PDA

View Full Version : Who’s allowed to win MVP next year?

FultzNationRISE
06-26-2023, 01:39 PM
A lot of people said Jokic shouldnt be allowed to win it last year because hed won 2 MVPs already without winning a title. Sort of a strange logic but it’s what a lot of people went with.

Who’s not allowed to win it this year, regardless of the season they have? Is Embiid disqualified for having already amassed an MVP and two runner-ups whilst being a conference finals virgin?

What about Giannis? He went out in the first round last year. And Luka didnt even make the playoffs. Should they be eligible for an MVP this year?

What do you guys think?

MrFonzworth
06-26-2023, 01:53 PM

90sgoat
06-26-2023, 02:07 PM
I think it's time for the first woman to win it.

White Hammer
06-26-2023, 02:24 PM
Just give it to Embiid so we have 3 consecutive B2B winners. That would be cool. Plus we can start pretending again that he's on the same level as Jokic and Giannis.

Kblaze8855
06-26-2023, 02:39 PM
I just don’t wanna keep hearing that worn out “I know it’s a regular season award” caveat from people clearly about to say something that suggests they don’t. To be clear if you wanna make who did what in previous years playoffs a deciding factor in future MVPs…whatever. But just say that. Spare me the “I know it’s not about the playoffs or the past” part of the argument.

You clearly don’t care what the award is supposed to be for so let’s just get right to it and acknowledge you have your own criteria and will happily use playoff results from the last few years to determine if someone is regular season mvp now. Just own it. Whatever the conclusion you draw it’s always the same few guys getting all the picks so you won’t look like an idiot unless you really come outta left field some “Pascal Siakam” shit.
. Hell Chris Paul got 2 first place votes in 2021. I don’t see any manhunt for those voters.

It’s not that big a deal. Vote for who you vote for just own your reasons.

Smook A.
06-26-2023, 03:09 PM
Hard to imagine Embiid winning MVP again next season. Obviously playoffs don't count for the MVP, but you can strongly argue that it can definitely control the narrative for the season after. Giannis ended up disappointing in the 2020 playoffs where he was coming off his 2nd MVP, and after an amazing 2020-21 season, he didn't even finish in the top 3. Jokic lost in the 1st round in 2022, and one of the things that got brought up a lot by fans and the media is that his lack of success in the playoffs is the reason why he shouldn't be crowned a 3rd straight MVP. Embiid just came off another poor playoff performance and he's somehow gonna need to average even better numbers than last season to impress the voters.

tontoz
06-26-2023, 05:15 PM
I hope everyone realizes that Jokic really didn't want the MVP this season. It really seemed like he deliberately tanked the end of the season to avoid it.

Wardell Curry
06-26-2023, 05:43 PM
I hope everyone realizes that Jokic really didn't want the MVP this season. It really seemed like he deliberately tanked the end of the season to avoid it.

Joel Embiid won it the moment Kendrick Perkins strongly implied racism was afoot, lol. That's literally the 2023 MVP award in a nutshell. There is no telling what will happen year to year because of x-factors like this.

Well, Perkins ended up being right. Jokic didn't get his third because of his skin color.

Axe
06-26-2023, 06:08 PM
Definitely not this cocky prick. :oldlol:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStF1D9Z_dbUqZC96BlAJ0BbtnpJMjWB tJO8w&usqp=CAU

tontoz
06-26-2023, 06:20 PM
Definitely not this cocky prick. :oldlol:

He wasn't going to win even if he hadn't shot himself in the foot. :lol

Akeem34TheDream
06-26-2023, 06:25 PM
Doncic's arc has been pretty stale so winning a MVP would do great for his character development. We will see what the writers choose.

StrongLurk
06-26-2023, 07:52 PM
Jokic will win MVP and another ring if his team is healthy next year.

FultzNationRISE
06-26-2023, 08:03 PM
Jokic will win MVP and another ring if his team is healthy next year.

Ill be surprised if he’s in the MVP race tbh. I think he’ll take an even further step back in usage next season to give teammates more touches and opportunities. Of course he did that this year and still wound up dominating. But I expect he’ll defer as much as possible next season so long as they can still win games. They may rest him more next season too.

kawhileonard2
06-26-2023, 11:09 PM
It's Kawhi's year!

tontoz
06-27-2023, 08:13 AM
It's Kawhi's year!

The 65 game limit eliminates him from consideration.