PDA

View Full Version : NBA to vote on two new officiating rules

bison
06-30-2023, 03:24 PM
-In-game penalties for flopping. If a ref catches a guy flopping, he will be awarded a technical foul.

-2nd coach’s challenge. If a team wins their first coach challenge they are awarded a second one to use in the game.

OK I hate this for one reason: it’s another excuse to stop the game and show commercials. The game is starting to get bogged down by replay reviews. There should be a common sense approach to flopping: if a guy flops, just simply NOT call a foul. Let the boys play. Instead it’s gonna be more replay and review.

As for the coaches challenge, it’s a good idea on paper. But my experience is that some bad calls still don’t get overturned so I don’t think the confidence in this officiating rule necessitates a SECOND coaching challenge.

Again it’s all an excuse to show more commercials from State Farm and KIA.

ArbitraryWater
06-30-2023, 03:32 PM
-In-game penalties for flopping. If a ref catches a guy flopping, he will be awarded a technical foul.

-2nd coach’s challenge. If a team wins their first coach challenge they are awarded a second one to use in the game.

OK I hate this for one reason: it’s another excuse to stop the game and show commercials. The game is starting to get bogged down by replay reviews. There should be a common sense approach to flopping: if a guy flops, just simply NOT call a foul. Let the boys play. Instead it’s gonna be more replay and review.

this.

And also we willhave now have players embellishing contact on fouls, be called a flop on instead of a foul which it still is.

The challenge thing is good.

bison
06-30-2023, 03:48 PM
The flawed referring has always been a feature of the league, not a defect. We see bad ref’ing on a nightly basis but rarely is it ever the sole factor in the outcome of a game,
And never has one single call been responsible for deciding a game alone. I’ve seen it in baseball and football. But not basketball. Basketball is still too fluid to be decided by one play or call alone (even if it seems that way to us as fans). It’s not always obvious where the line is drawn between a charge and a block for example. But like I said this is a feature. It’s a human element to the game and the controversy over calls makes basketball more exciting. Over officiating ruins this balance.

Duffy Pratt
06-30-2023, 03:49 PM
Challenge thing is OK. Should be decided by someone besides the refs. And you should never run out of successful challenges. Moreover, refs should start being fined for exceeding thresholds on successful challenges.

On the flop thing, why not do it like they do cumulative techs now. Don’t do it in game. Instead, let teams designate a certain number of plays as potential flops after a game. League reviews. Player accumulates a certain number of flops and he is suspended for a game - but for the next game on the team that called the most flops on him. Teams that designate too many non-flops get penalized for it (cash fine). Doesn’t hold up the game, but might actually start deterring the flop. What they are talking about now will be about as effective as the continual pronouncements that they will clamp down on carrying the ball.

Also, they shoul change the rule so refs can call delay of game when the inbounds pass after a basket just rolls and rolls. It is as much a delay of game as the defense holding onto the ball for too long.

elementally morale
06-30-2023, 04:44 PM
As for flopping, I'd give the flopper a regular foul. Easy to foul out that way.

The 2nd challenge... problem is it takes minutes to get the call right even when it is pretty damn obvious. It could be done in 45 seconds. If 3 refs can't work it out on two monitors in that timeframe than it should be decided by a coin flip. Lot's of challenges end up being coin flips anyway.

bison
06-30-2023, 05:39 PM
Challenge thing is OK. Should be decided by someone besides the refs. And you should never run out of successful challenges. Moreover, refs should start being fined for exceeding thresholds on successful challenges..

So you want infinite challenges and then another governing body to review whether those challenges are correct? :facepalm: it’s like some people want nba to be less of a sport and more of a court room drama. I think a limit of one coaches challenge is fine. Once you have second one, then coaches are gonna start challenging more petty fouls. I don’t want to watch that.

As for flopping…my god let’s stop overthinking this. No single rule is gonna stop basketball behavior. It has to be done organically. Want to stop flopping? Then stop calling fouls on flops. Swallow the whistle. And maybe the refs don’t blow a whistle on a guy who was fouled but tried to sell it dramatically. Again, if a guy gets fouled but embellishes it and realizes the refs don’t call it; he will stop embellishing. It might take a while but eventually players will learn that flopping, embellishing and acting won’t get whistles and we’d have a more honest and entertaining game as a result.

90sgoat
06-30-2023, 05:39 PM
I think it is a good idea if they actually give techs.

Football, which is rife with flopping has always given yellow cards for flopping.

bison
06-30-2023, 05:41 PM
As for flopping, I'd give the flopper a regular foul. Easy to foul out that way.

No. Just don’t call it. Let the flopper look stupid.

Real Men Wear Green
06-30-2023, 06:23 PM
The flopping tech is doable without stopping the game. They can have an independent review team that watches every game live with an eye for flopping. When they catch one call it in and shoot the free throws at the next stoppage of play.

Norcaliblunt
06-30-2023, 06:47 PM
I feel like the players need to police themselves when it comes to flopping. Like how hockey and baseball have unwritten player codes you don’t break or else dudes are fighting.

NBA players need to change their own culture. If you start flopping a goon is gonna came in and check you.

Jasper
06-30-2023, 07:35 PM

As for the coaches challenge, it’s a good idea on paper. But my experience is that some bad calls still don’t get overturned so I don’t think the confidence in this officiating rule necessitates a SECOND coaching challenge.

Again it’s all an excuse to show more commercials from State Farm and KIA.

I really believe in season challenges should be 2 a game.

Playoffs win one , you get another for a max of 3

game is getting very very fast

Duffy Pratt
07-01-2023, 02:06 PM
So you want infinite challenges and then another governing body to review whether those challenges are correct? :facepalm: it’s like some people want nba to be less of a sport and more of a court room drama. I think a limit of one coaches challenge is fine. Once you have second one, then coaches are gonna start challenging more petty fouls. I don’t want to watch that.

As for flopping…my god let’s stop overthinking this. No single rule is gonna stop basketball behavior. It has to be done organically. Want to stop flopping? Then stop calling fouls on flops. Swallow the whistle. And maybe the refs don’t blow a whistle on a guy who was fouled but tried to sell it dramatically. Again, if a guy gets fouled but embellishes it and realizes the refs don’t call it; he will stop embellishing. It might take a while but eventually players will learn that flopping, embellishing and acting won’t get whistles and we’d have a more honest and entertaining game as a result.

I don’t want infinite challenges. If you successfully challenge, you still have a challenge. If you are unsuccessful, then you lose the challenge. As for who decides, you simply have a replay official - can be there or at a central league office. Don’t let the person who made the call decide whether he was right in making the call.

On flopping, I would agree with you except the officials won’t do it. They will say they’ll do it, and it might last for a game or two, but we will soon be back to where we are.

Jimmy Rustler
07-01-2023, 03:52 PM
They better enact #1. The most needed rule in the sport.

I'm not a fan of coach's challenges though. Wasn't needed, and we certainly don't need more of them.