PDA

View Full Version : What's the biggest shot in franchise history?

Da_Realist
09-13-2023, 06:14 PM
What is the biggest shot in your franchise's history? Tell us and then explain why.

Jimmy Rustler
09-13-2023, 07:04 PM
Bulls: Jordan's finals game-winner against the Jazz. Shouldn't need a "why" explanation.

Da_Realist
09-13-2023, 08:00 PM
I'll just throw a couple out there.

Chicago -- obviously MJ Game 6 in 98 but is Paxson's three in 93 less important? Both were shots to win the championship. Both shots overcame a deficit on the road.

Houston -- 1995 First Round Game 5 (Do or Die Game). Hakeem hit an impossible shot from the baseline that bounced off the backboard near the end of the game that helped the Rockets put away the Jazz
OR
1995 WCSF Game 7 Mario Elie

Indiana -- either Rik Smits 1995 ECF Game 4 shot against Orlando or Reggie's 98 ECF Game 4 shot against Chicago

LA Lakers -- either 1987 Finals Game 4 Magic Johnson or 2002 WCF Game 4 Robert Horry

Detroit -- 1990 Finals Game 5 Vinnie Johnson

Miami -- 2013 Finals Game 6 Ray Allen

Cleveland -- 2016 Finals Game 7 Kyrie Irving

San Antonio -- 2005 Finals Game 5 Robert Horry

SouBeachTalents
09-13-2023, 08:25 PM
Horry's shot was clearly bigger than Magic's, his came while down 2-1 while Magic had a 2-1 head, and the Lakers had HCA in the '87 series while the '02 team did not.

I think Jordan's shot was bigger than Paxson's because if Jordan misses in '98, they'd have to go to Game 7 with a hindered Pippen and would have likely needed Jordan to drop 40+ points again to win, which I don't think he had in him to do b2b games at his age. If Paxson misses, you still have peak Jordan and a healthy Pippen ready to go.

I'm honestly not even sure what Hakeem shot you're referencing, I even just watched the end of the game and he didn't make any crazy shot, the Rockets mostly made FT's. In any event, Elie is the clear choice here. I'd also put Kenny Smith's 3 in Game 1 of the Finals way ahead of whatever shot Hakeem hit, that after Nick Anderson's debacle completely changed the course of that series.

For Boston, it'd have to be the Sam Jones GW in Game 4 of the '69 Finals.

FultzNationRISE
09-13-2023, 08:32 PM
For me I pretty much have three teams that I've always kind of been a "diehard from day 1" supporter of. The Cavs, Heat, and Lakers.

Biggest shot in Cavs history is Lebron's left handed free throw. Even tho he didnt make it, the unfathomable degree of guts and inspiration in that moment still blows our collective minds as basketball fans. When a guy is hurt that badly and still lays it on the line for your franchise, you know you have arrived as an organization. That was special asf.

For the Heat I think the biggest shot in franchise history was Lebron's late game-seven dagger against the Spurs where he single handedly iced the win for their second consecutive championship. So clutch, so smooth, so Lebron.

Lakers? This one is easy. It was the shot when Lebron Raymone James passed Kareem as the greatest scorer in the game's history. Probably the most iconic single shot in sports history. I'm literally weeping as I type this just thinking about it.

Wally450
09-13-2023, 08:32 PM
Bird's steal, pass, and layup by Dennis Johnson.

8Ball
09-13-2023, 08:34 PM
Chicago: Paxson, Steve Kerr, and Jordan's shot are the 3 most important and equally important shots in that franchise.

Lakers: Horry / Magic's skyhook vs Boston

Cleveland: Kyrie 3

Miami: Ray Allen

Golden State: Curry 3 in OKC

Portland: Lillard 3 over OKC

Dallas: Dirk 2 over Bosh Game 3

Raptors: Kawhi Leonard game 7

Naero
09-13-2023, 09:36 PM
For the Bucks, it's Jrue's go-ahead layup in Game 3 against the Nets in 2021. The highest-stakes shot of that postseason, which was seminal to our first modern championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLcX9d1ZufQ

If the Bucks lost that game—and by almost all odds, they would have without this play—they'd fall into a historically unsurmounted 0-3 hole. Instead, they won it, scraped through the rest of the series, and ultimately won it all.

It might not be that iconic leaguewide (hence I'm the first to mention it ITT), but it's the clear answer for my franchise insofar as title implications go.

Da_Realist
09-13-2023, 09:50 PM
Horry's shot was clearly bigger than Magic's, his came while down 2-1 while Magic had a 2-1 head, and the Lakers had HCA in the '87 series while the '02 team did not.

I think Jordan's shot was bigger than Paxson's because if Jordan misses in '98, they'd have to go to Game 7 with a hindered Pippen and would have likely needed Jordan to drop 40+ points again to win, which I don't think he had in him to do b2b games at his age. If Paxson misses, you still have peak Jordan and a healthy Pippen ready to go.

I'm honestly not even sure what Hakeem shot you're referencing, I even just watched the end of the game and he didn't make any crazy shot, the Rockets mostly made FT's. In any event, Elie is the clear choice here. I'd also put Kenny Smith's 3 in Game 1 of the Finals way ahead of whatever shot Hakeem hit, that after Nick Anderson's debacle completely changed the course of that series.

For Boston, it'd have to be the Sam Jones GW in Game 4 of the '69 Finals.

The Hakeem shot. Go to 4:04:40
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UNF1VJikCZk&pp=ygUZMTk5NSBqYXp6IHJvY2tldHMgZ2FtZSA1IA%3D%3D

It was a big shot especially hitting the backboard from the baseline like that but now that I see it again, Eliie's is a bigger moment.

Da_Realist
09-13-2023, 09:53 PM
Chicago: Paxson, Steve Kerr, and Jordan's shot are the 3 most important and equally important shots in that franchise.

Lakers: Horry / Magic's skyhook vs Boston

Cleveland: Kyrie 3

Miami: Ray Allen

Golden State: Curry 3 in OKC

Portland: Lillard 3 over OKC

Dallas: Dirk 2 over Bosh Game 3

Raptors: Kawhi Leonard game 7

I thought of Kawhi but forgot to include it. Big shot.

8Ball
09-13-2023, 10:07 PM
For the Nets, it has to be Kevin Durant's shot with the toe on the line.

In the grand scheme of things it didn't change much, but God damn that was a big shot.

8Ball
09-13-2023, 10:10 PM
Curry's 3 in OKC was probably the most back breaking Curry hater shot ever.

Warriors were 52-5 at the time, people were just desperate to have a team beat them.

Tie game in over time with 6 seconds left. Curry throws up a 37 footer to end it. That shot melted the haters.

8Ball
09-13-2023, 10:14 PM
A fun thread would be biggest individual performance in Franchise history. That would be fun. OP you should make that thread next.

Da_Realist
09-13-2023, 10:32 PM
Curry's 3 in OKC was probably the most back breaking Curry hater shot ever.

Warriors were 52-5 at the time, people were just desperate to have a team beat them.

Tie game in over time with 6 seconds left. Curry throws up a 37 footer to end it. That shot melted the haters.

Curry 3 was huge but bigger than either of Durant's back breaking threes in the Finals?

Da_Realist
09-13-2023, 10:40 PM
Boston?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sEZKAHJ_Yvk&pp=ygUXYmlyZCBnYW1lIHdpbm5lciBsYWtlcnM%3D