PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain to me in Bball terms how good Shohei Ohtani is?

highwhey
09-16-2023, 03:29 PM
is he like a prime LeBron James? good at everything? i don't follow baseball tbh, i've caught one Dbacks game this season. but i keep hearing on the radio about Ohtani and how good he is.

Real Men Wear Green
09-16-2023, 04:05 PM
He can be one of the best pitcher as well as the best hitters. Best pitcher isn't the same as DPoY because you can't pitch every game but basically Giannis except that that kind of combo is much rarer in baseball. We see guys like Hakeem. Jordan, etc. Only guy like Ohtani was Babe Ruth.

ShawkFactory
09-16-2023, 04:48 PM
It’d be like if Dikembe Mutombo could play offense like Kobe or something. Basketball is tough for comparison because everyone plays both ends.

warriorfan
09-16-2023, 04:56 PM
He was gonna get a 1 billion dollar contract getting paid as a top hitter and a top pitcher at the same time until he blew out his UCL recently.

Back in the day this was a death sentence for pitchers but Tommy John surgery has gotten a lot better over the years. The problem now is that this will be his 2nd UCL tear and surgery to fix it.

Even if everything goes insanely well he isn’t gonna pitch until 2025

So that means no team is gonna even think about giving him that double value contract he was slated to get until the earliest of 2025 off season. He should be around 33 that time. And that’s if everything goes perfectly from here on out.

The whole situation is absolutely tragic for baseball which has been slowly dying for quite some time now. ohtani was going to be a once in multi generation type superstar that could have put baseball back on the map. It’s not too late he will still be amazing and a huge draw if he never pitches again but the mystique is gone and turned into one of the greatest what if’s in sports history.

It’s a bit of a stretch but I low key blame the Angels. They ****ed around with him and wouldn’t extend possibly the greatest player’s ever contract and then tried to squeeze every last drop out of him knowing he’s a gamer that always plays hard and is trying to prove himself for the 1 billion dollar contract.

If the Angels just extended him and did a better load managing (I know I hate this word). In this situation it makes sense because the stress he’s putting on his body with the constant 2 way play is somewhat unprecedented. And add to the fact that he’s the type of guy who will never sit and always wants to play no matter what….Angels could have handled the situation a lot better.

Xiao Yao You
09-16-2023, 06:02 PM
It’d be like if Dikembe Mutombo could play offense like Kobe or something. Basketball is tough for comparison because everyone plays both ends.

Everyone? You never watched Mitchell play apparently

Xiao Yao You
09-16-2023, 06:17 PM
He can be one of the best pitcher as well as the best hitters. Best pitcher isn't the same as DPoY because you can't pitch every game but basically Giannis except that that kind of combo is much rarer in baseball. We see guys like Hakeem. Jordan, etc. Only guy like Ohtani was Babe Ruth.

Ruth revolutionized the game as well with power never imagined

ShawkFactory
09-16-2023, 06:23 PM
Everyone? You never watched Mitchell play apparently

Yes. Literally everyone plays on both sides.

Kblaze8855
09-16-2023, 06:49 PM

That’s pretty much Wilt but still seems insufficient. There is no basketball comparison. It’s like Ray Lewis also being Peyton Manning.

tpols
09-16-2023, 06:52 PM
Sounds like the Asian babe Ruth.

"There's always an Asian better than you" vibes

RRR3
09-16-2023, 07:23 PM
Ben Wallace but he can play offense like Lillard.

97 bulls
09-16-2023, 08:00 PM
There's a lot of guys that could probably do what Shohei is doing. But playing on off nights is extremely difficult due to the toll it takes on your body. Especially a players throwing arm. But Ohtani is a beast for sure. I heard the Dodgers night try to get him.

FKAri
09-19-2023, 08:03 PM
There's a lot of guys that could probably do what Shohei is doing.

At his level? Not even close. An ace level pitcher having the potential to lead the Majors in OPS? Even if two way players were more encouraged that kind of talent is extremely rare.

warriorfan
09-19-2023, 08:27 PM
At his level? Not even close. An ace level pitcher having the potential to lead the Majors in OPS? Even if two way players were more encouraged that kind of talent is extremely rare.

97bulls is legit the dumbest poster around

Charlie Sheen
09-19-2023, 08:33 PM
It would be like if basketball had rules where a player could only play 1 quarter of a game or every 5th game a player could play as many minutes as he wanted, but not play any games in between.

Ohtani would be like LeBron being able to do both while everyone else in the league is restricted to one of the two choices.

AlternativeAcc.
09-19-2023, 08:43 PM
That’s pretty much Wilt but still seems insufficient. There is no basketball comparison. It’s like Ray Lewis also being Peyton Manning.

No, he's nowhere near the GOAT of pitching or hitting.

It's more like Justin Herbert and Fletcher Cox or some shit.

JohnMax
09-20-2023, 04:49 PM
I have never seen a single game of his because I only tune into baseball during playoffs.

So NBA equivalent of Ohtani would be an elite NBA player who doesn't get to playoffs so casual fans have no idea how good he is. Someone like Devin Booker before the Suns got CP3.

ShawkFactory
09-20-2023, 04:51 PM

No I actually meant if Mutombo could play defense as Mutombo and then turn into Kobe on offense. With the handles, jumper, everything. Not just score at will as a center in the paint mostly.

TheMan
09-20-2023, 04:56 PM
There's a lot of guys that could probably do what Shohei is doing. But playing on off nights is extremely difficult due to the toll it takes on your body. Especially a players throwing arm. But Ohtani is a beast for sure. I heard the Dodgers night try to get him.
:roll:

You don't know much about baseball, do you :lol

TheMan
09-20-2023, 04:59 PM
Othani is like Mahomes also playing All Pro defense at cornerback.

BurningHammer
09-20-2023, 11:06 PM
Othani is like Mahomes also playing All Pro defense at cornerback.

Can NFL players play both offense and defense nowadays? I have seen a CFL player playing both in a real game not so long ago.

warriorfan
09-21-2023, 12:26 AM
Can NFL players play both offense and defense nowadays? I have seen a CFL player playing both in a real game not so long ago.

use google for questions as stupid as these

j3lademaster
09-21-2023, 10:50 AM
Can NFL players play both offense and defense nowadays? I have seen a CFL player playing both in a real game not so long ago.zero chance at the nfl level. There’s a reason why there are only like 3 teams who don’t split running loads anymore, vs early 2000s where you had multiple backs getting 1500 yards in the same season.

Wally450
09-21-2023, 10:51 AM

You can, but not at an effective level.

TheMan
09-21-2023, 02:02 PM

No clue but Devin Hester used to return kick offs, punt returns, played some WR and DB IIRC