PDA

View Full Version : Lakers signed Christian Wood

Lebron23
09-05-2023, 11:30 PM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38336475/christian-wood-los-angeles-lakers-reach-2-year-deal Solid addition by the Lakers.

Lebron23
09-05-2023, 11:42 PM
Los Angeles Lakers 2023-2024

PG: D'angelo Russell
SG: Austin Reaves
SF: LeBron James
PF: Anthony Davis
C: Christian Wood

Bench

PG: Gabe Vincent
SG: Cam Redish
SF: Taurean Prince
PF: Jarred Vanderbilt/Rui Hachimura
C: Jaxson Hayes

MrFonzworth
09-05-2023, 11:43 PM
Not enough help:(

RRR3
09-05-2023, 11:43 PM
Doesn't really address a need for them, another low IQ Pelinka signing. Should be a good team barring health issues though. Wood will not be playing that much in playoff games though. If Hayes can develop, wouldn't be surprised if he plays over him. Wood is a really good offensive player, but that's not really what you need from a center on this team.

bison
09-06-2023, 12:35 AM
AD and wood on the court at the same time as sweet potential. Lakers have a damn good roster but I think with the final roster spot they should get another big man, even a generic 7 foot guy like Tristan, or bring out castleton from the farm. God DAMN we are stacked.

Jasper
09-06-2023, 12:48 AM
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38336475/christian-wood-los-angeles-lakers-reach-2-year-deal Solid addition by the Lakers.

that 's a hell of a pick up....

What the hell is Mav's doing letin' him walk ??

bison
09-06-2023, 12:56 AM
that 's a hell of a pick up....

What the hell is Mav's doing letin' him walk ??

I’ve just heard he has a bad rep. Lazy on defense, poor work ethic, doesn’t play for the team. Hopefully LeFraud can use what his left of his declining stardom to discipline him properly, but it already seems like Austin reaves is already next in line to turn these jobbers out

Full Court
09-06-2023, 06:46 AM
Doesn't really address a need for them, another low IQ Pelinka signing. Should be a good team barring health issues though. Wood will not be playing that much in playoff games though. If Hayes can develop, wouldn't be surprised if he plays over him. Wood is a really good offensive player, but that's not really what you need from a center on this team.

^Doing damgage control already. :roll:

SUPER TEAM.

PAOK
09-06-2023, 08:19 AM
Wood kind of reminds me of Whiteside a couple of years ago.

He was an FA after some great statistical seasons with the Heat. Signed a vet minimum in late September, and never really produced at a high level again

D-Wait
09-06-2023, 08:22 AM
Wood kind of reminds me of Whiteside a couple of years ago.

He was an FA after some great statistical seasons with the Heat. Signed a vet minimum in late September, and never really produced at a high level again

Difference is he's a reliable 3-point shooter, something Whiteside didn't offer. That's why I don't think he will have such a downfall.

Amazing steal for the Lakers!!

90sgoat
09-06-2023, 08:46 AM
Wood is not a starting center for a championship team.

He was great as a backup for Mavs, but Kidd doesn't like big men.

Im Still Ballin
09-06-2023, 08:54 AM
It's a good signing: low risk, high reward. Christian's value depends on his role and the players he plays with. LA has enough defense and size to cover up his defensive shortcomings while maximizing his strengths. I'm very interested to see how Wood and Davis play together.

90sgoat
09-06-2023, 09:11 AM
Why does Jason Kidd hate centers?

He had Javala and Woods and didn't want any of them? Javale was for sure good enough to play 15 minutes a game.

sdot_thadon
09-06-2023, 12:35 PM
^Doing damgage control already. :roll:

SUPER TEAM.

Yeah because we all know anytime Lebron gets decent rotational players it's automatically a super team, goat.

FultzNationRISE
09-06-2023, 01:54 PM
It doesnt make or break anything but it’s a good signing given his size and shooting proficiency. He’ll look even better in a faster tempo offense than he did under Luka ball - where he already was a good player offensively.

Even tho he’s not a big name difference maker it still perpetually shocks me that he got a 5 million dollar contract for two years while guys like Beal and Brown make 300 million. Ofc the market is the market and thats fine, but it suggests some ginormous exponential gap in impact between those guys and a guy like Wood, when it’s really much smaller than the contract figures suggest. It doesnt bother me I just find the economics of the league interesting.

ShawkFactory
09-06-2023, 02:06 PM
It doesnt make or break anything but it’s a good signing given his size and shooting proficiency. He’ll look even better in a faster tempo offense than he did under Luka ball - where he already was a good player offensively.

Even tho he’s not a big name difference maker it still perpetually shocks me that he got a 5 million dollar contract for two years while guys like Beal and Brown make 300 million. Ofc the market is the market and thats fine, but it suggests some ginormous exponential gap in impact between those guys and a guy like Wood, when it’s really much smaller than the contract figures suggest. It doesnt bother me I just find the economics of the league interesting.

From what I've seen from and heard about Wood, he's a very low impact player relative to his skills and even numbers occasionally. Poor defensively, doesn't move the ball well, doesn't do any of the little things and hasn't always had the best drive in general. Perhaps having a diminished role on the Lakers will force him to do some of those other things to stay on the court but it makes sense why no one really wanted him.

bladefd
09-06-2023, 06:02 PM
Los Angeles Lakers 2023-2024

SF: LeBron James
PF: Anthony Davis
C: Christian Wood

Bench

PF: Jarred Vanderbilt/Rui Hachimura

I doubt Wood will start.

My guess it will look like this:

SF: Lebron James
PF: Rui Hachimura (or Vanderbilt depending on matchup)
C: Anthony Davis

Bench

PF: Christian Wood

I wish we could have a defensive center off bench. Wood plays horrendous defense and Hayes is not reliable/out of control often. I hope Lakers can make a small trade during season to get a center who plays some defense. You can't just have AD alone with his injury history.

Full Court
09-06-2023, 06:51 PM
Yeah because we all know anytime Lebron gets decent rotational players it's automatically a super team, goat.

You're so right. The super team has nothing at all to do with having 4 all star level players plus one of the deepest benches in the league.

:biggums:

Axe
09-06-2023, 07:15 PM
:oldlol:

8Ball
09-06-2023, 09:07 PM
I doubt Wood will start.

Bench

I wish we could have a defensive center off bench. Wood plays horrendous defense and Hayes is not reliable/out of control often. I hope Lakers can make a small trade during season to get a center who plays some defense. You can't just have AD alone with his injury history.

What defensive center was out there that isn't minimum and that the Lakers would rather have instead of re-signing one of Russell / Reaves / Rui and Gabe?

Manny98
09-06-2023, 09:09 PM
One word to describe this team

STACKED!!!

beasted
09-06-2023, 09:49 PM
He's solid insurance for rebounds and scoring when Davis inevitably that's injured. But he's poor defensively and a terrible passer.

RRR3
09-06-2023, 09:57 PM
From what I've seen from and heard about Wood, he's a very low impact player relative to his skills and even numbers occasionally. Poor defensively, doesn't move the ball well, doesn't do any of the little things and hasn't always had the best drive in general. Perhaps having a diminished role on the Lakers will force him to do some of those other things to stay on the court but it makes sense why no one really wanted him.
Impact data bore this out last year, hence why he was often benched for Dwight Powell. I do like Wood's offensive skillset a lot though. He really should be at least a decent defender given that he's a good athlete with length. If he can just be average on defense, this is a homerun for the Lakers. But I wouldn't trust him to be anything but bad on that end given his track record. Seems like a weird signing, I'm not sure how much they need his scoring. He does space the floor though.

bladefd
09-06-2023, 10:44 PM
What defensive center was out there that isn't minimum and that the Lakers would rather have instead of re-signing one of Russell / Reaves / Rui and Gabe?

Lakers would not have been able to sign another center who wasn't a veterans minimum contract. Short of doing a trade or using the mle anyways.

3ba11
09-06-2023, 11:04 PM

Wood is probably a better scorer than Pippen when you include efficiency, yet he will be the 4th, 5th, or 6th option for the Lakers:

21-23' Christian Wood'........ 18/9/2 on 61 TS... 20.5 PER.... 0.130 WS/48
91-93' Scottie Pippen.......... 19/8/6 on 54 TS... 20.4 PER.... 0.168 WS/48

It's impossible for the #2 player of all-time to need so much help, so there's no way Lebron is #2 - there isn't anyone that ever picked up a basketball that needed more help than Lebron and his crap brand of ball-dominance - it's a version of luka-ball, aka 4/10 ball... Jordan won 70 with just Pippen, while Lebron has about 5 Pippen's and probably won't even win 60.. The guy is a joke and the biggest fraud ever

Lebron23
09-07-2023, 04:45 AM
Wood is probably a better scorer than Pippen when you include efficiency, yet he will be the 4th, 5th, or 6th option for the Lakers:

It's impossible for the #2 player of all-time to need so much help, so there's no way Lebron is #2 - there isn't anyone that ever picked up a basketball that needed more help than Lebron and his crap brand of ball-dominance - it's a version of luka-ball, aka 4/10 ball... Jordan won 70 with just Pippen, while Lebron has about 5 Pippen's and probably won't even win 60.. The guy is a joke and the biggest fraud ever

Pippen played some defense. And Wood missed the playoffs while playing with Luka and Irving

Lebron23
09-07-2023, 04:46 AM

Jordan played with Stackhouse who averaged 29.8 ppg and they missed the playoffs in 2003

Xiao Yao You
09-07-2023, 06:23 AM
Jordan played with Stackhouse who averaged 29.8 ppg and they missed the playoffs in 2003

He averaged 22 on 41%/29% from 3. MJ was 40 down from the front office and his 2nd retirement :facepalm

Xiao Yao You
09-07-2023, 10:45 AM
I doubt Wood will start.

Bench

The ***** of course has other ideas

Wood tweeted that it had “always been my dream” to play for the Lakers. It turns out his dream coincides with the desires of L.A.’s most important player: Anthony Davis. Sources told ESPN that Davis made it clear to the organization he wanted to have more support at center so he wouldn’t have to play so much 5 during the regular season (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38340386/why-lakers-no-risk-signing-christian-wood-free-anthony-davis-game).

– via Dave McMenamin @ ESPN (https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38340386/why-lakers-no-risk-signing-christian-wood-free-anthony-davis-game)

StrongLurk
09-07-2023, 08:32 PM
I was literally about to make the joke of "when will Wood inevitably be compared to Pippen", but the ISH mental patient already made the post...

Lebron23
09-08-2023, 02:49 AM
He averaged 22 on 41%/29% from 3. MJ was 40 down from the front office and his 2nd retirement :facepalm

And Jordan averaged 20 ppg at age 40

Xiao Yao You
09-08-2023, 06:57 AM
And Jordan averaged 20 ppg at age 40

:bowdown:

GOATbe
09-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Reaves
Bron
Vanderbilt
Wood
AD

https://media.tenor.com/jTBwTHhqieUAAAAM/kobe-bryant-rip.gif

ShawkFactory
09-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Reaves
Bron
Vanderbilt
Wood
AD

https://media.tenor.com/jTBwTHhqieUAAAAM/kobe-bryant-rip.gif

Is that really a lineup you're proposing?

hold this L
09-08-2023, 01:06 PM
Lakers look like the second best team in the West. With more chemistry with their guys, I wouldn't be surprised if they're compete for the championship this year.

PP34Deuce
09-09-2023, 12:18 PM
Lakers building Two diff teams. One team for reg season and one for playoffs.

Wood is a reg season player. Good for couple 18 point 3 3's made nights. Hayes will play more toward playoffs.

I also think a trade will happen these are the lakers and lebron...

3ba11
09-09-2023, 02:26 PM
Reaves
Bron
Vanderbilt
Wood
AD

Will he 3-peat with 3 Pippen's (bolded above) and modern Kareem?

Probably not.. It's amazing how he yields perennial underdogs and losers regardless of cast.. He isn't capable of having a perennial favorite and winner with ANY lineup, aka objectively inferior to guys that had perennial favorites like MJ, Kobe, Bird, Curry, Russell, Kareem, Duncan, Shaq

ShawkFactory
09-09-2023, 04:14 PM

Probably not.. It's amazing how he yields perennial underdogs and losers regardless of cast.. He isn't capable of having a perennial favorite and winner with ANY lineup, aka objectively inferior to guys that had perennial favorites like MJ, Kobe, Bird, Curry, Russell, Kareem, Duncan, Shaq

I will give you this..I never thought I’d see a Christian Wood = Scottie Pippen take. I appreciate your shamelessness at least.

imdaman99
09-09-2023, 06:10 PM
He's a bad defender. If you're gonna surround Lebron with bad defenders, it won't work out in the end

Lebron23
09-11-2023, 01:59 AM

Did you compared Pippen to Wood?? Pippen won multiple playoffs series without Jordan. Same thing cannot be said about Michael Jordan.