PDA

View Full Version : My scouting report on beating the US in FIBA

90sgoat
09-05-2023, 07:56 PM
Here's my scouting report on beating the US in FIBA basketball. It might not be revolutonary but what do you think:

1. Play big and strong
2. Move the ball and play inside-out
3. Have a plan for full court pressure
4. Make them play iso on offense
5. Taunt and demoralize

Those are my scouting points on the US team.

It all begins by being bigger and stronger. The US has gotten soft. While they're long and athletic on the wings, the US only true elite advantage, they've gotten slower and softer on guard positions and center positions. Use your strength for advantage, see Lithuania. Be stronger on all 5 positions.

Second is the necessity to play inside-out and moving the ball. The US does not like to play advanced zone defense, they'd rather just switch. If you keep moving the ball on the perimeter only, the US defenders are quick and lanky enough to easily cover ground. However, if you move the ball inside out and have plenty of Reggie Miller / Steph Curry backdoor cuts mixed with floppy action and passes out of the post, that is lethal to lazy american defense. Don't do like Italy and just swing it on the perimeter, you have to force them to run around screens from the low post and to actually make them decide if switching or following. They're weak here.

Third is a basic one, that it seems most teams have understood, but basically, the US has the capacity for very effective and physical full court pressure in spurts. Most euro guards are not used to this and will often commit turnovers. You need to have practised this scenario and know what to do and how to play out of it.

Fourth is to make players like Ingram or Ant go iso. This is by far the best outcome and by far the worst outcome is to have an open 3 point shooter. Because of no def-3 seconds rule, the iso action is not as effective, while the swing-to-3 is much more effective.

Fifth and last, you need to try to break morale by bullying and taunting. The US team is not a fixed hieararchy, it doesn't have burning passion like how Serbia would have if playing Bosnia. It's a team of talents who are in it for the fun as much as the glory. If it stops being fun, you might see players checking out.

BurningHammer
09-05-2023, 08:12 PM
Latvia may have a better chance than Germany. Baltic teams have similar play styles. While Latvia's talents are not as deep as Lithuania and Kristaps doesn't play they have proven they are a capable team.

90sgoat
09-05-2023, 10:51 PM
Latvia may have a better chance than Germany. Baltic teams have similar play styles. While Latvia's talents are not as deep as Lithuania and Kristaps doesn't play they have proven they are a capable team.

I haven't watched either Germany or Latvia yet. I do know that Bertans can go off against anyone.

90sgoat
09-08-2023, 11:53 AM
Bump

Im Still Ballin
09-08-2023, 12:23 PM
Good scouting report bro.