PDA

View Full Version : "I wouldn’t give an apology at gunpoint" - Pippen talks about his feud with Barkley

Lebron23
09-11-2023, 07:13 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EYlgFTsUMAAMfma?format=jpg&name=small

Pippen blasted Barkley after Chuck criticized him for wanting to leave the Rockets.

Scottie Pippen’s tenure in Houston wasn’t just short; it was also ugly. Despite having a Big 3 of Pippen Hakeem Olajuwon, and Charles Barkley, the 1999 Rockets lost to the Los Angeles Lakers in the first round of the NBA Playoffs.

After the disappointing campaign, Pippen asked the Rockets to trade him, preferably to the Lakers, where his former mentor Phil Jackson was coaching. Of course, that angered Barkley, who took a pay cut so that the Rockets could accommodate Pippen’s new contract.

"I gave up more than anybody to get Scottie. And for him to want to leave after one year, it disappointed me greatly," Barkley said. "The Rockets went out of their way to get Scottie, and the fans have treated him well, so I was just disappointed in him."

One day after Barkley made that statement, Pippen came out with his own fighting words.

"I wouldn't give Charles Barkley an apology at gunpoint," Pippen said, never raising his voice. "He can never expect an apology from me. . . . If anything, he owes me an apology for coming to play with his sorry fat butt."

"I was very shocked to see what type of player he was by spending half a season with him," added Scottie. "I'm a guy that's dedicated to winning, and I put out a lot of effort on the court. I expect that from my teammates, especially from a guy of his caliber. Charles is definitely one of the guys that need to show more leadership for this ball club to be successful, and he doesn't show that to me...He feels that if he gets ten rebounds and double-figure points, he's done a good job. But that's not what the game's about. It's about defending, being professional, and coming to work every day."

Pippen thought he was joining a Super Team
When Pippen was traded to Houston, he thought he was joining a Super Team with two fellow future Hall-of-Famers, Olajuwon and Barkley. But as he would soon find out, building a winning team takes more than just having three all-time greats, especially when all of them were already on the decline.

And then, of course, there was Barkley’s notorious work ethic or lack thereof.

In another interview, Pippen said he regretted not heeding Michael Jordan’s advice not to join the Rockets.

“I probably should have listened to Michael a year ago when he said that Charles never will win a championship because he doesn’t show any dedication,” Scottie said.

But even if he didn’t listen to what MJ said, he should’ve known better. The offseason before their Last Dance, the Bulls tried to deal him to Houston for Barkley, and Jordan famously said that he could never play with Barkley despite them being close as brothers.

Lebron23
09-11-2023, 07:14 AM
Pippen thought he was joining a Super Team

When Pippen was traded to Houston, he thought he was joining a Super Team with two fellow future Hall-of-Famers, Olajuwon and Barkley. But as he would soon find out, building a winning team takes more than just having three all-time greats, especially when all of them were already on the decline.

And then, of course, there was Barkley’s notorious work ethic or lack thereof.

In another interview, Pippen said he regretted not heeding Michael Jordan’s advice not to join the Rockets.

“I probably should have listened to Michael a year ago when he said that Charles never will win a championship because he doesn’t show any dedication,” Scottie said.

But even if he didn’t listen to what MJ said, he should’ve known better. The offseason before their Last Dance, the Bulls tried to deal him to Houston for Barkley, and Jordan famously said that he could never play with Barkley despite them being close as brothers.

The word war is not over
The beef looked like it would be coming to an end after Barkley suffered a season-ending injury in December 1999, and Pippen had kind words for his former teammate.

"Charles is a great player. He's a legend; he's a Hall of Famer," Pippen said. "You don't have to label him that he didn't win a championship. He's still great in his own respective way. He's one of the greatest 6-6 guys that ever played the game, and I'm sure he'll be remembered as one of the greatest players at the forward position.”

But During a GQ interview in 2021, Pippen sounded off on Barkley again when he was asked if he ever made an apology.

“I wish he woulda went through with it. I never apologized to him, but I’ll tell you what: He only got arrested for throwing some little white guys out of a window. I ain’t never seen him fight a Black man unless there were referees around. He plays his role like he’s tough. I don’t know nobody he done whooped. Go back and check his record. Did I apologize to him? I told him to get me the hell out of there. That’s what I recall," the Bulls legend said.

Of course, it didn’t take long for Barkley to respond.

“I don’t walk around saying I’m Billy Badass. But I can promise you one thing: I’m tougher than Scottie Pippen," Chuck said. "Let me put that to rest right now. I might not be the toughest guy in the world. But I’m damn sure tougher than Scottie Pippen.”

Pippen and Barkley have stayed off each other as of late, but their beef isn’t over. And with neither side giving up an inch on their issues, it doesn’t look like it’s ending anytime soon.

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/old-school/scottie-pippen-talks-about-his-beef-with-charles-barkley

WhiteKyrie
09-11-2023, 08:21 AM
Scottie Pippen is the most petty, delusional and insecure immature moron possibly this game has ever seen. This is indicative of who he is as a person. Look at all the bridges he’s burned by how he treats people. Dude is so soft. He is so lucky he playing with the mentally toughest player ever.

tpols
09-11-2023, 12:30 PM
"I wouldn't give Charles Barkley an apology at gunpoint," Pippen said, never raising his voice. "He can never expect an apology from me. . . . If anything, he owes me an apology for coming to play with his sorry fat butt."

Look at their productions in the playoffs in 1999...

https://i.postimg.cc/g0bxY8mv/Screenshot-20230911-122614-Chrome.jpg

An old fat Barkley hung 24/14 on great efficiency while Pippen was shooting 32% from the floor.

Every time I look this stuff up it's completely apparent that Pippen was unbelievably lucky to play with MJ. Jordan literally made him.

Baller234
09-11-2023, 12:35 PM
It was always kinda shitty of Scottie to snitch on MJ like that. MJ said those things about Chuck to Scottie behind closed doors and off the record.

Granted I'm sure MJ is probably the type of guy who would have told Chuck that to his face, but even still.

WhiteKyrie
09-11-2023, 12:47 PM
Look at their productions in the playoffs in 1999...

https://i.postimg.cc/g0bxY8mv/Screenshot-20230911-122614-Chrome.jpg

An old fat Barkley hung 24/14 on great efficiency while Pippen was shooting 32% from the floor.

Every time I look this stuff up it's completely apparent that Pippen was unbelievably lucky to play with MJ. Jordan literally made him.
Yeah, you see 18 points per game for Scottie, which was essentially his average for his career. And you’re like that’s pretty good, then you look at the shooting percentage and you’re like my God 33%?

Yes, fat, old, out of shape Barkley put up 24 points per game on pretty good efficiency. Especially considering the efficiency takes a hit because he no longer had his athleticism and lift, while height wise, always being an under size power forward where he said he needed that leaping ability to allow him to finish around the basket over taller guys.

The only time Pippen had good field-goal percentage was when he had his athleticism, so like the early to mid 90s, it basically ended midway through the 1996 season. He had a few injuries here and there, but he was never a skillful enough basketball player to compensate. He wasn’t tactful, he couldn’t break you down off the dribble, didn’t have a great jumpshot. That’s why he was so putrid from basically the 1996 playoffs forward in terms of field-goal percentage. If the dobermans stifling defense wasn’t getting him easy transition baskets with dunks and layups, he was borderline useless. He would occasionally hit a wide open three, or pull up off the dribble from three. Or he would have this really really basic back to the basket game, where he just used his length to score. But beyond that? Absolutely no bag.

And yes to anybody who knows anything that isn’t a Michael Jordan hater, but a Chicago Bull realist, Tex Winter, Johnny Bach, Phil Jackson have said so much themselves that MJ made Scottie. Pippen wasn’t an all star or impact player his first basically 2 1/2 Seasons with the Bulls. He had raw physical talent, but Michael molded him as a player. In terms of work ethic, and mentality.

Scottie never had the skills to be an actual superstar. He was a star, but a sidekick star he didn’t have the ability to be a franchise corner stone.

You can lean on 1994 all you want, it was an aberration year, Chicago actually improved the roster besides the loss of Michael and he was extremely motivated and he was at the peak of his athletic abilities. But he also had a dogshit semi finals versus New York and I’m not even talking about the extreme selfishness of sitting out the final closing possession of a playoff game. That if something like that happen today, a star would be ridiculed until the end of time. To this day the guy is a petty, delusional, selfish, immature, dumb country bumpkin.

Of course, Michael made Scottie Pippen’s development helped Michael yes, but no one would be mentioning Pippen as a top 35 player without the six rings that Michael Jordan and his influence on Scottie’s game provided him. It’s weird, for a. I thought he was underrated, I think now? Scottie Pippen has become one of the most overrated players of all time. Strictly do the to the fact that he played with Michael Jordan and won 6 championships because of it.

pandiani17
09-11-2023, 12:52 PM
I agree with some of the posters saying Scottie shouldn't be talking like that and he wouldn't be the player he was without MJ. However, Charles Barkley's lack of professionalism should be criticized, he should have set a way better example to his teammates through work-ethic.

iamgine
09-11-2023, 01:42 PM
Yeah Barkley was still quite elite in the playoff. Pippen, despite only shooting 33%, was not bad himself.

Hakeem was the one who didn't carry his weight in the playoff. Maybe it's cause he was facing Shaq.

ArbitraryWater
09-11-2023, 02:01 PM
Pip is always talking. It doesnt make sense most of the time.

Chuck didnt even diss him and he comes back with fighting words, insulting him and talking about an apology that was never asked for.

Da_Realist
09-11-2023, 06:19 PM
Pip is always talking. It doesnt make sense most of the time.

Chuck didnt even diss him and he comes back with fighting words, insulting him and talking about an apology that was never asked for.

Insecure people can't take criticism. They will lash out if they sense the slightest disrespect. And Pippen threw MJ in there because he knew he and Barkley were friends and Pippen wanted to cut Barkley as deeply as possible for daring to criticize him publicly. That was a b*tch move by Pip but I have never heard MJ say anything publicly about that. He was still protective of Pippen.

Jimmy Rustler
09-11-2023, 07:39 PM
I used to be a big fan of Scottie, but he's sure turned into a triggered, bitter old man.

highwhey
09-11-2023, 07:45 PM
:roll:

Reggie43
09-11-2023, 08:09 PM
This was really shocking for me at the time that arguably the most versatile forward ever couldnt play well besides Hakeem and Barkley. The media fed us with all those narratives that he could fit any system because of his all around skills but he had a hard time adjusting to a different style and just blamed everyone for his shortcomings on his way out.

red1
09-11-2023, 08:11 PM
pippen is a G

standing his ground like a true NBA legend believing in his self-worth and value until the end.

"He can never expect an apology from me. . . . If anything, he owes me an apology for coming to play with his sorry fat butt."

you already know we love you chuck - pip got your ass here :roll:

iamgine
09-11-2023, 08:52 PM
Although, I'm pretty sure apologies would come easily were it to come at actual gunpoint.

beasted
09-11-2023, 10:24 PM
Scottie Pippen is the most petty, delusional and insecure immature moron possibly this game has ever seen. This is indicative of who he is as a person. Look at all the bridges he’s burned by how he treats people. Dude is so soft. He is so lucky he playing with the mentally toughest player ever.

From his mismanaged finances to burned bridges everywhere including the Bulls twice, and his wife being a thot getting clapped out by everyone, he's definitely a sorry ass dude aside from what he accomplished on the Bulls.

97 bulls
09-12-2023, 09:30 PM
I swear Scottie Pippens personal life stay in yalls head rent free. Lol

As far as his tint with Houston. He didn't want to stay there because Olajuwan was old and Barkley was never committed to winning. Pippen tells the story about how he hired Jordan's trainer to train them to prep for the season and Barkley eventually stopped going. Barkley just wasn't committed to winning.

And none of you Pippen haters acknowledged that. Obviously if Pippen was only about money, Pippen would've stayed, there. He wanted to win. Barkley Obviously didn't care about winning. And that's why his fat ass never won anything.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 09:33 PM

As far as his tint with Houston. He didn't want to stay there because Olajuwan was old and Barkley was never committed to winning. Pippen tells the story about how he hired Jordan's trainer to train them to prep for the season and Barkley eventually stopped going. Barkley just wasn't committed to winning.

And none of you Pippen haters acknowledged that. Obviously if Pippen was only about money, Pippen would've stayed, there. He wanted to win. Barkley Obviously didn't care about winning. And that's why his fat ass never won anything.

also Barkley's fat ass didn't get to play with MJ

beasted
09-12-2023, 10:25 PM

Pippen lost with numerous stacked teams, especially those Blazers. If Barkley was a loser, Pippen is a worse one.

97 bulls
09-12-2023, 10:52 PM
also Barkley's fat ass didn't get to play with MJ

Fortunately for Jordan

97 bulls
09-12-2023, 10:58 PM
Pippen lost with numerous stacked teams, especially those Blazers. If Barkley was a loser, Pippen is a worse one.

Lol. Pippen had 6 Championships, has one of the highest winning percentages ever, and played on the greatest team ever with the best win percentages ever from game 1 to the last game of their title win. Lol we all should be such losers.

Baller789
09-13-2023, 03:55 AM
Pip is one bitter old man.

Soundwave
09-15-2023, 01:13 AM
Scottie is just overly sensitive about everything, he just can't take any kind of a slight without blowing up about it.