06-30-2023, 08:51 PM
40+ million per year? :eek:

BurningHammer
06-30-2023, 08:54 PM

Betting on himself and winning. Congrats to FVV. :applause:

BurningHammer
06-30-2023, 08:54 PM
I wonder who will be Raptors' main PG now? Scottie?

Kblaze8855
06-30-2023, 08:56 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ExhaustedWickedAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif

RRR3
06-30-2023, 08:57 PM
One of the worst contracts I've ever seen given out. FVV is a nice player but he's now the second highest paid PG in the NBA.

ArbitraryWater
06-30-2023, 08:58 PM
lmao

highwhey
06-30-2023, 09:00 PM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ExhaustedWickedAmericanbobtail-size_restricted.gif

i guess when cp3's corpse earns him 30+ million it sets the precedent

highwhey
06-30-2023, 09:00 PM
Betting on himself and winning. Congrats to FVV. :applause:

good for him on that, just seems bad but houston wasn't going to do much else with that money ether

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 09:03 PM
One of the worst contracts I've ever seen given out. FVV is a nice player but he's now the second highest paid PG in the NBA.

When are you guys going to learn?

And, no, I'm not saying he is worth this in a vacuum...you just have to learn that these deals are not what you think they are if everyone is getting huge money.

Blaze and I have been trying to tell everyone this for well over a year. This is why Beal's contract was never going to be even 10% as bad as most claimed...

Kblaze8855
06-30-2023, 09:05 PM

please put a couple seconds of thought into this. You have a team full of young players and you’re 40 or $50 million below the salary floor. Meaning if you sign nobody you’re still going to pay the money to your current players. What harm do you do signing somebody to a short but large contract to get you salary compliant when half the contenders in the league will be shopping for a player like that this coming season or the next and they can give you draft capital and expiring contracts for this player because they don’t have the cap room to sign him outright? when Riley calls at the deadline offering Kyle Lowry and Oladipo, both on expiring deals for this guy to help them in the playoffs and throws in draft picks….

What did you actually lose by signing this deal?

you didn’t lose a penny of additional money, and you gained more draft picks.

Knowing all this, if you worked for the Rockets, why would you tell them not to do this?

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:05 PM
When are you guys going to learn?

And, no, I'm not saying he is worth this in a vacuum...you just have to learn that these deals are not what you think they are if everyone is getting huge money.

Blaze and I have been trying to tell everyone this for well over a year. This is why Beal's contract was never going to be even 10% as bad as most claimed...
Explain how this isn't a terrible deal. They just drafted a PG too. It just takes away shots from their young guys. Literally everyone is saying this is an all time bad signing, stop being a contrarian.

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:06 PM
please put a couple seconds of thought into this. You have a team full of young players and you’re 40 or $50 million below the salary floor. Meaning if you sign nobody you’re still going to pay the money to your current players. What harm do you do signing somebody to a short but large contract to get you salary compliant when half the contenders in the league will be shopping for a player like that this coming season or the next and they can give you draft capital and expiring contracts for this player because they don’t have the cap room to sign him outright? when Riley calls at the deadline offering Kyle Lowry and Oladipo, both on expiring deals for this guy to help them in the playoffs and throws in draft picks….

Knowing all this, if you worked for the Rockets, why would you tell them not to do this?
So there were no better ways for them to use this money? They just drafted a point guard.

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 09:06 PM

At this point, I don't think they'll ever learn. I really don't.

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 09:09 PM
Explain how this isn't a terrible deal. They just drafted a PG too. It just takes away shots from their young guys. Literally everyone is saying this is an all time bad signing, stop being a contrarian.

I'm not being a contrarian...I'm just giving you my opinion on this stuff...

He's a good player...he will help your team....the Rockets have nothing to lose...only something to gain. He will help teach the young guys how to play and win. They are far away from contending...I don't think you have thought, at all, about this.

Why is it bad? FVV is an asset...teams will want him on their team. If you want to move him...you'll be able to move him for salary and a pick.

ArbitraryWater
06-30-2023, 09:09 PM
damn

blaze and dmavs double penetrating existence is pain

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:10 PM
damn

blaze and dmavs double penetrating existence is pain
You legit just laughed at the deal a few posts ago, are you seriously too stupid to remember that?

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:11 PM
I'm not being a contrarian...I'm just giving you my opinion on this stuff...

He's a good player...he will help your team....the Rockets have nothing to lose...only something to gain. He will help teach the young guys how to play and win. They are far away from contending...I don't think you have thought, at all, about this.

Why is it bad? FVV is an asset...teams will want him on their team. If you want to move him...you'll be able to move him for salary and a pick.
FVV is an inefficient chucker and plays the same position as the guy they just drafted 4th overall. Easily could have spent the money on some vet role players. Raptors fans have been complaining about his selfishness for a while, why are you acting like he's some culture builder?

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 09:15 PM
FVV is an inefficient chucker and plays the same position as the guy they just drafted 4th overall. Easily could have spent the money on some vet role players. Raptors fans have been complaining about his selfishness for a while, why are you acting like he's some culture builder?

I disagree about him being a bad player. Him playing the position they just drafted is a good thing, not a bad thing imo. Why would signing vet role players...I'm assuming you mean like 1.5 as that is what you get for about 40 million...be any better?

You just haven't thought through this stuff.

Part of the reason you sign him is because of the chance that there is going to be some desperate team at the deadline that is willing to give you some version of what the Wizards just got for Beal. It gives you flexibility. Having Bruce Brown and Rui instead doesn't...and I still have no idea why you think that would be so much better.

Kblaze8855
06-30-2023, 09:18 PM
Vet role players?

Do you think the Rockets are trying to win?

If they sign Harden back, I might believe that. As it stands, they’re just filling out cap Space with something that might be useful shortly. When he’s eligible to be traded, there will be teams interested and they have absolutely nothing to lose In the meantime.

he is virtually free. As long as he can be traded for anything at all, it’s a positive. And he’s exactly the type good teams want to move useless salary for and have to attach something to get.

see me about this in February. The one after that at the latest.

Smook A.
06-30-2023, 09:19 PM
**** me

What in the hell were the Rockets thinking offering this much

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 09:20 PM
Vet role players?

Do you think the Rockets are trying to win?

If they sign Harden back, I might believe that. As it stands, they’re just filling out cap Space with something that might be useful shortly. When he’s eligible to be traded, there will be teams interested and they have absolutely nothing to lose In the meantime.

he is virtually free. As long as he can be traded for anything at all, it’s a positive. And he’s exactly the type good teams want to move useless salary for and have to attach something to get.

see me about this in February. The one after that at the latest.

Round 2 of "one of the worst contracts ever"...as we watch it moved for some salary and a first rounder in less than a year again?

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:21 PM
I disagree about him being a bad player. Him playing the position they just drafted is a good thing, not a bad thing imo. Why would signing vet role players...I'm assuming you mean like 1.5 as that is what you get for about 40 million...be any better?

You just haven't thought through this stuff.

Part of the reason you sign him is because of the chance that there is going to be some desperate team at the deadline that is willing to give you some version of what the Wizards just got for Beal. It gives you flexibility. Having Bruce Brown and Rui instead doesn't...and I still have no idea why you think that would be so much better.
What contending team is going to want FVV on a max contract? :hammerhead: Find me one person defending this as a good deal besides you and Kblaze on the internet, because everyone I'm seeing is saying it's godawful

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:22 PM
**** me

What in the hell were the Rockets thinking offering this much
Don't worry it's a great deal according to expert GM DMavs41.

ArbitraryWater
06-30-2023, 09:22 PM
You legit just laughed at the deal a few posts ago, are you seriously too stupid to remember that?

thats your interpretation.

i find the destination for FVV funny

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 09:24 PM
What contending team is going to want FVV on a max contract? :hammerhead: Find me one person defending this as a good deal besides you and Kblaze on the internet, because everyone I'm seeing is saying it's godawful

Everyone said the same shit about Bradley Beal last year.

I guess we'll just have to see this horrible damage the Rockets did to themselves for the next 3 years by signing FVV instead of Bruce Brown and Rui.

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:24 PM
thats your interpretation.

i find the destination for FVV funny
Jesus you're an embarrassing liar.

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:25 PM
Everyone said the same shit about Bradley Beal last year.

I guess we'll just have to see this horrible damage the Rockets did to themselves for the next 3 years by signing FVV instead of Bruce Brown and Rui.
Because Bradley Beal and FVV are totally the same level of players :facepalm

And yes that Beal contract was still bad.

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 09:26 PM
Don't worry it's a great deal according to expert GM DMavs41.

Here we go...already pulling the strawmen out where they have to pretend I'm saying "it's a great deal"...

You'd think they'd learn, but they never will. They had to spend the money on something. If you can't understand why people that actually think are confused as to why Rui/Brown is significantly better than FVV for the Rockets...you are simply ignorant or stupid.

RRR3
06-30-2023, 09:28 PM
Here we go...already pulling the strawmen out where they have to pretend I'm saying "it's a great deal"...

You'd think they'd learn, but they never will. They had to spend the money on something. If you can't understand why people that actually think are confused as to why Rui/Brown is significantly better than FVV for the Rockets...you are simply ignorant or stupid.
Rui/Brown doesn't hurt the youth's development for one. FVV is a shotjacker who is inefficient to boot.

DMAVS41
Because Bradley Beal and FVV are totally the same level of players :facepalm

And yes that Beal contract was still bad.

And yet, and I know this might seem crazy to you, the specifics matter and the team we were told was making a horrible mistake...was able to easily move the contract, only 1 year in, for future assets and didn't get hurt at all.

The risk with FVV...and any contract...is serious injury...there is nothing risky for the Rockets outside of that...you haven't thought about it at all and will now just double down just like everyone, you included, on the Beal situation you were provably wrong about.

DMAVS41
Rui/Brown doesn't hurt the youth's development for one. FVV is a shotjacker who is inefficient to boot.

If I thought it really hurt the youth development...I'd be more understanding of your position...but I don't think it does to be honest...

HylianNightmare
06-30-2023, 09:36 PM
This dudes gets 40 mill a year. What a time for role players

n00bie
06-30-2023, 09:42 PM
As a Raps fan.. I feel sorry for Houston.

bison
06-30-2023, 09:45 PM
DMAVS still trying to justify the Beal contract?:facepalm

bison
06-30-2023, 09:46 PM
As a Raps fan.. I feel sorry for Houston.

Looking forward to Dennis Schroeder as your starting point guard?

n00bie
06-30-2023, 09:50 PM
Looking forward to Dennis Schroeder as your starting point guard?

As long as he doesn't hog the ball like FVV, yes.

Watching FVV was the most frustrating thing ever. Literally watching a midget trying to draw fouls and score over giants. He's probably one of the least athletic PGs I've ever seen.

Good luck.

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 09:56 PM
DMAVS still trying to justify the Beal contract?:facepalm

There is no need for me to justify it. Reality does that all by itself. The Wizards turned Beal into Poole, Shamet, first rounder, 4 pick swaps, 7 2nd rounders, and salary cap relief...they moved Beal for positive value (with a chance of getting real value with luck) within a year.

The only "justifying" going on is with people that were arguing it was a terrible contract that would kill the Wizards...they have moved on to saying the positive return wasn't great enough for the player they said had the worst contract ever.

With FVV...it is more or less the same. They had to pay somebody...they will still have a shit load of cap even with this contract. It allows them to be a taker of salary/pick for FVV at the deadline in the coming years while not hurting their long term flexibility at all.

Is this a "great deal" or "the best signing ever"...no, of course not...and that would relevant if I ever argued that.

However, what this does do...is allow the Rockets to use some cap and get a 29 year old player that has been around a bit and knows what it takes to win as well. He can help the young guys on the Rockets imo while also giving them roster flexibility with a trade.

I just don't think you guys have thought through this much...who is the next star to ask for a trade? Maybe ANT asks out in 2 years and FVV can be part of the salary filler...etc. Just so many options for the Rockets for the next 3 years with this.

DMAVS41
06-30-2023, 10:04 PM
If I'm the Rockets...

I'm now going hard after Brook. You get him...and you not only have a team that could actually develop with the young guys with some on court success (especially defensively)...but you then have two pieces that contending teams will be wanting at the deadline as well.

I bet the Rockets are trying that or something similar right now.

coin24
06-30-2023, 11:05 PM
What a stupid contract, wow…

highwhey
06-30-2023, 11:08 PM
If I'm the Rockets...

I'm now going hard after Brook. You get him...and you not only have a team that could actually develop with the young guys with some on court success (especially defensively)...but you then have two pieces that contending teams will be wanting at the deadline as well.

I bet the Rockets are trying that or something similar right now.

bro u love to argue against non-receptive individuals. i think you put a target on yourself for people that will not change their minds. from the initial response i can tell r3 isn't going to change his mind and neither is bison...the latter seemingly more-so because he is partially trolling 24/7

SaltyMeatballs
06-30-2023, 11:24 PM
Rockets guards about to shoot a mean 39% from the field

highwhey
06-30-2023, 11:37 PM
Rockets guards about to shoot a mean 39% from the field

:oldlol: the definition of mid

Carbine
06-30-2023, 11:44 PM
Contract doesn't mean anything. In two years it's an asset just for expiring money. Kbald and DMav are correct on this one.

bison
07-01-2023, 01:04 AM
Unbelievably, im with RRR3tard here. Rockets locked themselves with an untradable contract. Almost as bad as beals contract.

DMAVS41
07-01-2023, 09:48 AM
bro u love to argue against non-receptive individuals. i think you put a target on yourself for people that will not change their minds. from the initial response i can tell r3 isn't going to change his mind and neither is bison...the latter seemingly more-so because he is partially trolling 24/7

I like to talk/debate with people that disagree with me for the most part. Kind of boring to just agree with people.

DMAVS41
07-01-2023, 09:50 AM
Unbelievably, im with RRR3tard here. Rockets locked themselves with an untradable contract. Almost as bad as beals contract.

This is a great troll...if you are trolling.

If you aren't, God help us if people can be this blind to how stupid they are. FVV's contract is untradable, but not as bad as Beal's...yet Beal's contract was traded for positive value a few days ago.

I don't know where you clowns come from.

Akeem34TheDream
07-01-2023, 11:38 AM
Money is a bit much, sure. It's fine imo. I don't think he will stay next year. However I am more concerned about the minutes and starting line up. FVV will start surely. Green, Ausar, Jabari and Şengün? Brook Lopez would start if he comes to Rockets but I doubt he comes. Rockets have too many talented players with potentials but still negative on the court. Something great might come out or it can be horrible. I trust Ime though.

dankok8
07-01-2023, 12:24 PM
So now huge salaries for average players are good because they become valuable as expiring contracts... I guess. Agree with kblaze and DMAVS that the teams that do this don't really suffer per se because they can offload them. Still I'd rather pay 40 mil a year and actually sign a great player.

But yea... definitely good for Fred. Insane money for a player of his caliber.

highwhey
07-01-2023, 12:29 PM
I like to talk/debate with people that disagree with me for the most part. Kind of boring to just agree with people.

bison is staight trolling you

meat
07-01-2023, 12:34 PM
Rockets will suck for a long time and they had to spend money. Nobody cares about the Rockets.

DMAVS41
07-01-2023, 01:17 PM
So now huge salaries for average players are good because they become valuable as expiring contracts... I guess. Agree with kblaze and DMAVS that the teams that do this don't really suffer per se because they can offload them. Still I'd rather pay 40 mil a year and actually sign a great player.

But yea... definitely good for Fred. Insane money for a player of his caliber.

I think everyone would rather pay 40 million a year for a great player, but no truly great player in their prime is going to a team like the Rockets in free agency for only 40 million a year.

My argument, in all cases, is that there is nuance and the specifics matter for each transaction. If you look at the Rockets...they had so much money to spend this season and really going forward. They aren't close to good enough to land the type of player you are talking about...so the only moves are to overpay guys that can help build the team over the next couple years and or be moved in a big trade to land the type of guy you are talking about.

The reason, imo, this can't really hurt the Rockets...is because there is almost no chance the Rockets are ready to win and contend in the next 2 years...and if for some reason they are...it isn't like FVV can't be part of a winning team. He can...he's already proved that.

And, just like Beal, if the Rockets decide to move him...they'll be able to get positive value if they take back some salary.

So when people say..."one of the worst signings ever"...I just really think they haven't thought this through at all.

dankok8
07-05-2023, 08:50 AM
I think everyone would rather pay 40 million a year for a great player, but no truly great player in their prime is going to a team like the Rockets in free agency for only 40 million a year.

My argument, in all cases, is that there is nuance and the specifics matter for each transaction. If you look at the Rockets...they had so much money to spend this season and really going forward. They aren't close to good enough to land the type of player you are talking about...so the only moves are to overpay guys that can help build the team over the next couple years and or be moved in a big trade to land the type of guy you are talking about.

The reason, imo, this can't really hurt the Rockets...is because there is almost no chance the Rockets are ready to win and contend in the next 2 years...and if for some reason they are...it isn't like FVV can't be part of a winning team. He can...he's already proved that.

And, just like Beal, if the Rockets decide to move him...they'll be able to get positive value if they take back some salary.

So when people say..."one of the worst signings ever"...I just really think they haven't thought this through at all.

I totally agree. Because of how trades in the NBA work having a large expiring contract is never a bad thing.

But just from a value standpoint, $43.3/season for FVV is a terrible investment. He isn't even a younger player (ex. 2012 Harden) who was on the rise. It also leads to salary inflation across the league and hurts every team.

Wally450
07-05-2023, 10:35 AM
That's a lot of money for a player of FVV's status.

rawimpact
07-05-2023, 10:45 AM
Overpayment... yes they are paying him to mentor and essentially get paid to be out of any playoff contention but there are so many older vets that would take on a similar role for half that cost... players that would otherwise be out of this league.