PDA

View Full Version : If you're an NBA player, do you think the championship means much?

iamgine
07-27-2023, 12:48 AM
To be honest, I don't think it will be a priority for me. Have you ever been to an NBA game? It's like a 4 hours long circus. Everything is loud and designed for entertainment. Plus cameras everywhere. The game itself feels secondary. People just want to have fun and you are the monkey in the zoo. Not the most competitive environment. I got sensory overload a couple hours in. A game in the rec center against the Mexican group feels more competitive.

elementally morale
07-27-2023, 07:41 AM
My first concern would be getting meaningful playing time. The second would be playing well enough to become a borderline All-Star the least. So we arrive at the 3rd (which is 1st in reality but you need the first 2 steps to acvieve it: Which would be getting paid enough to be set for life. 4th would be getting at least 1 ring. And the 5th is being remembered for at least 5-10 years after my career is over. Anything else is just a bonus.

Jasper
07-27-2023, 06:57 PM
most NBA players only think of corn curls and a ride that is fast like a Ferrari...

anything after that is cream on the cake

Full Court
07-29-2023, 11:45 AM
It meant a lot to Jordan...

Kblaze8855
07-29-2023, 12:08 PM
Relative to what?

Compared to money? Not at all. People with rings are walking around broke having to pawn them. What do I care about a ring when my kids and grandkids need college paid for?

Once I’ve locked up “**** it” wealth for enough generations I can no longer be held responsible for(3 or 4) I’d worry about my “legacy” in the eyes of fans.

Id want to win for myself but you gotta take care of your family first. Can’t put pride over your kids. If I’m 30 and have 150 million in earnings post tax like young stars can do now…ok. Maybe I care if I’m on a contender. Maybe I’d care if I were in a city I liked. You worry about all that after you’re set for a few forevers.

A rookie deal for say…the 16th pick? I’m guaranteed about 11 million minus taxes and fees. I might have 4 million and 60 years of life left with uncertain earning potential by the time in 25. My goal my whole first contract is to get a second one.

The whole first contract needs to be saved. The second is when youre comfortable for life if you have sense. The third? That’s when you worry about rings.

FKAri
07-29-2023, 01:18 PM
Relative to what?

Compared to money? Not at all. People with rings are walking around broke having to pawn them. What do I care about a ring when my kids and grandkids need college paid for?

Once I’ve locked up “**** it” wealth for enough generations I can no longer be held responsible for(3 or 4) I’d worry about my “legacy” in the eyes of fans.

Id want to win for myself but you gotta take care of your family first. Can’t put pride over your kids. If I’m 30 and have 150 million in earnings post tax like young stars can do now…ok. Maybe I care if I’m on a contender. Maybe I’d care if I were in a city I liked. You worry about all that after you’re set for a few forevers.

A rookie deal for say…the 16th pick? I’m guaranteed about 11 million minus taxes and fees. I might have 4 million and 60 years of life left with uncertain earning potential by the time in 25. My goal my whole first contract is to get a second one.

The whole first contract needs to be saved. The second is when youre comfortable for life if you have sense. The third? That’s when you worry about rings.

I think it also heavily depends on the expectation levels of player and although that's correlated with how much money they may earn it's not the only factor. A guy who's barely made it to the league is not worried nearly as much about rings as a lottery pick who is expected to be the face of the league. The former is more likely to treat it as a job. Whereas the latter's self worth and purpose in life are more tied to basketball(either personal accolades or championships).

imdaman99
07-29-2023, 08:15 PM
Even though they get paid bigtime, it means something. Especially if you haven't won before. I remember every lazy inbound or bad shot in a close loss. I still remember how Derrick Coleman jogged to inbound the ball, losing valuable seconds. I thought holy shit does this guy not realize this is the championship game???? And that was more than 30 years ago?