PDA

View Full Version : Why all the good white NBA players come from Overseas?

Hyman
07-29-2023, 10:29 AM
Who was the last good white american player? Why do they all come from Europe nowadays?

Phoenix
07-29-2023, 11:10 AM
Better question is, with Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Luka all in their primes or near it, when will an American player of any race next win MVP and/or show GOAT potential? Because I don't see any on the immediate horizon beating any of those 4 out....that group could end up winning the next 5 MVPs( as they've won the previous 5) and Wenbayama is coming( remains to be seen obviously).

Baller234
07-29-2023, 11:12 AM
Better question is, with Giannis, Embiid, Jokic, Luka all in their primes or near it, when will an American player of any race next win MVP and/or show GOAT potential?

I would say Zion IF he can stay on the court.

He's so dominant and he's still so young.

Patrick Chewing
07-29-2023, 11:38 AM
If given the chance, Jimmer Fredette would have surpassed Jordan as the GOAT.

John8204
07-29-2023, 11:42 AM
Who was the last good white american player? Why do they all come from Europe nowadays?

IF we are talking All-NBA you have to go all the way back to....June

Domantas Sabonis is from Portland Oregon

after that it's Kevin Love in 2012

90sgoat
07-29-2023, 01:37 PM
We had this already, it's because of the AAU and racism.

ArbitraryWater
07-29-2023, 01:39 PM
Im sorry,

TYLER HERRO?

Phoenix
07-29-2023, 05:13 PM

I don't think Zion has the mental makeup to dedicate himself to getting in/staying in shape. I mean he's young and those kinds of things can be worked on, but there is something innate about work ethic.

imdaman99
07-29-2023, 07:53 PM
If given the chance, Jimmer Fredette would have surpassed Jordan as the GOAT.

Based on what? :lol jimmer is best not having to cover anyone with offensive capabilities, which is why he could never make it in the NBA

tontoz
07-29-2023, 08:37 PM
In Europe guys turn pro younger and are couched hard. They don't play as many games so they spend a lot more time practicing and learning to play team ball. Wemby talked about this on the Redick podcast, about how much they practice.

Here it is all about the individual. Guys want to play like Kyrie, not Jokic.

FultzNationRISE
07-29-2023, 09:07 PM
In Europe guys turn pro younger and are couched hard. They don't play as many games so they spend a lot more time practicing and learning to play team ball. Wemby talked about this on the Redick podcast, about how much they practice.

Here it is all about the individual. Guys want to play like Kyrie, not Jokic.

Nike and ADIDAS got money to make. You cant sell billions of dollars in shoes around the world by marketing a bunch of team basketball.

They need ankle breakers and showboaters to market those shoes. Thats why the youth game here is basically just a tryout to see who can be the flashiest brand ambassador once they turn pro. The big apparel companies basically run the AAU and college circuit. Remember that scandal where schools and players’ handlers and adidas executives were all bribing each other to steer kids toward certain schools and brands?

Not too different from the music industry now either. The last thing the music industry is about is making good music. Its about finding the goofiest black dudes you can to make a spectacle of themselves to an easily entertained public, so a few white people behind them can broadcast it and get rich.

Modern culture is basically just a minstrel show bankrolled by…

Uhhh….

People. :lol

But hey if the public wasnt lapping it up there wouldnt be any money in it.

90sgoat
07-29-2023, 11:19 PM
It's all on the fans.

European fans are usually working class, even though the sport is mostly middle class, so they care about playing hard, teamwork, defense.

US fans are mostly fat soft types who follow players to see which effeminiate costume they're wearing to games or which equally fat stripper is trying to pregnancy trap them.

Baller789
07-30-2023, 02:04 AM

Zion is plagued by the American black obesity problem. Not much hope there.

Phoenix
07-30-2023, 09:37 AM
Even if Zion was healthy, something about him makes me think he wouldn't be the guy to lead a team to a title. Like he can be your best player, but he wouldn't also be the lockerroom leader( kinda like Kawhi on the Raptors, clearcut best player but you needed Lowry's presence as a troop galvaniser). That what separates your MJs, Lebrons, Kobes, Birds, Magics from the pack beyond talent/ability.

90sgoat
07-30-2023, 10:47 AM
Even if Zion was healthy, something about him makes me think he wouldn't be the guy to lead a team to a title. Like he can be your best player, but he wouldn't also be the lockerroom leader( kinda like Kawhi on the Raptors, clearcut best player but you needed Lowry's presence as a troop galvaniser). That what separates your MJs, Lebrons, Kobes, Birds, Magics from the pack beyond talent/ability.

Zion is like Shawn Kemp.

Who will be his Payton?

Phoenix
07-30-2023, 11:38 AM
Zion is like Shawn Kemp.

Who will be his Payton?

No notable PG comes to mind nowadays other than maybe Jrue.

Baller789
07-31-2023, 04:35 AM
Zion is like Shawn Kemp.

Who will be his Payton?

A fat Kemp that is.

90sgoat
07-31-2023, 12:27 PM
No notable PG comes to mind nowadays other than maybe Jrue.

Prime CP3 would have been the case.

3ba11
07-31-2023, 12:51 PM
It's our manufactured robotic format of a larger, wide-open paint (defensive 3 seconds) and hands-off/no-impede rules (no-touch basketball) - this hands-off, spaced-out format yields a robotic skillset of high-screen-roll drive-and-kick - that's the only basketball format that most American pros are world-class at..

Otoh, the overseas format allows physicality and inherently has weaker spacing, thus yielding a more pure game that requires more instinctive, ad-hoc ability and mid-range expertise.. Similar to prior eras in the NBA, the weaker spacing in the current overseas game requires players like Jokic or Luka to develop individually-unique ways to score ON defenders just like Magic, Bird or all the individually-unique players that those eras had.. The lesser spacing and higher physicality meant that teams expected to take contested shots and therefore needed more skilled players to do so.

Meanwhile, today's wide-open, no-touch format yields a bunch of expert gather-steppers but not much else.

Baller234
07-31-2023, 02:05 PM
Zion is like Shawn Kemp.

Who will be his Payton?

Zion would work very well with Trae Young I think.