PDA

View Full Version : Rick Barry said Ray Allen should’ve been called for a travel on his shot for Miami

eliteballer
07-22-2023, 03:06 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/the-spurs-should-ve-been-the-champions-rick-barry-said-ray-allen-should-ve-been-called-for-a-travel-on-his-clutch-shot-for-the-miami-heat/ar-AA1ecNQx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=627f378d7cf0455ca47ed122a49b896b&ei=26

SouBeachTalents
07-22-2023, 03:10 PM
Kawhi should've been called on his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWBDSR9Cv0&ab_channel=JASARABIA

tpols
07-22-2023, 03:28 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/the-spurs-should-ve-been-the-champions-rick-barry-said-ray-allen-should-ve-been-called-for-a-travel-on-his-clutch-shot-for-the-miami-heat/ar-AA1ecNQx?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=627f378d7cf0455ca47ed122a49b896b&ei=26

He did do a step back with no dribble lol....

ILLsmak
07-23-2023, 04:28 PM

it was but no way they call it. Nobody is whining about that, imo. I mean even MJ's push off was like yeah they prol should have called that, but what Ray did was so amazing and didn't really bend the rules THAT much... I can't blame him. It was an iconic moment.

I can't even imagine some ref blowing the whistle and doing that thing where they step into their call and make exaggerated gestures.... TTTRRRAVELING. It's like wat?! Would be hilarious, but p bogus to the integrity of bball. But letter of law he absolutely traveled and we all know it haha. But it wasn't that big of a travel. It did get him behind the line, so it helped, but still, I can't take away from that, and man I wish that shot never happened.

-Smak

Overdrive
07-23-2023, 05:24 PM

When you get the ball in motion you can usually take two steps. I never read anywhere that they have to be towards the basket.

JohnMax
07-23-2023, 06:13 PM
In prior eras you only had one elite 3-point shooting superstar. Reggie Miller in 1990s. Ray Allen in 2000s. But when Ray Allen hit that legendary shot in game 6 of 2013 Finals. It created a ripple effect in the time line and led to multiple elite 3-point shooters in one era. Two of them were drafted by the same team (Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson) and the third one is in Portland and has two legendary walk off game winners.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mejFtEY5faU
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HMm5NtXLVDY

ILLsmak
07-23-2023, 09:54 PM
When you get the ball in motion you can usually take two steps. I never read anywhere that they have to be towards the basket.

It was a shuffle. Like way way back you'd actually have a pivot foot and stuff, remm that? He changed his pivot foot multiple times after catching. Those weren't 'steps.' The first step was legit but the second one was a travel.

https://youtu.be/tr6XsZVb-ZE?t=39

Gotta give him props it was a hell of a move and a shot, though. He's got like foot memory haha. But yeah to get behind the line he shuffled back. I think he might have taken '3 steps' if you really count, but it's hard to say. Either way, I'm going with the 'final move to get him cleanly behind the arc' was a travel.

-Smak

warriorfan
07-23-2023, 09:59 PM

SaltyMeatballs
07-24-2023, 12:08 AM
He's just a bitter old racist man

Jasper
07-24-2023, 10:00 AM
Kawhi should've been called on his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPWBDSR9Cv0&ab_channel=JASARABIA

10 4

Jasper
07-24-2023, 10:03 AM

Wrong he is allowed a step to id position , his right foot did that and was not a travel.

WhiteKyrie
07-24-2023, 01:50 PM
it was but no way they call it. Nobody is whining about that, imo. I mean even MJ's push off was like yeah they prol should have called that, but what Ray did was so amazing and didn't really bend the rules THAT much... I can't blame him. It was an iconic moment.

Mike didn't remotely push off. Not even close to offensive foul worthy to be called, either. They covered it in the documentary. There has been mixes showcasing him doing the exact same move. He blew by Byron the previous possession. Byron's momentum was anticipating the drive, and Mike was too quick for him, was already beat and he was playing catchup. That's why the pull back crossover broke him so bad. Jordan clearly doesn't exert enough force to do that with his hand barely on dude's ass. It's an extreme over exaggeration made by either Jordan Haters or someone who clearly doesn't play, and doesn't know what they're talking about.

- WhiteKyrie

Baller234
07-24-2023, 01:53 PM
Mike didn't remotely push off. Not even close to offensive foul worthy to be called, either. They covered it in the documentary. There has been mixes showcasing him doing the exact same move. He blew by Byron the previous possession. Byron's momentum was anticipating the drive, and Mike was too quick for him, was already beat and he was playing catchup. That's why the pull back crossover broke him so bad. Jordan clearly doesn't exert enough force to do that with his hand barely on dude's ass. It's an extreme over exaggeration made by either Jordan Haters or someone who clearly doesn't play, and doesn't know what they're talking about.

- WhiteKyrie

Russell's reaction, or lack thereof, says it all. Had he been pushed, I'm sure he would have been complaining.

Yet in that moment nobody on the Jazz team, including Russell himself, seems outraged over a missed call as if there was just some huge injustice.

beasted
07-24-2023, 01:58 PM
We've seen this same step over and over and over for the past decade plus, especially with the splash bros, Harden, Booker, etc. What's new here in how the rules are defined and executed?

I'm literally interested to understand the perspective of some of the posters calling a travel. When a player catches a a hit ahead pass, we've seen this since the beginning of basketball time that a player is allowed two steps. We've all seen plenty of fast breaks where a player takes the one gather step, jumps off two feet and finishes. What difference does it make if this is done backwards?

Allen did not have possession of the ball on the "gather step". He was catching the ball while taking one step backwards, then rises and shoots the ball.

The poster that said "He changed his pivot foot multiple times after catching" is seeing something I haven't after watching this action at least 10 times in slow motion. Maybe they are just having a difficult time articulating what they mean cause I just don't get it. Not trying to make this a personal attack at all. Really asking for understanding.

WhiteKyrie
07-24-2023, 02:15 PM
Russell's reaction, or lack thereof, says it all. Had he been pushed, I'm sure he would have been complaining.

Yet in that moment nobody on the Jazz team, including Russell himself, seems outraged over a missed call as if there was just some huge injustice.
Bingo. Like MJ literally shoved the guy. It's extreme exaggeration

Overdrive
07-24-2023, 03:25 PM
We've seen this same step over and over and over for the past decade plus, especially with the splash bros, Harden, Booker, etc. What's new here in how the rules are defined and executed?

I'm literally interested to understand the perspective of some of the posters calling a travel. When a player catches a a hit ahead pass, we've seen this since the beginning of basketball time that a player is allowed two steps. We've all seen plenty of fast breaks where a player takes the one gather step, jumps off two feet and finishes. What difference does it make if this is done backwards?

Allen did not have possession of the ball on the "gather step". He was catching the ball while taking one step backwards, then rises and shoots the ball.

The poster that said "He changed his pivot foot multiple times after catching" is seeing something I haven't after watching this action at least 10 times in slow motion. Maybe they are just having a difficult time articulating what they mean cause I just don't get it. Not trying to make this a personal attack at all. Really asking for understanding.

Yeah already aaid that. Catching ball in motion means 2 steps allowed. Nowhere in the rules does it state which direction.

beasted
07-24-2023, 04:08 PM
Yeah already aaid that. Catching ball in motion means 2 steps allowed. Nowhere in the rules does it state which direction.

I agree completely with your take. This specific example didn't introduce a hop step, multiple steps after gather, disputed point of control or any of the typically disputed subjects related to traveling. This is a pretty straight forward non travel, supported by a referee assessment after the game.

Rick Barry and others just don't understand the rules, and even if we're going to begin questioning the rules, this was a terrible play to use as the example.

There are plenty of Kyrie, Luka, LeBron and Harden plays to dissect.

kawhileonard2
07-24-2023, 09:46 PM
He's just a bitter old racist man

Why does he have to be racist?

ILLsmak
07-25-2023, 06:54 PM

- WhiteKyrie

Like I told you lil kids, you obviously never played tag as kids. One of the most hilarious thing to do as a kid was push people down while playing tag because you don't need much to knock someone over when you are moving at that level. It's kind of like how you can just barely clip someone who is going up for a dunk on a break and get a flagrant foul. Same idea. If you can just focus on HIS HAND touching DUDE'S HIP and dude getting shed, not only did MJ lose him, but it also balanced himself. It was a gigantic 'gain' move, and that's what a foul should be. Something you do that gives you an advantage. By that move, he not only disadvantaged the defender, but he also gave himself an advantage. It's cute that they did a take on it in a Documentary? Was it a Doc about MJ? Was it the Last Dance? haha. It's like let's pause and examine this to make sure you all know it wasn't a push off... we cool? OK, back to the movie.

You guyse. It makes me sad, sometimes! I'm not an MJ hater, but I did get tired of him. I'm from IL, so I've seen a lot of MJ? He got a bunch of trash calls during his career, and if that makes you think he wasn't the GOAT or think less of him, so be it. To me, I can accept that's just how the NBA is and that he is still the GOAT. But he did push off, egregiously, and Ray Ray did travel, but not as egregiously. It isn't until you see the replay that you know it's a travel. Those refs were not looking at his feet at that moment, are you kidding me? Counting his steps when it's off a broken tip out offensive rebound? Heh.

But yeah, I love 'debating' on ISH. Go White Kyrie.

Peace

Edit: also lol @ we've seen the same move for years... it's like yeah... we have. Nobody is trying to take away his 3, but by the way bball was called for, yknow... 50+ years, that is a travel. That's why you see older men watching nba games muttering "he traveled... he traveled..." I guess I'm getting old, then, but heh... if we wanted to do like a presentation or an essay on what defines a travel, like if dudes wanna take it to that level, lemme know. But, again, nobody is trying to take away that shot. It is something that happens a lot. Just like a lot of things happen a lot. The NBA is more and more lax with rules. WE KNOW THIS.

-Smak

ILLsmak
07-25-2023, 07:00 PM
DP