PDA

View Full Version : Mavericks S&T Grant Williams 4 yrs/53 mill

ArbitraryWater
07-05-2023, 08:01 PM
Celtics get 2nd round picks and Spurs get Bullock

Real Men Wear Green
07-05-2023, 09:06 PM
Some 2md round picks is a decent return of they were going to lose him but I don't think any fan could be happy about the idea of their team losing a solid player and gaining future second rounders.

Carbine
07-05-2023, 09:12 PM
Great deal for Mavs. That's a great contract price.

Great trade for Spurs too

bladefd
07-05-2023, 09:27 PM
Some 2md round picks is a decent return of they were going to lose him but I don't think any fan could be happy about the idea of their team losing a solid player and gaining future second rounders.

Question is why didn't the Celtics pay 53mill/4yrs for a solid player? That's a reasonable contract for Grant Williams. Are Celtics hardcapped and can't pay Williams?

theman93
07-05-2023, 09:29 PM
Good get for the Mavs

Real Men Wear Green
07-05-2023, 09:36 PM
Question is why didn't the Celtics pay 53mill/4yrs for a solid player? That's a reasonable contract for Grant Williams. Are Celtics hardcapped and can't pay Williams?

Maybe they were concerned about future cap flexibility. I can only guess but they put a certain value on everyone and may have felt the deal was too much for a reserve. Could miss him badly vs. Antetokuonmpo.

bladefd
07-05-2023, 09:44 PM
Maybe they were concerned about future cap flexibility. I can only guess but they put a certain value on everyone and may have felt the deal was too much for a reserve. Could miss him badly vs. Antetokuonmpo.

Williams is 24 and a good role-player. If Celtics want to be championship contender, they should have kept him. $13mill/yr is a good deal for him.

Real Men Wear Green
07-05-2023, 10:04 PM
Williams is 24 and a good role-player. If Celtics want to be championship contender, they should have kept him. $13mill/yr is a good deal for him.

I'm not sure what anyone is worth with the way the money is changing. You could be right but I don't mind having faith in Stevens' overall judgment.

BallsOut
07-05-2023, 10:31 PM

Celtics lost their two toughest players. Huge blow against physical teams like Heat and Bucks

90sgoat
07-05-2023, 10:32 PM
Mavs fans seem to be happy with Williams.

I agree he seemeed to bring some toughness but isn't he undersized? I doubt he'll help that much with rebounding.

Real Men Wear Green
07-05-2023, 10:58 PM
Celtics lost their two toughest players. Huge blow against physical teams like Heat and Bucks

The Heat aren't particularly physical. They play hard but Horford Williams and Porzingis are as big or bigger than anyone they have and the league in general is just not physical.

Antetokuonmpo could prove to be overwhelming but when healthy the Celtics should have the personnel to guard him at the end of the game. Celtics are as big as any team.

NBAGOAT
07-05-2023, 11:10 PM
Mavs fans seem to be happy with Williams.

I agree he seemeed to bring some toughness but isn't he undersized? I doubt he'll help that much with rebounding.

he's fine for a 4. Mavs only question mark is center now and they have options there at least

DMAVS41
07-06-2023, 08:29 AM
he's fine for a 4. Mavs only question mark is center now and they have options there at least

The hope would be that the Hawks just want to clean house and save some money at some point this season and the Mavs could get Capela with some salary and maybe a pick...or by taking back a long term deal they don't want like Bog.

If the Mavs could somehow turn THJ/Holmes/Pick into Capela and salary the Hawks don't want, I think they would be as good as anyone on paper.

Clifton
07-06-2023, 08:34 AM
He isn't the right fit in terms of chemistry. They're shipping out all the vocal guys who displace Tatum, Brown, and the coach as leaders, and I think it's a wise decision. I've heard Grant Williams is the most annoying teammate in the league.

Also, their two best (EDIT: no! three best!) players play his position.

I'm not a big "stockpiling assets" guy. If he's good but you can't use him, send somewhere so he can play. Payton Pritchard next, please (unless the Smart trade opens up some minutes for him).

I'm happy for Luka and the Mavs. They've added some great pieces this summer. Don't be surprised if they're in the conference finals again.

Manny98
07-06-2023, 08:34 AM
Great moves getting Williams and Thybully

Dallas having a great off-season :applause:

90sgoat
07-06-2023, 09:09 AM

He's 6'6'' and averages 6.5 rpg pr. 36 minutes.

If Mavs fans think they have solved their rebounding problems with this signing then they're mistaken.

tontoz
07-06-2023, 12:40 PM
Good move for the Mavs, nice 3&D player.

FilmyCogTurner
07-06-2023, 01:13 PM
Mavs making moves, nice.. still wondering why they couldn't have involved themselves in trading for either Aaron Gordon, Collins or Toppin the past while but at this is something.

90sgoat
07-06-2023, 03:17 PM
Mavs making moves, nice.. still wondering why they couldn't have involved themselves in trading for either Aaron Gordon, Collins or Toppin the past while but at this is something.

Gordon would have been a decent fit, but doesn't shoot 3s well enough to really fit in.

Collins, honestly I think he's very overrated, happy that Mavs didn't try to get him.

FilmyCogTurner
07-06-2023, 03:33 PM
Sometimes all that's needed is just to shoot them nevermind the makes and from watching this years playoff run I thought he did fine from deep.

Collins, he can also shoot and catch labs - still think he would have been a nice fit.

NBAGOAT
07-06-2023, 06:41 PM
He's 6'6'' and averages 6.5 rpg pr. 36 minutes.

If Mavs fans think they have solved their rebounding problems with this signing then they're mistaken.

He was one of the main Celtics who guarded Giannis don’t just look at his height he’s also huge with physicality to deal with most 4s and 5s. Luka is one of the better rebounders at his position he’ll make up for that. There was no one better on the market you could realistically get with this price. Dallas had a lack of resources because of the previous gm