PDA

View Full Version : This Finals Proved That the 2020 Ring Was the Weakest Championship Ever

Full Court
06-14-2023, 02:14 AM
For starters, the Western Conference this year was the weakest conference we've seen in a long, long time. Here's a breakdown of that from a very astute basketball analyst:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?511000-The-West-Right-Now-Is-the-Weakest-Conference-We-ve-Seen-In-Decades

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Nuggets - the way they play team basketball is beautiful to watch. I'm a huge fan. But they're major overachievers. Biggest overacheivers since Dirk's Mavs.

Now that said, the Heat this year were a much tougher team than the 2020 Heat in the finals. They had an uninjured Bam, which they didn't in 2020, and Lowry, Strus, and Vincent are tremendous role players. They only player they're missing right now worth mentioning is Tyler Herro, and he's a streaky shooter and a defensive negative.

And everyone's talking about how weak the Heat are. Well, if they're weak this year, what does that say about the 2020 Heat? And it STILL took the 2020 Lakers 6 games to put away the weakest finals team in the modern era.

So even if you ignore the bubble and Disney World aspects of it, it's STILL the weakest ring in the history of the sport.

Micku
06-14-2023, 02:34 AM
For starters, the Western Conference this year was the weakest conference we've seen in a long, long time. Here's a breakdown of that from a very astute basketball analyst:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?511000-The-West-Right-Now-Is-the-Weakest-Conference-We-ve-Seen-In-Decades

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Nuggets - the way they play team basketball is beautiful to watch. I'm a huge fan. But they're major overachievers. Biggest overacheivers since Dirk's Mavs.

Now that said, the Heat this year were a much tougher team than the 2020 Heat in the finals. They had an uninjured Bam, which they didn't in 2020, and Lowry, Strus, and Vincent are tremendous role players. They only player they're missing right now worth mentioning is Tyler Herro, and he's a streaky shooter and a defensive negative.

And everyone's talking about how weak the Heat are. Well, if they're weak this year, what does that say about the 2020 Heat? And it STILL took the 2020 Lakers 6 games to put away the weakest finals team in the modern era.

So even if you ignore the bubble and Disney World aspects of it, it's STILL the weakest ring in the history of the sport.

I hear a ton of ppl say stuff like this, right? And I wonder if everyone is young, don't remember, or do they actually think that 02, 03 Nets are better than the 2020 and the 2023 Heat team. And the 07 Cavs. And how good were the 2018 Cavs? Or the 99 Knicks?

What's the modern era to everyone? Post ABA merger?

Full Court
06-14-2023, 03:15 AM
I hear a ton of ppl say stuff like this, right? And I wonder if everyone is young, don't remember, or do they actually think that 02, 03 Nets are better than the 2020 and the 2023 Heat team. And the 07 Cavs. And how good were the 2018 Cavs? Or the 99 Knicks?

What's the modern era to everyone? Post ABA merger?

All those teams you mentioned were better than the 2020 Heat. Especially after Adebayo was out injured.

Micku
06-14-2023, 03:32 AM
All those teams you mentioned were better than the 2020 Heat. Especially after Adebayo was out injured.

To each their own.

Full Court
06-14-2023, 06:03 AM
To each their own.

Correct.

basketballcat
06-14-2023, 06:07 AM
Nah. Dumb take. The fact that 2023 and 2020 has the exact same final 4 is proof that 2020 wasn't a fluke. Besides, everybody was on common ground in 2020. Even competition for everyone. Haters are just salty because of who won. If it was their favourite team, it would have been a different tune. Enough of the dumb narratives.

Full Court
06-14-2023, 06:38 AM
Nah. Dumb take. The fact that 2023 and 2020 has the exact same final 4 is proof that 2020 wasn't a fluke. Besides, everybody was on common ground in 2020. Even competition for everyone. Haters are just salty because of who won. If it was their favourite team, it would have been a different tune. Enough of the dumb narratives.

Your take is the not very bright one. All four teams are very different. The Heat are clearly better than the 2020 Heat, and the 2020 Lakers were a FAR better team than the 2022 Nuggets. I'd love to hear you try to argue against that. Go for it.

basketballcat
06-14-2023, 07:47 AM
Your take is the not very bright one. All four teams are very different. The Heat are clearly better than the 2020 Heat, and the 2020 Lakers were a FAR better team than the 2022 Nuggets. I'd love to hear you try to argue against that. Go for it.

I love how you simply state your opinion as if they are facts. There is nothing to "argue". You have nothing. :kobe:

Here's a weak championship: 1992.
2 All NBA Bulls + 3 All Defensive Bulls vs 1 All NBA Blazers
Conf Finals opponents, the Cavs were a joke. Anybody here know who Brad Daugherty is? Exactly. He fixed installed by plumbed-in refrigerator.
Before that, 2 All NBA Bulls + 3 All Defensive Bulls vs 1 All NBA Knicks + 1 All Defensive Knicks. Weak.
First round was 2 All NBA Bulls vs 0 All NBA/Defensive Heat. Jesus.

Stacked team vs plumbers.

1996 was even more lopsided. Ludicrously so.
Bulls: 2 All NBA FIRST team + 3 (!) All Defensive FIRST team + Sixth Man of the Year + Coach of the Year. Possibly the most stacked team EVER. Extreme Mega Superteam.
Finals was against 2 All NBA SECOND team + 1 All Defensive team. Lopsided matchup.
Conf Finals was against Orlando. Babies. Shaq hasn't even weaned off milk. Penny hasn't learnt the alphabet yet.
Before that, the most stacked NBA team ever went against ... 6'0" Mookie Blaylock. He fixed my faucet once.
Before that was against Miami. Who the hell was even in Miami in 96? Nobody. They played against a bunch of chairs.

Plumber tournament.

Full Court
06-14-2023, 08:00 AM
I love how you simply state your opinion as if they are facts. There is nothing to "argue". You have nothing. :kobe:

Here's a weak championship: 1992.
2 All NBA Bulls + 3 All Defensive Bulls vs 1 All NBA Blazers
Conf Finals opponents, the Cavs were a joke. Anybody here know who Brad Daugherty is? Exactly. He fixed installed by plumbed-in refrigerator.
Before that, 2 All NBA Bulls + 3 All Defensive Bulls vs 1 All NBA Knicks + 1 All Defensive Knicks. Weak.
First round was 2 All NBA Bulls vs 0 All NBA/Defensive Heat. Jesus.

Stacked team vs plumbers.

1996 was even more lopsided. Ludicrously so.
Bulls: 2 All NBA FIRST team + 3 (!) All Defensive FIRST team + Sixth Man of the Year + Coach of the Year. Possibly the most stacked team EVER. Extreme Mega Superteam.
Finals was against 2 All NBA SECOND team + 1 All Defensive team. Lopsided matchup.
Conf Finals was against Orlando. Babies. Shaq hasn't even weaned off milk. Penny hasn't learnt the alphabet yet.
Before that, the most stacked NBA team ever went against ... 6'0" Mookie Blaylock. He fixed my faucet once.
Before that was against Miami. Who the hell was even in Miami in 96? Nobody. They played against a bunch of chairs.

Plumber tournament.

LOL. Completely ignore my challenge for a counter argument, and instead try to deflect to the Bulls with a lame damage control attempt.

Outed as a definite Bronie fluffer. :roll:

Nice try.

Lebron23
06-14-2023, 08:18 AM
Lakers beat the Nuggets and Heat in the playoffs

1987_Lakers
06-14-2023, 09:46 AM

Bam still played 4 games in the Finals in 2020, Miami was 1-3 in those games, including a 13 point loss in game 6 where Bam dropped 25|10|5.

Using the Bam injury excuse is pretty weak IMO. You had Butler playing out of his mind in the 2020 Finals and you completely ignore Butler played injured for the 2nd half of the '23 playoff run, his finals performance this year wasn't anywhere near 2020 level.

Like Micku said, there have been a handful of teams that made the Finals you could say were weaker than Miami. The '99 Knicks made the Finals without Ewing, those Nets teams who made back to back Finals didn't really stand a chance against the Lakers & Spurs. You also had the Cavs who were mostly a one man show in 2007 & 2018 make the Finals. That 2018 Cavs team in particular were dog shit without LeBron.

You also can't say "Those teams were better than Miami" and not back up your point with anything insightful, you do this all the time, all this tells me is that you don't know much about the previous teams who made the Finals.

But Miami's success as a team after 2020 proved to people they were not a fluke, which upsets the Bron haters.

Full Court
06-14-2023, 05:56 PM
Bam still played 4 games in the Finals in 2020, Miami was 1-3 in those games, including a 13 point loss in game 6 where Bam dropped 25|10|5.

Using the Bam injury excuse is pretty weak IMO. You had Butler playing out of his mind in the 2020 Finals and you completely ignore Butler played injured for the 2nd half of the '23 playoff run, his finals performance this year wasn't anywhere near 2020 level.

Like Micku said, there have been a handful of teams that made the Finals you could say were weaker than Miami. The '99 Knicks made the Finals without Ewing, those Nets teams who made back to back Finals didn't really stand a chance against the Lakers & Spurs. You also had the Cavs who were mostly a one man show in 2007 & 2018 make the Finals. That 2018 Cavs team in particular were dog shit without LeBron.

You also can't say "Those teams were better than Miami" and not back up your point with anything insightful, you do this all the time, all this tells me is that you don't know much about the previous teams who made the Finals.

But Miami's success as a team after 2020 proved to people they were not a fluke, which upsets the Bron haters.

You don't read very well. Even WITH Bam, the Heat were STILL the weakest finals team ever. Without him, they weren't even a playoff level team.

And yeah, Kyrie Irving is a nobody, right? :roll:

Desperate.

Full Court
06-14-2023, 05:57 PM
Lakers beat the Nuggets and Heat in the playoffs

You don't say!!!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FAnyQueasyFair yfly-max-1mb.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=80ae56eb90137f2df823be833de3e8a3726f9e69263cf9 e6d47898629509c0b2&ipo=images

Lebron23
06-14-2023, 06:29 PM
You don't say!!!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fthumbs.gfycat.com%2FAnyQueasyFair yfly-max-1mb.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=80ae56eb90137f2df823be833de3e8a3726f9e69263cf9 e6d47898629509c0b2&ipo=images

do you even have a job?? serious question

1987_Lakers
06-14-2023, 07:14 PM
You don't read very well. Even WITH Bam, the Heat were STILL the weakest finals team ever. Without him, they weren't even a playoff level team.

Desperate.

Kylie wasn’t on the 2018 Cavs dummy.

SATAN
06-14-2023, 07:42 PM
Toughest championship in NBA history without question.

dankok8
06-15-2023, 11:44 AM
2020 Heat had not only Bam out for 2 games and injured but also Dragic out injured in the finals and he was their leading scorer through the East playoffs. Given their record of performance and injury status, there is a solid case that the 2020 Heat are the worst team ever to make the finals.

Don't know how anyone could argue that the 2023 Heat aren't better than the 2020 Heat. They are way deeper, healthier and more experienced.

1987_Lakers
06-15-2023, 11:59 AM
2020 Heat had not only Bam out for 2 games and injured but also Dragic out injured in the finals and he was their leading scorer through the East playoffs. Given their record of performance and injury status, there is a solid case that the 2020 Heat are the worst team ever to make the finals.

Don't know how anyone could argue that the 2023 Heat aren't better than the 2020 Heat. They are way deeper, healthier and more experienced.

They are for sure a one of the weaker teams, but I can't flat out call them the weakest with some of the trash East teams that made the Finals from '99-'18.

Going way back, the '81 Rockets went 40-42 and made the Finals. The '76 Suns went 42-40. I'm taking Miami over those teams at least.

Edit: '71 Bullets were pretty weak too.

The fact that Miami was able to be legit contenders after 2020 shows me they were not a fluke, teams like the '71 Bullets & '76 Suns had losing records the next year after making the Finals.

ArbitraryWater
06-15-2023, 12:01 PM

Desperate.

:roll::roll:

he adds another one!

Hey Yo
06-15-2023, 12:03 PM
Denver didn't play a team higher than a 4 seed in route to the title. First time that's happened since the NBA went to the 16 team playoff format..... 40 seasons ago.

1987_Lakers
06-15-2023, 12:06 PM
:roll::roll:

he adds another one!

I swear, everytime he posts he says something foolish/flat out wrong.

I mean, how do you not know Kyrie wasn't on the '18 Cavs? It wasn't even that long ago. Dude just started watching basketball 2 years ago.

dankok8
06-15-2023, 12:57 PM
They are for sure a one of the weaker teams, but I can't flat out call them the weakest with some of the trash East teams that made the Finals from '99-'18.

Going way back, the '81 Rockets went 40-42 and made the Finals. The '76 Suns went 42-40. I'm taking Miami over those teams at least.

Edit: '71 Bullets were pretty weak too.

The fact that Miami was able to be legit contenders after 2020 shows me they were not a fluke, teams like the '71 Bullets & '76 Suns had losing records the next year after making the Finals.

You can make a case that some team was worse but the 2020 Heat still have a solid case as the worst.

Dbrog
06-15-2023, 12:57 PM
Denver didn't play a team higher than a 4 seed in route to the title. First time that's happened since the NBA went to the 16 team playoff format..... 40 seasons ago.

It is a crazy stat BUT we all know they beat the best teams in the playoffs, including easily the most stacked team. Nearly all of us predicted Suns in 5 or so and even after that, Lakers were certainly favorites over the Nuggs, seeding aside. I find it funny when people talk about "the finals woulda been different if the Celtics had made it." No it wouldn't. They woulda probably gotten swept because of their poor chemistry, coaching and mental weakness. Not the Nuggets fault that there isn't a standout team right now

Hey Yo
06-15-2023, 01:05 PM
It is a crazy stat BUT we all know they beat the best teams in the playoffs, including easily the most stacked team. Nearly all of us predicted Suns in 5 or so and even after that, Lakers were certainly favorites over the Nuggs, seeding aside. I find it funny when people talk about "the finals woulda been different if the Celtics had made it." No it wouldn't. They woulda probably gotten swept because of their poor chemistry, coaching and mental weakness. Not the Nuggets fault that there isn't a standout team right now

Not trying to take anything away from Denver, I'm glad they won and deserved to.

Was just merely pointing that statistic out for the OP's troll thread.

Dbrog
06-15-2023, 01:58 PM
Not trying to take anything away from Denver, I'm glad they won and deserved to.

Was just merely pointing that statistic out for the OP's troll thread.

Yup definitely. The amount of trolling here usually prevents any type of real discussion

Full Court
06-15-2023, 07:23 PM
Kylie wasn’t on the 2018 Cavs dummy.

I know that LeShrivel has a chronic history of underachieving, and that he led a super team to the lottery, but are you really going to try to make the team he led in 2018 was weaker than the 2023 Heat?

Color me intrigued.

Full Court
06-15-2023, 07:25 PM
do you even have a job?? serious question

I have a serious question for you, and if you answer it, I'll answer yours. I'll even make it multiple choice so it's super easy.

Does Lebron Raymone James Sr. have the most choke jobs in NBA history?

A. Most definitely

B. Without a doubt

C. Only an idiot would say otherwise

I would make a poll out of that, but it's probably only borderline thread-worthy.

SouBeachTalents
06-15-2023, 07:31 PM
I refuse to believe anybody actually thinks the 2020 Heat were worse than the '99 Knicks, Jason Kidd Nets or '07 Cavs. They were for sure a weak team, but the weakest ever? Nah :lol You get to pick one team to play in the Finals, nobody here is actually picking the Heat over the '99 Knicks.

RRR3
06-15-2023, 07:39 PM
You can make a case that some team was worse but the 2020 Heat still have a solid case as the worst.
No they don’t. We get it you hate LeBron but agreeing with full court is just pathetic trolling. The Heat have made it to the finals 2 of the last 4 years and it would have been 3 if Butler hit a last second shot. So either the East is really weak right now or they’re just a good team.

Full Court
06-15-2023, 07:39 PM
No they don’t. We get it you hate LeBron but agreeing with full court is just pathetic trolling. The Heat have made it to the finals 2 of the last 4 years and it would have been 3 if Butler hit a last second shot. So either the East is really weak right now or they’re just a good team.

Yes, they do. Lol.

No matter how much damage control you do.

kawhileonard2
06-26-2023, 11:40 PM
Yeah we can't count stuff without fans. Otherwise just go to the park and say those guys are the best.

John8204
06-27-2023, 05:04 AM
I would go with the Sonics ring over the old ass Bullets and no name Suns as the worst ring ever

Lebron23
06-27-2023, 05:21 AM
Bulls 2nd 3 peat

Full Court
06-27-2023, 07:49 AM
Bulls 2nd 3 peat

Idiotic.

Nice try, Shirley. :lol