PDA

View Full Version : Do fans look down on/underrate certain types of offensive players?

Im Still Ballin
09-08-2023, 09:53 AM
It shocks me how many times I've read online people say that prime Dwight Howard was a bad offensive player. As if he wasn't putting up 20 ppg on 59-60% FG and 62-63% TS in the regular season AND the playoffs. He was doing those numbers in a league where the numbers of 20+ ppg guys was slim. Doing 20+ ppg then is like doing 25 now.

You can't be a bad offensive player and put up those numbers. You just can't. I've heard similar arguments about Giannis too. Even from posters on this forum believe it or not.

Do we look down and underrate certain aesthetics, archetypes, and styles of offensive players? I feel like power players and finishers get disrespected.

SouBeachTalents
09-08-2023, 09:56 AM
It shocks me how many times I've read online people say that prime Dwight Howard was a bad offensive player. As if he wasn't putting up 20 ppg on 59-60% FG and 62-63% TS in the regular season AND the playoffs. He was doing those numbers in a league where the numbers of 20+ ppg guys was slim. Doing 20+ ppg then is like doing 25 now.

You can't be a bad offensive player and put up those numbers. You just can't. I've heard similar arguments about Giannis too. Even from posters on this forum believe it or not.

Do we look down and underrate certain aesthetics, archetypes, and styles of offensive players? I feel like power players and finishers get disrespected.
C'mon bro, you already know the answer to this :lol

Wally450
09-08-2023, 11:33 AM
A large number of fans despised the way James Harden played as a member of the Rockets despite being one of the greatest offensive players. Not just scoring 35 ppg, he was also averaging 8-9 apg.

warriorfan
09-08-2023, 08:25 PM

People don’t like the physical dominant offensive style those guys bring and will try to detract for often illogical reasons, regardless of what the numbers show. Wilt was the father of this and he recognized it clearly, his quote “Nobody roots for Goliath” sums this up nicely.

Then you guys that take it a step further and go “if I was Dwight Howard’s size I could do X, Y, and Z.” Shit gets pretty insane :lol

Reggie43
09-08-2023, 09:00 PM
He was good for his era. He would look bad compared to the great centers/big men of the past.

Jasper
09-10-2023, 07:11 PM
a large number of fans despised the way james harden played as a member of the rockets despite being one of the greatest offensive players. Not just scoring 35 ppg, he was also averaging 8-9 apg.

= ball hog.