PDA

View Full Version : IG post about DeMarcus Cousins "He's also better than Embiid, by like a fair margin"

Im Still Ballin
07-24-2023, 07:40 AM
Is there a player in recent memory more overrated? He was a modern Derrick Coleman but people speak about him like he was an ATG in his prime. You guys know how I feel about DMC these days. I'll quote a post I made about him a year or two back below.

I legitimately think rookie Embiid (2016-2017) was a better player than any version of Cousins. More impactful; contributes more to winning games.

What do you think?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvC6k3ELyzG/?hl=en

Boogie over embiid button [14,723 likes]

better than embiid too [12,149 likes]

He’s also better than Embiid, by like a fair margin. [11,844 likes]

prime boogie killin embiid tf [1,063 likes]

Not a crazy take at all. Bro was on pace to be a top 5 center ever. [531 likes]

Slightly under Nikola Jokic & way more dominant/efficient than current Joel Embiid ‼️ [1,013 likes]

I’ll take boogie over embiid [4,089 likes]

https://i.ibb.co/qxLdm6H/NmwkNAq.png

Im Still Ballin
07-24-2023, 07:41 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?501403-Prime-DeMarcus-Cousins-is-one-of-the-most-overrated-players-of-the-last-20-years

I see these posts online talking about how, if DMC was in his prime, he'd be up there with Embiid, Jokic, and KAT. Got me SMH'n.

I used to be the biggest fan of him on this forum, but even I eventually had the face the truth. The man simply wasn't a winning basketball player. Probably the best example of empty stats that I've ever seen. He could put up 30 points in a game, but it'd be offset by 5 turnovers, 5 fouls including a technical foul, and not getting back on defense.

Here's the key reason reasons why he wasn't a winning player.

1) Inefficient volume scorer.

Despite taking lots of shots in the post and in the paint, he was incredibly inefficient. Routinely led the league in getting his shot blocked.

2) Foul prone.

Averaged close to 4 fouls a game.

3) Turnover prone.

Turned the ball over a crazy amount.

4) Out of shape and lazy.

Took forever to get back on defense. Teams probably scored 3-4 easy baskets a game because of this. When you boil it right down, this was the difference between potentially making the playoffs and being 10+ games below .500%.

Also took forever to get into the half-court offense. Gave his team less time to actually run plays. This may seem insignificant, but think about how many times it happens in a game. Probably robbed his team of 2-3 quality shots a game.

5) Emotionally unstable.

All his problems heightened during any high-pressure, clutch situation. Routinely put up errand, low quality shots, turnovers, technical fouls. One of the more unclutch players I've ever watched.

Im Still Ballin
07-24-2023, 07:47 AM
A 2009 scouting report got him perfectly. All the same problems he had in the pros.

The potential, as always, is incredibly obvious. With a massive frame, long arms, great size and terrific fluidity and mobility considering his build, Cousins has not only the physical attributes of an NBA big man, but also many of the skills. He has great touch both facing and with his back to the basket, hitting a number of outside shots as well as some excellent hook shots and turnaround jumpers in the lane. He can also create his own shot beautifully from the high post, putting the ball on the floor nicely, and pivoting and spinning into a gorgeous finger roll. Few big men at the college level, let alone high school, can create their own shot with such ease both inside and outside the paint, which is what makes him so unique.

The problem is that everything else he does on the court makes him stand out just as much, and not in a positive way. Cousins was matched up with a very tough and physical defender in Maryland bound James Padgett, and he looked extremely frustrated with the contact he was forced to take around the basket. Padgett bodied him up all game long and really got underneath Cousins' skin, causing him to get extremely distracted. His questionable conditioning came into play already in the first quarter, as he began sucking wind very early on, and he became completely exhausted in the fourth quarter, walking around with his hands on his hips. He repeatedly settled for tough fade-away jumpers outside the paint, and much preferred to hang out on the perimeter rather than deal with the contact from Padgett inside.

Defensively, Cousins put little to no effort in, showing very poor fundamentals and obviously saving himself for his team's offensive possessions. He was always the last player getting back up the floor, sometimes just not making his way over at all, something that surprisingly happened both on the offensive and defensive end. He looked extremely lazy throughout the game, giving up the distinct impression that he just wasn't interested in playing.

Even though he's obviously a big talent, Cousins isn't that much of a sure-fire NBA lock to be mailing it in just yet. He's just an average athlete at best by NBA standards, showing underwhelming leaping ability and just-decent quickness getting up and down the floor. There have been plenty of similarly ranked high school big men (see James Lang, DeAngelo Collins, Jackie Butler, etc) who never panned out despite racking up huge accolades as prep players, so he's not yet reached the point that he can flip the light switch on and off whenever he pleases. Hopefully this is just a product of Cousins' youth, and he will mature in college (he's reportedly a lock for Memphis according to the word here) and fulfill his immense potential.

- Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/demarcus-cousins-1318/ ©DraftExpress

Xiao Yao You
07-24-2023, 08:15 AM
He was a bum. Inefficient, lazy, pouting and non defending cancer

SouBeachTalents
07-24-2023, 08:22 AM
You’ve made this topic a couple of times, the last thing in the world I would ever consider Cousins to be is overrated. You can find idiots on social media agreeing on legitimately anything, but when do you ever see people bringing him up as some superstar player? He got a little bit of hype when he was briefly on the Pelicans, but besides that? He was widely considered empty stats with WOAT intangibles in Sacramento, and was never even a relevant player after his injury. The guy was being passed up for All-NBA First Team for DeAndre Jordan, so it’s not like the media was overrating him either.

PeroAntic
07-24-2023, 08:38 AM
A 2009 scouting report got him perfectly. All the same problems he had in the pros.

I guess its about what you decide to put in bold. Boogie is still the most skilled center I have seen. I don't know how people can praise someone like Kyrie or KD and shit on Cousins. Its the same player different position.

warriorfan
07-24-2023, 08:49 AM
sky was the limit for him, when he was coming out of college I thought he was a for sure Hof lock if he could improve his attitude and intangibles.

Xiao Yao You
07-24-2023, 08:52 AM
I guess its about what you decide to put in bold. Boogie is still the most skilled center I have seen. I don't know how people can praise someone like Kyrie or KD and shit on Cousins. Its the same player different position.

He is in the same class as Kyrie. Cancerous POS

Full Court
07-24-2023, 12:45 PM
"Defensively, Cousins put little to no effort in, showing very poor fundamentals and obviously saving himself for his team's offensive possessions. He was always the last player getting back up the floor, sometimes just not making his way over at all, something that surprisingly happened both on the offensive and defensive end."

:lol Sounds exactly like another player we all know who's extremely overrated.

ShawkFactory
07-24-2023, 01:23 PM
Yea he was an enigma in every sense. He was an ultimate baller but not a true and complete basketball player.

Im Still Ballin
07-24-2023, 01:26 PM
"Defensively, Cousins put little to no effort in, showing very poor fundamentals and obviously saving himself for his team's offensive possessions. He was always the last player getting back up the floor, sometimes just not making his way over at all, something that surprisingly happened both on the offensive and defensive end."

:lol Sounds exactly like another player we all know who's extremely overrated.

Hurts more when it's your center. The anchor of your defense and the screen setter and play finisher of your offense.

PeroAntic
07-24-2023, 02:23 PM
He is in the same class as Kyrie. Cancerous POS

Yet Kyrie is getting the supermax and Boogie is out the league. Hypocrisy + blackballing

Full Court
07-24-2023, 02:59 PM
Hurts more when it's your center. The anchor of your defense and the screen setter and play finisher of your offense.

That's fair.

Xiao Yao You
07-24-2023, 03:01 PM
Yet Kyrie is getting the supermax and Boogie is out the league. Hypocrisy + blackballing

an inefficient player that doesn't defend isn't getting blackballed. He brings little to the table other than his former hype

HylianNightmare
07-24-2023, 03:07 PM
Still got a rung. Would love to go see him in PR

Xiao Yao You
07-24-2023, 03:12 PM
Still got a rung. Would love to go see him in PR

Yeah Whiteside and Cousins going at it for the title of biggest Bum is must see tv

HylianNightmare
07-24-2023, 04:06 PM
Yeah Whiteside and Cousins going at it for the title of biggest Bum is must see tv

In Puerto Rico, where aside from that we can watch some minor league level baseball live, yeah it's a pretty big deal

Smook A.
07-24-2023, 04:14 PM
NBA fans on Instagram and Twitter are filled with casuals who are fueled by recency bias and nostalgia. Let's be real, Boogie was never even close to being as good as Embiid. People in the comments are only saying that because Embiid choked in the playoffs. Those morons probably don't even know that Boogie never once came close to making the playoffs when he was with the Kings

Im Still Ballin
07-24-2023, 04:45 PM
The DeMarcus Cousins, Derrick Coleman, Oliver Miller, BeeJay Anya types are frustrating as hell. Incredible natural gifts but lazy and selfish.

Stick Karl Malone or Tim Duncan's brain and consciousness into Cousins and he'd have been an all-time great. I can't say that The Mailman was as naturally gifted as DMC or Derrick Coleman. He simply worked harder and gave more of a damn. Maybe the most well-conditioned player ever; and despite his bulk, he ran harder than just about anyone.

tontoz
07-24-2023, 04:47 PM
NBA fans on Instagram and Twitter are filled with casuals who are fueled by recency bias and nostalgia. Let's be real, Boogie was never even close to being as good as Embiid. People in the comments are only saying that because Embiid choked in the playoffs. Those morons probably don't even know that Boogie never once came close to making the playoffs when he was with the Kings

Yeah pretty embarrising take. Boogie was an inefficient chucker that didn't play D.

His career TS of 54% would be bad for a guard in this era.