PDA

View Full Version : In season tournament explained in under 90 seconds.

Im so nba'd out
07-09-2023, 01:34 PM
https://youtu.be/fT1Vk286308

Winners also all gets 500k.so the role players will be going hard and the bench players who don’t play will be going nuts on the bench

Runner up 200k each

3rd and 4th 100k each

5-8 50k each

BurningHammer
07-09-2023, 01:45 PM
The winner should also get some kind of advantages in the future, like home court advantages if the team is in playoffs or play-in.

Real Men Wear Green
07-09-2023, 02:53 PM
If this doesn't have any playoff ramifications teams with more injury prone stats will treat it like a second preseason after the regular season game part of it. With what's being described I don't want the Celtics to play any of their starters, Rob Williams and Al Horford (one of them won't start). I bet Kawhi Leonard doesn't even play the reels season part.

But thinking a little more Silver has to have gotten the owners to commit to treating the tournament like its important...I just question how much stars will care about a half million when they are getting 40 or 50 mil on the season.

warriorfan
07-09-2023, 03:01 PM
The winner should also get some kind of advantages in the future, like home court advantages if the team is in playoffs or play-in.

no.

iamgine
07-09-2023, 09:45 PM
If this doesn't have any playoff ramifications teams with more injury prone stats will treat it like a second preseason after the regular season game part of it. With what's being described I don't want the Celtics to play any of their starters, Rob Williams and Al Horford (one of them won't start). I bet Kawhi Leonard doesn't even play the reels season part.

But thinking a little more Silver has to have gotten the owners to commit to treating the tournament like its important...I just question how much stars will care about a half million when they are getting 40 or 50 mil on the season.
NBA teams is a camaraderie. This is a really nice chunk of cash for the role players. If they feel like their stars or coaches are giving half ass effort or not play, that might affect team chemistry.

Wally450
07-10-2023, 10:32 AM

That sounds like what they tried with the MLB All Star game, giving the winning league home field advantage in the World Series. They scrapped it a couple years after.

Real Men Wear Green
07-10-2023, 10:57 AM
NBA teams is a camaraderie. This is a really nice chunk of cash for the role players. If they feel like their stars or coaches are giving half ass effort or not play, that might affect team chemistry.

They're still making good money and an NBA roleplayer doesn't have enough job security to be holding a grudge. If kawhi Leonard sits a tournament game and you're Robert Covington what are you really going to do about it other than continue to play?

ArbitraryWater
07-10-2023, 10:59 AM

**** off

iamgine
07-10-2023, 11:57 AM
They're still making good money and an NBA roleplayer doesn't have enough job security to be holding a grudge. If kawhi Leonard sits a tournament game and you're Robert Covington what are you really going to do about it other than continue to play?

I wouldn't say holding a grudge. More of a feel.

Dbrog
07-10-2023, 12:02 PM
I do like the idea of it. However, it also just further demeans the rest of the NBA season games. It basically just gives me a reason to watch the NBA in November.

highwhey
07-10-2023, 12:09 PM
stoopid

jayfan
07-10-2023, 12:12 PM
Horrible

HylianNightmare
07-10-2023, 04:56 PM
Dumb

SouBeachTalents
07-10-2023, 05:07 PM
I’m genuinely curious what the league is going to do to acknowledge this outside of the payment. Does the champion get t shirts and hats proclaiming them mid season tourney champs, does a banner get raised at their stadium? I feel like all this is going to do is get the winner of this clowned when they don’t win the Finals. I could totally see Embiid dropping 50 in the championship game to win the tourney, then having his usual disappearing act in the playoffs and having his tourney win mocked indefinitely.

ArbitraryWater
07-10-2023, 05:27 PM
I’m genuinely curious what the league is going to do to acknowledge this outside of the payment. Does the champion get t shirts and hats proclaiming them mid season tourney champs, does a banner get raised at their stadium? I feel like all this is going to do is get the winner of this clowned when they don’t win the Finals. I could totally see Embiid dropping 50 in the championship game to win the tourney, then having his usual disappearing act in the playoffs and having his tourney win mocked indefinitely.

i dont think its even gonna be relevant enough for that

Dbrog
07-10-2023, 07:05 PM
What about if winning allowed you to win any tie-breaker you get going into the playoffs?

Real Men Wear Green
07-10-2023, 07:25 PM
What about if winning allowed you to win any tie-breaker you get going into the playoffs?
Not a bad idea but we see the top teams choose resting players over the top seed all the time.

Baller789
07-10-2023, 08:10 PM

I think this was the idea. The cup is mostly for the bench players to get PT and exposure whilst giving them to opportunity to earn extra cash.

BurningHammer
07-11-2023, 09:01 PM
That sounds like what they tried with the MLB All Star game, giving the winning league home field advantage in the World Series. They scrapped it a couple years after.

They scrapped it because MLB All Star game supposes to be less serious and teams don't want their players to do Charlie Hustle and injure someone or themselves on that game.

NBA Cup tournament supposes to be more serious. So much so that first round matches are parts of the regular season. If Silver and NBA want it to be competitive they should put more rewards for winning teams other than the money so teams and players will want to compete.

Jasper
07-12-2023, 09:45 AM
If players are going harder than normal, late season injuries could appear higher , and impact the playoffs.

sorry not in favor of this... these guys are playing at a high enough level before the playoffs , and if anything should be cutting the season to a 75 games ,, and have first round
a 5 game series