PDA

View Full Version : What All-Time GOATS were Drafted to Bad Situations?

StrongLurk
08-14-2023, 07:07 PM
Of the top of my head, I've got MJ, Lebron, Kareem, Shaq, Bird (Celtics are a GOAT org though).

Anyone else drafted to bad situations?

I know guys like Magic, Duncan, and Kobe were drafted to GREAT situations from the beginning.

ELITEpower23
08-14-2023, 07:28 PM
I always love when people say "Duncan/Kobe are loyal bro!"

Duncan was drafted under Coach Pop and David Robinson lol Then picked up Parker, Ginobli, Kawhi along the way. Why would he leave?

Kobe was drafted under Coach PJax and got Shaq. Then picked up Horry, Odom, Gasol, along the way. Why would he leave?

I might add Dirk to the list if you are calling him All-Time like as in all-time top 25 ish? Otherwise your list is pretty good OP.

RRR3
08-14-2023, 07:36 PM
Of the top of my head, I've got MJ, Lebron, Kareem, Shaq, Bird (Celtics are a GOAT org though).

Anyone else drafted to bad situations?

I know guys like Magic, Duncan, and Kobe were drafted to GREAT situations from the beginning.
Kareem, Bird and Shaq's situation all became good very quickly into their careers. Only MJ and LeBron really had a protracted struggle and Jordan saw it pay off completely by year 7 whereas LeBron had to take matters into his own hands because the situatiomn continued to be bad. Among GOAT candidates, LeBron was easily drafted into the worst situation.

StrongLurk
08-14-2023, 07:50 PM
Kareem, Bird and Shaq's situation all became good very quickly into their careers. Only MJ and LeBron really had a protracted struggle and Jordan saw it pay off completely by year 7 whereas LeBron had to take matters into his own hands because the situatiomn continued to be bad. Among GOAT candidates, LeBron was easily drafted into the worst situation.

I know those three players ended up getting some supporting talent, but to Bird and Kareem's credit, they absolutely helped their teams have massive turnarounds as rookies. Shaq also too, but Magic ended up 41-41 his rookie year.

Also, I really don't think you can factually state that Lebron was "easily" drafted into a worse situation than MJ. I agree that Lebron and MJ had the worse two starting teams for sure.

SouBeachTalents
08-14-2023, 08:09 PM
Curry & KG

Johnny32
08-14-2023, 08:34 PM
Cleveland is referred to as the mistake by the lake. No star in their prime was signing up to play in northeast Ohio...even with the most unselfish superstar since magic on the roster. LeBron clearly went to a worse situation than the lil guy in Chicago.

Wally450
08-14-2023, 08:43 PM
KG never really had any success in his career until he went to Boston.

Outside of 2004, it was relatively rough for KG and the Wolves.

John8204
08-14-2023, 09:17 PM
Dr J...drafted by the Bucks while in conflict with the Squires and having a million dollar deal with Atlanta

Rick Barry would have been a top ten player all time if he was the territorial pick for the Knicks and not Bill Bradley.

Lebron James obviously Cleveland was never going to field a title team without serious work.

Some guys where drafted just to be box office attractions...Pete Maravich, Tiny Archibald, and Oscar Robertson

John Stockton was in a bad situation in Utah as a second string PG behind an All-Star...and they drafted a PG the year after him as well.

Xiao Yao You
08-14-2023, 09:59 PM
Dr J...drafted by the Bucks while in conflict with the Squires and having a million dollar deal with Atlanta

Rick Barry would have been a top ten player all time if he was the territorial pick for the Knicks and not Bill Bradley.

Lebron James obviously Cleveland was never going to field a title team without serious work.

Some guys where drafted just to be box office attractions...Pete Maravich, Tiny Archibald, and Oscar Robertson

John Stockton was in a bad situation in Utah as a second string PG behind an All-Star...and they drafted a PG the year after him as well.

Stockton was better than the all star from the first time I saw him. Certainly Frank Layden was a bad situation unless you were stiffs like Hansen and Eaton. They drafted Stockton's future backup in the 4th round(another stiff). Not sure why that was mentioned? Wouldn't say going straight to a playoff team is necessarily bad though

John8204
08-15-2023, 01:04 AM
Stockton was better than the all star from the first time I saw him. Certainly Frank Layden was a bad situation unless you were stiffs like Hansen and Eaton. They drafted Stockton's future backup in the 4th round(another stiff). Not sure why that was mentioned? Wouldn't say going straight to a playoff team is necessarily bad though

Stockton had to outperform an all-star PG to get a career that's a much worse situation than a superstar getting drafted and having a team built around them (Jordan, Shaq)

Overdrive
08-15-2023, 08:32 AM
I always love when people say "Duncan/Kobe are loyal bro!"

Duncan was drafted under Coach Pop and David Robinson lol Then picked up Parker, Ginobli, Kawhi along the way. Why would he leave?

Kobe was drafted under Coach PJax and got Shaq. Then picked up Horry, Odom, Gasol, along the way. Why would he leave?

I might add Dirk to the list if you are calling him All-Time like as in all-time top 25 ish? Otherwise your list is pretty good OP.

Subtle troll about Kobe. If it's not it's pretty telling.

ralph_i_el
08-15-2023, 08:56 AM
Curry

Xiao Yao You
08-15-2023, 09:01 AM
Stockton had to outperform an all-star PG to get a career that's a much worse situation than a superstar getting drafted and having a team built around them (Jordan, Shaq)

No he had to wait for a comedian to get a clue. As I said I thought he was better than Green from day 1. They wasted the first couple years of his career and ended up losing Green in the expansion draft instead of getting something for him.

mr4speed
08-15-2023, 10:46 AM
I know those three players ended up getting some supporting talent, but to Bird and Kareem's credit, they absolutely helped their teams have massive turnarounds as rookies. Shaq also too, but Magic ended up 41-41 his rookie year.

Also, I really don't think you can factually state that Lebron was "easily" drafted into a worse situation than MJ. I agree that Lebron and MJ had the worse two starting teams for sure.

Correct me if I am wrong but Magic went to a 47 win team ( a playoff team) and helped improve LA to a 60 win team as a rookie = a 13 game turn around and helped LA win the championship that year (1980)

John8204
08-15-2023, 12:04 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but Magic went to a 47 win team ( a playoff team) and helped improve LA to a 60 win team as a rookie = a 13 game turn around and helped LA win the championship that year (1980)

The team had two (maybe three because Cooper is on short lists) hall of famers

3ba11
08-15-2023, 12:10 PM
Curry & KG

I would add Lebron

even though he entered the league with an all-star teammate, the team was horrific

but this doesn't mean that he had bad PLAYOFF teams because he waited 3 years to develop his team into a favored, high seed before entering the 06' Playoffs - he wasn't forced into the playoffs as an 8 seed like rookie MJ

StrongLurk
08-15-2023, 08:49 PM

Sorry that was a typo, I wanted to say SHAQ on the MAGIC.

Full Court
08-17-2023, 09:09 PM
Cleveland is referred to as the mistake by the lake. No star in their prime was signing up to play in northeast Ohio...even with the most unselfish superstar since magic on the roster. LeBron clearly went to a worse situation than the lil guy in Chicago.

^Perpetual damage control. :lol

DaRkJaWs
08-17-2023, 10:52 PM
Wilt is a top 3 player all time and for your dumbass to put Shaq up there instead is embarrassing.

DaRkJaWs
08-17-2023, 10:53 PM
The two GOATS who were drafted to bad situations were Wilt and LeBron. Period.

1987_Lakers
08-17-2023, 10:56 PM
Wilt is a top 3 player all time

No.

I could see top 5, but don't see how anyone could rank him ahead of Russell, Kareem, MJ, & LeBron.

DaRkJaWs
08-17-2023, 11:00 PM
No.

I could see top 5, but don't see how anyone could rank him ahead of Russell, Kareem, MJ, & LeBron.

It's easy, because he was better than Russell and Kareem. Although I'm gonna be completely honest, the 4 players of Wilt, LeBron, Russell and Kareem are all so close to each other and are interchangeable. The dumb ****s who don't know that wilt is interchangeable with them are the ones who should never be talking about all time top 10 lists.