PDA

View Full Version : 4 of 5 top NBA draft picks are not in college

bdonovan
06-19-2023, 04:31 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/37869579/2023-nba-draft-guide-date-how-watch-top-prospects

Victor Wembanyama, Metropolitans 92 in a French basketball league (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNB_Pro_A)
Brandon Miller | SF | Alabama
Scoot Henderson | PG | G League Ignite
Amen Thompson | PG | Overtime Elite
Ausar Thompson | SG | Overtime Elite

Overtime Elite: OTE offers the world's most talented basketball players a better pathway to becoming professional athletes. Overtime Elite is a professional basketball league for 16–20-year-olds, based in Atlanta, Georgia.

highwhey
06-19-2023, 04:41 PM
i rmbr when overtime was just starting out, they had job ads on craigslist offering you $50 to go take video of highlights at high school basketball games with your phone. this wasn't that long ago ether, like 2017. now they have a fukkin league?

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2023, 04:49 PM
College as a general social institution has long outlived its usefulness. It’s no different for athletes.

It just takes most of society quite a while to catch up to these things and realize it.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2023, 05:07 PM
Nil is gonna change a lot of this to the old days in time. A guy like scoot would make a lot more money in college now that he can playing for that gleague team that pays like half a million. Lebrons son makes more NIL money than the highest paid player in the euroleague believe it or not. He won’t end up with more after California taxes but straight salary hes the highest paid basketball player not in the NBA. And there are several more people making like…upper tier euroleague star money. And it’s guys you’ve never heard of.

And this system is just starting. Wait till you get another true phenom. You’ll make more money and have a higher quality of life and probably have a lot more fun as a college, NIL contract player than you will going into one of these leagues outside the NBA.

If you can make 6 to 10 million a season legally playing in college, you can build enough of a nest egg you don’t mind risking returning to stay the king of your city and live that life.

if Bronny is anywhere close to an all American, he would be smart to build his nest egg and be as good as he can be before he goes to the league because he’s not supposed to be some kind of NBA superstar. Kid makes 6 million a season in college. Id stay five years and be set for life with my own money. **** playing with my dad and coming off the bench fighting for a roster spot.

Be a millionaire on my own terms, and not be going to daddy for start up money or anything else. Family can come to my mansion for Thanksgiving. We don’t have to go to dad’s house.

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2023, 08:47 PM
Nil is gonna change a lot of this to the old days in time. A guy like scoot would make a lot more money in college now that he can playing for that gleague team that pays like half a million. Lebrons son makes more NIL money than the highest paid player in the euroleague believe it or not. He won’t end up with more after California taxes but straight salary hes the highest paid basketball player not in the NBA. And there are several more people making like…upper tier euroleague star money. And it’s guys you’ve never heard of.

And this system is just starting. Wait till you get another true phenom. You’ll make more money and have a higher quality of life and probably have a lot more fun as a college, NIL contract player than you will going into one of these leagues outside the NBA.

If you can make 6 to 10 million a season legally playing in college, you can build enough of a nest egg you don’t mind risking returning to stay the king of your city and live that life.

if Bronny is anywhere close to an all American, he would be smart to build his nest egg and be as good as he can be before he goes to the league because he’s not supposed to be some kind of NBA superstar. Kid makes 6 million a season in college. Id stay five years and be set for life with my own money. **** playing with my dad and coming off the bench fighting for a roster spot.

Be a millionaire on my own terms, and not be going to daddy for start up money or anything else. Family can come to my mansion for Thanksgiving. We don’t have to go to dad’s house.

I doubt college athletics survives this structure very long.

Most kids play for free. I think asking them to play alongside guys who are already making millions just for their image will turn a lot of players off. It's a lot different than playing with guys who are GOING to be prospects, but while you're all in college, you're all on equal terms.

Or lets say a big time player is cognizant of this and decides to share the wealth with his team to keep everyone happy. How motivated are teams gonna be when the players are all driving around in mercedes and can make it rain every night at the club?? It's gonna create a lot of apathy, attitude, and a crappy product IMO.

Either way, I dont see a system in which a handful of top guys are paid big money while everyone else volunteers as being a very sustainable product.

That said, it's all moot anyway. The kids involved in it now should enjoy it while the opportunity exists. College sports as we've known them for the past 100 years probably wont exist anymore in 10 years. Not because of the NIL stuff, but because the nature of changes coming to general society are extreme, and paradigm changing. The old school education system will soon be obsolete. Finally paying college athletes is like finally putting Rosa Parks or whoever on paper currency. That's cute they finally did it but they waited until it's about to go bye bye anyway.

Five years from now the whole discussion will be immaterial.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2023, 08:58 PM
If you think college sports are going away you have shockingly little respect for the motivational aspect of 12 year 30 billion dollar contracts. One drive through the he south you’d see how much money is being made off these things. Take your ass to Alabama. Not even the one you’re thinking of. Drive through Auburn Alabama. This discussion would be over.

The SEC and Big Ten country alone will not let college sports die. It’s a load bearing wall of those societies.

There will always be kids who want free college and local fame. College football and basketball will outlive us all.

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2023, 09:30 PM
If you think college sports are going away you have shockingly little respect for the motivational aspect of 12 year 30 billion dollar contracts. One drive through the he south you’d see how much money is being made off these things. Take your ass to Alabama. Not even the one you’re thinking of. Drive through Auburn Alabama. This discussion would be over.

The SEC and Big Ten country alone will not let college sports die. It’s a load bearing wall of those societies.

There will always be kids who want free college and local fame. College football and basketball will outlive us all.

The issue I'm talking about is way bigger than the economics of the SEC.

https://youtu.be/r5sw-6lJmTA

What college is, as a concept, is not economically sustainable. Like so many other things, we in the first world have had the benefit of indulging in many unsustainable things because we've been able to easily shove the cost burden off in two directions: The rest of the world, and the future.

The end of this tether is coming very quickly. More quickly than most realize. Moreover, there is nothing for kids to learn in school anymore. The knowledge anyone could even teach a grade schooler today, will likely all be obsolete in 25 years. The pace and depth of change society is about to undergo is coming like a tsunami.

Nobody 100 years ago thought anything happening in our world today would be remotely possible or that anyone would agree to it if it were possible. That kind of change is going to happen in the next... 25 years. Or less.

Trust me. Big picture? College is dunzo. It's got 10 more years at best.

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2023, 09:33 PM
India just DROPPED evolution and the periodic table from its nationwide school curriculum.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-01750-2

People have no idea whats going down big picture. But trust me. It IS going down.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2023, 09:38 PM
So Harvard and its 50 billion endowment is just gonna evaporate by 2033?

The unrealistic things I read on the internet daily never fail to amaze.

Think what you will. But don’t do making any substantial bets on it. Colleges and college athletics will be around long after you die. I’ll probably still be here in ten years for you to move the goal posts like a global warming alarmist. I’ll remind you.

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2023, 09:43 PM
So Harvard and its 50 billion endowment is just gonna evaporate by 2033?

The unrealistic things I read on the internet daily never fail to amaze.

Think what you will. But don’t do making any substantial bets on it. Colleges and college athletics will be around long after you die. I’ll probably still be here in ten years for you to move the goal posts like a global warming alarmist. I’ll remind you.

Betting on things not to change is highly imprudent, to state it mildly.

But as you wish.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2023, 09:50 PM
Everything changes in time. But the sun is more likely to go nova the next ten years than college football not existing. It will absolutely not happen. It just won’t. Talk yourself into something less absurd to cling to.

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2023, 09:54 PM
Everything changes in time. But the sun is more likely to go nova the next ten years than college football not existing. It will absolutely not happen. It just won’t. Talk yourself into something less absurd to cling to.

Today the most popular sports are football and basketball.

100 years ago the most popular sports were baseball and track n field.

300 years ago it was horse polo and fox hunting.

1500 years ago it was nude greco roman wrestling.

If you think anything lasts forever baby boy..... THINK AGAIN.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2023, 09:59 PM
Already moving goal posts and talking changes over hundreds of years I see.

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2023, 10:00 PM

There's less time than you realize.

I am certain of it.

highwhey
06-19-2023, 10:07 PM

:roll:

Kblaze8855
06-19-2023, 10:20 PM
There's less time than you realize.

I am certain of it.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeriodicHiddenDarklingbeetle-size_restricted.gif

FultzNationRISE
06-19-2023, 10:29 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PeriodicHiddenDarklingbeetle-size_restricted.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/KDVswimTNahWzcd7sV/giphy.gif

elementally morale
06-19-2023, 10:59 PM
Big systems are very resilient for a long long time... until they aren't any more. Change starts very slowly, then becoming linear then exponential... and most of the time when systems fail they do so in a very abrupt fashion. So the pace of change today is by no means a good indicator of the speed of change 5, 10 or 20 years from now. It is going to happen very fast at a certain point up until which it will seem like nothing is going to happen or if it is very slowly. I doubt it will be slow. Empires fall down very fast. The Berlin wall stood for like 30 years. But building it took a weekend and tearing it down even less. It seemed like it would never happen, yet in 1989 it happened pretty abruptly. It's hard to tell which year our society as we know it ceases to function but the present status quo of endless and exponential growth will very soon come to an end. Most probably along with the collapse of the monetary system. There simply isn't enough energy and materials to sustain growth, and if there isn't growth loans cannot be paid back and banks fail. When that's about to happen society will change in almost an instant. I wouldn't say it 3 or 5 years but it looks to be less than 15. All biophysical models point in that direction.

Kblaze8855
06-19-2023, 11:31 PM
Society has been collapsing “soon” for at least a thousand years.

It changes. It doesn’t really collapse.

And even if it did…Alabama/Auburn would still draw 80% ratings locally and fill whatever stadium it’s played in.

elementally morale
06-19-2023, 11:42 PM
Society has been collapsing “soon” for at least a thousand years.

It changes. It doesn’t really collapse.

And even if it did…Alabama/Auburn would still draw 80% ratings locally and fill whatever stadium it’s played in.

Locally it has collapsed many times. Empires bit the dust. Globally it couldn't collapse because... well... it just wasn't global. However, I agree with some of what you are saying: some institutions and pastimes remain unchanged for much longer. I can absolutely imagine sports will be one of them. Not in the form we know them today but still. Also, I believe our way of living won't necessarily collapse. It is just going to change big time and it won't resemble it's current state. But the US and Canada are in pretty good shape due to huge territory, capable army and lots of resources. Being surrounded by oceans also helps. Europe's demise is pretty inevitable though. I think the NBA and NFL will stay for a long time... just not in the form we know them today.

plowking
06-20-2023, 05:59 AM
4 of the top 5 players in the league about to be non American once Wemby gets going.

Jokic, Embiid, Giannis and Wemby... Shit if Luka cracks it up there, that is 5 out of 5.

paksat
06-20-2023, 07:58 AM
imagine going to the nba draft in person and seeing your team about to announce it's pick..."and with the 3rd overall pick, the ____ select ____ _____, a guy you've never heard of nor ever seen play, from a league you've never heard of as well."

we've come a long way from the 2003 nba draft

90sgoat
06-20-2023, 08:46 AM
College as a general social institution has long outlived its usefulness. It’s no different for athletes.

It just takes most of society quite a while to catch up to these things and realize it.

I hate to agree, but yeah.

There's really nothing to a college degree anymore unless it's requirement for becoming a doctor or something and better hope it isn't an affirmative action doctor.

90sgoat
06-20-2023, 08:46 AM
4 of the top 5 players in the league about to be non American once Wemby gets going.

Jokic, Embiid, Giannis and Wemby... Shit if Luka cracks it up there, that is 5 out of 5.

Americans will still act as if nothing is wrong AAU.