PDA

View Full Version : Damian Lillard Trade Update

Lebron23
09-11-2023, 11:19 PM
From Twitter

NBA Central

Damian Lillard will not report to training camp if he’s traded to a destination other than Miami, per @ShamsCharania

“If a team, like Toronto for instance, were to trade for Damian Lillard, I do not believe Lillard would even report.”

(Via @TheRally )​

https://scontent.fmnl4-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/376915099_23904325409181413_820977232759707088_n.j pg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=49d041&_nc_ohc=Oh5L3Tk8ZFkAX9hca2W&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl4-2.fna&oh=00_AfDSIUb__g6FktPlOOS2VUVJEnIeptd2DmymJUvEueLA hw&oe=6504B8AB

BurningHammer
09-12-2023, 12:57 AM
If the deal is overwhelmingly in Raptors' favor, we don't need another Alonzo Mourning then.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 08:47 AM
Of course, Lillard wouldn’t be the first star player to land where he didn’t want to play. If the Blazers and a team other than Miami hammered out a deal that Portland deemed more desirable than what they could acquire through dealing with the Heat, sources say Lillard would show up to his new team, do his job and play to the best of his abilities (https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2023/09/damian-lillard-would-go-wherever-traded-despite-report-but-would-rival-team-risk-it.html).
– via Aaron Fentress @ Oregonian (https://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/2023/09/damian-lillard-would-go-wherever-traded-despite-report-but-would-rival-team-risk-it.html)

rawimpact
09-12-2023, 09:54 AM
Just unprofessional... keep him on the bench the rest of his contract

Real Men Wear Green
09-12-2023, 10:20 AM
this is how star players control their careers in the modern NBA. nothing new about it. And it works, you don't trade two starters and a bunch of future firsts for a guy that not only doesn't want to play for you but is willing to miss games and pay to force you to capitulate.
Just unprofessional... keep him on the bench the rest of his contractThis "cutting off your nose to spite your face." No team wants to take a massive asset like Lillaird and then not use him. The commissioner would have to do it.

rawimpact
09-12-2023, 10:31 AM
Players should never have the power to decide where they play unless they are truly a free agent. That's the whole reason why they're called a free agent versus a restricted.

This is equivalent to a team deciding not to pay a player because of their performance or lack of... or injury.

When they sign the contract, the team is obligated to pay, players are obligated to play. This is a breach and the NBA has allowed these demands because drama is bad publicity but this is getting out of hand. This is what keeps small teams that cannot entice free agents non-competitive.

I know this comes off as pro-owner, but really, it's pro-contract. Teams must pay the players, Players must play...

Johnny32
09-12-2023, 10:38 AM
remember when he used to get praised for his loyalty to por lol.

Johnny32
09-12-2023, 10:41 AM
Players should never have the power to decide where they play unless they are truly a free agent.

if they're under contract, i agree. they can let their feelings be known by asking out. even have a list...but should know nothing is a guarantee and you play it out wherever you're at.

FilmyCogTurner
09-12-2023, 12:41 PM
It's getting harder and harder to be a fan of the NBA.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2023, 01:26 PM
this is how star players control their careers in the modern NBA. nothing new about it. And it works, you don't trade two starters and a bunch of future firsts for a guy that not only doesn't want to play for you but is willing to miss games and pay to force you to capitulate.This "cutting off your nose to spite your face." No team wants to take a massive asset like Lillaird and then not use him. The commissioner would have to do it.

It would take a clever low salary team. If you’re flirting with the salary floor but have some assets? A team like the Rockets that paid Brooks and Vanvleet all that money just to get to the salary floor? you offer Portland something attractive enough to make the deal and if he refuses to come to training camp and decides to sit out you don’t pay his massive salary, but you’ve technically reached your salary floor threshold. That’s how you do it as an evil cheapskate. Plus….you tank even more because he’s not playing.

50 million you don’t have to pay, the ultimate tank commander, and you get to flex on the players and show them you can fight back without hurting yourself. If Portland takes draft picks delayed by maybe 2 years and a redundant young player?

Two petty owners could make that work and call his bluff.

bladefd
09-12-2023, 02:07 PM
It would take a clever low salary team. If you’re flirting with the salary floor but have some assets? A team like the Rockets that paid Brooks and Vanvleet all that money just to get to the salary floor? you offer Portland something attractive enough to make the deal and if he refuses to come to training camp and decides to sit out you don’t pay his massive salary, but you’ve technically reached your salary floor threshold. That’s how you do it as an evil cheapskate. Plus….you tank even more because he’s not playing.

50 million you don’t have to pay, the ultimate tank commander, and you get to flex on the players and show them you can fight back without hurting yourself. If Portland takes draft picks delayed by maybe 2 years and a redundant young player?

Isn't the salary guaranteed tho? I don't know what the courts would rule but players association would definitely fight

jayfan
09-12-2023, 02:31 PM
Lebron is the root of all of this.

RRR3
09-12-2023, 02:32 PM
Lebron is the root of all of this.

LeBron has never demanded a trade. Deranged.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2023, 04:58 PM
Isn't the salary guaranteed tho? I don't know what the courts would rule but players association would definitely fight

It’s guaranteed against a lot of things, but not against you refusing to play. If you literally just won’t show up, they don’t have to keep paying you. The way around that is to show up and half ass it but not everyone is low enough to do that.

coin24
09-12-2023, 05:45 PM
Tired of hearing about this rubbish.. should never be made public until after the trade.
Very unprofessional all round.

Dame is a career loser anyway

RRR3
09-12-2023, 05:55 PM
Tired of hearing about this rubbish.. should never be made public until after the trade.

'shew is a career virgin.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2023, 06:16 PM

you’re tired of it, but your last sentence is the entire reason players do this. Aldrich left after dang second or third season and he had six or seven years with CJ McCollum or Nurkic as his best teammate.

how many players in the history of the game wouldn’t be career losers under those circumstances?

sure he decided to stay but obviously those teams were never going to win, so I’m not sure how them not winning really needs to enter into any evaluation of him as a player. But it absolutely will. Which is why you see players destroy franchises and team up to win.

Long as the people who don’t bail on bad and average teams get called losers they might as well behave this way and get cheap Ws. The respect for loyalty only lasts for so long.

Jasper
09-12-2023, 07:37 PM
Just unprofessional... keep him on the bench the rest of his contract

OP is propaganda and speculation.

However the NBA and players union should have this figured out by now.

If a trade doesn't occur , and player does not report under his current contract to play and suit up / I think the NBA should put in a rule:

Banned for 1 year , his current contract void.

Not to say the players make the league , but to strong arm any franchise into creating super teams , does not even playing field(.)

beasted
09-12-2023, 07:49 PM
Players should never have the power to decide where they play unless they are truly a free agent. That's the whole reason why they're called a free agent versus a restricted.

This is equivalent to a team deciding not to pay a player because of their performance or lack of... or injury.

When they sign the contract, the team is obligated to pay, players are obligated to play. This is a breach and the NBA has allowed these demands because drama is bad publicity but this is getting out of hand. This is what keeps small teams that cannot entice free agents non-competitive.

I know this comes off as pro-owner, but really, it's pro-contract. Teams must pay the players, Players must play...
If you're not pro owner, I'd think your stance would be to allow teams and players to mutually restructure or terminate a contract, which you never mentioned, so I'm not sure I believe you.

At the surface level I agree with your general sentiment that contracts mean something. However, I think this concept of honoring a contract goes hand in hand with honoring a commitment. Taking any logical stance, the Blazers broke their commitment, so in turn Dame is allowed to break his contract. Right?

I'll toss in an analogy. You are renting a house from me. Things started out well, but over time of the 10 years you've been there, things in the house started to get run down and needing replacement or upgrade as nothing has been touched since the day you moved in. When the lease is set to renew, I convince you I'm going to overhaul the place and it will be good as new. Given the long-standing work relationship, you take my word and I convince you to sign on for a 2 year lease agreement to ensure my renovation investment goes toward someone who's sticking around. I begin to "overhaul" the apartment bringing in used appliances instead of new ones, replacing the stick-on tile with carpets rather than wood/laminate, and I piece-meal it by taking weeks upon weeks to do this while I inconvenience you by doing these repairs mostly on your weekends when you're supposed be getting relaxation. We talk about these issues and I keep telling you to be patient, wait until the kitchen cabinets are done, new paint is in and I redo the backyard deck and gazebo. You're not sure how long it will take or whether the changes will meet your desires given the first couple did not.

Is it fair for you to ask me to break the lease without penalty and give the full deposit back because there's another place you'd like you go? I think so.

Real Men Wear Green
09-12-2023, 07:54 PM

That could work but I don't think that's the Rockets true rebuilding plan. That kind of maneuver requires a Donald Sterling. Rebuilding teams don't want this kind of mess. Especially because Portland is looking to make sure they get market value.

coin24
09-12-2023, 08:48 PM
you’re tired of it, but your last sentence is the entire reason players do this. Aldrich left after dang second or third season and he had six or seven years with CJ McCollum or Nurkic as his best teammate.

how many players in the history of the game wouldn’t be career losers under those circumstances?

sure he decided to stay but obviously those teams were never going to win, so I’m not sure how them not winning really needs to enter into any evaluation of him as a player. But it absolutely will. Which is why you see players destroy franchises and team up to win.

Long as the people who don’t bail on bad and average teams get called losers they might as well behave this way and get cheap Ws. The respect for loyalty only lasts for so long.

He signed the massive extension to stay there, full well knowing they’re a shitty mid franchise..

Now he wants to command where he’s traded? Pathetic

Also don’t blame the teammates, dame routinely no shows when the going gets tough

90sgoat
09-12-2023, 09:07 PM
he had six or seven years with CJ McCollum or Nurkic as his best teammate.

That's a whole lot better than what Luka had. Much better than what Westbrook has had.

CJ McCollum is an all star and Nurkic is a very serviceable center. CJ is clutch as **** and very underrated.

Dame has underperformed big time for supposedly being a star.

Real Men Wear Green
09-12-2023, 09:07 PM
He signed the massive extension to stay there, full well knowing they’re a shitty mid franchise..

Also don’t blame the teammates, dame routinely no shows when the going gets tough

He's not a rapist, it's just an ugly business maneuver. He has a contract and they have a collective bargaining agreement that has given him and others this kind of power.. If it's that big of a problem they can negotiate something else. There's nothing that the NBA lawyers couldn't think up an answer to. The bottom line is they are making billions of dollars and don't care nearly as much about star trade demands as fans do.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 09:09 PM
That's a whole lot better than what Luka had. Much better than what Westbrook has had.

CJ McCollum is an all star and Nurkic is a very serviceable center. CJ is clutch as **** and very underrated.

I noticed a couple years ago when CJ was still on Portland that his stats were similar to the much more hyped Mitchell at the time and he's been even better with NO. Gobert was expected to win titles with Mitchell if you ask the trolls

Kblaze8855
09-12-2023, 09:13 PM

And “showing” would be what?

We have a society that calls people who wins multiple titles losers. You think he’d shed the “career loser” label for the extra round or two he could have won the last decade?

You’d be calling him a loser no matter what because there’s nothing he could do to win with those teams.

Kblaze8855
09-12-2023, 09:20 PM

it isn’t much better than what anybody has had. As easy as it is to score these days when teams are going to routinely drop 120? It’s hard not to have a number two scoring 18 or 22 a game given the minutes.

Cj and Nurkic aren’t the kinda help anyone expects to win with. Much much much better players than Dame routinely fail to make noise with much better lineups than he’s had.

2-3 hall of famers come together to not do shit pretty often these days.

Hes not out here on a team with 3 stars and a couple extra noteworthy types.

You can say he made his bed but you can’t say the bed should have provided much more than it has.

Spurs m8
09-13-2023, 03:20 AM
He's always been a b1tch...who's surprised?

Go earn your money or fvck off

Spurs m8
09-13-2023, 03:21 AM
And “showing” would be what?

We have a society that calls people who wins multiple titles losers. You think he’d shed the “career loser” label for the extra round or two he could have won the last decade?

You’d be calling him a loser no matter what because there’s nothing he could do to win with those teams.

If they win legit titles, no one is calling them a loser

rawimpact
09-13-2023, 02:31 PM
If you're not pro owner, I'd think your stance would be to allow teams and players to mutually restructure or terminate a contract, which you never mentioned, so I'm not sure I believe you.

At the surface level I agree with your general sentiment that contracts mean something. However, I think this concept of honoring a contract goes hand in hand with honoring a commitment. Taking any logical stance, the Blazers broke their commitment, so in turn Dame is allowed to break his contract. Right?

I'll toss in an analogy. You are renting a house from me. Things started out well, but over time of the 10 years you've been there, things in the house started to get run down and needing replacement or upgrade as nothing has been touched since the day you moved in. When the lease is set to renew, I convince you I'm going to overhaul the place and it will be good as new. Given the long-standing work relationship, you take my word and I convince you to sign on for a 2 year lease agreement to ensure my renovation investment goes toward someone who's sticking around. I begin to "overhaul" the apartment bringing in used appliances instead of new ones, replacing the stick-on tile with carpets rather than wood/laminate, and I piece-meal it by taking weeks upon weeks to do this while I inconvenience you by doing these repairs mostly on your weekends when you're supposed be getting relaxation. We talk about these issues and I keep telling you to be patient, wait until the kitchen cabinets are done, new paint is in and I redo the backyard deck and gazebo. You're not sure how long it will take or whether the changes will meet your desires given the first couple did not.

Is it fair for you to ask me to break the lease without penalty and give the full deposit back because there's another place you'd like you go? I think so.

Sure I don't think I have anything against termination of a contract but not restructure as it would allow an unfair advantage with cap space... I mean the amnesty clause in 2011 allowed teams to cut a player off the roster while still paying them... which makes them a free agent to sign wherever but the same team because they could see the same issue happening... restructuring in the middle of a contract could lead to superteams/unfair advantages.

What commitment are you alleging the Blazers did not honor? If you are alleging the commitment to win a championship then that is complete BS. There have been numerous greats that have never accomplished that feat, should they have been able to void their contract allowing them to bandwagon?

I'm not going to respond to your analogy because it's such a stretch from what we're actually even talking about.

beasted
09-14-2023, 05:39 AM
Sure I don't think I have anything against termination of a contract but not restructure as it would allow an unfair advantage with cap space... I mean the amnesty clause in 2011 allowed teams to cut a player off the roster while still paying them... which makes them a free agent to sign wherever but the same team because they could see the same issue happening... restructuring in the middle of a contract could lead to superteams/unfair advantages.

What commitment are you alleging the Blazers did not honor? If you are alleging the commitment to win a championship then that is complete BS. There have been numerous greats that have never accomplished that feat, should they have been able to void their contract allowing them to bandwagon?

I'm not going to respond to your analogy because it's such a stretch from what we're actually even talking about.

I think the analogy is relevant. You make a clear verbal commitment to do one thing and do the opposite.

Whether the commitment was to try to win a championship, build a playoff team, or simply field a competitive team, they've failed on all fronts.

Why should you expect the player to want to continue to play there? Ultimately he's not property, you don't own him. They drafted him a whole 11 years ago. Financially they got their money's worth out of taking a chance by drafting him. I don't see a reason to spoil the relationship, distract the team, and damper the fan base. Just make a reasonable trade where you get solid value in return.

And by restructure, I meant less years, maybe not less money.

97 bulls
09-14-2023, 08:25 AM

Doncic has Kyrie Irving as his running mate now after being in the NBA for 5 years. Westbrook has played with multiple MVPs and future hall of famers.

CJ McCollum is good. But on a championship team? He should be the 3rd or maybe even 4th beast player.