PDA

View Full Version : Victor Wembanyama versus Chet Holmgren

Gotterdammerung
06-27-2023, 08:31 PM
Two of the best prospects to hit the basketball floor in the last two drafts, Wemby and Chet are uniquely similar as well as fascinatingly different.

They both have tremendous height, shot-blocking prowess, exceptional dribbling skills, functional jumpshots - almost mirroring each other.

However, from my observations, Wemby has the edge when it comes to agility and ball-handling, which is pretty amazing for guy his size. His dribble looks more fluid and tighter on drives, allowing him to face up from the post and get to his preferred spots more efficiently. His lateral movement, maybe even speed seems superior. He is more akin to a wing player trapped in a big man's body by showcasing a guard or wing skillset that's awfully reminiscent of early Kevin Durant.

Physically Wemby also has the slight advantage. He is younger, more skilled and has a stronger and more filled out frame, weighing at least 230 lbs and has an 8-foot wingspan. This length aids his slightly inferior defensive instincts, tho he remains formidable.

Holmgren, at 7' 1" has made progress physically. He's upped his weight from last year at the draft (194) to 209 lbs. Wingspan is 7' 6".

But Holmgren's defensive skills comes through with better timing on blocks, likely due to a faster second jump. Plus he shows superior passing skills, which makes him a highly valuable system player on the court. His game seems closer to an oversized point guard like Lonzo Ball. His ability to space the floor and maintain the offensive flow with timely pass-cut and screens and play solid team defense is excellent. His 3 point shooting also seems better than Wemby's.
:durantunimpressed:

FultzNationRISE
06-27-2023, 08:46 PM
I understand why people who enjoy the individual ‘art’ of basketball would look at guys like KD and Melo and Kyrie and maybe now Wemby and evaluate them very highly for being able to isolate, shake and bake a defender and step back for a jumper.

But in today’s spacing game, with the efficiency guys shoot the ball from 3, passing and playmaking is really just the more important aspect versus how smooth your crossover pullup is. Youre not gonna beat ball movement teams by riding a midrange isolation superstar anymore. It’s just not where the game is at.

So I think it’s really everything else that will define how good these guys become. Touch around the basket, passing out of the post, making plays off dribble penetration, and of course shooting when theyre open. But I dont really care about Wemby’s ‘burst’ getting him separation for a pullup two pointer. That just doesnt really matter anymore. You have to know how to use the rest of the guys on the court these days. I think whoever can more comfortably use their skill to get teammates opportunities is gonna have the bigger impact.

Im Still Ballin
06-28-2023, 01:07 PM
Your analysis is great. I wouldn't be surprised if Chet wins ROY over Victor. He's on a better team that'll compete for a playoff spot and will probably look great within its system. It's also good to hear he's up to 209 pounds. I feel like he could reach 230-240 in a few seasons.

PP34Deuce
06-29-2023, 09:12 AM
Wemby is shiftier and chet is a few steps above defensively. Potentially though wemby has fluidity like a guard offensively.

Lakers Legend#32
06-29-2023, 03:54 PM
Gonna love seeing that pick blow up in OKC's face.

Oklahoma Rednecks Stole The Sonics.

highwhey
06-29-2023, 03:55 PM
what kind of bullchet is this

theman93
06-29-2023, 03:56 PM
Paolo > both of them

Axe
06-29-2023, 03:59 PM
Paolo > both of them
Lmao

90sgoat
06-29-2023, 09:29 PM
Next season is going to be fun.

theman93
06-29-2023, 09:35 PM
Lmao

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FsQmgw5WAAIxNQm.jpg:large

k0kakw0rld
11-14-2023, 08:25 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/LspCXZnc/i.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Tonight is the night, Let's gooooooo :banana:

SATAN
11-14-2023, 08:42 PM
Nice dunk by ROTY :pimp:

FultzNationRISE
11-14-2023, 08:50 PM
I understand why people who enjoy the individual ‘art’ of basketball would look at guys like KD and Melo and Kyrie and maybe now Wemby and evaluate them very highly for being able to isolate, shake and bake a defender and step back for a jumper.

But in today’s spacing game, with the efficiency guys shoot the ball from 3, passing and playmaking is really just the more important aspect versus how smooth your crossover pullup is. Youre not gonna beat ball movement teams by riding a midrange isolation superstar anymore. It’s just not where the game is at.

So I think it’s really everything else that will define how good these guys become. Touch around the basket, passing out of the post, making plays off dribble penetration, and of course shooting when theyre open. But I dont really care about Wemby’s ‘burst’ getting him separation for a pullup two pointer. That just doesnt really matter anymore. You have to know how to use the rest of the guys on the court these days. I think whoever can more comfortably use their skill to get teammates opportunities is gonna have the bigger impact.

So far so good from Yama on this front. He looks willing and able to do ‘the other things.’ Which I never really doubted he would be, just didnt want people to see the summer league shake n bake stuff and think that guaranteed him to be an impact guy. But hes def got the right mentality so theres no doubt he’ll be a success.

Xiao Yao You
11-14-2023, 08:53 PM
So far so good from Yama on this front. He looks willing and able to do ‘the other things.’ Which I never really doubted he would be, just didnt want people to see the summer league shake n bake stuff and think that guaranteed him to be an impact guy. But hes def got the right mentality so theres no doubt he’ll be a success.

there's plenty of doubt as to rather his body will hold up

FultzNationRISE
11-14-2023, 09:02 PM
there's plenty of doubt as to rather his body will hold up

It’s an unknown, but Im speaking on the assumption his career WONT be significantly affected by injuries. Obviously there are no guarantees.

Hey Yo
11-14-2023, 09:36 PM
Big Chet throws the hammer down to end the half.

FultzNationRISE
11-14-2023, 09:55 PM
Big Chet throws the hammer down to end the half.

The pass from Giddey was the nicest part of the play.

But both big guys look comfortable out there. Chet has a big advantage in that his team is just better and more experienced, and hes been around them since last year even tho he didnt play. You can tell it’s just a much more organized offense and he knows how he fits into it and can just play.

But Yama looks good as far as makin what he can of a limited Spurs offense. His shooting is up and down but he can make quick decisions, quick moves, and seems to be gaining a greater comfort level by the game.

OKC tho… theyve got some kinda future. Remind me of the Celtics in terms of the core being young, and really not having any holes on the roster. Added to which OKC has a shit ton of picks to package.

Probably still TOO young to threaten anything now. But long term theyre sittin pretty.

elementally morale
11-14-2023, 10:25 PM
But Yama looks good as far as makin what he can of a limited Spurs offense. His shooting is up and down but he can make quick decisions, quick moves, and seems to be gaining a greater comfort level by the game.

From what I've seen from him Wemby rushes his shots. Even his inside shots. Quick decision is one thing but he should take his time. His shots in the post are flat. No arc at all. Not even the ones when he uses the backboard. If anything, he should slow down on offense. (I'm not watching tonight's game these are observations from earlier games.)

Xiao Yao You
11-14-2023, 10:28 PM
From what I've seen from him Wemby rushes his shots. Even his inside shots. Quick decision is one thing but he should take his time. His shots in the post are flat. No arc at all. Not even the ones when he uses the backboard. If anything, he should slow down on offense. (I'm not watching tonight's game these are observations from earlier games.)

He uses the backboard? Duncan must've worked with him. No one banks shots anymore

tpols
11-14-2023, 10:32 PM
They're both nice but the spurs talent outside wembanyama is nowhere close to what OKC has outside chet.

k0kakw0rld
11-14-2023, 11:10 PM
They're both nice but the spurs talent outside wembanyama is nowhere close to what OKC has outside chet.

Stop playing the players. Popovich is finished. No more ideas, he needs to retire already

3ba11
11-15-2023, 01:40 PM
Wemby has 10 points higher in usage, which kills his advanced stats compared to Holmgren, who has more help and can take better shots.. Holmgren also had a year to figure out his proper load on that team

3ba11
11-15-2023, 01:56 PM
Wemby has 10 points higher in usage, which kills his advanced stats compared to Holmgren, who has more help and can take better shots.. However, I believe Wemby commands those extra touches because he will always anchor an offense, while Holmgren is more of a spot-up shooter and rim runner - I don't see him being able to dominate with jumpshooting the way that Wemby might be able to do in a couple years. Wemby is also likely to develop a jump hook in the off-season

Hey Yo
11-15-2023, 02:09 PM
He uses the backboard? Duncan must've worked with him. No one banks shots anymore

Westbrook still does.

FultzNationRISE
11-15-2023, 02:14 PM
Wemby has 10 points higher in usage, which kills his advanced stats compared to Holmgren, who has more help and can take better shots.. Holmgren also had a year to figure out his proper load on that team

Yeah, plus Chet is 2 years older, which is easy to forget since this is first year being on the court. At their age two years can make a pretty big difference.

In reality there is no final conclusions to draw or comparisons to make when theyve just started the first two weeks of a 15 year career. Other than that both clearly are very talented and highly likely to be successful.

FultzNationRISE
11-15-2023, 02:15 PM
Westbrook still does.

I think he meant on purpose.

Hey Yo
11-15-2023, 02:21 PM
:oldlol:

k0kakw0rld
11-15-2023, 03:47 PM
Wemby has 10 points higher in usage, which kills his advanced stats compared to Holmgren, who has more help and can take better shots.. However, I believe Wemby commands those extra touches because he will always anchor an offense, while Holmgren is more of a spot-up shooter and rim runner - I don't see him being able to dominate with jumpshooting the way that Wemby might be able to do in a couple years. Wemby is also likely to develop a jump hook in the off-season

Shai is the thunder's Superstar and primary ball handler.

Xiao Yao You
11-15-2023, 03:48 PM
I think he meant on purpose.

:roll:

Mask the Embiid
11-15-2023, 05:00 PM
Silver won’t like this. Expect each to get 20 fts a piece the next time they play to make them look larger than life

90sgoat
11-15-2023, 07:57 PM
Chet averages 15 ppg?

Not exactly world beater stats as a rookie.

Wemby's statline is beginning to resemble Michael Carter Williams, at least shooting wise.

SATAN
11-26-2023, 09:55 PM
Wemby having a decent game....

8 minutes left in the first half... Wemby just went to the bench with 14 points, 7 boards, 3 steals, 1 block 2-4 from 3.......

Hey Yo
11-26-2023, 11:06 PM
Spurs down by 30 in the 4th.... Wendy still in stat paddin

Xiao Yao You
11-26-2023, 11:09 PM
Spurs down by 30 in the 4th.... Wendy still in stat paddin

stat padding or getting developmental minutes

highwhey
11-26-2023, 11:12 PM
chet is the chet

wemby is overhyped

SATAN
11-26-2023, 11:58 PM
Spurs are wasting his time imo.

SATAN
01-24-2024, 10:20 PM

fsvr54
01-24-2024, 11:49 PM
Chet averages 15 ppg?

Not exactly world beater stats as a rookie.

Wemby's statline is beginning to resemble Michael Carter Williams, at least shooting wise.

Chet is at best 3rd option on his team and plays a lesser role on offense. Use your brain much?