PDA

View Full Version : The quickness of fat old Barkley.

Kblaze8855
07-08-2023, 03:10 PM
https://youtu.be/qYTNgNZYYa0

Xiao Yao You
07-08-2023, 05:18 PM
was there a time when Barkley wasn't fat that we need to specifically point it out?

GOBB
07-08-2023, 05:22 PM
https://youtu.be/qYTNgNZYYa0

Schooled the hell out of Timmy boy damn. Haha

Kblaze8855
07-08-2023, 06:17 PM
was there a time when Barkley wasn't fat that we need to specifically point it out?

Some time after Moses whipped him into shape and before he slowed down towards the end of his Phoenix run I’d say. I wouldn’t call this fat even by nba standards:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2307090344580325.jpeg

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2307090345250350.png

tpols
07-08-2023, 07:03 PM
Barkley didn't need to be old to be mean. He was a ruthless SOB no matter his weight. Probably the most underrated player ever.

ShawkFactory
07-08-2023, 09:11 PM
Barkley has some of the most functional movement I’ve ever seen. He’s kind of like a running back who is too huge to feasibly be good but moves like water anyway.

90sgoat
07-08-2023, 09:26 PM
Barkley didn't need to be old to be mean. He was a ruthless SOB no matter his weight. Probably the most underrated player ever.

I'm pretty sure that Barkley holds some NBA records for 2 point percentage or maybe its finishing at the rim or something like that.

At least during his active years he led the NBA in post scoring percentages.

I think it's interesting to see how similar his game is to MJ, the quick moves from the catch and the back to basket with counters. You can tell they were competitors and probably learned from each other.

Wardell Curry
07-08-2023, 09:41 PM
I'm not sure if he was in the 90s but Barkley is currently underrated. To be fair, most players from previous eras are probably underrated at this point.

GOBB
07-08-2023, 10:06 PM
I’m happy I was able to see Sir Charles Barkley at every level of his career. You can tell who hasn’t.

SATAN
07-08-2023, 10:32 PM
I don't understand the guys saying Barkley is underrated. Everyone knows he was good.

GOBB
07-08-2023, 11:50 PM
I don't understand the guys saying Barkley is underrated. Everyone knows he was good.

He was great not just good. You kinda proved why he’s underrated. You probably still don’t get it

SATAN
07-09-2023, 12:35 AM
He was great not just good. You kinda proved why he’s underrated. You probably still don’t get it

Get what? I know how good he was. Stop with the God complex vibes.

GOBB
07-09-2023, 01:37 AM
Get what? I know how good he was. Stop with the God complex vibes.

You clearly don’t get it.

SATAN
07-09-2023, 03:43 AM
Ok, genius. Sorry for not saying the right magic word.

:facepalm

highwhey
07-09-2023, 04:03 AM
the original fatboi, b4 nikola "tubbs" jokic

GOBB
07-09-2023, 08:55 AM
Ok, genius. Sorry for not saying the right magic word.

:facepalm

Sorry I made you feel some type of way. It too shall pass. But people don’t realize how great of a player Charles was. Just watching Charles at the tail end of his career school a younger Duncan speaks volumes. Look how he scored. Wasn’t through pure athleticism. He knew where and when to attack and use his body.

Folks know of Barkley as a fat guy who could rebound and is on tnt.

Chuckbe
07-09-2023, 09:19 AM
Which pixel is Barkley?

Jasper
07-09-2023, 10:04 AM
when I was on the playground we had a couple guys like Barkley , low wide and took up space .

very deadly on the board area.

Barkley 6'6" Timmy 7' (shows position very well in that vid)

iamgine
07-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Thought it's gonna be this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQA4w1qwfFc

Round Mound
07-09-2023, 02:18 PM
:applause: :bowdown: :cheers: :rockon:

Round Mound
07-09-2023, 02:30 PM
THE GOAT "PLAYER" PERIOD! :oldlol:

Phoenix
07-09-2023, 02:56 PM

Is he really? He and Mailman are like the only two players considered top 20 without a ring. That speaks volumes considering how much ring count has dominated GOAT discussions.

1987_Lakers
07-09-2023, 03:12 PM
Sorry I made you feel some type of way. It too shall pass. But people don’t realize how great of a player Charles was. Just watching Charles at the tail end of his career school a younger Duncan speaks volumes. Look how he scored. Wasn’t through pure athleticism. He knew where and when to attack and use his body.

Folks know of Barkley as a fat guy who could rebound and is on tnt.

wtf are you talking about? Barkley is often seen as a top 20-25 player ever and is always discussed as one of the GOAT players to never win a ring. He's far from underrated.

I remember him ranking pretty high when ISH did a top 50 players ever project like two years ago.

Kblaze8855
07-09-2023, 04:07 PM
A surprising number of people online would flat out tell you he wasn’t great. I’ve seen a lot of it. Not from people who remember him but that’s a shrinking number of the fanbase.

tpols
07-09-2023, 04:24 PM
Is he really? He and Mailman are like the only two players considered top 20 without a ring. That speaks volumes considering how much ring count has dominated GOAT discussions.

He's probably the best ringless player ever.

Everybody shits on him for being fat yet he played every game. Never sat out. Yet nowadays we have Adonis looking kawhi types who sit out at the drop of a hat.

Guy was tough. Put a jersey on him now and he'd probably play.

GOBB
07-09-2023, 06:05 PM
A surprising number of people online would flat out tell you he wasn’t great. I’ve seen a lot of it. Not from people who remember him but that’s a shrinking number of the fanbase.

Exactly. I don’t know why folks argue this. Lol

Kblaze8855
07-09-2023, 06:46 PM
https://youtu.be/FkvVDsQfVJY

Even older. He only played 3 real games after that.

Mostly beating people with the jumper but he absolutely blew by a couple times. He always talked about how much he sucked by that point but a healthy version of a 1999 or 2000 Barkley would still be an all star some years.

tpols
07-09-2023, 07:00 PM
It's wierd how people dared him to shoot when his shooting touch was elite. I guess they were that afraid of getting bodied.

90sgoat
07-09-2023, 07:04 PM
https://youtu.be/FkvVDsQfVJY

Even older. He only played 3 real games after that.

Mostly beating people with the jumper but he absolutely blew by a couple times. He always talked about how much he sucked by that point but a healthy version of a 1999 or 2000 Barkley would still be an all star some years.

12rpg in that first clip.

10rpg in his last season at 36 year old at 6'6'' and fat.

Best rebounder ever.

90sgoat
07-09-2023, 07:06 PM
Barkley is often seen as a top 20-25 player ever.

That's the underrating we're talking about.

Barkley is solidly top 20 and should be top 15 if you have someone like KG or Dirk near there.

A ring or two and Barkley is a top 10 player.

highwhey
07-09-2023, 07:17 PM
That's the underrating we're talking about.

Barkley is solidly top 20 and should be top 15 if you have someone like KG or Dirk near there.

A ring or two and Barkley is a top 10 player.

hes the victim of the silly "nO RinGZ" argument.

Kblaze8855
07-09-2023, 07:53 PM
It's wierd how people dared him to shoot when his shooting touch was elite. I guess they were that afraid of getting bodied.

He started bailing people out shooting threes eventually but he was always good a step inside.

AussieSteve
07-09-2023, 09:49 PM
A lot of ppl don't realise that Barkley was on track to be a top 10 player all time until he hurt his back in 94.

He was an MVP (and really a 2x MVP given what happened in 1990) and was pretty unanimously regarded as the best player in the NBA going into that season, with Jordan retired.

He had come very close to beating the 3peat Bulls, and had lost to Jordan 3x in the playoffs.

The Suns were 23-6 when he went down in 94, with him putting up the same numbers as his MVP season the year before.

And he likely wins rings and FMVPs in both 94 and 95 if he didn't get hurt. The Suns pushed the Rockets to 7 games both seasons, despite Barkley being far from healthy both times.

Da_Realist
07-09-2023, 11:50 PM
How is that fat plumber getting around Tim Duncan? Charles was great at using his body to create enough space to get a shot off against guys much taller than he was.

Clifton
07-10-2023, 12:40 PM
I wasn't there for Barkley, and nobody has to care about what I think, but I've watched over a dozen games, and I don't see it. Not 'greatness.' Not 'almost Jordan.' Top-5 player of the '90s, sure.

If he played today, he would be in that elite tier, but surely you're not taking him over Giannis and Jokic? Would you want him over Luka or Steph? Would the title Raptors have been better with him instead of Kawhi? Would the Thunder or Warriors have been better with him over KD? On my reckoning, he'd be on the back half of the top-10 players of the last decade. (I haven't even mentioned Lebron.)

Barkley was elite at getting the ball and scoring the ball. But to be 'great' to me something else is needed, some kind of control of the game on at least one end, preferably both ends. Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russell, Lebron, Duncan, Shaq: these guys didn't just kill you, they controlled the game. I see it every time I watch old film of them. When I see Barkley I see more in common with Westbrook or Carmelo than the top, top-tier elites.

But look, I wasn't there, and I'm willing to be convinced. More film please; I'll watch it.

Kblaze8855
07-10-2023, 01:02 PM
While he was elite at getting and scoring the ball…it wasn’t his best aspect. He’s one of the 3 best rebounders I’ve ever seen and one of the few good enough to alter games with it at times. His scoring was great but he played team ball more than his “Dribble dribble dribble” reputation. At least in that he didn’t demand the ball all the time. People could play around him. But he was such a mismatch he could score or get fouled most of the time. He’d let others play but I’d imagine today they would use him more to draw doubles and kick out which he was good at. Offensively he’d look like a short better passing Giannis with waaaaay more polish.

Airupthere
07-10-2023, 02:24 PM
Great body control in basketball that applied zero in golf

Kblaze8855
07-10-2023, 02:55 PM
Great body control in basketball that applied zero in golf

It happens

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DisastrousCarelessKudu-size_restricted.gif

Phoenix
07-11-2023, 07:08 AM
I wasn't there for Barkley, and nobody has to care about what I think, but I've watched over a dozen games, and I don't see it. Not 'greatness.' Not 'almost Jordan.' Top-5 player of the '90s, sure.

If he played today, he would be in that elite tier, but surely you're not taking him over Giannis and Jokic? Would you want him over Luka or Steph? Would the title Raptors have been better with him instead of Kawhi? Would the Thunder or Warriors have been better with him over KD? On my reckoning, he'd be on the back half of the top-10 players of the last decade. (I haven't even mentioned Lebron.)

Barkley was elite at getting the ball and scoring the ball. But to be 'great' to me something else is needed, some kind of control of the game on at least one end, preferably both ends. Jordan, Bird, Magic, Russell, Lebron, Duncan, Shaq: these guys didn't just kill you, they controlled the game. I see it every time I watch old film of them. When I see Barkley I see more in common with Westbrook or Carmelo than the top, top-tier elites.

But look, I wasn't there, and I'm willing to be convinced. More film please; I'll watch it.

I saw Philly-Bulls games in the early 90s where Barkley, not MJ, looked like the the dominant player on the floor, and that was with the latter doing his thing. And even in the times where MJ had the edge and the Bulls won, you didn't leave the game thinking MJ was 5 tiers above or something. Most of the guys at this level, when you're actually watching the matchup at the time, the observable differences aren't nearly as wide as the arbitrary 'GOAT' rankings we assign them.

Nowadays, when you look at how someone like Luka is among the league leaders in post points without anything remotely close to Barkleys physicality/explosiveness, and it's pretty easy to imagine surrounding him with shooters and letting him go to work. I can't imagine the rebounding numbers he'd be putting up now when he was dropping 13 or whatever in the 90s with bigs not stretched outside the paint like todays era.

90sgoat
07-11-2023, 09:28 AM
How is that fat plumber getting around Tim Duncan?

Mostly by really high level triple threat moves.

Excessive dribbling, emboldened by lax carry rules, has made it so players today focus much less on the triple threat.

90sgoat
07-11-2023, 09:29 AM
I saw Philly-Bulls games in the early 90s where Barkley, not MJ, looked like the the dominant player on the floor, and that was with the latter doing his thing. And even in the times where MJ had the edge and the Bulls won, you didn't leave the game thinking MJ was 5 tiers above or something. Most of the guys at this level, when you're actually watching the matchup at the time, the observable differences aren't nearly as wide as the arbitrary 'GOAT' rankings we assign them.

Nowadays, when you look at how someone like Luka is among the league leaders in post points without anything remotely close to Barkleys physicality/explosiveness, and it's pretty easy to imagine surrounding him with shooters and letting him go to work. I can't imagine the rebounding numbers he'd be putting up now when he was dropping 13 or whatever in the 90s with bigs not stretched outside the paint like todays era.

I'm taking Barkley over anyone in the league today not named Jokic.

AussieSteve
07-11-2023, 05:31 PM

This is not one of Barkley's all time great games statistically, although 34 and 20 is obviously an great game, but this playoff game vs the Bulls shows a little of how great he was.

It also shows how great he had to be to give the 76ers a chance of beating the Bulls. In game 1 against them the following year he had 34 points (on 13 fga!) with a couple mins to go in the 3rd, and they were still down by >20.

https://youtu.be/RKkm7Lq9igk

Baller234
07-11-2023, 07:34 PM

The truth lies somewhere in the middle of this post.

On one hand, I agree that Barkley wasn't some transcendent player. One of the best of his era sure, but never THEE best. Back in the day I do remember some fans getting cute and insisting he was better than Jordan, but that's no different than fans swearing that Durant was better than Lebron a few years back. It was fun to say out loud and garner a reaction but no one seriously believed it.

On the other hand, Barkley is definitely a cut above guys like Westbrook and Carmelo. Like it's not even close. Chuck wasn't just a go-to guy, he was a real leader on the floor. He could take a over a game.