PDA

View Full Version : 100 Greatest Point Guards of All-Time - SLAM Magazine

L.Kizzle
09-12-2023, 03:21 PM
https://slamgoods.com/cdn/shop/products/gold-metal-top-100-nba-point-guards-of-all-time-d94-384813.jpg?v=1687949199

1 Magic Johnson
2 Stephen Curry
3 Isiah Thomas
4 John Stockton
5 LeBron James
6 Oscar Robertson
7 Allen Iverson
8 Steve Nash
9 Chris Paul
10 Jason Kidd
11 Jerry West
12 Walt Frazier
13 Bob Cousy
14 Nate Tiny Archibald
15 James Harden
16 Damian Lillard
17 Kyrie Irving
18 Gary Payton
19 Tony Parker
20 Lenny Wilkens
21 Russell Westbrook
22 Chauncey Billups
23 Luka Doncic
24 Derrick Rose
25 Penny Hardaway
26 Kevin Johnson
27 Mark Jackson
28 Deron Williams
29 Gilbert Arenas
30 Ja Morant
31 Dennis Johnson
32 Stephon Marbury
33 Tim Hardaway
34 Baron Davis
35 Dave Bing
36 Hal Greer
37 Sidney Moncrief
38 Kyle Lowry
39 Norm Nixon
40 Alvin Robertson
41 Trae Young
42 Sam Cassell
43 De'Aaron Fox
44 John Wall
45 Rajon Rondo
46 Maurice Cheeks
47 Gail Goodrich
48 Rod Strickland
49 Nick Van Exel
50 Andre Miller
51 Mike Conley
52 Fat Lever
53 Steve Francis
54 Terry Porter
55 Micheal Ray Richardson
56 Slater Martin
57 Kevin Porter
58 Mark Price
59 Kemba Walker
60 John Lucas
61 Jrue Holiday
62 Jason Williams
63 Jamal Murray
64 Isaiah Thomas
65 Gus Williams
66 Mookie Blaylock
67 Terrell Brandon
68 Guy Rogers
69 Calvin Murphy
70 Muggsy Bogues
71 Mike Bibby
72 Doc Rivers
73 Damon Stoudamire
74 Kenny Anderson
75 Avery Johnson
76 Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
77 Jalen Brunson
78 LaMelo Ball
79 D'Angelo Russell
80 Kenny Smith
81 Bob Davies
82 Reggie Theus
83 Scott Skiles
84 Ricky Rubio
85 Fred VanVleet
86 KC Jones
87 Derek Fisher
88 BJ Armstrong
89 Ron Harper
90 Derek Harper
91 Steve Kerr
92 Norm Van Lier
93 Jameer Nelson
94 Darius Garland
95 Tyrese Haliburton
96 Andy Phillip
97 Ernie DiGregorio
98 Walt Hazzard
99 Michael Adams
100 Rafer Alston

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 03:25 PM
Kerr, Alston, Fisher, Haper, Rubio, K. Smith, D'Angelo, J. Williams... :roll:

No Deron Williams or Rickey Green :facepalm

Im Still Ballin
09-12-2023, 03:31 PM
Any information on criteria/methodology?

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 03:32 PM

rings would appear to be the main one with Harper, Kerr and Fisher making it

SouBeachTalents
09-12-2023, 03:35 PM
Absolutely horrible list with zero consistency. From my recollection Slam usually has terrible rankings.

L.Kizzle

Deron Williams is 28. Green should be here.

L.Kizzle

SLAM usually has no criteria.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 03:36 PM
Deron Williams is 28. Green should be here.

Green was one of the best pg's in the league for a few seasons unlike the guys I mentioned

L.Kizzle
09-12-2023, 03:37 PM
rings would appear to be the main one with Harper, Kerr and Fisher making it

Ron Harper would make a Shooting Guard list but not take up a PG spot. Fisher is in an okay slot. Kerr would get axed.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 03:42 PM
Ron Harper would make a Shooting Guard list but not take up a PG spot. Fisher is in an okay slot. Kerr would get axed.

Haper certainly put up better numbers as a shooting guard. Doubt he's top 100 though. Fisher was a great role player not a great pg. Bringing the ball up court and spotting up for 3 isn't enough. Kerr was a worse version of that but a better shooter

L.Kizzle
09-12-2023, 03:54 PM
Haper certainly put up better numbers as a shooting guard. Doubt he's top 100 though. Fisher was a great role player not a great pg. Bringing the ball up court and spotting up for 3 isn't enough. Kerr was a worse version of that but a better shooter

There are at least 10 players known for other positions taking up spots that's shouldn't be here. LeBron and James Harden are two along with Ron Harper. Iverson as well.

ShawkFactory
09-12-2023, 03:56 PM
I didn't watch him play at all but Gus Williams at 65 seems insane. I feel like he could be 20-30 spots higher.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 03:59 PM
I didn't watch him play at all but Gus Williams at 65 seems insane. I feel like he could be 20-30 spots higher.

looks like a plumber. That costs you at least that many spots

SouBeachTalents
09-12-2023, 04:03 PM
That's how I felt looking at Price & Jrue, I find it hard to believe they aren't at minimum top 50 point guards ever, though it's admittedly impossible to tell what criteria they're using here.

RRR3
09-12-2023, 04:08 PM
Everyone knows John Stockton was a better player than LeBron. Great list.

Wally450
09-12-2023, 04:17 PM
Ja Morant isn't better than Rondo.

RachlNicholsazz
09-12-2023, 04:17 PM
Jason Kidd too high
Gary Payton too low
If you switched their places it would be more accurate

Kblaze8855
09-12-2023, 06:18 PM

As a fellow defense lover I know is old enough to remember him I’m surprised you laugh at Derek Harper.

Xiao Yao You
09-12-2023, 06:49 PM
As a fellow defense lover I know is old enough to remember him I’m surprised you laugh at Derek Harper.

Ron Harper. Wasn't a fan of Derek though

Jasper
09-12-2023, 07:41 PM
61 61 61 :facepalm

Jasper
09-12-2023, 07:43 PM
That's how I felt looking at Price & Jrue, I find it hard to believe they aren't at minimum top 50 point guards ever, though it's admittedly impossible to tell what criteria they're using here.

jrue is top 25 ... maybe based on stats/ but i will tak his stats an day.

RRR3
09-12-2023, 07:44 PM
duhhhhhhhhhhh
:facepalm

ILLsmak
09-13-2023, 01:44 PM
Ron Harper. Wasn't a fan of Derek though

at least he's not a bum tho haha.

Yeah, these lists are really weird. It's like they start naming names after awhile. Some of the ones that I thought were weird that weren't mentioned are...

Fkning Van Exel. That dude was hot trash and cost the Lakers every ****ING YEAR. He'd always get sonned by Stockton. He played PG and he could do some things, but he lacked what is necessary to be a PG. He's def not top 50. And that's top 50 with including people who aren't even PGs haha. w t actual.

Isiah Thomas like the little one, wat. Guys like Mookie and Muggsy and Damon Stoudy should be higher. Terrell Brandon. It's like they made their list then remembered all those guys existed and decided to add them in a block. Steve Kerr and D fish are def sus. There are 100, sure, but I'm sure if you gave me some time I could come up with 100 guys. There are some back ups that prol could be on there. Like I was talking about Tyus Jones in another thread. Who doesn't take him over Steve Kerr and D Fish? I know I would. Fish does have some moments, though, but he was like Kerr, a great performer in his position. It's not like if you are taking guys in an all time draft you want to pick them up to push PG for your team.

But yeah the real tragedy is the past 50 point when you see how many classic dudes are there like Kenny Anderson and the aforementioned ones. Abdul-Rauf. Even Doc and Avery, at least those guys were 'legit PGs.' They def seemed to run out of names and just start naming stuff. lol Coming in at 100... Rafer... and let's all be real, there's no way there are 99 PGs in NBA history better than him.

If you're gonna do a list, you should really do it well, and I'd love to see the write ups for these guys. Esp the Rafer one. Haha. I wonder how it feels to be 100. I bet dudes are calling him up. OH SHIT WE FORGOT RAFER.

There is def no consistent criteria. I can tell you that just by looking, and that's w/o knowing who all of those people are. There are like 3-4 dudes I dono who they are.

Edit:

jrue is top 25 ...

I dono bud haha.

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 01:51 PM
at least he's not a bum tho haha.

Yeah, these lists are really weird. It's like they start naming names after awhile. Some of the ones that I thought were weird that weren't mentioned are...

Fkning Van Exel. That dude was hot trash and cost the Lakers every ****ING YEAR. He'd always get sonned by Stockton. He played PG and he could do some things, but he lacked what is necessary to be a PG. He's def not top 50. And that's top 50 with including people who aren't even PGs haha. w t actual.

Isiah Thomas like the little one, wat. Guys like Mookie and Muggsy and Damon Stoudy should be higher. Terrell Brandon. It's like they made their list then remembered all those guys existed and decided to add them in a block. Steve Kerr and D fish are def sus. There are 100, sure, but I'm sure if you gave me some time I could come up with 100 guys. There are some back ups that prol could be on there. Like I was talking about Tyus Jones in another thread. Who doesn't take him over Steve Kerr and D Fish? I know I would. Fish does have some moments, though, but he was like Kerr, a great performer in his position. It's not like if you are taking guys in an all time draft you want to pick them up to push PG for your team.

But yeah the real tragedy is the past 50 point when you see how many classic dudes are there like Kenny Anderson and the aforementioned ones. Abdul-Rauf. Even Doc and Avery, at least those guys were 'legit PGs.' They def seemed to run out of names and just start naming stuff. lol Coming in at 100... Rafer... and let's all be real, there's no way there are 99 PGs in NBA history better than him.

If you're gonna do a list, you should really do it well, and I'd love to see the write ups for these guys. Esp the Rafer one. Haha. I wonder how it feels to be 100. I bet dudes are calling him up. OH SHIT WE FORGOT RAFER.

There is def no consistent criteria. I can tell you that just by looking, and that's w/o knowing who all of those people are. There are like 3-4 dudes I dono who they are.

Edit:

I dono bud haha.

-Smak

actually looking at Derek Harper's stats and on paper I like what I see. Defeinitely not a Bum. Efficient, good 3 pt shooter for his day and was known for D. Didn't like him at the time for sure though even before he refused to come to Utah and said "You go live in Utah".

Axe
09-13-2023, 02:19 PM
Ja morant at 30. Ridiculous. :roll:

And it's interesting to see they got mike conley there as well. :lebronamazed:

ILLsmak
09-13-2023, 02:22 PM
actually looking at Derek Harper's stats and on paper I like what I see. Defeinitely not a Bum. Efficient, good 3 pt shooter for his day and was known for D. Didn't like him at the time for sure though even before he refused to come to Utah and said "You go live in Utah".

I liked him, but I'm an ILL guy.

I got some!! I needed some time. Goran Dragic BOOM. Ez. Marcus Smart DPOY, how can you leave him off, after leading Boston to such good seasons, too? If you're gonna do Bron and Harden, why not Pippen? I also like Bobby Jackson even tho he was a career bench guy, I get the feeling he could have pushed a team as a starter in a different circumstance. He did some things on those good SAC teams off the bench.

AND if we're throwing up Kerr and Fish, where's MARIO CHAMLERS THO?

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 02:23 PM
Ja morant at 30. Ridiculous. :roll:

And it's interesting to see they got mike conley there as well. :lebronamazed:

Conley shouldn't be there? He's better than a lot of the guys on there for sure.

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 02:25 PM
I liked him, but I'm an ILL guy.

I got some!! I needed some time. Goran Dragic BOOM. Ez. Marcus Smart DPOY, how can you leave him off, after leading Boston to such good seasons, too? If you're gonna do Bron and Harden, why not Pippen? I also like Bobby Jackson even tho he was a career bench guy, I get the feeling he could have pushed a team as a starter in a different circumstance. He did some things on those good SAC teams off the bench.

AND if we're throwing up Kerr and Fish, where's MARIO CHAMLERS THO?

-Smak

Jackson better than a lot of those guys but a 6th man more than a top 100 pg

Paxon was better than Kerr or Chalmers. Probably a better all around player than Fisher as well. None of them belong

John8204
09-13-2023, 02:44 PM
3 Isiah Thomas
12 Walt Frazier
14 Nate Tiny Archibald
18 Gary Payton
31 Dennis Johnson
35 Dave Bing
36 Hal Greer
45 Rajon Rondo
46 Maurice Cheeks
56 Slater Martin
86 KC Jones
87 Derek Fisher
89 Ron Harper

Horrible takes 23 rings and you can't find room in the top fifty for Martin, Jones, Fisher, and Harper.

Just throwing Greer and Bing in the mid thirties smh

taking the two best PG's of the 70's and not puting them in the top ten

Overrating Isiah Thomas over guys that were productive for literally twice as long and putting him over Oscar

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 02:55 PM
3 Isiah Thomas
12 Walt Frazier
14 Nate Tiny Archibald
18 Gary Payton
31 Dennis Johnson
35 Dave Bing
36 Hal Greer
45 Rajon Rondo
46 Maurice Cheeks
56 Slater Martin
86 KC Jones
87 Derek Fisher
89 Ron Harper

Horrible takes 23 rings and you can't find room in the top fifty for Martin, Jones, Fisher, and Harper.

Overrating Isiah Thomas over guys that were productive for literally twice as long and putting him over Oscar

Fisher and Harper aren't great pg's no matter how many rings they have. The pg in those systems sometimes brought the ball up the court, sometimes defended the other pg and spotted up

John8204
09-13-2023, 03:07 PM
Fisher and Harper aren't great pg's no matter how many rings they have. The pg in those systems sometimes brought the ball up the court, sometimes defended the other pg and spotted up

You play 250 post season games like Fisher I don't care if you are a 1-1-1 guy....you pay respect to that. Harper ran point with Jordan(Diva), Rodman(headcase), and Pippen(bitch) that's three miracles he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame he should be canonized.

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 03:36 PM
You play 250 post season games like Fisher I don't care if you are a 1-1-1 guy....you pay respect to that. Harper ran point with Jordan(Diva), Rodman(headcase), and Pippen(bitch) that's three miracles he shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame he should be canonized.

Pippen and MJ usually had the ball. Pippen was the closest thing to a pg. Who guarded who depended on the matchups. 11 pts and 3 ass a game his best statistical year. Top 100 role player maybe. Top 5 Phil Jackson pg maybe. None of them are top 100

L.Kizzle
09-13-2023, 04:54 PM
3 Isiah Thomas
12 Walt Frazier
14 Nate Tiny Archibald
18 Gary Payton
31 Dennis Johnson
35 Dave Bing
36 Hal Greer
45 Rajon Rondo
46 Maurice Cheeks
56 Slater Martin
86 KC Jones
87 Derek Fisher
89 Ron Harper

I don't think Bing and Greer were PGs tho. SGs.

L.Kizzle
09-13-2023, 05:04 PM
I don't think Bing and Greer were PGs tho. SGs.

Just check b ball reference. Greer is a SG every season but his last. Bing is a PG every season but his last two.

ILLsmak
09-13-2023, 05:08 PM
Pippen and MJ usually had the ball. Pippen was the closest thing to a pg. Who guarded who depended on the matchups. 11 pts and 3 ass a game his best statistical year. Top 100 role player maybe. Top 5 Phil Jackson pg maybe. None of them are top 100

Harp did some nice work w/ Chi and w/ LAL, too, (bet most people aren't even remembering LAL,) but I assume they were giving him a lot of credit for his LAC days ( didn't even think about Cleveland, too early I guess.) Which... he wasn't a PG tho. He guarded PGs on those triangle teams. Triangle PGs should sorta be disqualified.

I also think Lonzo should be on this list, but he's always injured. He's a machine tho... killer on D, great instincts and can hit a little now, too, but always blowing his ish out.

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 05:29 PM
Harp did some nice work w/ Chi and w/ LAL, too, (bet most people aren't even remembering LAL,) but I assume they were giving him a lot of credit for his LAC days ( didn't even think about Cleveland, too early I guess.) Which... he wasn't a PG tho. He guarded PGs on those triangle teams. Triangle PGs should sorta be disqualified.

I also think Lonzo should be on this list, but he's always injured. He's a machine tho... killer on D, great instincts and can hit a little now, too, but always blowing his ish out.

-Smak

Making a lay up is a prerequisite something that is still an adventure for Ball

ILLsmak
09-13-2023, 05:39 PM
Making a lay up is a prerequisite something that is still an adventure for Ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw7gk8pcnks

dude has some of the best hands on D in NBA history tho. Some of the things he does are mind blowing.

-Smak

theaussieguy
09-13-2023, 05:50 PM
No curry at 1 is an insult to the game. Sick of this rose tinted reimagining of Magic. Dude ain't shit compared to Curry.

imdaman99
09-13-2023, 08:26 PM
Can't believe they put this scrub westbrook at 21. He's not even the 21st best point guard in the current NBA. They are so biased putting him that high

Baller234
09-13-2023, 08:41 PM
I can't tell what's more disqualifying.

Having Ron Harper on the list or insinuating that he actually ran point for the Bulls.

https://media0.giphy.com/media/J2DYCDA15pTau86IGr/giphy.gif

L.Kizzle
09-13-2023, 08:44 PM
Can't believe they put this scrub westbrook at 21. He's not even the 21st best point guard in the current NBA. They are so biased putting him that high

He should actually be higher than 21.

L.Kizzle
09-14-2023, 07:10 PM
Just took another peep, no Jo Jo White. Hall of Famer, 7 time All-Star, two time All-NBA 2nd Team and Finals MVP. They're either counting him as a SG (which he wasn't, Paul Westphal and Charlie Scott were the SG) or they totally missed him.

Xiao Yao You
09-14-2023, 07:29 PM
Just took another peep, no Jo Jo White. Hall of Famer, 7 time All-Star, two time All-NBA 2nd Team and Finals MVP. They're either counting him as a SG (which he wasn't, Paul Westphal and Charlie Scott were the SG) or they totally missed him.

no room for him with all the triangle role players included

Norcaliblunt
09-14-2023, 10:19 PM
Goran Dragic should be on there