PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with the NBA according to an old forum post from February 15th, 1985

Im Still Ballin
09-13-2023, 11:38 PM
:roll:

https://groups.google.com/g/net.sport.hoops/c/3oAAWNvpcf8

The problems with the NBA can be summarized as follows:

1. They don't play basketball.

So much pushing, holding, fouling is allowed that any fouls called are arbitrary. Consequently fouls are called based more on reputation than on the sequence of events. The reasons for this is that the league doesn't want the games to become a simple test of free throw shooting, but if ALL the fouls were called consistently, I believe that the greatest basketball players in the world would adjust.

2. In crunch time ( the last few seconds of a game ) ANYTHING goes.

The officials are so afraid of deciding a game at the free throw line that anything short of decapitation is "good defense" unless the shooter makes the shot. Consequently the fouling is completely out of hand in the final seconds of a game. This frame of mind becomes the standard for playoff games. The reason for this are the same as for problem one above. Again I think that if the college approach were taken, where games can easily be lost at the line, the NBA players would respond with the kind of tight but clear defense close college games end with.

3 It's FIXXED!?!?

When playoff time rolls around watch with special attention the games worked by the head of the NBA officials, ole D.G. His calls are most creative and the ratio of fouls he hands out between teams, make it hard to believe he's calling them as he sees them.

1987_Lakers
09-14-2023, 01:09 AM
30 years from now the newer generation will look at this era as "real basketball" "When men played".

It always happens.

Im Still Ballin
09-14-2023, 09:10 AM
30 years from now the newer generation will look at this era as "real basketball" "When men played".

It always happens.

Facts. I also found a post from 1984 complaining about how the players don't take the All-Star game seriously. LOL - just like what people say today.

warriorfan
09-14-2023, 10:19 AM
What’s that joke again? like when they deciphered ancient egyptian they were concerned the new generation isn’t as good as the past :lol

But yeah it’s funny how this has been going on forever.

But in all seriousness nba has gotten pretty soft :lol

Kblaze8855
09-14-2023, 11:15 AM
What’s that joke again? like when they deciphered ancient egyptian they were concerned the new generation isn’t as good as the past :lol

But yeah it’s funny how this has been going on forever.

But in all seriousness nba has gotten pretty soft :lol

Like those newspaper clippings showing that people think “Nobody wants to work anymore” every year of recorded history.

RRR3
09-14-2023, 11:38 AM
I find myself guilty of this as well, more so when it comes to baseball though. But I also took about a decade long break from following baseball, so it still feels very much like a part of my childhood which undoubtedly influences that. I do honestly think some of the new aspects of baseball are bad for various reasons but some of the other things I dislike are undoubtedly rooted in nostalgia.

L.Kizzle
09-14-2023, 12:32 PM
Every era before was/is always tougher.

dankok8
09-14-2023, 02:10 PM
Nostalgia is a real thing but ain't nobody gonna call today's era physical. That's for sure.

Xiao Yao You
09-14-2023, 02:13 PM
Nostalgia is a real thing but ain't nobody gonna call today's era physical. That's for sure.

they just did. Supposedly Wemby is going to take a beating now that he's away from the French league

90sgoat
09-14-2023, 04:27 PM
This guy is not saying it used to be tougher, he's saying it is too tough and the refs don't call enough.

Are you all inable to read?

Jasper
09-14-2023, 07:09 PM
IMO dollars influence performance.

Granted they did 20,30,40 years ago , but the dollar value for their performance in any sport has gone thru the roof.

I watched a football game opening weekend , probably first one in about 8 years and thought I was watching a playoff game. INTENSE
Baseball same thing regular season , it has become a scientific game... was surprised and happy to see these millionaires playing like they mean it.
bball no one takes a day off , on court it is more than intense than 3 decades ago playoff games.

Jasper
09-14-2023, 07:10 PM
This guy is not saying it used to be tougher, he's saying it is too tough and the refs don't call enough.

decades and eras change , at that time bball was like a war.

Lebron23
09-14-2023, 08:57 PM
It's called nostalgia.

Full Court
09-14-2023, 10:31 PM
Great link you posted. In going through a lot of those old threads, it's obvious that the posters back then were waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more intelligent on average than the ones on here.

Norcaliblunt
09-14-2023, 10:36 PM

Yeah that’s what I read too. Lol.

Norcaliblunt
09-14-2023, 10:37 PM
That shits AI