PDA

View Full Version : Spurs are going full Sampson with Wemby.

Kblaze8855
09-11-2023, 10:26 AM
Playing him at the 4 but without a Hakeem to justify it.

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2309111954090404.jpeg

Feels like he’d have more advantage at both the 5 and the 3 but I guess that doesn’t determine who actually defends him anyway.

Wardell Curry
09-11-2023, 10:36 AM
I don't think it matters at all. As you said, coaches guard with whomever they want, and on top of that, virtually every team in the league has moved to a "collapse the opposing team's defense by getting a star close to the basket and score an easy bucket or kick it out to a shooter" model even if they don't all have the personnel for it just yet.

Positions don't really seem to be a thing anymore. Not really.

Kblaze8855
09-11-2023, 10:38 AM
Yea it’s never mattered less what position you’re listed because defenses are manipulated to get whatever matchup the offense wants. I’m curious how Pop goes about it though. I don’t see him playing through Wemby even if he were capable of it yet(and I don’t assume he is).

FilmyCogTurner
09-11-2023, 12:21 PM
It makes sense, the kids body isn't ready for all that punishment inside and that's even with the big man position being not what it used to be. Here he has to contest shots on D and be the match up nightmare on offense.

L.Kizzle
09-11-2023, 12:40 PM
I can see it working. Them highlights of Ralph taking the ball all the way down the court, to a spin move a finish was something to see back in 83.

Xiao Yao You
09-11-2023, 12:43 PM
It makes sense, the kids body isn't ready for all that punishment inside and that's even with the big man position being not what it used to be. Here he has to contest shots on D and be the match up nightmare on offense.

He was probably punished more last year in France than he will in a whole career in the can't touch you league(unless you're the offensive player throwing yourself into the defender)

Xiao Yao You
09-11-2023, 12:44 PM
I can see it working. Them highlights of Ralph taking the ball all the way down the court, to a spin move a finish was something to see back in 83.

He was best as a rookie at the 5

90sgoat
09-11-2023, 03:12 PM
Like I said, he's just a worse Porzingis.

Im Still Ballin
09-11-2023, 03:14 PM
I hope he doesn't fall in love with his mediocre jump shot and obsess about being a "modern" big. He could be a killer in the paint as a roller, cutter, dump-off, and put-back guy. Like a less springy 7'4" Anthony Davis.

Xiao Yao You
09-11-2023, 03:17 PM
I hope he doesn't fall in love with his mediocre jump shot and obsess about being a "modern" big. He could be a killer in the paint as a roller, cutter, dump-off, and put-back guy. Like a less springy 7'4" Anthony Davis.

Be surprised if he's as durable Davis. Hopefully he won't be too big of a ***** to play center eventually

90sgoat
09-11-2023, 03:26 PM
Over/under that he will have a better career than Shawn Bradley?

Xiao Yao You
09-11-2023, 03:27 PM
Over/under that he will have a better career than Shawn Bradley?

Bradley had a long career. Odds are against Wemby

Im Still Ballin
09-11-2023, 03:39 PM
Be surprised if he's as durable Davis. Hopefully he won't be too big of a ***** to play center eventually

I just hope he realizes you don't need an outside shot to dominate on offense as a big man. Anthony Davis stopped shooting jumpers and was putting up crazy numbers before and after his injuries during the regular season. That relentless mindset of attacking the paint is what I hope he'll develop.

Anthony Davis first 23 games of the 2023 season before the injury:

- 29.3 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.4 spg, 2.3 bpg, 2.0 topg
- 59.3% FG, 82% FT, 68.6% TS
- #3rd in points in the paint (PITP)
- Was leading the league in points per possession (PPP)
- #1 in second-chance points
- Of all volume scorers, only Zion has a shorter average FGA distance
- Leading the league in rebounding

14 games from March 3rd to April 2nd:

- 28.8 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 2.8 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.6 bpg, 2.4 topg
- 60% FG, 74% FT, 65.4% TS

He was taking like 1 three a game during these stretches. Doubled his screening frequency and just spammed pick and rolls.

Kblaze8855
09-11-2023, 04:26 PM

as I understand it, the difference is supposed to be defense. I keep being told he’s potentially a generational rim protector, but I guess we will find out.

90sgoat
09-11-2023, 06:38 PM
as I understand it, the difference is supposed to be defense. I keep being told he’s potentially a generational rim protector, but I guess we will find out.

As is Porzingis.

Maybe not at rim, but in the paint.

Kristaps Porzingis stats from his career-best season:

Points Allowed Per Pick-and-Roll
1. Anthony Davis (0.91)
2. Steven Adams (0.92)
3. Giannis Antetokounmpo (0.92)
4. Kristaps Porzingis (0.93)
5. Walker Kessler (0.93)

That's defending the PnR, which is the most difficult for a big man.

Porzingis is an elite defender and an elite 3 point shooter and midrange shooter.

Wemby has some way to go to become as good as Porzingis. He most certainly isn't now and I doubt he will be as good as Porzingis was in his 2nd and 3rd season either. Wemby has bigger upside for sure, but Zingis was way ahead of Wemby in terms of skill.

Jimmy Rustler
09-11-2023, 07:41 PM

A little early to be making those kinds of assessments. I mean, let's at least see him play a few regular season games first.

red1
09-11-2023, 08:18 PM
he's going to ball from the jump

I still cant believe the spurs got this kid.

they're going to turn him into a GOAT candidate.

red1
09-11-2023, 08:22 PM
he's too young and frail to be ready to guard nba centers for a full season so it makes sense.

we already know he will spend a lot of time guarding the paint including guarding any attempts from any big-men in there. wemby giving help defense on possessions makes perfect sense because it will set him up perfectly to use his unreal length and timing to block shots coming from the weak-side while collins or another big tries to hold their ground, keeping opposing centers from getting too close to the basket.

they can be a very good interior defensive team immediately

bullettooth
09-11-2023, 10:47 PM
He was probably punished more last year in France than he will in a whole career in the can't touch you league(unless you're the offensive player throwing yourself into the defender)

NBA is kind of a joke... hard to watch when cheating is allowed.

Xiao Yao You
09-11-2023, 10:48 PM
As is Porzingis.

Maybe not at rim, but in the paint.

That's defending the PnR, which is the most difficult for a big man.

Porzingis is an elite defender and an elite 3 point shooter and midrange shooter.

Wemby has some way to go to become as good as Porzingis. He most certainly isn't now and I doubt he will be as good as Porzingis was in his 2nd and 3rd season either. Wemby has bigger upside for sure, but Zingis was way ahead of Wemby in terms of skill.

Wouldn't trust those stats. I've yet to se Kessler guard in space. He was in drop coverage all year

iamgine
09-11-2023, 11:16 PM
Just like how Tatum plays a lot of power forward

Nb1
09-12-2023, 05:46 AM
I just hope he realizes you don't need an outside shot to dominate on offense as a big man. Anthony Davis stopped shooting jumpers and was putting up crazy numbers before and after his injuries during the regular season. That relentless mindset of attacking the paint is what I hope he'll develop.

Anthony Davis first 23 games of the 2023 season before the injury:

- 29.3 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 2.7 apg, 1.4 spg, 2.3 bpg, 2.0 topg
- 59.3% FG, 82% FT, 68.6% TS
- #3rd in points in the paint (PITP)
- Was leading the league in points per possession (PPP)
- #1 in second-chance points
- Of all volume scorers, only Zion has a shorter average FGA distance
- Leading the league in rebounding

14 games from March 3rd to April 2nd:

- 28.8 ppg, 11.9 rpg, 2.8 apg, 0.7 spg, 1.6 bpg, 2.4 topg
- 60% FG, 74% FT, 65.4% TS

He was taking like 1 three a game during these stretches. Doubled his screening frequency and just spammed pick and rolls.

In the playoffs AD gave us many memorable moments scoring 11, 16, 12, etc points too …

Im Still Ballin
09-12-2023, 07:17 AM
In the playoffs AD gave us many memorable moments scoring 11, 16, 12, etc points too …

And? Premier jump-shooting big Karl-Anthony Towns put up a scintillating 18.2 ppg on 45.7% FG and 55.3% TS in the playoffs. And I don't need to contextualize those numbers because we all remember he played like trash.

Anthony Davis, on the other hand, had some huge scoring performances in the postseason. His WCF was fantastic.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 08:40 AM
And? Premier jump-shooting big Karl-Anthony Towns put up a scintillating 18.2 ppg on 45.7% FG and 55.3% TS in the playoffs. And I don't need to contextualize those numbers because we all remember he played like trash.

Anthony Davis, on the other hand, had some huge scoring performances in the postseason. His WCF was fantastic.

Davis being able to walk out on the court is fantastic. Doesn't happen often