PDA

View Full Version : D wade, dirk, tony Parker and pau hall of fame speeches

bison
08-13-2023, 05:06 AM
Go look at them at YouTube right now. Fantastic stuff.

tpols
08-13-2023, 08:46 AM
Go look at them at YouTube right now. Fantastic stuff.

I watched Wade and dirks speeches yesterday. They were indeed awesome. I didn't realize how huge of a fan of MJ Wade was. He followed him just as much as Kobe. I guess it makes sense he grew up in Chicago in the 90s.

ArbitraryWater
08-13-2023, 09:51 AM
Saw the Dirk one. Very nice. Funny ah too.

Jasper
08-13-2023, 09:57 AM
D-wade was my favorite player , probably more saw than MJ.
Connection was Marquette.
He carried heat for 3+ years with role players , and GOT HIS TEAM INTO PLAYOFFS.
I kept saying he is the last of his kind , but when will HEAT ever give him help ???
Finally Bron and Shaq, chris and company finally assisted him in his rings.

Never forget him blocking Kobe from behind.. LOVED IT.
Here is his whole speech ... one of the best !!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-DJYlt8wU

some plays :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDGCCOsVv6c

1987_Lakers
08-13-2023, 10:04 AM
That's a strong HOF class.

Baller234
08-13-2023, 10:06 AM
Parker & Ginobili are so underrated it's kind of insulting. They didn't even make the NBA 75 team.

Let's play along for the moment and assume they weren't major contributors when it came to the '03 championship, that still leaves 3 more championships where the both of them played pivotal roles. And if public consensus is that Tim Duncan won 3 championships without having any other Top 75 players on his team, then he might as well be the universal GOAT because no other player can make that claim.

These guys are MULTIPLE time champions, yet they couldn't make the cut?

1987_Lakers
08-13-2023, 10:11 AM
I don't think Parker was ever underrated. I always found him a bit one dimensional when you compared him to the other great guards, but he was often discussed by fans and media. If he played on another team I doubt he would be in the hall of fame right now.

ShawkFactory
08-13-2023, 10:17 AM
I don't think Parker was ever underrated. I always found him a bit one dimensional when you compared him to the other great guards, but he was often discussed by fans and media. If he played on another team I doubt he would be in the hall of fame right now.

I agree. If anything he was overrated.

Manu is a different story but still feel like he’s praised the appropriate amount.

Baller234
08-13-2023, 10:19 AM

You could say that about a lot of guys who made the HOF.

Regardless, he was a pivotal player on a team that won multiple championships. Russell Westbrook made the Top 75 team but if you put him on that Spurs team I don't think you get anywhere close to the same results.

If someone like Robert Parish can make the cut, I think Parker and Manu should have been shoe-ins.

Xiao Yao You
08-13-2023, 10:24 AM
Parker & Ginobili are so underrated it's kind of insulting. They didn't even make the NBA 75 team.

Let's play along for the moment and assume they weren't major contributors when it came to the '03 championship, that still leaves 3 more championships where the both of them played pivotal roles. And if public consensus is that Tim Duncan won 3 championships without having any other Top 75 players on his team, then he might as well be the universal GOAT because no other player can make that claim.

These guys are MULTIPLE time champions, yet they couldn't make the cut?

Parker isn't close. He has the rings. There were a lot of better pgs in his day. Manu is certainly one of the most underrated players ever

Xiao Yao You
08-13-2023, 10:26 AM

Regardless, he was a pivotal player on a team that won multiple championships. Russell Westbrook made the Top 75 team but if you put him on that Spurs team I don't think you get anywhere close to the same results.

If someone like Robert Parish can make the cut, I think Parker and Manu should have been shoe-ins.

I'd rather have Parker than Westbrook or Iverson but it doesn't make him top 75

Baller234
08-13-2023, 10:28 AM
Parker isn't close. He has the rings. There were a lot of better pgs in his day. Manu is certainly one of the most underrated players ever

Parker led a championship team in points and assists, in both regular season AND the playoffs.

1987_Lakers
08-13-2023, 10:28 AM

To be fair, every player who made the top 50 in 1996 made the top 75. If they did a top 75 from scratch I'm pretty sure some guys wouldn't have made the cut. Players like Maravich, Sharman, Earl Monroe, Lenny Wilkens come to mind.

1987_Lakers
08-13-2023, 10:33 AM
Parker led a championship team in points and assists, in both regular season AND the playoffs.

I'm sure you are referring to their '14 team. Come one man, dude averaged around 17 ppg & 5-6 apg, not exactly lighting the world on fire.

The '14 Spurs were alot like the '04 Pistons in a sense that they had no superstars, just a bunch of good players who knew how to play together.

ArbitraryWater
08-13-2023, 10:40 AM
D-wade was my favorite player , probably more saw than MJ.
Connection was Marquette.
He carried heat for 3+ years with role players , and GOT HIS TEAM INTO PLAYOFFS.
I kept saying he is the last of his kind , but when will HEAT ever give him help ???
Finally Bron and Shaq, chris and company finally assisted him in his rings.

Never forget him blocking Kobe from behind.. LOVED IT.
Here is his whole speech ... one of the best !!!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt-DJYlt8wU

some plays :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDGCCOsVv6c

Shaq joined him in his 2nd year and was an MVP candidate, old man.

Baller234
08-13-2023, 10:47 AM
I'm sure you are referring to their '14 team. Come one man, dude averaged around 17 ppg & 5-6 apg, not exactly lighting the world on fire.

The '14 Spurs were alot like the '04 Pistons in a sense that they had no superstars, just a bunch of good players who knew how to play together.

Knowing how to play with others is part of what makes a player great. Emphasizing winning over individual stats and accolades is also part of what makes a player great.

I'm not saying Parker belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of point guards, but the guy is a multiple time champion and he was an extremely important part of it. That has to count for something.

Xiao Yao You
08-13-2023, 10:48 AM
Knowing how to play with others is part of what makes a player great. Emphasizing winning over individual stats and accolades is also part of what makes a player great.

I'm not saying Parker belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of point guards, but the guy is a multiple time champion and he was an extremely important part of it. That has to count for something.

it does. It got him into the HOF. Hard to imagine him as an all time great if he's not drafted by the Spurs

Baller234
08-13-2023, 11:00 AM
it does. It got him into the HOF. Hard to imagine him as an all time great if he's not drafted by the Spurs

You said you would rather have Parker over Westbrook. Why?

How can you say that but insist that Westbrook is still better?

Xiao Yao You
08-13-2023, 11:13 AM
You said you would rather have Parker over Westbrook. Why?

How can you say that but insist that Westbrook is still better?

I would not want anything to do with the shitshow that is Westbrook unless he was coming off the bench for not a ton of money. Parker is a better team player. The Spurs were all about the team. With Westbrook the Spurs would have won nothing. I didn't insist that Westbrook was better. He wouldn't make my top 75 players of guys I'd want on my team. But his numbers are going to put him on the top 75 rather I think much of the guy or not

Baller234
08-13-2023, 11:18 AM
I would not want anything to do with the shitshow that is Westbrook unless he was coming off the bench for not a ton of money. Parker is a better team player. The Spurs were all about the team. With Westbrook the Spurs would have won nothing. I didn't insist that Westbrook was better. He wouldn't make my top 75 players of guys I'd want on my team. But his numbers are going to put him on the top 75 rather I think much of the guy or not

I agree with you, but this is precisely my point.

When it came to picking the Top 75, it's clear the committee valued individual stats and accolades above all else. That's cool and all, but that's NOT what constitutes a great player when it comes to a team sport.

Tony Parker is not some pantheon great, but he's clearly better than a guy like Westbrook imo. That's all I was saying. He SHOULD have made the Top 75.

rmt
08-13-2023, 11:32 AM

When it came to picking the Top 75, it's clear the committee valued individual stats and accolades above all else. That's cool and all, but that's NOT what constitutes a great player when it comes to a team sport.

Tony Parker is not some pantheon great, but he's clearly better than a guy like Westbrook imo. That's all I was saying. He SHOULD have made the Top 75.

Westbrooke won a league MVP - Parker only ever got as high as #5 in MVP voting. IMO, that's what would put him over Parker for NBA top 75. Your argument is similar to the who would you start your team with vs GOAT/better player one.

BTW, I was not a Parker fan - by far the most selfish of the Spurs' big 3. Shot 1-12 in the first 3 quarters of the last game of the 2014 Finals - you'd think you'd hold back if you're having a bad night but kept shooting. Went 6-7 in the last quarter but the game was already won by then.

Baller234
08-13-2023, 11:37 AM
Westbrooke won a league MVP - Parker only ever got as high as #5 in MVP voting. IMO, that's what would put him over Parker for NBA top 75. Your argument is similar to the who would you start your team with vs GOAT/better player one.

And? It's a media award. It's totally meaningless as it pertains to a discussion like this. You don't win MVP, you're awarded MVP. That's like saying one movie is better than another because it "won" Best Picture.

And yes, if you're saying that you would rather choose Player A over Player B for your team... then you are admitting that Player A is better.

tpols
08-13-2023, 12:06 PM
Saw the Dirk one. Very nice. Funny ah too.

The way he poked fun at Kidd and Nash was hilarious. :lol

These speeches are basically comedy roasts plus gratitude.

Xiao Yao You
08-13-2023, 12:09 PM

Too many guys that were better than him in the same era. He just has the rings.

tpols
08-13-2023, 12:10 PM

Hes one of the best paint finishing guards ever. It's not like he was being bird fed points or opportunity. He was a creator. Extremely cunning and skilled basketball player to do what he did with such a non imposing physical frame. Tony Parker finished top 10 in MVP voting and was a single miracle sequence away from being the leader on a title winning team.

tpols
08-13-2023, 12:14 PM

BTW, I was not a Parker fan - by far the most selfish of the Spurs' big 3. Shot 1-12 in the first 3 quarters of the last game of the 2014 Finals - you'd think you'd hold back if you're having a bad night but kept shooting. Went 6-7 in the last quarter but the game was already won by then.

He and Danny Green carried you guys in 2013. While Duncan was blowing title winning layups, and Manu was a fumbling bumbling wreck, Tony was the only guy on your squad that could create off the dribble against a monster Lebron and Wade perimeter opposition. You should be grateful for him.

ShawkFactory
08-13-2023, 12:28 PM
Hes one of the best paint finishing guards ever. It's not like he was being bird fed points or opportunity. He was a creator. Extremely cunning and skilled basketball player to do what he did with such a non imposing physical frame. Tony Parker finished top 10 in MVP voting and was a single miracle sequence away from being the leader on a title winning team.

Duncan was the leader.

tpols
08-13-2023, 12:37 PM
Duncan was the leader.

No he wasn't. Tony Parker finished ahead of Tim Duncan in MVP voting in 2013 and was the only guy on the whole offense that could create off the dribble with Manu shitting the bed. He was banging clutch jumpers on the Heat too and it took a 1% chance level choke for them to lose being up like they were with 30 seconds left in the season. Which wasn't parkers fault. Kawhi and I believe Manu missed free throws to seal it.

Xiao Yao You
08-13-2023, 12:38 PM
Duncan was the leader.

and Ginobli is an all time great despite the lack of accolades. Parker was a very good guard that was lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Jazz fans still talk about drafting Raul Lopez instead of him but Lopez was a better fit for the Jazz. Unfortunately his knees didn't cooperate. Would Parker have been an all time great if he'd joined a crappy Jazz team at 19? Sloan certainly wouldn't have been starting him. Probably wouldn't have played him at all. Deron had Keith McCleod and Milt Palacio playing ahead of him as a rookie

ShawkFactory
08-13-2023, 12:39 PM
No he wasn't. Tony Parker finished ahead of Tim Duncan in MVP voting in 2013 and was the only guy on the whole offense that could create off the dribble with Manu shitting the bed. He was banging clutch jumpers on the Heat too and it took a 1% chance level ch9ke for them to lose being up like they were with 30 seconds left in the season.

Duncan was first team all nba, and had Ray Allen not made that shot would have been FMVP. And he’s team Duncan. Even if you want to argue that Parker was the best player (I would disagree) he was not the leader.

Xiao Yao You
08-13-2023, 12:43 PM
Duncan was first team all nba, and had Ray Allen not made that shot would have been FMVP. And he’s team Duncan. Even if you want to argue that Parker was the best player (I would disagree) he was not the leader.

Parker was the best scorer at that time. I'd guess Duncan was still more impactful with all he brought to the table

ShawkFactory
08-13-2023, 12:48 PM
Parker was the best scorer at that time. I'd guess Duncan was still more impactful with all he brought to the table

I would confidently say that.

ArbitraryWater
08-13-2023, 12:55 PM
Parker clearly took over as the Spurs engine / takeover guy in 2013.

Id say it balanced out in 2014 again, but to say one or the other was clearly the best that year is wrong.

L.Kizzle
08-13-2023, 02:18 PM
D-Wade with one of the most boring speeches ever.

Phoenix
08-13-2023, 05:58 PM

I didn't bother seeing Parkers ( he was the least interesting of the candidates for me), but Wade's seemed the most...rehearsed I guess? Dirk, Pop and Pau's seemed more off the top of their head, at least the delivery. Still, I think boring is a bit harsh. The love he threw Iverson was a nice touch, as was the ending with his dad.

Jasper
08-13-2023, 07:17 PM

And what was he supposed to say : thanx , bye.

your apathetic - your boring as my above speech.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-13-2023, 08:48 PM
I saw Dirk, D-Wade and Pau's speeches, but Dirk's really resonated for whatever reason.

Really liked that he gave Fin and Nash shoutouts, too.

If not for injuries, those Dallas teams could've definitely ringed. Nash might not have beeen 'unleashed' like he was in Phoenix, but those years were certainly his peak. What could have been.

ShawkFactory
08-13-2023, 09:09 PM
I saw Dirk, D-Wade and Pau's speeches, but Dirk's really resonated for whatever reason.

Really liked that he gave Fin and Nash shoutouts, too.

If not for injuries, those Dallas teams could've definitely ringed. Nash might not have beeen 'unleashed' like he was in Phoenix, but those years were certainly his peak. What could have been.

You talking about 03? Potentially. The Spurs were up 2-1 before Dirk got hurt and had taken home court advantage. Series was always going to be a dogfight. People like to say that if Dirk didn't get hurt the Spurs are out but that isn't the case.

Mavs had no answer for Duncan.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-13-2023, 09:38 PM
You talking about 03? Potentially. The Spurs were up 2-1 before Dirk got hurt and had taken home court advantage. Series was always going to be a dogfight. People like to say that if Dirk didn't get hurt the Spurs are out but that isn't the case.

Mavs had no answer for Duncan.

Could have; potentially. Tomato; tomahto.

Of course its not a for sure thing. No hypothetical is lol. That Dallas team absolutely had the pieces to win a ring, though. I actually thought they were better (and DEEPER with NVE/Raef/Bell off the bench) than in 2006. But...Dirk tweaked his knee. C'est la vie.

Generally speaking? I always thought Nash staying was an interesting what if. Offensively, Nash and Dirk were 2 of the highest impact players that decade. Absolute studs on offense. That duo staying together is an obvious problem. For anyone.

ShawkFactory
08-13-2023, 09:53 PM
Could have; potentially. Tomato; tomahto.

Of course its not a for sure thing. No hypothetical is lol. That Dallas team absolutely had the pieces to win a ring, though. I actually thought they were better (and DEEPER with NVE/Raef/Bell off the bench) than in 2006. But...Dirk tweaked his knee. C'est la vie.

Generally speaking? I always thought Nash staying was an interesting what if. Offensively, Nash and Dirk were 2 of the highest impact players that decade. Absolute studs on offense. That duo staying together is an obvious problem. For anyone.

Of course. Both were far below average or bad defensively though so in a series against the opposite type of team with defenders that slows the pace down it will never be easy. The 06 Spurs were also better than in 03 which is interesting. Sometimes a series plays out weird.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-13-2023, 09:59 PM
Of course. Both were far below average or bad defensively though so in a series against the opposite type of team with defenders that slows the pace down it will never be easy. The 06 Spurs were also better than in 03 which is interesting. Sometimes a series plays out weird.

Right, and that type of offensive power also keeps a defense on their heels.

Dirk averaged like 28 a game vs them in 2006. Shot well over 50% too, I believe. With Nash he gets even better looks.

Like you said though. We'll never know how it'd play out.

rmt
08-13-2023, 11:09 PM
He and Danny Green carried you guys in 2013. While Duncan was blowing title winning layups, and Manu was a fumbling bumbling wreck, Tony was the only guy on your squad that could create off the dribble against a monster Lebron and Wade perimeter opposition. You should be grateful for him.

Duncan would easily have won his 4th FMVP if not for Ray Allen's 3. And you are discounting Duncan's defense. Parker was the one in his prime and Duncan way past his.

2013 NBA Finals
Duncan 19.8 pts 12.1 rebs 1.4 asst 1.4 blks FG% 49 age 36
Parker 15.7 pts 1.9 rebs 6.4 asst FG% 41.2 age 30
Green 14 pts 4.1 rebs 1 stl 1.6 blks FG% 44.4 age 25

https://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2013-nba-finals-spurs-vs-heat.html

L.Kizzle
08-14-2023, 12:02 AM
I didn't bother seeing Parkers ( he was the least interesting of the candidates for me), but Wade's seemed the most...rehearsed I guess? Dirk, Pop and Pau's seemed more off the top of their head, at least the delivery. Still, I think boring is a bit harsh. The love he threw Iverson was a nice touch, as was the ending with his dad.
Their speeches were entertaining, his wasn't. You'd thing Gabby would coach him to throw in a joke or 2. Was just a bland, rehearsed speech.

Phoenix
08-14-2023, 01:59 AM
Their speeches were entertaining, his wasn't. You'd thing Gabby would coach him to throw in a joke or 2. Was just a bland, rehearsed speech.

To each their own, I enjoyed it for what it was. Not much point in arguing what you or I personally find entertaining.

Axe
08-14-2023, 03:54 AM
It's always interesting to see that parker, despite being younger, got a finals mvp first over kobe.