PDA

View Full Version : Should Boston have traded Jaylen Brown for Damian Lillard?

iamgine
08-01-2023, 02:08 PM
I personally think Lillard is not only better, but much better than Jaylen Brown. However he's got a shorter contract and is 33 years old.

Lillard for 4 seasons or Brown for 6 seasons? Which gives the better chance of a title?

Real Men Wear Green
08-01-2023, 02:26 PM
It's been well known that Lillaird doesn't want to be here. JB does and the team has had a lot of success with him so why mess up a good thing? And that's just discussing the short term. long term how many small guard have been elite scoring threats late into 30s? I can't think of any. Barring injury JB will still be in his prime at the end of his contract. And the final detail is that JB would have to cooperate with the trade to be traded. Only the Celtics could supermax him so they would be trying to convince Brown to take a contract he could get from any team to go to Portland. Why would he agree to that?

The whole situation would have been too much of a mess. For the Celtics to get Lillaird he would have to want to come here and then the deal would have to be something like White and Rob Williams which Portland wouldn't take without 8 years of first round picks added in. And that's why there weren't even credible rumors.

HylianNightmare
08-01-2023, 02:32 PM
Yes

FultzNationRISE
08-01-2023, 03:06 PM
If the trade was available, yes they should have.

For all we know the offer was made and Portland rejected it. Or maybe Boston backed off knowing Lillard’s exclusive focus on Miami.

All else being equal yes they should make that trade but theres no telling what happened behind the scenes.

Wally450
08-01-2023, 04:21 PM
No. You have an All NBA 2nd team guy along with an All NBA first team guy on your team. Continue to build around them and they'll bring you home championships.

TeflonDonTrump
08-01-2023, 04:25 PM
No. You have an All NBA 2nd team guy along with an All NBA first team guy on your team. Continue to build around them and they'll bring you home championships.

with what money?

Real Men Wear Green
08-01-2023, 04:56 PM
with what money?
https://www.statista.com/statistics/196696/revenue-of-the-boston-celtics-since-2006/#:~:text=The%20revenue%20of%20the%20Boston,to%2021 1%20million%20U.S.%20dollars.

John8204
08-01-2023, 05:39 PM
Show of hands who here thinks the Celtics are going to honor the contract and not move Brown at some point

Real Men Wear Green
08-01-2023, 06:17 PM
Show of hands who here thinks the Celtics are going to honor the contract and not move Brown at some point

A trade could always be discussed but anyone that trades for him will be paying a 15% trade kicker. He can be moved but it's not going to be simple.

Jasper
08-01-2023, 07:10 PM
I personally think Lillard is not only better, but much better than Jaylen Brown. However he's got a shorter contract and is 33 years old.

Lillard for 4 seasons or Brown for 6 seasons? Which gives the better chance of a title?

horse a piece ... Dame has about 2-3 years left on a cheaper contract / Brown has 6 + years , and could end up being a bargain in 5.

nayte
08-02-2023, 06:11 AM
A trade could always be discussed but anyone that trades for him will be paying a 15% trade kicker. He can be moved but it's not going to be simple.

You would think people have learned after the Beal debate. Anyone can be traded. In this situation tho. I would stay with Brown. Better timeline and imo Lillard is not that much better if at all

Clifton
08-02-2023, 07:50 AM
I would have done it. Perhaps that's why nobody's asking me to run their team.

I'm not necessarily saying Jaylen or Lillard is the better asset, just that Jaylen's and Tatum's skillsets are redundant and Lillard fills some big needs for them in a big way.

I think the trade would do great things for both teams. Blazers would be in the playoffs by '25 IMO.

You have an All NBA 2nd team guy along with an All NBA first team guy on your team.
But don't forget that the All-NBA 2nd team guy is Jaylen Brown.

You know, like... Jaylen Brown, All-NBA 2nd team*... you almost have to say the word 'asterisk' when you speak it...

And then at the bottom of the page it says "because the 4-5 best players at his position were all injured"...

Edit: I should be clear, though, I do think you all are going to win a title with those two. You're the best team in the East by far and as soon as the Nuggets have some bad injury luck, (or if the Suns somehow make the Finals), you're right there. I don't think you can beat the Nuggets healthy though.

jayfan
08-02-2023, 09:13 AM

A player's contract isn't dishonored when he's traded. Someone's paying it.

Real Men Wear Green
08-02-2023, 09:34 AM
I would have done it. Perhaps that's why nobody's asking me to run their team.

I'm not necessarily saying Jaylen or Lillard is the better asset, just that Jaylen's and Tatum's skillsets are redundant and Lillard fills some big needs for them in a big way.

I think the trade would do great things for both teams. Blazers would be in the playoffs by '25 IMO.

But don't forget that the All-NBA 2nd team guy is Jaylen Brown.

You know, like... Jaylen Brown, All-NBA 2nd team*... you almost have to say the word 'asterisk' when you speak it...

And then at the bottom of the page it says "because the 4-5 best players at his position were all injured"...

Edit: I should be clear, though, I do think you all are going to win a title with those two. You're the best team in the East by far and as soon as the Nuggets have some bad injury luck, (or if the Suns somehow make the Finals), you're right there. I don't think you can beat the Nuggets healthy though.

The main issue that your post doesn't address is the power the players have. Short term Lillaird may just put the Celtics over the top but he has to be willing to come here and an even bigger issue is that Brown has to want to go to Portland. Before the extension he was entering his final year. Portland would never want to deal their franchise player for a one year rental in a season where they possibly don't even make the playoffs. Brown would have to be willing to sign with them long term but the supermax is not available if he is traded so Portland can only offer the regular max. Brown can get that from any team with cap space so why would he agree to that deal for a team that he isn't attached to the community of, won't win anything and had no other attractions he couldn't get anywhere as a rich celebrity? He would give them a year and go wh8ch is why Portland would not do it.