PDA

View Full Version : Steph Curry: "I'm the best point guard ever!"

Hey Yo
08-22-2023, 09:26 AM
Claimed this when talking to Gilbert Arenas

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/stephen-curry-says-hes-the-best-point-guard-ever-but-lets-put-the-debate-in-some-context/

warriorfan
08-22-2023, 09:35 AM
Big D Steph C

The Dingo

Carbine
08-22-2023, 09:59 AM
Magic is objectively better.

A better individual career. More team success.

Carbine
08-22-2023, 10:00 AM
And no worse of a basketball player.

ArbitraryWater
08-22-2023, 10:18 AM
And no worse of a basketball player.

He definitely might be.

Baller234
08-22-2023, 10:24 AM
Curry is a combo guard, not a pure point guard. He's only running point half the time.

As a point guard he's great but he's not a top tier all timer.

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 12:54 PM
The stuff in favor of Magic starts getting wishy-washy after 5 rings to 4 and being a better passer. Curry slays in pretty much every other notable achievement.

Carbine
08-22-2023, 01:03 PM
Magic has more MVPs, both regular season and finals.

That's not wishy washy

Carbine
08-22-2023, 01:04 PM
He also doubles Currys first team All NBA.

His resume is unquestionably better.

dankok8
08-22-2023, 01:26 PM
Yea I'll have Magic > Curry. And honestly Oscar has a good case even without 1st option rings just because of the unique circumstances where it was super tough to win. It's easy to make a case for Oscar as the better player relative to his era.

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 01:33 PM
Magic has more MVPs, both regular season and finals.

That's not wishy washy

He also doubles Currys first team All NBA.

His resume is unquestionably better.

The above is the kind of wishy-washiness I speak of.

Magic has more media awards? The media of the time couldn't wait to make him the face of the league with Bird's decline. Magic's MVPs were pretty weak. The 1987 MVP was mostly on the back of winning against a historically weak conference. Jordan was arguably better than Magic in both 1989 and 1990 and Barkley got more first place votes in 1990.

In contrast Curry was denied consideration for an MVP because the team he was on was deemed unfair. But really why would another MVP for him matter when he's the only one who got one unanimously? Curry was so blindingly good that year even the media couldn't screw that choice up.

Unlike at other times such as when Curry was denied an All-NBA because the media in their lack of wisdom couldn't explain the improvement of the Warriors going from 23 wins in 2012 to 47 wins 2013 aside from it being the result of David Lee.

Magic has double the First Team All-NBA that Curry does? Curry has faced and beaten almost double the number of First Team All-NBA players as Magic has in playoffs series (13 to 7). That's right Curry faced and beat the same number of First Team All-NBA in his two championship runs without KD as Magic did in his entire career. That's because Curry played in the stronger conference.

Curry is breathing down Magic's neck in terms of accolades despite starting with a vastly inferior team and playing in a much stronger conference. How? Because Curry is a better player.

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 01:36 PM
Yea I'll have Magic > Curry. And honestly Oscar has a good case even without 1st option rings just because of the unique circumstances where it was super tough to win. It's easy to make a case for Oscar as the better player relative to his era.

Not without emphasizing that his era was probably pretty weak. If the excuse is Oscar couldn't win because all the good players were on other teams it only highlights there weren't that many good players to begin with.

RRR3
08-22-2023, 01:36 PM
No it isn’t.

hold this L
08-22-2023, 01:40 PM
Magic is still better, Steph needs something else to pass him IMO.

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 01:43 PM
Magic is still better, Steph needs something else to pass him IMO.

Feel free to explain this.

Carbine
08-22-2023, 02:45 PM
The above is the kind of wishy-washiness I speak of.

Magic has more media awards? The media of the time couldn't wait to make him the face of the league with Bird's decline. Magic's MVPs were pretty weak. The 1987 MVP was mostly on the back of winning against a historically weak conference. Jordan was arguably better than Magic in both 1989 and 1990 and Barkley got more first place votes in 1990.

In contrast Curry was denied consideration for an MVP because the team he was on was deemed unfair. But really why would another MVP for him matter when he's the only one who got one unanimously? Curry was so blindingly good that year even the media couldn't screw that choice up.

Unlike at other times such as when Curry was denied an All-NBA because the media in their lack of wisdom couldn't explain the improvement of the Warriors going from 23 wins in 2012 to 47 wins 2013 aside from it being the result of David Lee.

Magic has double the First Team All-NBA that Curry does? Curry has faced and beaten almost double the number of First Team All-NBA players as Magic has in playoffs series (13 to 7). That's right Curry faced and beat the same number of First Team All-NBA in his two championship runs without KD as Magic did in his entire career. That's because Curry played in the stronger conference.

Curry is breathing down Magic's neck in terms of accolades despite starting with a vastly inferior team and playing in a much stronger conference. How? Because Curry is a better player.

Unfortunately players careers aren't ranked by how many first team all NBA players they beat.

What defines a resume is 99.9 percent based upon titles, MVPs, Finals MVPs, All NBA first teams are considered but not weighted nearly as heavily.

That's the criteria. Magic is clearly ahead.

If you want to argue about media narratives and how many first team all NBA players each player in the top 10 have beat, go for it. We're not having the same conversation.

Those could be used when everything else it identical as tie breakers. But Magic has a definite lead that those things do not matter - yet.

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 02:57 PM
Unfortunately players careers aren't ranked by how many first team all NBA players they beat.

What defines a resume is 99.9 percent based upon titles, MVPs, Finals MVPs, All NBA first teams are considered but not weighted nearly as heavily.

That's the criteria. Magic is clearly ahead.

If you want to argue about media narratives and how many first team all NBA players each player in the top 10 have beat, go for it. We're not having the same conversation.

Those could be used when everything else it identical as tie breakers. But Magic has a definite lead that those things do not matter - yet.

99.9%? But you are not including records? You're not including statistics or benchmarks?

One can rank however one wishes but your reduction to titles and media awards shows a simplistic approach. Magic couldn't win a title without another player often considered a top 5 player all-time beside him. Curry won multiple times without a teammate that made the 75th Anniversary Team.

warriorfan
08-22-2023, 03:08 PM
Tbh go off eye test and you can see Curry is better

Carbine
08-22-2023, 03:25 PM
The eye test? The eye test tells me nobody ever has been a better offensive player than Magic. His ability to either score for himself or create uncontested shots for teammates is as good a combination as anyone.

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 03:31 PM
The eye test? The eye test tells me nobody ever has been a better offensive player than Magic. His ability to either score for himself or create uncontested shots for teammates is as good a combination as anyone.

The greatest offensive player without a scoring title I guess. It also helps that in a year like 1984 all the teams in the Western Conference except for the Lakers had a worse defensive rating than every team in the Eastern Conference.

RRR3
08-22-2023, 03:32 PM
99.9%? But you are not including records? You're not including statistics or benchmarks?

One can rank however one wishes but your reduction to titles and media awards shows a simplistic approach. Magic couldn't win a title without another player often considered a top 5 player all-time beside him. Curry won multiple times without a teammate that made the 75th Anniversary Team.
So did Kobe I guess he’s better than Magic by your logic.

Curry has a case over magic but your arguments are poor.

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 03:35 PM
So did Kobe I guess he’s better than Magic by your logic.

Curry has a case over magic but your arguments are poor.

Curry also won multiple championships with players who never won a title or even made a finals previously without him.

I think Kobe has a good case of being better than Magic. Kobe at least showed that could lead a team that was in the dumps to a championship. That's more than Magic ever did.

L.Kizzle
08-22-2023, 03:37 PM
Curry is a combo guard, not a pure point guard. He's only running point half the time.

As a point guard he's great but he's not a top tier all timer.
Point guard is a position, not a style.
Magic played shooting guard his first five seasons. Norm Nixon was the PG. Steph has only played PG.

RRR3
08-22-2023, 03:42 PM
Curry also won multiple championships with players who never won a title or even made a finals previously without him.

I think Kobe has a good case of being better than Magic. Kobe at least showed that could lead a team that was in the dumps to a championship. That's more than Magic ever did.
:facepalm

tpols
08-22-2023, 03:50 PM
Curry or Magic is a toss up but I don't see Magic leading 70+ win champions with 17 ppg Klay Thompson or Dray who would be an awful fit next to Magic since he'd have no playmaking passing role like he has with Curry.

Magic came onto a team with prime Kareem and then added James Worthy later and more All Stars. That would be like Curry playing with KD and his original crew from the start. Which was GOAT team level.

Long story short Curry was capable of doing more with less.

dankok8
08-22-2023, 03:53 PM
No it isn’t.

Oscar averaged 30/10/10 on +8 rTS for five straight years and led the #1 offenses in the league every one of those seasons. He even won an MVP over Russell and Wilt in their primes. Yes he has a case over Curry.

tpols
08-22-2023, 03:55 PM
Oscar averaged 30/10/10 on +8 rTS for five straight years and led the #1 offenses in the league every one of those seasons. He even won an MVP over Russell and Wilt in their primes. Yes he has a case over Curry.

You may as well argue Westbrook was better than Curry since he's won MVP over him and then lost in the 1st round.

Winning means more than media accolades.

Carbine
08-22-2023, 04:04 PM
Curry or Magic is a toss up but I don't see Magic leading 70+ win champions with 17 ppg Klay Thompson or Dray who would be an awful fit next to Magic since he'd have no playmaking passing role like he has with Curry.

Magic came onto a team with prime Kareem and then added James Worthy later and more All Stars. That would be like Curry playing with KD and his original crew from the start. Which was GOAT team level.

Long story short Curry was capable of doing more with less.

Warriors never won 70+ games as champions.

Second of all of you've ever played basketball at a somewhat high level, passing is one of those skillsets that's always going to show up. Jokic and Magic wouldn't collide with each other due to passing, it would just be beautiful basketball.

Carbine
08-22-2023, 04:06 PM
Also this whole narrative of Magic didn't win without Kareem is just a biased take towards whoever you're arguing for against Magic.

He played like two seasons without him and made the finals and lost to the GOAT player and the start of a three peat team. No shame in that.

hold this L
08-22-2023, 04:15 PM

Oscar has no case at all but once again, you have horrible horrible points. Do you even watch basketball, or football for that matter?

hold this L
08-22-2023, 04:17 PM
Feel free to explain this.
It's a toss up but Magic has an extra MVP and championship. Granted it is also with KAJ which makes it significantly easier to be a winner, but I think Steph needs maybe an extra MVP or another chip to pass Irving. I have him 7th in the GOAT list right now, while Magic is 4th. Both gave a ton to the game and I'm not mad at people thinking Steph is #1, but for me he needs a bit more silverware to end his career to pass him.

Axe
08-22-2023, 04:22 PM
If only he led the 73-win team to a championship, there would have been an actual case for him being the best pg ever. Too bad he didn't.

dankok8
08-22-2023, 04:32 PM
You may as well argue Westbrook was better than Curry since he's won MVP over him and then lost in the 1st round.

Winning means more than media accolades.

Yea but no matter how good Oscar was he wasn't beating Russell's Celtics. The context matters.

Oscar is way way better than Westbrook. Oscar was a hyperefficient basketball savant who methodically destroyed opponents.

Westbrook runs around like a headless chicken.

Kblaze8855
08-22-2023, 04:41 PM
There’s nothing wrong with him saying that. I imagine everyone in consideration for every position number one spot thinks they should have it. They just won’t all say so. And he went out of his way to say its he and magic. Being very very familiar with both Magic is my pick but it’s not a big enough difference to have a huge fight if somebody goes the other way. They’re so different in their approach you really might as well be talking about two different positions. To be clear I do count them both as point guards but they play so differently and both accomplished so much it’s hard to make it a résumé question as much as it’s your preference for how you want a team to play.

That said magic does factually have a better résumé. It’s hard not to when you have more championships more MVPs, and more all NBA teams. That isn’t the same thing as basketball but it’s all a part of that abstract greatness people talk about.

I see magic as more of a no matter the situation you put him in dominant player. It could be 1975 with no three-point line and completely different rules or it could be next year. He would step on the floor and immediately destroy people. he might actually be better now except for the five second back to the basket rule that will make him adjust his post game a little. But you put four shooters on the floor around magic? It’s hard to express to people who didn’t see how he played day to day how ridiculous he would be picking teams apart.

A lot of people seem to feel like he would be a no defense, flashy Ben Simmons, when he might actually look more like the midpoint between Giannis and Steve Nash. There is no appropriate comparison. LeBron doesn’t play like magic did. Magic could score in the post the way people wish LeBron would instead of settling, but he could also shoot 90% from the line.

Hed be a combo of bruising scoring like Giannis(without the hops obviously), but the touch around the basket of a star euro big, but totally impossible to double because he’d hand out 10-12 assists mostly to shooters these days.

I don’t know if he would be a Point Center or what, but you throw him out there he’s going coast-to-coast. He is scoring on virtually the entire NBA one on one. He is leading the NBA in assists and he is drawing as many fouls as he wants and making the free throws and he’s making his teammates love the game and play harder. He’s the rare combo of ridiculous ability and infectious play style.

He and Steph share that last part.

He will compete to be the best player in the league in the traditional role of four positions so there’s no lineup he doesn’t work in.

i’ve never seen a better point guard than magic, and I suspect I never will but Steph does things in his own way in effective enough a manner that I don’t see the comparison as an insult as I do with almost everyone else. As I said in the first place, he’s close enough that I both understand and support him saying he’s the best. People don’t get that good without the confidence to think that.

nobody as good as Curry thinks somebody else was better at what they do. Maybe Tim Duncan. Maybe. I’m not sure he would say he is the greatest four of all time but I’m pretty sure he would think it. Humility begins a notch below the level these guys are on.

tpols
08-22-2023, 04:43 PM
Warriors never won 70+ games as champions.

They averaged 70 wins per season before Durant ~ (67 + 73) / 2 = 70, won a championship and were an unfortunate rigged suspension away from winning another in 5 games.

Second of all of you've ever played basketball at a somewhat high level, passing is one of those skillsets that's always going to show up. Jokic and Magic wouldn't collide with each other due to passing, it would just be beautiful basketball.

If you're attempting to compare jokic and drays offensive games and fits to each other you're already off your rocker. Jokic can shoot and create on his own.

Magic and Dray is a clunky fit. Dray can't be handing it off to magic for off ball jumpers how he does with Golden States backcourt. Magic didn't have any long range and he wasn't an off ball player.

And this isn't to take away from Magic because he has some things Curry doesn't have. Size, post up ability, rebounding, passing etc.

Axe
08-22-2023, 04:46 PM
You guys kept on telling before that it's the postseason that really matters, not the rs. Now you keep on bringing up whatever happened during the latter. How inconsistent. :oldlol:

Kblaze8855
08-22-2023, 05:00 PM
Magic and Dray is a clunky fit. Dray can't be handing it off to magic for off ball jumpers how he does with Golden States backcourt. Magic didn't have any long range and he wasn't an off ball player.

Kevin Durant on the 2017 Warriors

.375 on 5 3 point attempts a game

Magics last mvp season

.384 on 3.5 3 pointers.

And Magic shot better from the ft line. Magics 89 season ft shooting in this year would be right behind Steph and Dame and just ahead of Kyrie.

Magic had a shooting touch when he chose to show it. Drop them into today’s league where nobody even cares about shot selection? I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned into an excellent spot up shooter. But that’s one of those things we just can’t consider unfortunately. For most of his career if you kick it to him at 25 feet he’s not even gonna think about it. You will see him throw up heaves and bullshit long range hook shots at the buzzer but there’s no evidence of him in an offense looking to get him those shots.

Shame really.

that said you also obviously can’t guard Steph the way teams in the 80s played defense. Until someone made a massive adjustment he’d probably score 38 points a game raining on people who won’t step out. We can’t really play the era switching game fairly for either of them.

Carbine
08-22-2023, 05:19 PM
So you're telling me a team built around a player wins more games than someone you just insert in its place with different play styles?

Wow.

tpols
08-22-2023, 05:28 PM
So you're telling me a team built around a player wins more games than someone you just insert in its place with different play styles?

Wow.

You were the one that said "passing is one of those skillsets that will always show up".

And then attempted to compare dray and jokic in that regard.

That's an embarrassing take.

Carbine
08-22-2023, 05:31 PM
That wasn't my take whatsoever. My take was literally what it said. Being a playmaker with your passing doesn't step on anyone's toes in the concept of a team. It's not like having three ball dominant players together.

Passing is contagious. Great passers elevate each other.

ILLsmak
08-22-2023, 05:35 PM
He's really not, but you can't argue with his resume. Haha, sucks how that works. It's like Bron now that he's got scoring record.

He knows he's not tho. DEEP DOWN BRA U KNO IT.

-Smak

mr4speed
08-22-2023, 05:41 PM

When media awards are listed I think it is important to look at those awards and apply context. Magic received the 1980 FMVP only after Kareem had won the award after Magic's great game 6 but because Kareem was not present, the voters were asked to change their votes so Magic would win the award. Barkley in 1990 was better than Magic in every measurable metric except assists per game and FT %. Jordan has a legitimate argument for MVP in 88 and 87 but because Jordan was young and his Bulls were not as good as the Lakers, his chances were "postponed" for some of the voters. To illustrate this point, Jan Hubbard authored an article in the sporting news on December 22, 1986 titled "Will NBA MVP ever be Magic?" The article ended with this sentence = "Now is the time for the campaign to begin". Magic is an all time great but did he change the game the way Curry has? Magic changed the idea that a player 6-9 could not play point guard - the fastbreak was present long before Magic was in the NBA. Magic never drew the attention from the defense the way Curry has, especially without the ball. I think we have to let Curry finish his career and with that being said Curry is most definitely in this conversation.

mr4speed
08-22-2023, 05:50 PM
Kevin Durant on the 2017 Warriors

.375 on 5 3 point attempts a game

Magics last mvp season

.384 on 3.5 3 pointers.

And Magic shot better from the ft line. Magics 89 season ft shooting in this year would be right behind Steph and Dame and just ahead of Kyrie.

Magic had a shooting touch when he chose to show it. Drop them into today’s league where nobody even cares about shot selection? I wouldn’t be surprised if he turned into an excellent spot up shooter. But that’s one of those things we just can’t consider unfortunately. For most of his career if you kick it to him at 25 feet he’s not even gonna think about it. You will see him throw up heaves and bullshit long range hook shots at the buzzer but there’s no evidence of him in an offense looking to get him those shots.

Shame really.

that said you also obviously can’t guard Steph the way teams in the 80s played defense. Until someone made a massive adjustment he’d probably score 38 points a game raining on people who won’t step out. We can’t really play the era switching game fairly for either of them.

Magic during his career became better and better each year as a shooter, but it took years for Magic to develop his 3 point shot. I realize the 3 was new when Magic was a rookie but for his first 6 seasons total Magic shot 29 of 164 shots during those 6 years which = 17.68%.

Phoenix
08-22-2023, 05:52 PM
Even if he isn't, his career to date has been good enough to where it should result in a hmmmm and not a GTFOH for making such a claim.

tpols
08-22-2023, 05:55 PM
That wasn't my take whatsoever. My take was literally what it said. Being a playmaker with your passing doesn't step on anyone's toes in the concept of a team. It's not like having three ball dominant players together.

Passing is contagious. Great passers elevate each other.

The point is dray isn't a great passer outside the warriors system. His passing doesn't work with ball dominant backcourts... at all. You're the one that never played basketball at a decent level if you can't comprehend fit and chemistry between different styles.

Baller234
08-22-2023, 06:26 PM
Point guard is a position, not a style.
Magic played shooting guard his first five seasons. Norm Nixon was the PG. Steph has only played PG.

Are you sure?

Maybe you would have a point if this were football or baseball. The rules of the game dictate that a quarterback can't choose to play like a receiver and a catcher can't choose to play like an outfielder.

Not the same in basketball. Everyone on the basketball court has the same freedom of movement and the same freedom to shoot or pass. Your "position" is really only defined by your approach to the game.

Curry might be technically listed as a point guard, but being a point guard actually requires running the point and playing quarterback. That's not Curry's role on the team. Half the time he's playing off the ball. He doesn't even lead his team in assists.

We can argue about who's the better player, but nobody ran the point better than Magic.

warriorfan
08-22-2023, 06:48 PM
Are you sure?

Maybe you would have a point if this were football or baseball. The rules of the game dictate that a quarterback can't choose to play like a receiver and a catcher can't choose to play like an outfielder.

Not the same in basketball. Everyone on the basketball court has the same freedom of movement and the same freedom to shoot or pass. Your "position" is really only defined by your approach to the game.

Curry might be technically listed as a point guard, but being a point guard actually requires running the point and playing quarterback. That's not Curry's role on the team. Half the time he's playing off the ball. He doesn't even lead his team in assists.

We can argue about who's the better player, but nobody ran the point better than Magic.

he doesn’t lead the team in assists but he has lead the league in hockey assists multiple times. steph creates action and gets the ball out to someone else who can make an easy pass. it all starts with steph, he runs the offense and handles the ball the most even though he’s a great off ball player as well.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-22-2023, 07:08 PM
There’s nothing wrong with him saying that. I imagine everyone in consideration for every position number one spot thinks they should have it. They just won’t all say so. And he went out of his way to say its he and magic. Being very very familiar with both Magic is my pick but it’s not a big enough difference to have a huge fight if somebody goes the other way. They’re so different in their approach you really might as well be talking about two different positions. To be clear I do count them both as point guards but they play so differently and both accomplished so much it’s hard to make it a résumé question as much as it’s your preference for how you want a team to play.

That said magic does factually have a better résumé. It’s hard not to when you have more championships more MVPs, and more all NBA teams. That isn’t the same thing as basketball but it’s all a part of that abstract greatness people talk about.

I see magic as more of a no matter the situation you put him in dominant player. It could be 1975 with no three-point line and completely different rules or it could be next year. He would step on the floor and immediately destroy people. he might actually be better now except for the five second back to the basket rule that will make him adjust his post game a little. But you put four shooters on the floor around magic? It’s hard to express to people who didn’t see how he played day to day how ridiculous he would be picking teams apart.

A lot of people seem to feel like he would be a no defense, flashy Ben Simmons, when he might actually look more like the midpoint between Giannis and Steve Nash. There is no appropriate comparison. LeBron doesn’t play like magic did. Magic could score in the post the way people wish LeBron would instead of settling, but he could also shoot 90% from the line.

Hed be a combo of bruising scoring like Giannis(without the hops obviously), but the touch around the basket of a star euro big, but totally impossible to double because he’d hand out 10-12 assists mostly to shooters these days.

I don’t know if he would be a Point Center or what, but you throw him out there he’s going coast-to-coast. He is scoring on virtually the entire NBA one on one. He is leading the NBA in assists and he is drawing as many fouls as he wants and making the free throws and he’s making his teammates love the game and play harder. He’s the rare combo of ridiculous ability and infectious play style.

He and Steph share that last part.

He will compete to be the best player in the league in the traditional role of four positions so there’s no lineup he doesn’t work in.

i’ve never seen a better point guard than magic, and I suspect I never will but Steph does things in his own way in effective enough a manner that I don’t see the comparison as an insult as I do with almost everyone else. As I said in the first place, he’s close enough that I both understand and support him saying he’s the best. People don’t get that good without the confidence to think that.

nobody as good as Curry thinks somebody else was better at what they do. Maybe Tim Duncan. Maybe. I’m not sure he would say he is the greatest four of all time but I’m pretty sure he would think it. Humility begins a notch below the level these guys are on.

More or less

Still think Magic has the 'greater' argument in his favor. Curry's peak and prime though are in that same TIER of impact. Different players bringing various skills and intangibles to the table. Both arent your prototypical point-guard either. With Magic it was his build and with Steph its his volume scoring, or shooting. Whichever.

L.Kizzle
08-22-2023, 07:10 PM
Are you sure?

I'm positive it's a position and not a style of play.
You just described a style of point guard. Eric Snow played different from Kenny Smith. Oscar Robertson played a different style of PG compared to Bob Cousy.

I could go down the line with other positions. Is Joker a center. He played nothing like Wes Unseld, who's also a center.

Andre Roberson is a shooting guard who can't shoot.

tpols
08-22-2023, 07:31 PM
Are you sure?

Yup.

Curry averaged 9 dimes a game under Mark Jackson when he was playing traditional "point guard".

Under Kerr it was recognized the team could achieve a higher ceiling if he relinquished some of his on ball duties to other lesser players and compliment their passing with GOAT off ball movement and off ball shooting.

And it worked to an extreme degree.

Magics on ball style also worked to an extreme degree too because he's the best on ball teammate enhancer ever, unbelievable IQ, charisma, and leadership.

It's an off vs on ball style.

Baller234
08-22-2023, 08:09 PM
I'm positive it's a position and not a style of play.
You just described a style of point guard. Eric Snow played different from Kenny Smith. Oscar Robertson played a different style of PG compared to Bob Cousy.

I could go down the line with other positions. Is Joker a center. He played nothing like Wes Unseld, who's also a center.

Andre Roberson is a shooting guard who can't shoot.

Precisely my point, which is positions in basketball are mostly bullshit. They're a carryover from a bygone era long before the NBA even existed.

In the beginning there were were just forwards, guards and centers. The forwards were on offense in the front court and the guards were on defense in the back court. This hasn't been the case in 100 years yet even today we still refer to guards as "back court" and forwards as "front court". None of it really makes sense.

In today's game, positions have never been more meaningless. Long gone are the days of individual specialists. Now it's all about depth. The ball is constantly moving and every player becomes just a cog in the machine. Jokic in the traditional sense is hopping back and forth between point guard and center duties, so I suppose that would make him a point center.

warriorfan
08-22-2023, 08:45 PM
Precisely my point, which is positions in basketball are mostly bullshit. They're a carryover from a bygone era long before the NBA even existed.

In the beginning there were were just forwards, guards and centers. The forwards were on offense in the front court and the guards were on defense in the back court. This hasn't been the case in 100 years yet even today we still refer to guards as "back court" and forwards as "front court". None of it really makes sense.

In today's game, positions have never been more meaningless. Long gone are the days of individual specialists. Now it's all about depth. The ball is constantly moving and every player becomes just a cog in the machine. Jokic in the traditional sense is hopping back and forth between point guard and center duties, so I suppose that would make him a point center.

point forward isn’t a real position, it’s just a term used to describe a certain type of player, like the terms a stretch 4 or a 3 and D player. If a “point forward” is playing with two guards he’s not the point guard. he’s playing forward while handling the ball primarily. When Jokic plays he doesn’t play with another Center. He plays with two forwards and two guards. Jokic is a center who handles and distributes a lot, but he’s not the point guard.

Baller234
08-22-2023, 09:14 PM
point forward isn’t a real position, it’s just a term used to describe a certain type of player, like the terms a stretch 4 or a 3 and D player. If a “point forward” is playing with two guards he’s not the point guard. he’s playing forward while handling the ball primarily. When Jokic plays he doesn’t play with another Center. He plays with two forwards and two guards. Jokic is a center who handles and distributes a lot, but he’s not the point guard.

There are no "real" positions. Every player on the court has the same freedom of movement and the same freedom to shoot or pass.

What is even the difference between a forward and a guard? We apply these labels but in reality they mean nothing, especially in today's game.

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 09:22 PM
Also this whole narrative of Magic didn't win without Kareem is just a biased take towards whoever you're arguing for against Magic.

He played like two seasons without him and made the finals and lost to the GOAT player and the start of a three peat team. No shame in that.

He also lost in the second round 1-4 to the Phoenix Suns led by Kevin Johnson.

Making the finals is great. But we never saw Magic win coming from a position of adversity the way most other all-time greats have. For all his accomplishments Magic never demonstrated he could pass one of the most important tests one might expect of a great player.

Instead he was given an easy conference with an easy team to win with and was the darling of a media that wanted to throw accolades his way.

L.Kizzle
08-22-2023, 09:26 PM

Making the finals is great. But we never saw Magic win coming from a position of adversity the way most other all-time greats have. For all his accomplishments Magic never demonstrated he could pass one of the most important tests one might expect of a great player.
Didn't he do that as a rookie vs Dr J when Kareem was out?

Stephonit
08-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Didn't he do that as a rookie vs Dr J when Kareem was out?

For one game. Jimmy Butler took two games off AD and LeBron playing together with a rookie Tyler Herro as his Robin. I'm talking about a season or more of crap.

Carbine
08-22-2023, 11:38 PM

Instead he was given an easy conference with an easy team to win with and was the darling of a media that wanted to throw accolades his way.

And Steph missed the playoffs at his peak. I don't think you want to start listing off Magics shortcomings, Currys has been well documented himself.

Magics 30 points and 12 assists per game on 62 TS% in that series lose takes little blame. What more could you realistically ask from the man? It's not his fault James Worthy has the worst offensive and defensive series of his career with a sizzling 97 otrg, 45 TS% and awful defense (worst drtg on team)

Stephonit
08-23-2023, 12:12 AM
And Steph missed the playoffs at his peak. I don't think you want to start listing off Magics shortcomings, Currys has been well documented himself.

Magics 30 points and 12 assists per game on 62 TS% in that series lose takes little blame. What more could you realistically ask from the man? It's not his fault James Worthy has the worst offensive and defensive series of his career with a sizzling 97 otrg, 45 TS% and awful defense (worst drtg on team)

Steph missed the playoffs only due to a rule change and playing with what was the worst team in the league the year before without him. Curry would have made the playoffs any year under the rules in force under Magic's time. Magic on the other hand never had to work with a 30-win team much less a sub-20-win team.

It's a toss up but Magic has an extra MVP and championship. Granted it is also with KAJ which makes it significantly easier to be a winner, but I think Steph needs maybe an extra MVP or another chip to pass Irving. I have him 7th in the GOAT list right now, while Magic is 4th. Both gave a ton to the game and I'm not mad at people thinking Steph is #1, but for me he needs a bit more silverware to end his career to pass him.

You really give Magic a whole lot of credit for playing with a loaded team from the beginning and in a much weaker conference while getting weak MVPs. There seems to be this idea with you and others that Steph needs to show more. To that I say: Like what? Another MVP shows what exactly when Steph has had them back-to-back with one being the only one that was unanimous? Another title shows what when Curry has led a franchise from rebuilding mode twice and the two others he won with another great player is considered an even stronger team than Magic's Showtime Lakers? The truth is Steph has shown he can do things Magic cannot and that it is really Magic's achievements that are lacking in comparison.

Gotterdammerung
08-23-2023, 01:21 AM
Even if we ignore the fact that Curry is not his team's primary ballhandler and and playmaker on his teams, the two attributes every great point guard has been, he is still not better than Magic Johnson or Oscar Robertson or Jerry West. The latter two were big time scorers like Curry but they were also the primary ballhandler & playmaker on their teams & they were superior rebounders & defenders than Curry.

As for Magic, teams hunted Curry on defense while Magic was 6' 9" all-around talent that could effectively even all-time great players like Doctor J (1982 finals) at least for stretches.

Magic is not only the greater point guard, he's also the greater player: Magic's size enabled him to rebound, defend, and be a post up threat much better than Curry. In short, Magic was better than Curry at everything but shooting - he passed better, rebounded better, defended better and handled the ball much better.

More than almost any other all-time great, you could team up Magic with four decent guys and turn that team into a legit playoff contender. Magic never left any titles on the table - he only lost to all-time great players in their primes.

Curry? Other than back to back MVPs, he has not consistently played at MVP level throughout his career. He finished in top 5 in MVP voting only two other times, and won only one Finals MVPs during the GSW's four title seasons. Just three All-NBA first team selections.

Magic finished in the top 3 in MVP voting for 9 straight years, and made All-NBA first team in each 9 of those seasons.

:kobe:

Stephonit
08-23-2023, 02:27 AM
Even if we ignore the fact that Curry is not his team's primary ballhandler and and playmaker on his teams, the two attributes every great point guard has been, he is still not better than Magic Johnson or Oscar Robertson or Jerry West. The latter two were big time scorers like Curry but they were also the primary ballhandler & playmaker on their teams & they were superior rebounders & defenders than Curry.

As for Magic, teams hunted Curry on defense while Magic was 6' 9" all-around talent that could effectively even all-time great players like Doctor J (1982 finals) at least for stretches.

Magic is not only the greater point guard, he's also the greater player: Magic's size enabled him to rebound, defend, and be a post up threat much better than Curry. In short, Magic was better than Curry at everything but shooting - he passed better, rebounded better, defended better and handled the ball much better.

More than almost any other all-time great, you could team up Magic with four decent guys and turn that team into a legit playoff contender. Magic never left any titles on the table - he only lost to all-time great players in their primes.

Curry? Other than back to back MVPs, he has not consistently played at MVP level throughout his career. He finished in top 5 in MVP voting only two other times, and won only one Finals MVPs during the GSW's four title seasons. Just three All-NBA first team selections.

Magic finished in the top 3 in MVP voting for 9 straight years, and made All-NBA first team in each 9 of those seasons.

Lots of theory not much in terms of practice. Magic led a team with the best defensive rating in the league a grand total of zero times with as few as 22 teams in the league. Same with Jerry West: he was such a defensive force that he's been on zero teams that had the best defensive rating in a season in a league that had as few as 8 teams. Oscar could only claim being on elite defensive teams once he was no longer the best player on the team. Curry is the only one of the lot who can actually claim to have led a team with the best defensive rating in the league as the best player on it.

Magic handled the ball much better than Curry only in your imagination. Maybe you are mixed up because Curry without the ball is so much better than Magic too.

You know how silly using not being a top MVP vote getter against Curry is to suggest he didn't play at an MVP level? Curry didn't finish top 5 in MVP votes in a year he led his team to 67 wins and went on a 13-0 tear at the end of the season defeating the top 3 MVP vote getters on their home courts. While other lesser players get MVP votes given to them Curry has had media coming up with reasons to avoid him being a candidate.

How many times did Magic beat a current MVP? Once? Curry did it twice. Curry also beat the guy with the second most votes behind him. Then there was the time he beat the prior and following MVPs playing against him at the same time in a playoffs series. As mentioned earlier First Team All-NBA have lost more against Curry too. When it comes to playing at an MVP level Magic doesn't match Curry.

warriorfan
08-23-2023, 02:29 AM

who do you think the primary ball handler for the warriors is?

:lol

Session
08-23-2023, 03:56 AM
Stephen Curry is a shooting guard disguised as a point guard :kobe:

He neither organizes the game nor makes his teammates play.

Even Draymond Green is a better point guard than him.

The only thing that is based on it is the height. As a guard, he has his prodigious wrist and his outside shot, if he had said that he is the best shooter in history, no one could deny it.

Chris Paul, as an organizing point guard, is light years from Stephen Curry...

Too many people who have started watching basketball with the smallball...

I recommend watching the Euroleague to find out what a point guard, shooting guard, forward, power forward and center are.

John8204
08-23-2023, 07:38 AM
Oscar has no case at all but once again, you have horrible horrible points. Do you even watch basketball, or football for that matter?

Points 26,710 (25.7 ppg)
Rebounds 7,804 (7.5 rpg)
Assists 9,887 (9.5 apg)

Points 21,712 (24.6 ppg)
Rebounds 4,179 (4.7 rpg)
Assists 5,740 (6.5 apg)

Oscar is far more well rounded than Curry

hold this L
08-23-2023, 09:29 AM
Points 26,710 (25.7 ppg)
Rebounds 7,804 (7.5 rpg)
Assists 9,887 (9.5 apg)

Points 21,712 (24.6 ppg)
Rebounds 4,179 (4.7 rpg)
Assists 5,740 (6.5 apg)

Oscar is far more well rounded than Curry
By your dumbass metric, time to put Westbrick up there as the best point guard of all time right?

tpols
08-23-2023, 09:45 AM
By your dumbass metric, time to put Westbrick up there as the best point guard of all time right?

The Oscar comparisons make me chuckle. :lol

People still don't understand the value in team basketball where everyone is involved... it catapults the ceiling of the team.

Even if Oscar was smarter than Westbrook, hogging the rock and accumulating all the stats for yourself is losing basketball. Wilt did the same thing when he was young and he always lost. And who always won? The guy who never hogged the ball and did everything else. Bill Russell.

warriorfan
08-23-2023, 09:51 AM

People still don't understand the value in team basketball where everyone is involved... it catapults the ceiling of the team.

Even if Oscar was smarter than Westbrook, hogging the rock and accumulating all the stats for yourself is losing basketball. Wilt did the same thing when he was young and he always lost. And who always won? The guy who never hogged the ball and did everything else. Bill Russell.

These guys are using basic counting stats to determine everything. I’m surprised they don’t have John Stockton as their goat. According to them assists = if someone is a point guard and how good they are at point guard….stockton has the most, he should be their goat lol

But yeah i’m gonna start putting the “steph curry isn’t a point guard because of the number of assists he gets” people on ignore. I don’t got time for that low iq shit and i’m not going to teach them anything. they can go read a book or something and gets clue but i’m over spelling simple shit out for them

tpols
08-23-2023, 09:56 AM
These guys are using basic counting stats to determine everything. I’m surprised they don’t have John Stockton as their goat. According to them assists = if someone is a point guard and how good they are at point guard….stockton has the most, he should be their goat lol

But yeah i’m gonna start putting the “steph curry isn’t a point guard because of the number of assists he gets” people on ignore. I don’t got time for that low iq shit and i’m not going to teach them anything. they can go read a book or something and gets clue but i’m over spelling simple shit out for them

Yup. As pointed out before curry has averaged 9 dimes in a season... and the team was worse for it. When he cut it down to 6 dimes a game and played a higher share of time off ball it unlocked a GOAT level ball movement offense instead of having one dude just dribble dribble dribble and throw a one off pass all game long padding individual stats.

Stephonit
08-23-2023, 10:02 AM
Was Magic ever top 3 in the league in scoring? Anyone know?

John8204
08-23-2023, 10:03 AM

https://images.summitmedia-digital.com/sap/images/2018/04/24/spin-rexona-infographic.jpg

Oscar not only had better stats (without the 3 point shot) but he was also 30lbs heavier playing in a tougher era. Would Curry have even been good enough to start in the 60's.

warriorfan
08-23-2023, 10:13 AM
https://images.summitmedia-digital.com/sap/images/2018/04/24/spin-rexona-infographic.jpg

Oscar not only had better stats (without the 3 point shot) but he was also 30lbs heavier playing in a tougher era. Would Curry have even been good enough to start in the 60's.

tbh I don’t really do a lot of cross era comparisons anymore. there’s just too many variables to do it accurately and fairly.

but the big slow didn’t really win anything until late in his career when he played with Kareem Abdul Jabbar. and he won taking a back seat posting 18/5/9 on 53% TS….far from his triple double stat lines he’s so famous for.

stat padding version of big o didn’t win until he took a big time backseat to one of the top 3 players of all time

Wally450
08-23-2023, 10:33 AM
I have no problem with him saying that. In order to be one of the best, you need to have that confidence in yourself. Magic is arguably a top 5 player all time. Curry is arguably top 10-12. Still, two all time greats.

Phoenix
08-23-2023, 11:36 AM

Please find a croquet forum or something. Jesus H. fukking Christ...

hold this L
08-23-2023, 11:45 AM

That's because a lot of people look at things surface level. Wilt is the best example. The statistical GOAT, while also being one of the least impact all time greats. His teams won only 7.5% more when he played vs when he didn't, compared to guys like MJ, Lebron or Steph who won 25-32% more with their teams. But hey, their base stats aren't as good as Wilt's.

Oscar isn't even the defacto #3 point guard ever. Putting him in a conversation for #2 or #1 means you're either trolling like John is because he's a Lebron stan whose insecure about what Curry has done, or you're an idiot like danko.

hold this L
08-23-2023, 11:50 AM
Stephen Curry is a shooting guard disguised as a point guard :kobe:

He neither organizes the game nor makes his teammates play.

Even Draymond Green is a better point guard than him.

The only thing that is based on it is the height. As a guard, he has his prodigious wrist and his outside shot, if he had said that he is the best shooter in history, no one could deny it.

Chris Paul, as an organizing point guard, is light years from Stephen Curry...

Too many people who have started watching basketball with the smallball...

I recommend watching the Euroleague to find out what a point guard, shooting guard, forward, power forward and center are.
Draymond is such a good point guard than when Steph missed an entire season, the offense of the team was 30th in the league. Even though he was playing with poor players then, the offensive rating was almost exactly the same with him on the court than off.

I also have no idea how anyone can say he doesn't organize the game. The team plays two completely different styles when he's on the court vs off, something that the coaching staff has admitted themselves if for some reason your eyesight wasn't working while watching them. The team also shoots significantly better when he's on the court vs off, and they have a much better shot selection when that happens as well. Just because he doesn't pound the ball for 20 seconds like CP3 until he finds the right pass =/= elite playmaking. His role is to create the best shots for his teammates, and there's few that do it as well as he does in NBA history.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/CircularAncientEnglishpointer-size_restricted.gif

Charlie Sheen
08-23-2023, 12:03 PM
The Warriors offense functions a lot better with the ball in Dray's ahnds than Jamychal as we saw in the playoffs but..there is not even a comparison between Dray and Steph as playmakers. Wild anyone would make that statement.

Baller234
08-23-2023, 12:09 PM

Uh.. getting assists and passing the ball has a lot to do with being a point guard. A quarterback can make running plays but their primary job is to pass the ball first. That is what we use to traditionally expect out of point guards. They were the set up guys.

Style of play has evolved and so the demand for a traditional point guard isn't as high as it used to be, but first we have to acknowledge that players like Curry aren't true point guards. Half the time he's playing quarterback and half the time he's playing receiver.

The only reason he's even considered a PG is because that is his "official" designation, but those designations haven't evolved with the times. They are carryovers from a bygone era. Same reason why we still refer to the 4 spot as power forward even though very few 4 guys today are actually power forwards.

Hey Yo
08-23-2023, 12:57 PM
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/38244700

Here's Stephen A. saying he (allegedly) got a text early this morning from MJ that stated he believes the GOAT convo is an opinion but when it comes to the PG position, Curry is close to Magic, but Magic was the one who basically made trip-dubs a great PG achievement (Oscar anyone?) and that also in the end, Magic has 5 to Curry's 4 rings.

The ring part doesn't sound like something MJ would bring up.

1987_Lakers
08-23-2023, 01:19 PM
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/38244700

Here's Stephen A. saying he (allegedly) got a text early this morning from MJ that stated he believes the GOAT convo is an opinion but when it comes to the PG position, Curry is close to Magic, but Magic was the one who basically made trip-dubs a great PG achievement (Oscar anyone?) and that also in the end, Magic has 5 to Curry's 4 rings.

The ring part doesn't sound like something MJ would bring up.

Now we see why MJ failed as an owner.

dankok8
08-23-2023, 01:29 PM

Oscar was playing winning basketball. He wasn't just smarter than Westbrook. He's one of the best floor generals of all time.

Problem is he played in an era where having a rim protector was the most important thing because most shots were coming near the basket. And the big men he had on his team particularly Jerry Lucas were mediocre defenders and so his teams weren't as successful as Russell's Celtics and Wilt's Sixers because those teams could protect the paint.

Jasper
08-23-2023, 06:30 PM
Claimed this when talking to Gilbert Arenas

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/stephen-curry-says-hes-the-best-point-guard-ever-but-lets-put-the-debate-in-some-context/

sorry stockton is still my and majics pick

Stephonit
08-24-2023, 12:41 AM
Oscar was playing winning basketball. He wasn't just smarter than Westbrook. He's one of the best floor generals of all time.

Problem is he played in an era where having a rim protector was the most important thing because most shots were coming near the basket. And the big men he had on his team particularly Jerry Lucas were mediocre defenders and so his teams weren't as successful as Russell's Celtics and Wilt's Sixers because those teams could protect the paint.

Oscar Robertson was the all-time leading scorer in the NCAA and took his team to the finals right before entering the NBA. But he did not win. One would think losing such a player would be a mighty blow to his college team. You'd be mistaken. His college team won the national title the next two years and almost a third without him.

warriorfan
08-24-2023, 12:53 AM
Oscar Robertson was the all-time leading scorer in the NCAA and took his team to the finals right before entering the NBA. But he did not win. One would think losing such a player would be a mighty blow to his college team. You'd be mistaken. His college team won the national title the next two years and almost a third without him.

The Big Empty

hold this L
08-24-2023, 09:50 AM
He went to the Wilt school of winning basketball.

8Ball
08-25-2023, 01:22 AM
I fail to see how Magic in today's game would impact the game more than Curry.

PG's that cannot shoot don't do well in today's game at all. Period. End of Story.

Look at Westbrook. All-nba 1st team player in 2016, and with Curry's 3 point revolution becomes a completely useless player a few years later.

warriorfan
08-25-2023, 02:32 AM

PG's that cannot shoot don't do well in today's game at all. Period. End of Story.

Look at Westbrook. All-nba 1st team player in 2016, and with Curry's 3 point revolution becomes a completely useless player a few years later.

100, dudes out here acting like a ball dominant jahil okafor would set the league on fire.

i’m trollin a lil here, don’t trip :lol

Phoenix
08-25-2023, 08:01 AM
Magic would probably be a point-center today. A flashier mix of Jokic and Luka probably. Of course he provides no paint protection so you'd need to pair him with the appropriate front-court talent. Also, considering he greatly improved as a shooter in the late 80's, I see no reason why he wouldn't shoot well enough today since he'd be in a league that prioritized it. Like, if you took Wembeyama back to the 80's, he doesn't have the skillset you see now( I'm guessing Ralph Sampson would be the comparison).

Carbine
08-25-2023, 08:27 AM
It's pretty obvious that if range shooting was an emphasis for Magic he would have been a good shooter.

He led the league in FT% and was 6th in 3 pt makes and 18th in 3pt percentage. Labeling Magic as a non shooter is a illogical take.

8Ball
08-25-2023, 09:23 AM
100, dudes out here acting like a ball dominant jahil okafor would set the league on fire.

i’m trollin a lil here, don’t trip :lol

Larry Bird in his prime would guaranteed be a 1st team all-nba player in today's game.

Magic possibly wouldn't.

Nb1
08-25-2023, 10:58 AM
Lmfao :roll:

Imagine never making even 1 single go-ahead shot in the last 45 seconds of the game in your whole career to help your team win and claim this :oldlol:

Dude is the number 1 choker of all time, how dare he say he’s better then a legend like Magic who impacted the game 1000000 more lol.

GOBB
08-28-2023, 05:50 PM

Westbrook proved he can’t shoot due to his sample size. Magic could shoot but the game/era he played did not favor the 3pt shot as much as todays game. Which often lives and dies by it. Your logic is flawed. You took this false narrative of “magic can’t shoot” then found a player in todays shooting era that’s not considered a good shooter and compared them. That’s cringe.

Magic in todays game would have been on par shooting from 3 as a James Harden. Can harden shoot?

highwhey
08-28-2023, 06:16 PM
maybe the best cuvckold pointguard ever