PDA

View Full Version : Some NBA questions to pick your brain?

L.Kizzle
08-24-2023, 04:55 PM
What year did you start watching NBA basketball?

What was a major NBA story (non championship team related) that happened your first sesson watching the NBA?

How many teams were in the league when you started watching the NBA?

When did the last player from that season mentioned (that you remember) retire from the NBA? If not, how long have them been in the league.

Are players that played against "said" person still in the league? If not, when did the last one retire?

Who was the oldest person in the league when you started to watch?

What is a major difference (can be style of play, rule change) from that time to now?

Overdrive
08-24-2023, 05:52 PM
Late 1994-95

Jordan's and a season later Magic's comeback.

I think 27.

I think Juwan Howard retired in 2014. Hill and Kidd were the last active players I remember. Think they both retired after 2011-12.

Sure.

I think Robert Parish.

Lack of back to the basket center play.

SouBeachTalents
08-24-2023, 05:57 PM
I think I would literally rather do laundry than look up and answer all these questions.

Xiao Yao You
08-24-2023, 06:03 PM
>What year did you start watching NBA basketball?

80-'81

>What was a major NBA story (non championship team related) that happened your first sesson watching the NBA?

Moses leading the Rockets to the finals?

>How many teams were in the league when you started watching the NBA?

Dallas was just added for 23 I believe

>When did the last player from that season mentioned (that you remember) retire from the NBA? If not, how long have them been in the league.

>Are players that played against "said" person still in the league? If not, when did the last one retire?

>Who was the oldest person in the league when you started to watch?

?

>What is a major difference (can be style of play, rule change) from that time to now?

one thing I always remember is Hot Rod saying he's got 3 to make 2 or 2 to make 1 which happened a lot with the real A.D. They got an extra free throw in the penalty if they missed 1

L.Kizzle
08-24-2023, 06:20 PM
I think I would literally rather do laundry than look up and answer all these questions.
What's there to look up? None of these questions are stats related.

RRR3
08-24-2023, 06:41 PM
When did you start watching OP?

L.Kizzle
08-24-2023, 06:45 PM
When did you start watching OP?
Same season as Overdrive so almost same answers. I believe Mises Malone was still playing in that season tho not sure if he'd older than Parish or not. I don't remember him playing but remember Parish in a few games for the Bulls his final season.

Real Men Wear Green
08-24-2023, 06:55 PM

1989 but I wasn't thinking about what I was looking at until 94.

What was a major NBA story (non championship team related) that happened your first sesson watching the NBA?

Expending happened but I definitely didn't notice ot care.

When did the last player from that season mentioned (that you remember) retire from the NBA? If not, how long have them been in the league.

I have no idea.

Are players that played against "said" person still in the league? If not, when did the last one retire?

No.

I don't know the answer to this question either but I would guess Robert Parish. And be wrong.

What is a major difference (can be style of play, rule change) from that time to now?

I think Steph Curry takes more threes in a week than some teams did in a while season.

dream team

Jasper
08-24-2023, 07:51 PM
I was 12 years old 1970 watching the Milwaukee Bucks.
Jabbar was the star , but I liked Luesus Allan , and tailored my game after his.
Saw up close and personal - Wilt and Kareem battles.

Major story Kareem bring a title to Milwaukee .. when he was drafted , and he delivered.
Saw many many stars thru the 70's ... which led me to be a life time fan .

Phoenix
08-24-2023, 07:59 PM

Somewhere between 89 and 90, around the time my family got satellite.

Nothing comes to mind. This was decades before social media and I was otherwise too young to be tracking off-court news.

27, league extended with Minny/Miami/Orlando/Charlotte the same time.

Umm.... :confusedshrug:

Uhhh....

Kareem, my first watched finals coincided with him retiring at 42

Physicality, spacing, dribbling, hand-checking, post play, 3pointers etc etc....

Phoenix
08-24-2023, 08:06 PM
I think Steph Curry takes more threes in a week than some teams did in a while season.

Lol not quite, but it is interesting to note that in 89 the Knicks took 14 3PA per game. Steph has averaged 11 over the last 8 seasons.

jlip
08-24-2023, 09:52 PM

Dr. J farewell tour and retiring

No clue

Doubt it

I'm thinking Kareem but don't know for certain.

The prominence of three point shot and more position-less basketball

Overdrive
08-25-2023, 03:54 AM

Anyone that started watching after '86 can answer this one

with yes. 85-86 was Karl Malone's rookie season, who's last season was Lebron's rookie season.

John8204
08-25-2023, 08:57 PM

Dream Team, Shaq, Magic's retirement and Larry Birds last season

Shaq 2011 20 seasons

yes

Robert Parish

Lack of fights