PDA

View Full Version : The NBA releases its Player Participation Policy

Im Still Ballin
09-13-2023, 02:44 PM
https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2023/09/NBA-Player-Participation-Policy.pdf

The 5 rules:

Multiple Star Players Unavailable – Teams must manage their roster to ensure that no more than one star player is unavailable for the same game.

National TV and In-Season Tournament – Teams must ensure that star players are available for national TV and In-Season Tournament games.

Home-Road Balance – Teams must maintain a balance between the number of one-game absences for a star player in road games and the number of one game absences for a star player in home games, with a preference under the Policy for such absences to occur in home games. (In addition, other unusual or atypical patterns of missed games involving star players may also be impermissible.)

Shutdowns – Teams must refrain from any long-term shutdown (or near shutdown) whereby a star player ceases participating in games or begins to play a materially reduced role in circumstances affecting the integrity of the game.

Player Resting – Teams must, if resting a healthy player, ensure the player is present at the game and visible to fans.

Investigations

Automatic investigation if (i) multiple stars miss a game, (ii) a star misses a national TV or tournament game, or (iii) team personnel give inconsistent statements about a player's availability.

Discretionary investigation: if a player has a pattern of 1-game absences on the road or is shutdown longterm.

Exemptions

Geezer exemptions: teams can seek pre-approval to rest stars on back-to-backs if they're 35+, played 34,000 minutes, or played 1000+ games.

Serious injury: teams can seek pre-approval for stars recovering from serious injuries to rest on back-to-backs. The exemption is rescinded if a player actually plays in a back-to-back.

One-per-team rule: Teams can't use either exemption for multiple players in the same game.

No exemption for National TV or Tournament: can't use the exemption for national TV or tournament games unless both ends of the back to back are national TV or tournament games.

Personal reasons (birth of child, death in family) or other rare/unusual circumstances, with league approval

End-of-season-flexibility: rest a star player in the team’s last regular season game after the team has clinched a specific Playoff seed, or to rest a pre-approved player with prior serious or unusual injury history in the team’s final regular season game

Penalties

First Violation: The team will be fined $100,000.

Second Violation: The team will be fined $250,000.

Subsequent Violations: For each successive violation, the team will be fined $1 million more than its pits previous penalty (i.e., third offense results in a $1.25 million fine, etc.).

rawimpact
09-13-2023, 02:48 PM
I'm interested to see how they define a star player. I assume they're not going by all-star since not every team has one or more.

But i'm curious as to why this only applies to star players and not supporting/role players.

Im Still Ballin
09-13-2023, 02:49 PM
The geezer exemption is hilarious. The NBA equivalent of becoming a senior citizen.

Im Still Ballin
09-13-2023, 02:50 PM
I'm interested to see how they define a star player. I assume they're not going by all-star since not every team has one or more.

But i'm curious as to why this only applies to star players and not supporting/role players.

What the league considers a "star" player:

Under current discussions among team and league personnel, a star is defined by someone who's made an All-Star or All-NBA team in the past three seasons, sources said.

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 02:54 PM
most teams won't care for a few hundred thousand

rawimpact
09-13-2023, 03:36 PM
most teams won't care for a few hundred thousand

Uhh 100K is a lot and that's just the first offense

But I mean we're talking health, there are lots of excuses a player can claim to not dress.

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 03:36 PM
Uhh 100K is a lot and that's just the first offense

But I mean we're talking health, there are lots of excuses a player can claim to not dress.

pocket change to billionaires

John8204
09-13-2023, 04:35 PM
So what keeps teams from running out stars for five minutes and then sitting them for the game?

Xiao Yao You
09-13-2023, 04:36 PM
So what keeps teams from running out stars for five minutes and then sitting them for the game?

be a new policy next year for that scenario

SouBeachTalents
09-13-2023, 04:39 PM
I'll say it again, there's no way for the league to verify if a player is actually "injured" or not, so I don't see how this keeps teams from claiming players are too injured to play and sitting them out.

Im Still Ballin
09-13-2023, 04:51 PM
I'll say it again, there's no way for the league to verify if a player is actually "injured" or not, so I don't see how this keeps teams from claiming players are too injured to play and sitting them out.

A way for the league to recoup some money from Kyrie and Ben Simmons' annual antics?

Real Men Wear Green
09-13-2023, 05:51 PM
It's too difficult to call a team's bluff on claimed injuries. But I think they'll save it for the flagrant offenders. This won't get rid of load management but I expect there to be some impact.

FultzNationRISE
09-13-2023, 07:05 PM
The best single step the league could possibly take to improve the quality of the product across the board is to shorten the season.

And of course thats the one thing theyll simply never do, because they aint gonna sacrifice money to make the product better and more enjoyable. Instead theyll ADD tournaments :roll:

Baller234
09-13-2023, 07:38 PM
The best single step the league could possibly take to improve the quality of the product across the board is to shorten the season.

And of course thats the one thing theyll simply never do, because they aint gonna sacrifice money to make the product better and more enjoyable. Instead theyll ADD tournaments :roll:

Yup. If the schedule made sense, players would be looking for any excuse they can to play because every game would matter.

It's not like these teams and these players are resting because they don't want to play. It's because they view these games as expendable in the grand scheme of the larger playoff hunt.