PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Arenas on Being "Miserable" Despite Over $100M Net Worth

1987_Lakers
07-06-2023, 09:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5ur8bMaw0U&t

warriorfan
07-07-2023, 10:55 AM
Didn’t watch the video but he has always been obviously mentally ill. I don’t recall 100% but i’m pretty sure he had a traumatic childhood as well.

tpols
07-07-2023, 11:28 AM
Didn’t watch the video but he has always been obviously mentally ill. I don’t recall 100% but i’m pretty sure he had a traumatic childhood as well.

I wouldn't call this mental illness at all. Hes saying after he retired and had all that money he just... didn't know what to do with his time. Like he said he spent his entire life hooping and that was his purpose and that's what fed his brain dopamine and satisfaction and happiness. And now he's stuck in a void of materialism?

No amount of mansions or cars or groupies can fill the hole that is not having a great purpose in life anymore. Many athletes experience this.

ArbitraryWater
07-07-2023, 11:56 AM
I wouldn't call this mental illness at all. Hes saying after he retired and had all that money he just... didn't know what to do with his time. Like he said he spent his entire life hooping and that was his purpose and that's what fed his brain dopamine and satisfaction and happiness. And now he's stuck in a void of materialism?

No amount of mansions or cars or groupies can fill the hole that is not having a great purpose in life anymore. Many athletes experience this.

yea, not a mental illness.

Just not enthralled by this materialistic world.

Same energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tm4uFLF9eI

seriously interesting interview/takes here btw, whole video is a must

highwhey
07-07-2023, 12:10 PM
its not uncommon for accomplished and wealthy types to feel unfulfilled. it's actually like one of the leading causes of depression...people who do not find fulfillment in their lives are bound to experience depression and uncertainty. everyone needs a reason or motivation to wake up and go about their lives.

Dbrog
07-07-2023, 02:49 PM
Gil is definitely classic example of when you have an outcome-focused mindset. Eventually he was able to reach the mountain he worked his whole life for (even said in the video). What do you do at that point? There's been some political stuff recently that has talked about how from the general public mindset, they are mad at the hierarchy because they are "so money hungry" and "eat the rich" and all that. You really think people at that level even care much about money anymore? I guarantee you it's not what drives them. Some start their own projects, some enjoy control, some want to have threesomes with as many hotties as they can and even when they get board with that...maybe they turn to same sex or even minors. It's all crazy shit that basically none of us can relate to because we will never be at a level like that. Unfortunately for Agent 0, he hasn't found anything to fill that blackhole

tpols
07-07-2023, 03:58 PM
yea, not a mental illness.

Just not enthralled by this materialistic world.

Same energy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tm4uFLF9eI

seriously interesting interview/takes here btw, whole video is a must

Just watched that clip.

Norm was casually dropping truth bombs while those two ladies hilariously laughed at him laying it down. I think one was a dude but you can't be too sure these days.

RIP Norm great comedian. His Billy Madison bits were awesome too.