PDA

View Full Version : I cannot deny he has a “bag” but some part of me just wants to hate.

Kblaze8855
07-30-2023, 06:01 PM
https://youtu.be/_yXcqxa6mjs

I can’t fully silence that part of my brain that knows it should be largely illegal. It’s irrelevant at this point and I won’t pretend otherwise. The rules are lax and you play by the rules as they’re enforced not as they’re written or you’re putting yourself at a foolish disadvantage and hurting the team.

I fully support what he does from a logical place. I just can’t quiiiite get that old man in my head to stop shaking his fist at this cloud.

I’m working on it though.

Wardell Curry
07-30-2023, 06:57 PM
It's not that it should be illegal. It is illegal.

The NBA decided long ago that entertainment was more important than the rules or the refs gave up or I don't know what but players have been progressively breaking the dribbling/carrying rules starting with what I'm guessing was the 70s and definitely the 80s and onward.

Kblaze8855
07-30-2023, 07:02 PM
You never heard me say Giannis doesn’t carry. The carry being ignored is how all these tall people can play faceup ball and change directions. It’s all illegal by the book. You can’t legit call anyone out for ball handling violations because it’s 100% of the league. I’m just trying to ignore it going forward. That’s the point.

This is at least one carry and maybe two the way they made us play….

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DescriptiveShamefulBoaconstrictor-size_restricted.gif

But it doesn’t really….matter. Complaining about it won’t change it. It’s just hard not to see it. I think I can manage to not care in time.

Kblaze8855
07-30-2023, 07:23 PM
It isn’t more illegal. Called by the actual rules the way they were called before the leagues cared about the way it appealed to spectators they would almost all end before anyone gets to the lane. It’s like building a case around inadmissible evidence. What happens after that is all thrown out. A harden illegal stepback is no more illegal than a lowered shoulder. They are both preceded by obviously illegal handles. Only people who score off spot up and rolling to the basket play largely legal offense by old standards. But old standards don’t matter and we need to stop applying them is my overall point.

FultzNationRISE
07-30-2023, 07:28 PM
Thread title had me expecting Lebron.

Son I am disappoint :crazysam:

Wardell Curry
07-30-2023, 07:32 PM
I do think we're getting really really close to the rule breaking around carrying and dribbling reaching its' endgame. Surely the league won't allow players to just start running with the ball straight up, right?

How much further can it really go before it becomes truly unacceptable? Not very much. Ja Morant is currently testing what I think is the maximum acceptable level.

Wardell Curry
07-30-2023, 07:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWYT_d3bHfw

FultzNationRISE
07-30-2023, 09:29 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWYT_d3bHfw

Yeah.

It’s a tricky thing because obviously we all enjoy seeing a bit of sizzle, I dont think most people mind if it’s part of the game, but because it’s technically a rule violation and doesnt get called its just impossible to know who is allowed to do what and how much. It’s the blatant ambiguity and inconsistency around this stuff most people are complaining about.

If you wanna build in some room for more creativity on the dribble, just adjust the rules accordingly. No problem. Thing is Im not sure anyone can come up with a way to word a rule that allows whats currently being done but prevents taking 14 steps with your hand underneath the ball.

Jasper
07-30-2023, 11:32 PM
https://youtu.be/_yXcqxa6mjs

I can’t fully silence that part of my brain that knows it should be largely illegal. It’s irrelevant at this point and I won’t pretend otherwise. The rules are lax and you play by the rules as they’re enforced not as they’re written or you’re putting yourself at a foolish disadvantage and hurting the team.

I fully support what he does from a logical place. I just can’t quiiiite get that old man in my head to stop shaking his fist at this cloud.

I see no issues with him , in fact I did not see but maybe one time he carried the ball , but that is not called anymore.
If it was Harden would be benched.

LAL
07-31-2023, 03:53 AM
Thread title had me expecting Lebron.

Son I am disappoint :crazysam:

We all know he has a bag.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAH5O2En73sL-ZBl9ZU2D0Fcdc_fA-BxxlG4fAqufRGu5va01Y1kyqhkrYH-6ysg4p8SQ&usqp=CAU

As far as skills go, we all know that bag is empty.

Jasper
07-31-2023, 06:03 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAH5O2En73sL-ZBl9ZU2D0Fcdc_fA-BxxlG4fAqufRGu5va01Y1kyqhkrYH-6ysg4p8SQ&usqp=CAU

full of roids

tontoz
07-31-2023, 06:12 PM
A carry has to be really blatant to get called. It does get called sometimes though.

elementally morale
08-01-2023, 07:29 AM
But it doesn’t really….matter. Complaining about it won’t change it. It’s just hard not to see it. I think I can manage to not care in time.

The constant travelling is even worse. Almost 100% of the NBA take a minimum of 3 steps when going for a layup or after getting the ball for a pull up jumpshot inside the arc. Some of the time it is 4 steps. The written rule is 2. I cannot get used to it having been grown up with FIBA rules. On the other hand, I'd be fine with 3 steps IF they changed the rulebook. Rules change. OK. But refs should enforce what is written. That's my problem. (Carrying is much of the same but for some reason bothers me a bit less.)

Johnny32
08-01-2023, 07:58 AM
did you silence your brain in the glorious 90s while watching lil mikey like so many others?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj5pzgfsu1M&t=29s

@LetsBuildThatApp
1 year ago
After watching a lot of Jordan highlight videos, I also finally started to question a lot of his footwork during post ups. I started to notice that a lot of defenders would jump towards him because Jordan often would leave the ground before making his first dribble/move. I never really noticed all of his travels until 20 years later though, he definitely was slick about it.

@standingthegaff
9 months ago
If you were glued to the TV in the early 90s watching the Bulls with your pop and his friends who all grew up playing ball in the 50s and 60s, they made it well known that Jordan traveled a lot and that he was getting special treatment. It was an open secret. There are no excuses except the ignorance of youth.

@jimmyconway6080
4 months ago
This is common knowledge if you grew up watching MJ. We all knew he traveled a lot but he was the cash cow for the NBA so it was rarely called.

@Lee-xn8by
1 year ago (edited)
People complained about Jordan carrying the ball, lifting his pivot foot and hooking players from 85-90, before finally giving up. He purposely used all three of those things as a weapon. The refs loosening up the rules actually made the league funner to watch in my opinion.

Kblaze8855
08-01-2023, 10:20 AM
The constant travelling is even worse. Almost 100% of the NBA take a minimum of 3 steps when going for a layup or after getting the ball for a pull up jumpshot inside the arc. Some of the time it is 4 steps. The written rule is 2. I cannot get used to it having been grown up with FIBA rules. On the other hand, I'd be fine with 3 steps IF they changed the rulebook. Rules change. OK. But refs should enforce what is written. That's my problem. (Carrying is much of the same but for some reason bothers me a bit less.)

They did change it. People did it so much they got sick of hearing about it and changed the step count from 1-2-3 to 0-1-2. The first step is a gather/zero step so pretty much all 3 step finishes are legal. Eventually they’ll probably just modify the carry rules as well.

elementally morale
08-01-2023, 10:31 AM
They did change it. People did it so much they got sick of hearing about it and changed the step count from 1-2-3 to 0-1-2. The first step is a gather/zero step so pretty much all 3 step finishes are legal. Eventually they’ll probably just modify the carry rules as well.

Thx. I didn't know that. When was the change?

Kblaze8855
08-01-2023, 10:41 AM
4 years ago. They flatly legalized traveling by letting refs not count the steps till you fully “gather” the ball.

The NBA Board of Governors has approved new language in the NBA rule book that governs traveling violations. The revision will not change the substance of the rule but will help eliminate the gap between the rule as written and how it has been applied in NBA games.The official NBA rule book will now have a section that formally defines the “gather.” The text of the rule will also be revised to provide additional clarity regarding how many steps a player may take after the gather occurs.
The changes to the rule book are below:
Definition of the Gather
The following definition of the gather will be added to the definitions section of the playing rules:
For a player who receives a pass or gains possession of a loose ball, the gather is defined as the point where the player gains enough control of the ball to hold it, change hands, pass, shoot, or cradle it against his body.
For a player who is in control of the ball while dribbling, the gather is defined as the point where a player does any one of the following:
Puts two hands on the ball, or otherwise permits the ball to come to rest, while he is in control of it;
Puts a hand under the ball and brings it to a pause; or
Otherwise gains enough control of the ball to hold it, change hands, pass, shoot, or cradle it against his body.

Incorporating the Gather into the Traveling Rule
The gather will be expressly incorporated into the traveling rule to clarify how many steps a player may take after he receives the ball while progressing or completes his dribble:
A player who gathers the ball while progressing may (a) take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball or (b) if he has not yet dribbled, one step prior to releasing the ball to start his dribble.

A player who gathers the ball while dribbling may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.

The first step occurs when a foot, or both feet, touch the floor after the player gathers the ball.

Guys just worked on moves that allowed them to “gather” it after already getting the first step or two.

And what’s ****ed is nobody but the nba has that rule but because kids learn from nba stars lower levels now accept it as valid when the rules don’t include it.

elementally morale
08-01-2023, 11:07 AM
4 years ago. They flatly legalized traveling by letting refs not count the steps till you fully “gather” the ball.

Guys just worked on moves that allowed them to “gather” it after already getting the first step or two.

And what’s ****ed is nobody but the nba has that rule but because kids learn from nba stars lower levels now accept it as valid when the rules don’t include it.

Thank you again. :cheers:

tpols
08-01-2023, 11:19 AM
Yea he's picking the ball up to head level and putting it back down down when the defender bites. And if the defender doesn't bite he gets a free jumper since he's already 80% into shooting motion.

Kblaze8855
08-01-2023, 11:36 AM
Yea he's picking the ball up to head level and putting it back down down when the defender bites. And if the defender doesn't bite he gets a free jumper since he's already 80% into shooting motion.

when players can do that, and the hand shadow carry/double dribble where they pretend to go into shooting motion by touching it with both hands briefly I don’t know what you’re supposed to do. You can’t disrespect the shot fake with shooters this good. But if you go for it they just stroll by and you’re on a highlight video.

Kblaze8855
08-01-2023, 11:39 AM
Thank you again. :cheers:

Yea they just…got rid of the problem. Too many of us old people complaining Nique got called for a travel for this:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ShamefulWhichIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif

….but that would be the most legal drive you see all night from half the leagues stars now. Old fans eyes are trained to see it differently. I got called for so many travels even playing pickup back in the day. My bum ass handles would be sufficient if I could just run 3-4 steps before taking off.

elementally morale
08-01-2023, 04:51 PM
Yea they just…got rid of the problem.

Very innovative. :oldlol:

Clifton
08-01-2023, 06:15 PM

This is me with Giannis.

NBA basketball would be a better game if it was called correctly, especially concerning carrying the ball and offensive fouls. But calling it correctly amounts to offensive players no longer having their will with the defense. And it's been going on so long that to call it as the rules are written (or, at least, as I understand them; maybe the actual NBA rulebook is different than I think) would amount to totally revolutionizing the game.

It would also guarantee Denver won the next two titles. Which is fine with me.