PDA

View Full Version : Jermaine O'Neal is disappointed the Pacers are letting Buddy Hield wear No. 7

Lebron23
09-15-2023, 03:47 PM
https://scontent.fmnl25-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/377782926_693799932783188_7401858591894219552_n.jp g?_nc_cat=103&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=49d041&_nc_ohc=JT_rn0tLjj8AX8jxhC-&_nc_ht=scontent.fmnl25-1.fna&oh=00_AfCg6gaPtiv_keimfZ6kPDSX1ck5Byj6uoRhS075QQ4S-g&oe=65095A8B

Xiao Yao You
09-15-2023, 03:49 PM
Jazz let Tripuka wear Dantley's number right after they were traded for each other because he hurt Layden's feelings. The best player in their history at that point

warriorfan
09-15-2023, 03:59 PM
Doing their best to erase that era from their franchise’s history

Lebron23
09-15-2023, 04:02 PM
Jazz let Tripuka wear Dantley's number right after they were traded for each other because he hurt Layden's feelings. The best player in their history at that point

Are the Pacers management still mad at O'neal for demanding trade to the Raptors?? or they are still mad at him because he was one of the instigators at the malice of the palace??? That ruined Indiana's season they made it to the conference finals the previous season.

Lebron23
09-15-2023, 04:03 PM
he did finished top 3 in mvp voting in 2003-04. Jermaine O'neal is a top 5 indiana pacers of all time even if you included those players who played in the ABA

https://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_2004.html

JohnMax
09-15-2023, 04:07 PM
Nuggets gave Melo's number to Jokic

Lebron23
09-15-2023, 04:09 PM
Nuggets gave Melo's number to Jokic

And Jokic surpassed him.

Xiao Yao You
09-15-2023, 04:11 PM
Are the Pacers management still mad at O'neal for demanding trade to the Raptors?? or they are still mad at him because he was one of the instigators at the malice of the palace??? That ruined Indiana's season they made it to the conference finals the previous season.

might have higher standards? Not sure who hangs there. Hopefully not an Eaton, Griffith, Layden, Horny, Larry Miller...

ArbitraryWater
09-15-2023, 04:22 PM
buddy chill, you were nice but youre Jermaine ONeal stop it

FultzNationRISE
09-15-2023, 04:24 PM
Usually for that kinda thing you have to either win a bunch in a short time or have been there for a long time.

JO was there for 8 years and they didnt win anything meaningful in that time.

He seems like a generally decent guy so I feel for him, but I dont see this as a snub really.

Reggie43
09-15-2023, 05:57 PM
Hard to justify retiring his jersey when the lasting memory he gave the Pacers and its fans is the brawl

beasted
09-15-2023, 06:02 PM
Usually for that kinda thing you have to either win a bunch in a short time or have been there for a long time.

JO was there for 8 years and they didnt win anything meaningful in that time.

He seems like a generally decent guy so I feel for him, but I dont see this as a snub really.

Hard to justify retiring his jersey when the lasting memory he gave the Pacers and its fans is the brawl
These.

Kblaze8855
09-15-2023, 06:30 PM
Buddy accidentally exposed a burnet of his replying on Twitter, talking about Jermaine, and defending himself.

L.Kizzle
09-15-2023, 11:07 PM
That was 20 years ago, started by Ben Wallace and Ron Artest.

TeflonDonTrump
09-15-2023, 11:41 PM
What has he accomplished to deserve a jersey retirement?

Lebron23
09-16-2023, 01:18 AM
What has he accomplished to deserve a jersey retirement?

6× NBA All-Star (2002–2007)
All-NBA Second Team (2004)
2× All-NBA Third Team (2002, 2003)
NBA Most Improved Player (2002)

Finished top 3 in MVP voting in 2003-4

Reggie43
09-16-2023, 03:19 AM
That was 20 years ago, started by Ben Wallace and Ron Artest.

He has the resume for sure but when the most famous thing you did on the court for the Pacers was a sliding dragon punch then some people might question if you deserve it regardless of how good and talented you were.

ILLsmak
09-16-2023, 07:06 AM
Since there are a finite amount of numbers and most people go with numbers you can 'call fouls' with two hands, the whole idea of retiring numbers is kind of wack. They should retire jerseys. I mean he's the only 7 with O'Neal on the back, but who cares about the number. It's not sustainable haha. SOME DAY in 2150, they will have to add another number on people's jerseys!

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
09-16-2023, 09:31 AM
Since there are a finite amount of numbers and most people go with numbers you can 'call fouls' with two hands, the whole idea of retiring numbers is kind of wack. They should retire jerseys. I mean he's the only 7 with O'Neal on the back, but who cares about the number. It's not sustainable haha. SOME DAY in 2150, they will have to add another number on people's jerseys!

-Smak

used to be one hand. Everyone had 55 or lower before Rodman. Went to a local minor league hockey game when I was a kid. Still remember the goons name. Mel Hewitt. Spent most of the game in the locker room or penalty box with two fights. #111 on his back!

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=6532

TeflonDonTrump
09-16-2023, 10:01 AM
6× NBA All-Star (2002–2007)
All-NBA Second Team (2004)
2× All-NBA Third Team (2002, 2003)
NBA Most Improved Player (2002)

Finished top 3 in MVP voting in 2003-4

And that deserves a jersey retirement? Hahahah. Low standards. No wonder you support bran

pandiani17
09-16-2023, 12:49 PM

This. They want to forget all the players associated with the brawl.

pandiani17
09-16-2023, 12:52 PM

That might be for you. For me, he is a prime example that you can learn and improve coming from the bench for several years, to become an important player in the league once you have the chance to become a starter. Also, hard to forget his blocks and dunks.

ILLsmak
09-16-2023, 01:39 PM
used to be one hand. Everyone had 55 or lower before Rodman. Went to a local minor league hockey game when I was a kid. Still remember the goons name. Mel Hewitt. Spent most of the game in the locker room or penalty box with two fights. #111 on his back!

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=6532

I forgot if it was like big 3 league or what but some bball has 3 numbers, too. Looks so funky. I dont mind weird numbers cuz more or less people do 1 hand even if its 5 4 for 9. Then like dudes who wanna be rodman like artest can do w e. But really its strange to retire a number. If anything they should do league wide retires when ppl die like russell, kobe, when mj dies. But even then they have their literal jersey in the rafters, makes no sense dudes are jimmied by someone like thats my numba!! They got their name and jersey up. Best respect is being like yea i dont wanna take so and sos number or being like ye i gotta live up to this pressure… and being real JO is cool but nobody is shaking trying to fill his shoes while wearing his number haha he aint an atg but he was good.

I srs doubt the punch means anything for his lack of jersey. But if he was good enough, he prol would have lost it.

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
09-16-2023, 01:47 PM
I forgot if it was like big 3 league or what but some bball has 3 numbers, too. Looks so funky. I dont mind weird numbers cuz more or less people do 1 hand even if its 5 4 for 9. Then like dudes who wanna be rodman like artest can do w e. But really its strange to retire a number. If anything they should do league wide retires when ppl die like russell, kobe, when mj dies. But even then they have their literal jersey in the rafters, makes no sense dudes are jimmied by someone like thats my numba!! They got their name and jersey up. Best respect is being like yea i dont wanna take so and sos number or being like ye i gotta live up to this pressure… and being real JO is cool but nobody is shaking trying to fill his shoes while wearing his number haha he aint an atg but he was good.

I srs doubt the punch means anything for his lack of jersey. But if he was good enough, he prol would have lost it.

-Smak

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Indiana-Pacers/11/Retired-Numbers

looks like they are real picky which they should be. Not sure why these guys are up there other than Reggie though? My older brother was a big fan of McGinnis but that was the end of his career in Indiana

Norcaliblunt
09-16-2023, 01:54 PM
I don’t believe there should be jersey retirements or a Hall of Fame. In fact their shouldn’t even be MVP’s, DPOY’s, or awards for anything besides winning games.

This trophy culture crap needs to stop. A grown man begging for his jersey to be retired is pathetic.

ILLsmak
09-16-2023, 02:18 PM
I don’t believe there should be jersey retirements or a Hall of Fame. In fact their shouldn’t even be MVP’s, DPOY’s, or awards for anything besides winning games.

This trophy culture crap needs to stop. A grown man begging for his jersey to be retired is pathetic.

You may be right with trophies because they are so ambiguous, but the jersey thing is a direct business relation. I imagine, at least, it helps sell a lot. Hall of Fame is also probably a big money maker, but yeah, I dunno... I can dig it. Like when you go from being homeless to on the stage at the Hall of Fame, it's amazing, but then you think of the 50 other guys who did it before you and realize it's just a sham celebration. Def do enjoy the idea of score / wins, though, because that is the beauty of sports, to me, that it's defined. In life... life is more like MVP / HOF where people make ambiguous decisions and your reputation has a lot to do with it, but actual results are actual results (unless home statkeepers are padding you haha.)

It's like which guy was better? Dunno, but this guy WON haha.

-Smak

Norcaliblunt
09-16-2023, 04:10 PM
You may be right with trophies because they are so ambiguous, but the jersey thing is a direct business relation. I imagine, at least, it helps sell a lot. Hall of Fame is also probably a big money maker, but yeah, I dunno... I can dig it. Like when you go from being homeless to on the stage at the Hall of Fame, it's amazing, but then you think of the 50 other guys who did it before you and realize it's just a sham celebration. Def do enjoy the idea of score / wins, though, because that is the beauty of sports, to me, that it's defined. In life... life is more like MVP / HOF where people make ambiguous decisions and your reputation has a lot to do with it, but actual results are actual results (unless home statkeepers are padding you haha.)

It's like which guy was better? Dunno, but this guy WON haha.

-Smak

It all just reeks of Hollywood diva shit. The hall of fame or all star game might as well be the Academy Awards.

Sports is pretty black and white. You either win or you lose. If you wanna put up a banner or display a trophy for a championship team? OK. But anything else is completely unnecessary.

tpols
09-16-2023, 06:01 PM

Jermaine O'Neal, Jamal Tinsley,AL Ĥarrington, and Ron Artest is about as close to the toughest street gang goon squad that's ever existed in all of sports. It isnt even about basketball at that point. You're just getting your ass kicked.

It's just a fight with a ball involved.

Reggie43
09-16-2023, 09:00 PM
Jermaine O'Neal, Jamal Tinsley,AL Ĥarrington, and Ron Artest is about as close to the toughest street gang goon squad that's ever existed in all of sports. It isnt even about basketball at that point. You're just getting your ass kicked.

It's just a fight with a ball involved.

You forgot to add Stephen Jackson who was arguably the worst of the bunch for me

Xiao Yao You
09-16-2023, 09:02 PM
You forgot to add Stephen Jackson who was arguably the worst of the bunch for me

certainly worse than anyone that isn't Artest. That guy wasn't playing with a full deck

Reggie43
09-16-2023, 09:09 PM
That might be for you. For me, he is a prime example that you can learn and improve coming from the bench for several years, to become an important player in the league once you have the chance to become a starter. Also, hard to forget his blocks and dunks.

To me he is a prime example of a knucklehead who tried to do the right things for the team but the knucklehead in him still shows up eventually (feuding with Artest, brawling with fans etc) but atleast he tried to change his ways right?

Purely basketball wise those left handed blocks was his signature play for me and was pretty impressive

ILLsmak
09-17-2023, 07:03 AM
It all just reeks of Hollywood diva shit. The hall of fame or all star game might as well be the Academy Awards.

ASG is now that it's just dudes showing off. It was fun when they competed.

-Smak