PDA

View Full Version : Shaq or Curry as franchise player?

iamgine
09-03-2023, 12:26 PM
If you have to take prime version of one of them as your franchise player today, who'd you pick? Lets say both is the same age and will be equally loyal to your team.

hateraid
09-03-2023, 12:37 PM
Shaq over any player all time

Baller234
09-03-2023, 12:50 PM
They are same tier to me. Both have a profound impact on the game and make it easier for their teammates, but they both have weaknesses that can be exploited.

Shaq can dominate for 3.5 quarters but he can't close the deal. Curry can close the deal but he needs help getting open.

Shaq brings size and physicality but might be a defensive liability in an era where the floor is spread at all times.

I really feel like I can make a case for both.

Im Still Ballin
09-03-2023, 01:05 PM
Can't go wrong with either. It really comes down to a stylistic preference: what kind of team do you want to build? The era isn't that big of a concern because great players adapt to any circumstances.

tpols
09-03-2023, 01:08 PM
Curry won with way less multiple times.

Axe
09-03-2023, 03:55 PM
Shaq in a heart.

Axe
09-03-2023, 03:55 PM
Curry won with way less multiple times.
With stacked teams tho. :confusedshrug:

paksat
09-03-2023, 04:01 PM
shaq would average 45-50 in this league, so shaq

ShawkFactory
09-03-2023, 04:18 PM

Omg no he wouldn’t.

tpols
09-03-2023, 04:18 PM
With stacked teams tho. :confusedshrug:

Uh not really.... 2015 and 2022 were weak historically. You can use the excuse 2015 was an easy path due to some injuries but 2022 they took down a titan in the Celtics. Dead in the water about to go down 3-1 with no backup and Chef went nuts.

Shaq needed Kobe and Wade. Curry needed Wiggins and a bed wetting klay and dray.

FultzNationRISE
09-03-2023, 04:23 PM
It's a genuinely tough choice, but I'm taking Lebron.

ShawkFactory
09-03-2023, 04:36 PM
Uh not really.... 2015 and 2022 were weak historically. You can use the excuse 2015 was an easy path due to some injuries but 2022 they took down a titan in the Celtics. Dead in the water about to go down 3-1 with no backup and Chef went nuts.

Shaq needed Kobe and Wade. Curry needed Wiggins and a bed wetting klay and dray.

A TITAN?!

I mean they were definitely a good team no doubt but I don’t think I’d describe that Celtics team as a titan.

SouBeachTalents
09-03-2023, 04:44 PM
A TITAN?!

I mean they were definitely a good team no doubt but I don’t think I’d describe that Celtics team as a titan.
Yeah, they would've gotten bounced in the 2nd round if Middleton was healthy, and still nearly lost to Milwaukee anyway, and were a potential Butler 3 away from losing to Miami. They also lost quite decisively over the final 3 games of the Finals.

tpols
09-03-2023, 04:52 PM
A TITAN?!

They were an extremely stacked team in the middle of their prime. Don't really care to debate semantics around terminology. And they were a better team than the Warriors. Go look at how klay and dray performed in that series. They basically needed Curry to go nuclear, Wiggins to try, and Looney to turn into Dennis Rodman.

paksat
09-03-2023, 04:57 PM
Omg no he wouldn’t.

best center in the league is jokic, lol @ him trying to guard shaq

teams used to have multiple bigs on their teams that wouldn't even be in the nba if shaq didn't exist. They got those guys on their teams because shaq would drop 45-50 if they didn't have them

ShawkFactory
09-03-2023, 04:57 PM
They were an extremely stacked team in the middle of their prime. Don't really care to debate semantics around terminology. And they were a better team than the Warriors. Go look at how klay and dray performed in that series. They basically needed Curry to go nuclear, Wiggins to try, and Looney to turn into Dennis Rodman.

I don’t think they were any more stacked than any good finals team. Overall better than the warriors probably, sure. Outclassed in big moments by both Steph and the experience on the other side.

Definitely a great ring for Chef but not like they beat an all time team or anything.

tpols
09-03-2023, 04:58 PM

teams used to have multiple bigs on their teams that wouldn't even be in the nba if shaq didn't exist. They got those guys on their teams because shaq would drop 45-50 if they didn't have them

They would also heavily exploit his inability to guard the 3pt shot on mismatches so he wouldn't have the gas for that.

Or they could just purposely foul him and he'd have to take 100 FTs a game to hit that mark.

elementally morale
09-03-2023, 05:04 PM
I'd go with non-peak Shaq. Orlando Shaq. He would be more effective today than peak Shaq, especially on defense but I think on offense as well due to mobility and speed.

Norcaliblunt
09-03-2023, 05:29 PM
Honestly a starting 5 with both and filled out with solid 3&D guys would beat any all time great team you could come up with.

paksat
09-03-2023, 06:13 PM
They would also heavily exploit his inability to guard the 3pt shot on mismatches so he wouldn't have the gas for that.

Or they could just purposely foul him and he'd have to take 100 FTs a game to hit that mark.

you do know teams were doing that right? Hack-a-shaq

I'm also a bit tired of hearing how elite todays players are from the 3 pt line. All these guys seem to do is practice the 3 pt shot yet I read the league average a couple years ago was only 2-3% higher than it was in the early 90s in terms of hitting the 3.

How many 3's did the rockets miss vs the warriors in that one game again? Was it 24? 28 3's in a row?

ShawkFactory
09-03-2023, 06:24 PM

Do you know how many shots and makes it would take for a 50% FT shooter who won’t makes any 3s to score that much?

You think Shaq is taking 35 shots a game? He’s going to run that much with the spacing and fast-paced nature of the game and still give play 38 minutes and remain that effective?

No. At his peak be like a 34/15 guy in 32-33 minutes tops.

Acting like shaq would be the same if he had to guard Jokic 20 feet from the basket every possession. FOH.

SouBeachTalents
09-03-2023, 07:21 PM
Do you know how many shots and makes it would take for a 50% FT shooter who won’t makes any 3s to score that much?

You think Shaq is taking 35 shots a game? He’s going to run that much with the spacing and fast-paced nature of the game and still give play 38 minutes and remain that effective?

Acting like shaq would be the same if he had to guard Jokic 20 feet from the basket every possession. FOH.
It's kinda sad you had to explain in detail why someone, esp a player like Shaq, wouldn't be able to average 50 points a game :lol

SouBeachTalents
09-03-2023, 07:21 PM
Honestly a starting 5 with both and filled out with solid 3&D guys would beat any all time great team you could come up with.
Any team I could come up with? That's definitely not true :lol

Carbine
09-03-2023, 07:46 PM
Putting Shaq and Curry in pick and rolls all game.... Lots of teams I could think of could beat that under this hypothetical.

Norcaliblunt
09-03-2023, 08:22 PM
Any team I could come up with? That's definitely not true :lol

Alright I’ll revise it a little. Lol. Just for fun pick your all time 2 players surrounded by the perfect complementary 3&D dudes who would beat the Shaq Curry duo? Shit is Curry and Shaq even any better than Kobe Shaq?

ILLsmak
09-03-2023, 09:01 PM

34/15 w/ like 6 orebs, that would be nuts. Prol at like 65%, too. It's like you forgot Shaq is one of the greatest athletes in NBA history haha. You seen that clip of Shaq and Drob chasing a ball and they are both going at the same speed? You know Shaq can actually handle the ball and did quite well at face up catches, who is stopping Shaq with one dribble and two big steps to the basket? It would be murder. He would be below average on the pick and roll, but everything else is meh. They could foul him, but teams would have to go into their depth and sign a bunch of stiffs and that would affect everything for all the contenders. More than likely, the way the NBA is about entertainment, they would also finally implement a rule to prevent intentional fouling like that.

50 ppg is a lot, but ez giving him what would be one of the highest ppgs in less minutes, that's very favorable. And his % would be stupid.

-Smak

ShawkFactory
09-03-2023, 09:48 PM
34/15 w/ like 6 orebs, that would be nuts. Prol at like 65%, too. It's like you forgot Shaq is one of the greatest athletes in NBA history haha. You seen that clip of Shaq and Drob chasing a ball and they are both going at the same speed? You know Shaq can actually handle the ball and did quite well at face up catches, who is stopping Shaq with one dribble and two big steps to the basket? It would be murder. He would be below average on the pick and roll, but everything else is meh. They could foul him, but teams would have to go into their depth and sign a bunch of stiffs and that would affect everything for all the contenders. More than likely, the way the NBA is about entertainment, they would also finally implement a rule to prevent intentional fouling like that.

50 ppg is a lot, but ez giving him what would be one of the highest ppgs in less minutes, that's very favorable. And his % would be stupid.

-Smak

I feel like you’re agreeing with what I said but also not..?

I think Shaq is one of the greatest ever. But the game is different now and he’s not playing as many minutes or getting slowed-down post touches every single possession like great big guys used to. No matter how good he is. Whatever team he is on would certainly make it a point to do that more than most teams currently do but there’s still a limit.

I’m not saying that shaq was this Bigfoot plodding fat guy. Of course he was stupidly athletic at his size but even then idk. It’s different. He’d be dominant but not like Barry Bonds on steroids shit. I think he’d put up slightly better numbers than Embiid but be more consistent and overall imposing.

kawhileonard2
09-03-2023, 11:12 PM
Shaq over any player all time

Not sure how with how many times he got swept and lost with HCA.

Jasper
09-03-2023, 11:58 PM
Shaq first year will help the team more so than Curry.
Shaq if stays in shape 12-13 years.

Curry first 2 years not as effective until he learns the NBA...
longevity guard always wins over a big center.

hateraid
09-04-2023, 01:44 AM
In most of Shaq's peak Shaq won the championship or lost to the team that eventually won the championship. In his prime he made every tram significantly better. Curry is slightly under Shaq imo and probably on the same tier as Magic when it comes to elevating an ordinary team. Shaq is way too difficult to game plan. They literally could only exploit one weakness and that was hack a Shaq. I don't thinknany player other than Wilt has had that type of impact.

Axe
09-04-2023, 02:20 AM

2015 was weak historically? Oh come on teapots, put your caffeine away. You should be better than this. You rely too much on preseason/vegas odds that ain't accurate all the time. :oldlol:

And last year, 2022, proved that the warriors are still potent when klay came back. He should have been a former shell of himself after his 2019 injury but that wasn't the case at all. And no, i don't buy the impression that the 2022 Cs are 'titans'. They are strong, yes, but they needed a lot of luck just to get out of their conference last year.

Manny98
09-04-2023, 02:56 PM
Curry easily, the only players I would even consider starting a franchise over Curry are MJ and LeBron

ILLsmak
09-04-2023, 04:37 PM
I feel like you’re agreeing with what I said but also not..?

I think Shaq is one of the greatest ever. But the game is different now and he’s not playing as many minutes or getting slowed-down post touches every single possession like great big guys used to. No matter how good he is. Whatever team he is on would certainly make it a point to do that more than most teams currently do but there’s still a limit.

I’m not saying that shaq was this Bigfoot plodding fat guy. Of course he was stupidly athletic at his size but even then idk. It’s different. He’d be dominant but not like Barry Bonds on steroids shit. I think he’d put up slightly better numbers than Embiid but be more consistent and overall imposing.

I'm saying Shaq could catch it at 12-15 facing and just go around people. The way the game is reffed and contact changes a lot. The only way they could stop him is to zone him up before he even got the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT8w8Ot8Pcw who is stopping Shaq from doing this every time? People say Shaq would have to expend energy to guard Jokic outside but A. That's not true, could have someone else do it if the PF was closer to the basket, or just have Shaq zone, and B. If he was guarding him, he'd just be standing there. Haha. It's not like Jokic would be going around Shaq or something.

But yeah, I don't see how anyone could stop Shaq, even driving, unless they gave up wide open 3s.

-Smak