PDA

View Full Version : NCAA needs to adopt the fiba rules

Lebron23
09-09-2023, 03:47 AM
why are they still playing 20 minutes per half?? Why is the shot clock 30 seconds??
I know it's a a tradition but somethings needs to change

Xiao Yao You
09-09-2023, 10:12 AM
30 seconds is a tradition? Used to be none

ArbitraryWater
09-09-2023, 11:36 AM

i dont think you know what tradition means

L.Kizzle
09-09-2023, 12:01 PM

It used to be 35 before 30. But I've also said this before.
What do they need 30 seconds for? It's already a short game with the 20 minute half mentioned.

ILLsmak
09-09-2023, 12:42 PM
It used to be 35 before 30. But I've also said this before.
What do they need 30 seconds for? It's already a short game with the 20 minute half mentioned.

for diff styles. 35 was fine w/ me. I dunno if I can say putting it at 30 made it better. More time to get a good shot. If a team wanted to run a slow it down offense, it allowed them to. It was an extra strategic layer, and, as I said, it's a mystery to me why they even reduced it 5 seconds. If you're gonna reduce it, why not reduce it more?

https://www.sportsinsights.com/blog/how-has-the-30-second-shot-clock-affected-ncaab-totals/

quick google, so from that data it's making people jack more 3s (yey) and they are scoring MASSIVELY more points, like...

from a different article: "Men's college basketball has fluctuated between 70.1 and 73.6 points since the shot clocked went to 30 in 2015. Prior to that, averages were in the high 60s. "

Before that, it was 45 seconds.

"When the 45-second shot clock was adopted in the 1985-86 season, a team's average points per game increased from 69.2 to 69.4—statistically ..."

Also mind you that "On April 2, 1986, the NCAA universally adopted the three-point line in college basketball"

I'm gonna get a bad mark on my paper for all of these quotes without citations! What can we say? More or less, THE SHOT CLOCK DOES NOT MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE. What it does is allow schools w/ less talent and a more complex scheme to probe longer, which I thought I was cool. HMM. But I dunno... yall dun even watch ncaaz.

-Smak

3ba11
09-09-2023, 02:15 PM
fiba has a smaller paint, closer 3-point line and allows more physicality - these things reduce spacing and therefore requires greater touch on shots and also quicker, more ad-hoc instinctive ability to mitigate the lesser spacing - many international players are better in these areas, so their teams can beat us despite lesser athleticism