PDA

View Full Version : Suns sign Bol Bol, trade Cam Payne to Spurs

highwhey
07-16-2023, 12:15 PM
https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1680604455882899459?s=46&t=NjC3JUtEsAi18_YvXqxW6Q

In total from the Suns:

- Bol Bol signed on a one-year fully guaranteed deal
- Acquired three second-rounders from Orlando for a pick swap
- Traded Payne, a second and cash to Spurs for a future second

trading Payne away also opened up a new trade exception for the Suns, so they may not be done just yet.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/F1K0WC5WcAE3yn0?format=jpg&name=small

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2023, 12:22 PM
I wonder if anyone has tracked Bol's defensive impact on Jokic? I'm not saying he will shut him down but is it possible that his length effects Jokic's approach?

warriorfan
07-16-2023, 12:33 PM
I wonder if anyone has tracked Bol's defensive impact on Jokic? I'm not saying he will shut him down but is it possible that his length effects Jokic's approach?

no

PP34Deuce
07-16-2023, 12:39 PM
Phoenix is aiming for a true 5 position scoring the 3 situation. Payne was pesky... they are banking on outscoring people

highwhey
07-16-2023, 12:46 PM

idk but Jokic said back in 2021 that the center that best defended him was Ayton. Just hoping Vogel can revive Ayton. anyways, the best strategy is to slow down murray and company, jokic prefers to pass and that';s his best chance at winning. you can let jokic drop 50 and there's still a shot your team wins the game. just gotta make jokic work for each point so he is not encouraged to drop 50 lol. suns are poised to beat them though, they have the offensive power to do so, that's the only real way to beat the nuggets since slowing down murray is kind of impossible.

highwhey
07-16-2023, 12:54 PM
Phoenix is aiming for a true 5 position scoring the 3 situation. Payne was pesky... they are banking on outscoring people

very streaky though. i feel like he was running on his reputation from the 21 finals run. hasn't really had a notable playoff performance since. but yeah, gotta remember JJ was a 3pt shooter himself and he loves his 3pt shooters...(Cam Johnson, Mikal, Shamet..etc) he's big on 3pt shooters, he's finally fulfilling his dream of having a3pt shooter at every position lol.

theman93
07-16-2023, 12:59 PM

Nah Jokic will absolutely abuse him. Bol is a horrible defender

Manny98
07-16-2023, 01:00 PM
Snake has completely ruined this Suns team

Wouldn't be surprised if they miss the playoffs entirely next year

Manny98
07-16-2023, 01:00 PM

:facepalm

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2023, 01:03 PM

I'm not really arguing otherwise. I am just wondering how Jokic would deal with someone he can't shoot over. Sometimes an odd match up can pay off.

tpols
07-16-2023, 01:26 PM
no

Yolk will fake him out his shoes.

1987_Lakers
07-16-2023, 01:28 PM

:oldlol:

Im so nba'd out
07-16-2023, 01:35 PM
Beal @ the point
What could possibly go wrong?

https://i.postimg.cc/mDJT6JqG/IMG-7519.gif

highwhey
07-16-2023, 01:42 PM
Beal @ the point
What could possibly go wrong?

https://i.postimg.cc/mDJT6JqG/IMG-7519.gif

https://media2.giphy.com/media/v1.Y2lkPTc5MGI3NjExM3BwMmtmbWl3bzZ5djluZXFkMmhhaG9 1ZGdneWl5YzZ5dzFhcTcyeCZlcD12MV9naWZzX3NlYXJjaCZjd D1n/mO2jnXmj09bLp5cYwM/giphy.gif

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2023, 01:48 PM

Last postseason Jokic averaged almost 30 points 14 boards and 10 assists. He is the player Phoenix will have to go through for a championship. Bol only plays one position, center and Jokic only plays one position, center. I realize that as a troll you have a psychological compulsion to act like an idiot but there is legit reason to wonder if Bol can affect Jokic.

1987_Lakers
07-16-2023, 01:55 PM
Last postseason Jokic averaged almost 30 points 14 boards and 10 assists. He is the player Phoenix will have to go through for a championship. Bol only plays one position, center and Jokic only plays one position, center. I realize that as a troll you have a psychological compulsion to act like an idiot but there is legit reason to wonder if Bol can affect Jokic.

Did I strike a nerve because I pointed out something moronic you said?

I think RMWG is on his period again.

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2023, 02:20 PM

Keep trolling. You don't make points you just troll and stan. How do you talk about someone being on their periods when you just want ride Lebton James 24/7?

So if anyone that isn't a jackass wants to discuss it, is there any chance that Bol can help pivoted deal with Jokic?

BallsOut
07-16-2023, 02:30 PM

A poster just straight up disrespected a mod and isn’t banned for it

:lebronamazed:

1987_Lakers
07-16-2023, 02:57 PM
So if anyone that isn't a jackass wants to discuss it, is there any chance that Bol can help pivoted deal with Jokic?

You already got your answer.

no

:facepalm

Yolk will fake him out his shoes.

Please take your horrendous questions somewhere else, or better yet, report me to the FBI for hurting your feelings like you did to Patrick.

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2023, 03:06 PM
You already got your answer.

Please take your horrendous questions somewhere else, or better yet, report me to the FBI for hurting your feelings.

Jokic already abuses everyone. Tell me who successfully dealt with him this season? So I am asking if anyone has any idea how he did on him defensively. Not how they think he will do, but how he actually did, if it's been tried before. So far we have a number of people that just say Bol is a bad defender. Well ok but what makes him a bad defender is his general lack of mobility. Vs Jokic the defender doesn't need to be so mobile but being hard to shoot over might be an asset.

No I am not sorry that you aren't interested in my question. You are a trolling dumbass and you are not required to reply. Feel free to **** off.

tpols
07-16-2023, 03:14 PM
Jokic already abuses everyone. Tell me who successfully dealt with him this season? So I am asking if anyone has any idea how he did on him defensively. Not how they think he will do, but how he actually did, if it's been tried before. So far we have a number of people that just say Bol is a bad defender. Well ok but what makes him a bad defender is his general lack of mobility. Vs Jokic the defender doesn't need to be so mobile but being hard to shoot over might be an asset. 6

No I am not sorry that you aren't interested in my question. You are a trolling dumbass and you are not required to reply. Feel free to **** off.

The best defense I've ever seen on jokic was old, steroid Dwight. With AD lurking in the background to alter. If the suns beat the Nuggets which I think they will, it's because Murray will cool down and pheonix fire power will pop off. Their last matchup was close and they added Beal a 25 ppg scorer. Still have Ayton too, this is a bona-fide dynasty talent level team. Just have to figure out how to play with each other

ShawkFactory
07-16-2023, 03:21 PM
The best defense I've ever seen on jokic was old, steroid Dwight. With AD lurking in the background to alter. If the suns beat the Nuggets which I think they will, it's because Murray will cool down and pheonix fire power will pop off. Their last matchup was close and they added Beal a 25 ppg scorer. Still have Ayton too, this is a bona-fide dynasty talent level team. Just have to figure out how to play with each other

Beal and Booker literally do the exact same thing. One is going to have to take a back seat (probably Beal). We’ll see if that happens.

If Beal is cool with busting his ass on D and only getting maybe 15 shots a game then it’s possible.

Real Men Wear Green
07-16-2023, 03:48 PM

Overwhelming offense is possible but a third option never averaged 25. I am not sure he'll even average 20. They are still looking like they will get worn out by the elevation in Denver and I doubt they can win if they can't keep Jokic from dropping a 27+ point triple double every night

theman93
07-16-2023, 03:49 PM
Suns would have been better off trying to get McGee

Xiao Yao You
07-16-2023, 04:15 PM
Suns would have been better off trying to get McGee

Dallas would pay for them to take him for the next 3 seasons I'm sure :roll:

HylianNightmare
07-16-2023, 09:27 PM
Tunnel vision on offense. Disengaged on defense, would think getting minutes on a bum franchise would motivate him to get value up but guess not

coin24
07-17-2023, 02:37 AM
Need another big and a proper pg..
Just doesn’t seem like a well balanced team.

What’s with all this talk of Denver, they’re a one and done like the bucks.
Back to second round exits for them

highwhey
07-17-2023, 02:54 AM
Need another big and a proper pg..
Just doesn’t seem like a well balanced team.

What’s with all this talk of Denver, they’re a one and done like the bucks.
Back to second round exits for them

doubt it. the lakers are old and injury prone. warriors are up there in age. sacramento is to young, dallas seems like a tier 2 team still. denver seems like the team to beat still. unless the celtics get a point guard...

wagexslave
07-17-2023, 11:52 PM

Agreed. I've never understood why people are so worried about this Suns roster's defense. Their defense will likely be average. Better than people are acting, because people are bringing 5 year outdated takes as they're still trashing on D Book who's become a net positive defender for the past 3 years and puts in a 100% effort. So honestly I think the team will have average overall defense. Which is fine. Clearly you don't need great defense to win a championship. Look who just won the damn championship, people. We literally just witnessed a team with average defense and great offense completely DOMINATE a playoffs run.

People acting like we need to stop Jokic to win... who in the whole NBA is stopping Jokic? Nobody. Period. It's an unrealistic expectation to stop Jokic. But the Suns don't need to stop him. People forget that the Suns had almost 0 contribution outside of Book and KD in the playoffs, and Book and KD only got to play with each other a grand total of like 8 games before the playoffs. KD was fresh off that injury. Monty's gameplans were as awful as ever. Yet they still won more games vs the Nugs than anyone else.

And yet we still saw the benefit of KD's gravity. Book was getting more open shots than ever in his career. Literally the best scorer Booker played with before KD joined was literal Eric "I dont wanna be here" Bledsoe. Let that sink in. He's had to deal with teams game planning and double/triple teaming him first and foremost his entire NBA career. It must feel amazing playing next to KD knowing teams can't gameplan like that anymore. He drilling shots at an insane clip in the playoffs. I would expect Beal to get a similar, if lesser, benefit. And all 3 of them to get the benefit of actually being able to play off each other and also the ability to rest while still having an elite scorer or 2 on the court.

And now that the Suns actually have a decent bench instead of a god awful one, and more importantly a bench filled with absolute 3-and-D snipers, teams can no longer leave guys open in the corner to help on KD/Book/Beal. Even this past playoffs, KD and Book were finding guys open in the corner so often but they were just bums who missed open 3 after open 3. That wont happen with this new roster.

Besides,all of this is ignoring the x-factor in the equation. Going back to the defense argument, Jokic admitted in the past that Ayton gave him more issues defensively than anyone else in the league. That was back before the Suns team drama happened with Monty/Ayton, before the Pacers contract matching situation, before Monty openly admitted to Ayton(and Crowder) that he hated them both. Before the Sarver racism/drama situation was a distraction for the team. After all of that, Ayton+Crowder seemed to stop caring much about the team. Shit, Crowder sat at home asking for a trade. Ayton showed up to get his 18/10 avg but seemingly stopped caring about doing good on defense. The effort wasn't there anymore.

Ayton has now got his "much needed change of scenery", but in a different way than simply leaving to the Pacers. Monty is now gone. The only teammate of his left from 2021 Finals run is D Book, who supposedly has a good relationship with him.. New owner and team president. Whole new coaching staff, with Frank Vogel who's known to get the most out of big men defensively If Vogel can get Ayton excited to be a Phoenix Sun again... get him motivated and playing with that kind of effort and focus defensively again like he used to, then watch out. That would be massive.

highwhey
07-18-2023, 12:00 AM
Agreed. I've never understood why people are so worried about this Suns roster's defense. Their defense will likely be average. Better than people are acting, because people are bringing 5 year outdated takes as they're still trashing on D Book who's become a net positive defender for the past 3 years and puts in a 100% effort. So honestly I think the team will have average overall defense. Which is fine. Clearly you don't need great defense to win a championship. Look who just won the damn championship, people. We literally just witnessed a team with average defense and great offense completely DOMINATE a playoffs run.

People acting like we need to stop Jokic to win... who in the whole NBA is stopping Jokic? Nobody. Period. It's an unrealistic expectation to stop Jokic. But the Suns don't need to stop him. People forget that the Suns had almost 0 contribution outside of Book and KD in the playoffs, and Book and KD only got to play with each other a grand total of like 8 games before the playoffs. KD was fresh off that injury. Monty's gameplans were as awful as ever.

And yet we still saw the benefit of KD's gravity. Book was getting more open shots than ever in his career, and drilling them at an insane clip. I would expect Beal to get a similar benefit, and all 3 of them to get the benefit of actually being able to play off each other and also the ability to rest while still having an elite scorer or 2 on the court. And now that the Suns actully have a decent bench instead of a god awful one, and more importantly a bench filled with absolute 3-and-D snipers, teams can no longer leave guys open in the corner to help on KD/Book/Beal. Even this past playoffs, KD and Book were finding guys open in the corner so often but they were just bums who missed open 3 after open 3. That wont happen with this new roster.

Besides,all of this is ignoring the x-factor in the equation. Going back to the defense argument, Jokic admitted in the past that Ayton gave him more issues defensively than anyone else in the league. That was back before the Suns team drama happened with Monty/Ayton, before the Pacers contract matching situation, before Monty openly admitted to Ayton(and Crowder) that he hated them both. Before the Sarver racism/drama situation was a distraction for the team. After all of that, Ayton+Crowder seemed to stop caring much about the team. Shit, Crowder sat at home asking for a trade. Ayton showed up to get his 18/10 avg but seemingly stopped caring about doing good on defense. The effort wasn't there anymore.

Ayton has now got his "much needed change of scenery", but in a different way than simply leaving to the Pacers. Monty is now gone. The only teammate of his left from 2021 Finals run is D Book, who supposedly has a good relationship with him.. New owner and team president. Whole new coaching staff, with Frank Vogel who's known to get the most out of big men defensively If Vogel can get Ayton excited to be a Phoenix Sun again... get him motivated and playing with that kind of effort and focus defensively again like he used to, then watch out. That would be massive.

yeah, the last missing key is Ayton playing well again. we don't even need him to be as good as 2021 version, but even 70% of that would be excellent bc we don't need much from him besides solid defense and rebounding. shit, it would have been a 7 game series against the nuggets if he played well...

MavAlbert
07-18-2023, 02:32 AM

sure. if youre a complete buffoon.

BarberSchool
07-18-2023, 03:29 PM
Length has no effect when the long players body and legs can be so easily pushed back.

ProTip for ISH posters who didn’t play college ball or at least high level AAU ball in a huge urban area:

Really skinny weak long/tall guys aren’t valuable as post defenders against heavy post players. Their length is only valuable as a rotating help defender where it’s much less likely a heavier stronger player can get into their weak body or legs on their “gather to jump”

Even guys who try to talk big, but don’t weigh much like KG, got very few blocked shots on the dude they’re guarding: They get the vast majority of their blocked shots when they were free to roam and help in space.

Real Men Wear Green
07-18-2023, 03:36 PM
sure. if youre a complete buffoon.

It took you two days to find this alt's password and you want to call other people stupid?

Real Men Wear Green
07-18-2023, 03:45 PM
Length has no effect when the long players body and legs can be so easily pushed back.

ProTip for ISH posters who didn’t play college ball or at least high level AAU ball in a huge urban area:

Really skinny weak long/tall guys aren’t valuable as post defenders against heavy post players. Their length is only valuable as a rotating help defender where it’s much less likely a heavier stronger player can get into their weak body or legs on their “gather to jump”

Even guys who try to talk big, but don’t weigh much like KG, got very few blocked shots on the dude they’re guarding: They get the vast majority of their blocked shots when they were free to roam and help in space.
None of this answered the question. I asked if anyone had whatever sliver of data may exist or maybe some footage of Bol defending Jokic. You can insert the name of any player in the NBA and he isn't likely based on analysis to stop Jokic. Jokic is the Finals mvp, a repeat mvp that could have 3-peated. He basically averaged a 30 point triple double in the playoffs. Whatever you claimed to learn about 7'2 centers playing college ball... good for you but it had nothing to do with the question.

warriorfan
07-18-2023, 11:09 PM
None of this answered the question. I asked if anyone had whatever sliver of data may exist or maybe some footage of Bol defending Jokic. You can insert the name of any player in the NBA and he isn't likely based on analysis to stop Jokic. Jokic is the Finals mvp, a repeat mvp that could have 3-peated. He basically averaged a 30 point triple double in the playoffs. Whatever you claimed to learn about 7'2 centers playing college ball... good for you but it had nothing to do with the question.

dude, all things considered people have been very polite regarding your absurd take.

quit while you are somewhat ahead still and let it die

this double down shit is getting into big time yikes territory

BarberSchool
07-19-2023, 04:26 AM
None of this answered the question. I asked if anyone had whatever sliver of data may exist or maybe some footage of Bol defending Jokic. You can insert the name of any player in the NBA and he isn't likely based on analysis to stop Jokic. Jokic is the Finals mvp, a repeat mvp that could have 3-peated. He basically averaged a 30 point triple double in the playoffs. Whatever you claimed to learn about 7'2 centers playing college ball... good for you but it had nothing to do with the question.lol Nicca, it answered your question, and then some.

Rather than stepping on the ant, I smashed it with a hammer.

Do better.

Real Men Wear Green
07-19-2023, 07:12 AM
lol Nicca, it answered your question, and then some.

Rather than stepping on the ant, I smashed it with a hammer.

Do better.

You made a reply. You did not reply with the requested information. I didn't ask for your analysis, anyone can guess why Bol wouldn't be effective and I don't particularly care what you think. I asked for actual evidence, that being whatever small recorded stats there are or just a little bit of video. You clearly don't have that.

Carbine
07-19-2023, 08:11 AM

People acting like we need to stop Jokic to win... who in the whole NBA is stopping Jokic? Nobody. Period. It's an unrealistic expectation to stop Jokic. But the Suns don't need to stop him. People forget that the Suns had almost 0 contribution outside of Book and KD in the playoffs, and Book and KD only got to play with each other a grand total of like 8 games before the playoffs. KD was fresh off that injury. Monty's gameplans were as awful as ever. Yet they still won more games vs the Nugs than anyone else.

And yet we still saw the benefit of KD's gravity. Book was getting more open shots than ever in his career. Literally the best scorer Booker played with before KD joined was literal Eric "I dont wanna be here" Bledsoe. Let that sink in. He's had to deal with teams game planning and double/triple teaming him first and foremost his entire NBA career. It must feel amazing playing next to KD knowing teams can't gameplan like that anymore. He drilling shots at an insane clip in the playoffs. I would expect Beal to get a similar, if lesser, benefit. And all 3 of them to get the benefit of actually being able to play off each other and also the ability to rest while still having an elite scorer or 2 on the court.

And now that the Suns actually have a decent bench instead of a god awful one, and more importantly a bench filled with absolute 3-and-D snipers, teams can no longer leave guys open in the corner to help on KD/Book/Beal. Even this past playoffs, KD and Book were finding guys open in the corner so often but they were just bums who missed open 3 after open 3. That wont happen with this new roster.

The Nuggets played excellent defense during the playoffs overall. They were ranked higher than some teams with defensive reputations like Miami and Boston.

wagexslave
07-19-2023, 09:47 AM
The Nuggets played excellent defense during the playoffs overall. They were ranked higher than some teams with defensive reputations like Miami and Boston.

Perfect example as to why people shouldn't sleep on the Suns defensively. Even if their regular season defensive stats end up being be middle of the road(I'd be shocked if they were lower than that), people should take it with a grain of salt.

I wont be surprised if, at times, it feels like a lot of guys on this roster are sleep-walking their way through the regular season just waiting for the playoffs. But I trust the guys the have on the roster to step up their defense in the playoffs. There's plenty of solid defenders on this team, and some guys who have the tools to be really good defenders. Vogel is specifically known to get the most out of his teams defensively, so I'm not worried about it. I think this team will be way better defensively than many people are acting like.

The dope part about this season though is that now that we will be having the NBA Cup in the middle of the season which is like a mini-playoffs/championship, we don't have to wait all the way until the playoffs to get to evaluate how this team does in a high stakes situation. I'm sure players will be salivating at the chance to be listed in sports history as winning the first NBA Cup ever, so I expect the tournament to be more competitive and exciting than people imagined.

Not gonna lie, it would be pretty ****ing cool if my Suns, who went all of these decades without a single championship, managed to finally win one AND won the first NBA Cup as well in the same season. That would be such a hype payoff after being a fan all these years patiently waiting to see them win one.

elementally morale
07-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Wembanyama has more of a chance than Bol. But only as help defenders. Jokic is way too heavy for them. He will very easily back them down and has very good footwork to take the shot. So as help defenders, sure. H2H not really.

warriorfan
07-20-2023, 03:38 PM
Wembanyama has more of a chance than Bol. But only as help defenders. Jokic is way too heavy for them. He will very easily back them down and has very good footwork to take the shot. So as help defenders, sure. H2H not really.

and their length will actually work against them. with long legs and the higher center of gravity it will make the problems of their weight disparities even worse when trying to hold position