PDA

View Full Version : We used to call them attempted assists when discussing Kobe.

Kblaze8855
07-14-2023, 01:49 AM
And by “We” I mean Kobe fans pushing a narrative that he’d have more assists if his teammates didn’t drop balls and miss shots. Fundamentally true of everyone. Janet Nelson here in college no doubt felt the same:

https://s.imgfi.com/images/IMG_5568.gif

I’m sure it’s rough being the only competent guy on a team of relative scrubs when people judge you by your teammates finishing.

Now they track such things but I think it only counts attempted shots not dropped passes. Still…it’s something:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2307141118130327.jpeg

Kblaze8855
07-14-2023, 01:51 AM
I’m sure another way to look at it is people who only pass when someone is open for a shot and not just to move the ball and which way you choose to view it would depend on how you wanted the player perceived.

highwhey
07-14-2023, 02:02 AM
"BoOKeR cANt PlaY pOinT GuaRD" - ISH mouthbreathers

Clifton
07-14-2023, 10:06 AM
I've become a 'ball don't lie' truther. If people keep dropping your passes, or guys keep blowing the open looks you're giving them, after awhile it's not a coincidence anymore. There's something about your passing, either the pass itself or when you do it (and don't do it) that gets in the way of converting.

I've seen Aaron Rodgers get first and goal from the 1 and throw 4-straight perfectly placed bullets, and the receiver dropped every one. Turnover. It's not a coincidence. He's getting chancey, fitting into a tight space because he can, but there's something about the ball and its placement that's harder to catch. But because the ball looks like it was perfectly placed, it looks like the receiver's fault.

If you're a joy to play with, people catch the balls, hit the 3s, and finish the plays more than if you're not.

Now, I don't know if it's true that Kobe had more of these botched plays than your average superstar, but if he did, it might be because it was more about him throwing a nice pass than other guys getting the ball.

Real Men Wear Green
07-14-2023, 10:28 AM
We don't need to track everything. Great paserps get assists no matter where they go, if you pass an NBA player the the ball in a spot he can score from he will get assists at a high enough rate that we don't need another stat that can be thrown off by something as basic as the ball coming to a guy's waist instead of his chest.

tpols
07-14-2023, 10:35 AM
I've become a 'ball don't lie' truther. If people keep dropping your passes, or guys keep blowing the open looks you're giving them, after awhile it's not a coincidence anymore. There's something about your passing, either the pass itself or when you do it (and don't do it) that gets in the way of converting.

I've seen Aaron Rodgers get first and goal from the 1 and throw 4-straight perfectly placed bullets, and the receiver dropped every one. Turnover. It's not a coincidence. He's getting chancey, fitting into a tight space because he can, but there's something about the ball and its placement that's harder to catch. But because the ball looks like it was perfectly placed, it looks like the receiver's fault.

If you're a joy to play with, people catch the balls, hit the 3s, and finish the plays more than if you're not.

Now, I don't know if it's true that Kobe had more of these botched plays than your average superstar, but if he did, it might be because it was more about him throwing a nice pass than other guys getting the ball.

I don't think Kobe did, but you raise a good point. Putting the ball in your assist targets bread basket is important. It's like a QB putting the ball where only you can catch it instead of McNabbing it and throwing the ball at your feet.

But a lot of this I think if you look at the list, teammates are so used to a guy like Trae or Booker or Morant playstyle that they are so used to them putting up the shot and when they get passed the ball at the last second it's a surprise. So they weren't expecting it.

ArbitraryWater
07-14-2023, 10:40 AM
the Kobe assist was when his bricks were cleaned up

tpols
07-14-2023, 10:40 AM
And that does apply to Kobe too. He took a ton of tough shots in double or triple coverage. So when he passed at the last second it was a surprise to his teammate. Kobe never looked for others to bail him out.

ArbitraryWater
07-14-2023, 10:43 AM
https://streamable.com/6adwk

https://lasportsnet.blob.core.windows.net/lsn-images/img-bb374a77-0ae8-463f-af71-440b320d7657.jpeg

ShawkFactory
07-14-2023, 11:36 AM
And that does apply to Kobe too. He took a ton of tough shots in double or triple coverage. So when he passed at the last second it was a surprise to his teammate. Kobe never looked for others to bail him out.

So you believe that a basketball player is looking to be "bailed out" if they pass out of a double or triple team?

It's posts like this why people understand that some of the staunch Kobe fans are the lowest IQ fans there are.

tpols
07-14-2023, 11:43 AM
So you believe that a basketball player is looking to be "bailed out" if they pass out of a double or triple team?

It's posts like this why people understand that some of the staunch Kobe fans are the lowest IQ fans there are.

At the last second yes. In the normal flow of things, no. Kobe led higher ranked assist teams than Lebron ever did so his teams obviously had better ball movement and ran a legit system ~ the Triangle. Not just AAU ball give it to the biggest fastest guy and try and let him do everything.

SouBeachTalents
07-14-2023, 11:45 AM
He might not have looked for it, but he got bailed out numerous times. He bricked a last second playoff shot 3 times only for his teammate to convert it into a GW shot, absolutely unprecedented :lol

tpols
07-14-2023, 11:52 AM
He might not have looked for it, but he got bailed out numerous times. He bricked a last second playoff shot 3 times only for his teammate to convert it into a GW shot, absolutely unprecedented :lol

Well yea at least he had the balls to take the shot.

We're talking about playing hot potato here.

SouBeachTalents
07-14-2023, 12:11 PM
Well yea at least he had the balls to take the shot.

We're talking about playing hot potato here.
Having "balls" doesn't excuse taking low IQ shots. Jacking up low percentage looks and doing exactly what the defense expects you to do isn't any more effective for winning at the end of games than being overly passive is. Jordan played it right, was assertive at end of game scenarios but knew when to give it up for the betterment of the team.

ShawkFactory
07-14-2023, 12:15 PM
Having "balls" doesn't excuse taking low IQ shots. Jacking up low percentage looks and doing exactly what the defense expects you to do isn't any more effective for winning at the end of games than being overly passive. Jordan played it right, was assertive at end of game scenarios but knew when to give it up for the betterment of the team.

Yea that's my thought as well. There's a reason Kobe has a bad shooting percentage on game winning shots...he took a LOT of really really terrible ones. That's not any better than passing to a teammate in that situation.

tpols
07-14-2023, 12:21 PM
Having "balls" doesn't excuse taking low IQ shots. Jacking up low percentage looks and doing exactly what the defense expects you to do isn't any more effective for winning at the end of games than being overly passive is. Jordan played it right, was assertive at end of game scenarios but knew when to give it up for the betterment of the team.

I agree with that. Kobe was overly greedy when it came to glory hunting. He still made the right passes when it counted to produce title winning outcomes like his pass to Shaq in 2000 and his pass to Artest in 2010. And his teams had good ball movement in the flow. They ran a legit system. He just broke it sometimes.

Full Court
07-14-2023, 05:38 PM
Lebron has more assist attempts, i.e. turnovers, than any other player in history.