PDA

View Full Version : Any point guard in history you'd take over Luka Doncic?

iamgine
07-21-2023, 06:07 AM
May I remind you this man averaged 44-12-11 per 100 poss with an efficient 61 TS%. Has been averaging this sort of numbers for a few seasons now.

Axe
07-21-2023, 06:25 AM
Based on what? If it's not limited to offense, then magic probably.

elementally morale
07-21-2023, 09:04 AM
Magic for sure. Peak Steph Curry vs. present Luka Doncic probably. Possibly Oscar Robertson with state of the art training and healing. Isiah Thomas is a long shot.... peak Isiah might be. Anyone else definitely no.

FultzNationRISE
07-21-2023, 10:20 AM
Magic for sure, assuming hed be at least as proficient in threes as Luka if he played in this era. The vid kblaze posted of old fat hiv Magic still dominating with size skill and intuition reminded me of watching Doncic play. Except Magic could also run the court once upon a time.

If Luka takes his maturity and focus up a notch youll be hard pressed to take many other all time greats over him at the position. Right now Im not sure I could confidently take him over Nash and Kidd. He’s a better individual player but good leadership makes everyone else on the team better individual players.

tpols
07-21-2023, 10:31 AM
In 2022 when Luka made the WCFs his offense was 15th ranked and 25th ranked in assists. So despite him being a an individual maestro at basketball and a big balls player... he's not playing team basketball.

People would probably be surprised to know their defense (under coach Kidd) was much better than their offense.

Curry, Magic, and Nash all led record breaking #1 ranked offenses. Those guys played team basketball. Luka doesn't.

Real Men Wear Green
07-21-2023, 10:32 AM
Curry and Magic definitely. Doncic style monopolized the ball like maybe no one else ever has. He's worth it but Curry gives just a much offense while teammates still get touches. I believe Magic could do just as much if he dominated the offense that way.

elementally morale
07-21-2023, 10:34 AM
In 2022 when Luka made the WCFs his offense was 15th ranked and 25th ranked in assists. So despite him being a an individual maestro at basketball and a big balls player... he's not playing team basketball.

People would probably be surprised to know their defense (under coach Kidd) was much better than their offense.

Curry, Magic, and Nash all led record breaking #1 ranked offenses. Those guys played team basketball. Luka doesn't.

You may have a point (pun not intended). Nash may be a good choice if the team around him is good enough. If not, Luka may be better. Of course there is a counterargument: the team around Nash would be better anyway because Nash makes his teammates better and Luka doesn't. I think we have to wait and see. Luka's career is still in the making.

90sgoat
07-21-2023, 10:46 AM
Curry and Magic both yes. At this point.

Probably also Stockton.

I strongly suspect that I'll pick Luka over all of them in a couple of years though.

Carbine
07-21-2023, 03:20 PM
Luka has to figure a way to play like LeBron this year where he wasn't nearly as ball dominant but still produced near his usual.

It's not going to happen anytime soon though. Kyrie is a phenomenal iso player too, so they'll just think they can score enough with those two pounding the rock 95 percent of the time and defend adequately to give them a chance.

Patrick Chewing
07-21-2023, 03:40 PM
Scott Skiles

hold this L
07-23-2023, 11:04 PM
OP should be added in the biggest retards and what they say topic in the first page on ish.

Axe
07-23-2023, 11:11 PM
OP should be added in the biggest retards and what they say topic in the first page on ish.
I remember you confusing cashew24 for him due to similarities on their avys. :kobe:

hold this L
07-23-2023, 11:37 PM
I remember you confusing cashew24 for him due to similarities on their avys. :kobe:

Shit happens

SaltyMeatballs
07-24-2023, 12:07 AM
Magic and Curry

Jasper
07-24-2023, 10:04 AM
luka is a SG(.)

Full Court
07-25-2023, 12:04 AM
luka is a SG(.)

The lines are pretty blurry these days between a PG and an SG.

PeroAntic
07-25-2023, 10:26 AM
Prime DRose without a doubt.

paksat
07-25-2023, 08:44 PM
07-2014 chris paul

prime magic

steph

It's hard to leave steph off a top 10 all time list right now, I don't know how you can even think luka couldn't be replaced by him. I don't care too much for steph, but he's without a doubt the greatest shooter the game has ever seen. He has pretty decent handles, has decent size now, he's a pretty all around player

bizil
07-26-2023, 08:15 PM
Magic and Steph for sure. But I think Oscar deserves a look as well. IN A SENSE, Luka reminds me of a larger version of Oscar. Big physical PG's who love to use their size to punish other guards. And BOTH are 30 PPG triple double guys. And PG's who prefer to pass first. But THEY AREN'T as pass first as guys like Magic, Isiah, Stock, Nash, etc. So I would say Magic, Steph, and possible Oscar. Of ALL the top 10 GOAT PG's, Luka is the most similar to Oscar. Being big physical PG's, great floor generals, and guys who be on that 27-30 PPG triple double stuff. EVEN THOUGH it's not an exact comparison of course. Of course due to size and triple double ability, Luka has some Magic in his game too of course.

bizil
07-26-2023, 08:22 PM
And for those that say Luka is an SG, u GOTTA UNDERSTAND that he's usually on the court with a SG and swingman type at the 2 and 3 spots. So that MEANS Luka is the PG FLAT OUT! Sure at times, he could move to other positions during the game at times (like Magic back in the day). BUT Luka's primary position is PG FLAT OUT! Defensively (like Magic) he doesn't have to defend the PG's. The Mavs will do cross matchups to where Luka could guard the SG, SF, or even PF depending on the best fit. And even though most of the league is made up of score first PG's, Luka ACTUALLY PREFERS to be a pass first PG who can ALSO average 27-30 PPG. Sort of the mentality of Oscar back in the day.

John8204
07-27-2023, 05:15 AM
Magic, Oscar, and Curry are givens

Now I would likely prefer to have a more traditional well-rounded PG like Chris Paul, John Stockton or Tiny Archibald over Luka. But that would mostly have to do with fit not skill.

I would take Luka over the guys that can't score like Kidd, Nash, Cousy.

For me Doncic is on the level of Frazier and Thomas as each player offers similar value in different regions

elementally morale
07-27-2023, 06:56 AM
I would take Luka over the guys that can't score like Kidd, Nash, Cousy.

Sorry but Nash could score. It clearly showed when he was playing for the Suns. Actually when itt mattered he scored really well. Timely shots on high percentages. And was always a threat due to the combination of great passing and precise shooting. Quick release, too.

bizil
07-27-2023, 09:23 AM
Sorry but Nash could score. It clearly showed when he was playing for the Suns. Actually when itt mattered he scored really well. Timely shots on high percentages. And was always a threat due to the combination of great passing and precise shooting. Quick release, too.

Nash could ABSOLUTELY fill it up and score the rock. You can't put him in the group of PG's like a Stockton, Kidd, Mo Cheeks, Rondo, Simmons, etc. Those guys DON'T have an alpha dog scoring bag they can get into consistently. Nash FOR SURE can get into that bag. Before Curry came around, he was the BEST BLEND of passing, shooting, and handles EVER at the PG spot. Nash and Price BEFORE Steph were the standard for that type of combination at the PG spot.

The difference is Steph is a scoring PG while Nash and Price were more old school pass first PG's! 18 PPG from Nash is DIFFERENT than 17 PPG from a Stock or Kidd. Nash was LOADED with scoring talent in Dallas and Phoenix. So since he's an ultimate pass first PG, he didn't need to score 20+ PPG. But he certainly had the skill and TAKEOVER SCORING bag in his game!