PDA

View Full Version : Did Lamar Odom have the smoothest handle ever for a 7 footer?

tpols
07-10-2023, 11:12 AM
Look at the stuff this guy did @:33.

https://youtu.be/tK-8bf5B0j0

Tall guys are usually kind of awkward in their dribbling but Odom made it look effortless. His jumper form was smooth too and he was always a leader in DRPM.

Criminally underrated talent imo.

Kblaze8855
07-10-2023, 11:15 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/GleamingSpanishAdouri-size_restricted.gif

tpols
07-10-2023, 11:19 AM
The stretch from @:52-1:00 is Magic Johnson or Larry Bird level.

Wardell Curry
07-10-2023, 11:19 AM
Durant was more fluid but Odom is up there.

tpols
07-10-2023, 11:24 AM

Durant is clunkier to me. Odom had a heavier more balanced frame. I brought up his handles but watching the highlights his passing is even more impressive. Some of the passes he makes are straight out of magics book.

Kblaze8855
07-10-2023, 11:24 AM

I would say the exact opposite. I was actually watching some clips of the Rams handle yesterday, but didn’t get around to making a topic. He has a crazy handle for his size, but I would say Odom could dribble more within the rules. Maybe it’s just because he got lower but Durant is more prone to carry. Lamar would probably do the same thing now that they basically eliminated that violation but for whatever reason he was more prone to just get low and get where he was going almost like a giant guard instead of the overly exaggerated wide crossovers and carry based change of directions we see with a lot of tall ball handler’s now.

Odom, Tmac, and Grant hill could all keep it a little more legal even if they all flirted with the violations. Grant especially would just straight spin the ball on his palm on a hesi now and then.

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2023, 11:26 AM
Odom is growing in retirement?

Kblaze8855
07-10-2023, 11:28 AM
Odom is growing in retirement?

once you hit a certain size, nobody is really sure, and they just call you a seven footer. Durant won’t let them list him at 7 feet but I’m pretty sure he’s the same size as Hakeem who was. Not that Hakeem is legit 7 either. Was Dirk 7 feet or did we just hear “And that’s a seven footer!” 200 times because he was basically 7?

Im Still Ballin
07-10-2023, 11:29 AM
He's 6'10" barefoot I believe. Same height as Duncan and McHale.

tpols
07-10-2023, 11:36 AM

1 inch or so... is whatever. McHale and Duncan couldn't handle like him or pass like him at all. They're better players for other reasons but Odom had a globetrotter level skill game.

Im Still Ballin
07-10-2023, 11:37 AM
Actually I think that 6'10" measurement might be in shoes. I thought it was an official pre-draft measurement but apparently not. 6'9" without shoes might be more accurate.

Duderonomy
07-10-2023, 11:45 AM
Idk about underrated he was the main piece Shaq was traded for. In his prime he was a top 35 player. Just outside of allstar level.

Wardell Curry
07-10-2023, 11:47 AM
Funnily enough the true answer to this thread might be Victor Wenbamyama.

Odom, Durant, Olajuwon probably are/were none a true 7 footer.

Victor aside, who is the answer?

Robinson? O'Neal?

Akeem34TheDream
07-10-2023, 11:48 AM
Odom was a pretty good summary of those Lakers teams. Not good at shooting but did everything else well. Passing, defense rebounding etc.

Xiao Yao You
07-10-2023, 11:51 AM

none of them were listed as 7 footers. Your point?

tpols
07-10-2023, 11:54 AM
Funnily enough the true answer to this thread might be Victor Wenbamyama.

Odom, Durant, Olajuwon probably are/were none a true 7 footer.

Victor aside, who is the answer?

Robinson? O'Neal?

Well... if we harp on a 1 inch difference or whatever. Wemby isn't really close imo. He's too skinny and unbalanced. Odom was tall but perfectly proportioned.

Another shout out would be Kevin Garnett.

Wardell Curry
07-10-2023, 12:00 PM
Well... if we harp on a 1 inch difference or whatever. Wemby isn't really close imo. He's too skinny and unbalanced. Odom was tall but perfectly proportioned.

Another shout out would be Kevin Garnett.

If KG was actually 7 footer that's a good call out.

Overdrive
07-10-2023, 04:01 PM
once you hit a certain size, nobody is really sure, and they just call you a seven footer. Durant won’t let them list him at 7 feet but I’m pretty sure he’s the same size as Hakeem who was. Not that Hakeem is legit 7 either. Was Dirk 7 feet or did we just hear “And that’s a seven footer!” 200 times because he was basically 7?

Dirk was listed as 2,10m for the german national team. I think that's just shy of 7 feet. Like 6'11" and something.

Druckenmiller
07-11-2023, 09:35 PM
IMO Lamar Odom is the biggest underachiever in the NBA in the last 30 years.

Not that he wasn’t good, he was. But he could have been an all-time great IMO.

Had an unreal basketball build and frame, broad shoulders, long arms. Could handle, pass, defend and was an elite rebounder.

It’s amazing he was as good as he was considering his off the court stuff, but if he had the motivation to be great like some other guys do/did and was focused on that, he could have been as good as anyone.

warriorfan
07-11-2023, 09:54 PM
I was making dinner after work while watching game 7 vs boston and was far from the tv and saw a sick blow by layup from the top of the key and I thought it was kobe then I realized it was odom.

He was legit

ShawkFactory
07-11-2023, 10:29 PM
He gets underrated for sure. People only talk about Kobe and then talk about Pau in either a great or bad way as an extension of Kobe.

Odom's game was real. He was definitely someone who needed the structure and disciplined culture that Phil and Kobe brought though.