PDA

View Full Version : Who the NBA's best center is according to a November 21st, 1994 forum post

Im Still Ballin
09-16-2023, 09:15 PM
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.sports.basketball.pro.ny-knicks/c/gbjRZpK_WDw

I wanted to get some input on how people would rank the top centers in the NBA.
Here is my ranking.

1) Hakeem Olajuwon
2) David Robinson
3) Patrik Ewing
4) S. O'Neal
5) D. Mutombo
6) A. Mourning

: 1) Hakeem Olajuwon

Without a doubt the best, on offense and defense. Can hit the
outside and post shots. One of the best shotblockers in the game...shut
down Ewing in the NBA finals. Only weakness is that he is too humble
about himself.

: 2) David Robinson

Nah, Shaquille O Neal in 2 short years is a more dominating
presence and the most physical player in the NBA. Robinson is a great
shooter, but many people don't like the fact that at times he seems to
play a point-center type of role...hope that's clear. SHaq #2

: 3) Patrik Ewing

He's still great, but no longer at his peak, especially on
defense.

: 4) S. O'Neal

: 5) D. Mutombo
: 6) A. Mourning

Mutombo ahead of Mourning??? I don't know about that...Mourning
is a much better player in the paint, though Mutombo is a better
defensive player right now. Based on future potential, I'd go with
Mourning.

Although I am a Robinson fan, i can understand why you put Hakeem over him, but considering that Robinson has carried his much weaker supporting cast throughout the season, it is no wonder that he became tired in the playoffs and does not react as well!!! Whereas Hakeem has a team that has everything, slashers, shooters, and role players, dirty-work guys. Even a true point guard!!! So I would rank Robinson at the same level as Hakeem.

By the way, how could you possibly rank Mutombo over Mourning, even if Mourning had played only two games last year, he is better than Mutombo and O'Neal!!!!

> : 1) Hakeem Olajuwon
>
> Without a doubt the best, on offense and defense. Can hit the
> outside and post shots. One of the best shotblockers in the game...shut
> down Ewing in the NBA finals. Only weakness is that he is too humble
> about himself.
>

On Offense, Robinson can direct his team better and can create more problems with his better driving skills and ever improving range. On defense, Robinson is quicker to react, and just as strong as Hakeem

> : 2) David Robinson
>
> Nah, Shaquille O Neal in 2 short years is a more dominating
> presence and the most physical player in the NBA. Robinson is a great
> shooter, but many people don't like the fact that at times he seems to
> play a point-center type of role...hope that's clear. SHaq #2
>

SHAQ OVER ROBINSON?????? When you are not a threat from out of 10 feet, you are never going to be the best in the league. When it comes to crunch time, Shaq misses his frew throw (more often than his normal sub-60%), and have lots of turnovers. He is not the man, and may never be the man.

>>
>> I wanted to get some input on how people would rank the top centers in the NBA.
>>
>> Here is my ranking.
>>
>> 1) Hakeem Olajuwon
>> 2) David Robinson
>> 3) Patrik Ewing
>> 4) S. O'Neal
>> 5) D. Mutombo
>> 6) A. Mourning
>
> Although I am a Robinson fan, i can understand why you put Hakeem over
>him, but considering that Robinson has carried his much weaker supporting cast
>throughout the season, it is no wonder that he became tired in the playoffs and
>does not react as well!!! Whereas Hakeem has a team that has everything,
>slashers, shooters, and role players, dirty-work guys. Even a true point
>guard!!! So I would rank Robinson at the same level as Hakeem. >

I like DR as well but Hakeem is just in a league above him. First off, DR
has had the supporting cast around him, he had the league leader in bounds,
had a decent bench and all. True, the coaching that the Spurs have had was
pathetic (Tark and although Luke was a decent enough guy, it really was all
smoke and mirrors). Secondly, these are all the things that were said about
the Rockets a few years agow hen Hakeem was Olajowaaah!n , he took each and
every shot when he got the ball because the offense would never go through
him. Heck, Doug Collins once criticized the team for getting rid of Avery
Johnson who (in his words) had far more character than everyone else on the
Rockets. Finally, would you really want to have a nut case like Maxwell as
your shooting guard? The Spurs have had the talent but it's never been utilized.

> By the way, how could you possibly rank Mutombo over Mourning, even
>if Mourning had played only two games last year, he is better than Mutombo and
>O'Neal!!!!

Mutumbo plays in an offense where he figures little. The Nuggets have all the
offensive firepower they need (inlcuding low post players) without having to
utilized Deke. Hence, Deke is much more defensive minded than most (heck, all)
of the centers mentioned here.

And Mourning is NOT better than O'Neal. Come on! I hate that Shaq crap as much
as anyone but leet's get real here...

satish nair

plowking
09-16-2023, 10:17 PM
Probably skewed in favour of Hakeem given he had just won a title.

To this day, I don't think the gap between Hakeem and Robinson was that big. Negligible. One series changed the entire narrative of their careers. Robinson prior to that quite often outplayed Hakeem.

Xiao Yao You
09-16-2023, 10:21 PM

To this day, I don't think the gap between Hakeem and Robinson was that big. Negligible. One series changed the entire narrative of their careers. Robinson prior to that quite often outplayed Hakeem.

I always thought they were close. Hakeem's play in those finals certainly puts him ahead.

L.Kizzle
09-17-2023, 12:10 AM

Robinson is usually literally right behind Hakeem and Moses Mslone in all time rankings.

Hakeem 10-14ish

Moses 16-20ish

Robinson 22-26 area.

Patrick Ewing is usually the one who gets the short end of the stick in these rankings.

kawhileonard2
09-17-2023, 12:59 AM

This

pandiani17
09-17-2023, 06:50 AM

That happens with a lot of players. For example, I think a lot of people put Magic ahead of Bird because of the outcome of their match-ups in the finals.

ILLsmak
09-17-2023, 06:53 AM

That's why comp is so interesting. haha, who was that guy who you played and just kept hitting 3s? But yeah, I don't get in on the narratives, and Hakeem has like a narrative machine behind him, both w/ the Shaq sweep and the owning DRob. Hakeem is like the hipster pick for best C.

I do honestly, deep down in my heart, believe Drob is a choker tho. I think that he was so talented, but he just didn't get it in at the end, so something like this was probably destined to happen. When I say choker, I mean in comparison to like FULL KILLA atg level guys. He'd eat up most dudes just cuz.

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
09-17-2023, 07:44 AM
Robinson is usually literally right behind Hakeem and Moses Mslone in all time rankings.

Hakeem 10-14ish

Moses 16-20ish

Robinson 22-26 area.

Patrick Ewing is usually the one who gets the short end of the stick in these rankings.

Never thought Ewing was on the same tier as Robinson and Hakeem.

90sgoat
09-17-2023, 01:55 PM
These old timer discussions always seem more intelligent and level headed.

Basketball today has too many stupid kids and it began with Bronies.

eliteballer
09-17-2023, 02:51 PM

Hakeem was levels above D-Rob as a playoff performer.

Phoenix
09-17-2023, 04:11 PM
Before 94 Hakeem and Robinson was pretty much a pick em. I don't think many know ( or recall) how highly the Admiral was thought of before that 95 series vs Dream. There were GMs IIRC saying they'd take him over MJ in 92, and this was after the latter had already won a title and in the midst of his peak.

HoopsNY
09-17-2023, 11:11 PM

What is this even based on? They never met in the playoffs prior to 1995. And during the regular season, let's take a look.

Hakeem vs. SAS '90-'95: 27 games | 25/12/3/2/4 on 45% FG%

Robinson vs. HOU '90-'95: 27 games | 22/12/3/2/4 on 47% FG%

SAS went 16-11 during that stretch, which isn't saying that much seeing that Robinson had the better casts. The two were close, but how did they fair in the playoffs up until the '95 playoffs?

Robinson PS '90-'94: 24/12/3/1/4 on 51% FG%
Hakeem PS '85-'94: 27/12/3/2/4 on 53% FG%

Hakeem took his team to the finals twice in that stretch, winning a title. Robinson up until '95 hadn't even been past the second round.

HoopsNY
09-17-2023, 11:19 PM
Before 94 Hakeem and Robinson was pretty much a pick em. I don't think many know ( or recall) how highly the Admiral was thought of before that 95 series vs Dream. There were GMs IIRC saying they'd take him over MJ in 92, and this was after the latter had already won a title and in the midst of his peak.

Yea and it was dumb considering Robinson played terribly in the '94 playoffs, before he got eviscerated by Hakeem the following year.

Baller234
09-17-2023, 11:34 PM
Never thought Ewing was on the same tier as Robinson and Hakeem.

Olajuwon is on a tier above them both, but I refuse to put Robinson on a tier "above" Ewing. Robinson was more dynamic and athletic but Ewing had better big man fundamentals. Both of them have a hit or miss record in big time moments.

I think there's definitely a case for Robinson over Ewing, but sorry I don't think it's clear cut. They're same tier.

There's no case for either of them being better than Hakeem, hence why he's on a tier above them.

Wardell Curry
09-18-2023, 07:40 AM

Back in 1994 and before, while not an absolute, it was almost a necessary requirement that you were above average intelligence to be able to post anything online because of the hurdles you had to jump to get online, not to mention having a home PC in the first place.

Now any halfwit such as yourself has pocket ready access to let their stupidity flow at a moment's notice.

Of course you would just attribute it to some mystical force that surrounds LeBron James and not be able to piece it together, because you are indeed stupid.

RogueBorg
09-18-2023, 10:00 AM
Back in 1994 it wasn't yet clear who was better between Ewing and Robinson. It's easy to look back now at the finished careers and say Robinson, but going through it it was debatable. I preferred Ewing as I thought Robinson was a bit soft. When Robinson won his MVP he had clearly surpassed him.

You younger guys won't know this but back in either 1992 or 1993, there were questions about Olajuwon's heart, his commitment to the game. It was due to contract negotiations iirc but even then, some people had questions about Hakeem.

RogueBorg
09-18-2023, 10:03 AM
Robinson up until '95 hadn't even been past the second round.

This is correct. And up until he did, he wasn't clearly ahead of Ewing who at the time who had taken his Knicks to the Finals in '94 and ECF in '93.

90sgoat
09-18-2023, 10:04 AM
Back in 1994 it wasn't yet clear who was better between Ewing and Robinson. It's easy to look back now at the finished careers and say Robinson, but going through it it was debatable. I preferred Ewing as I thought Robinson was a bit soft. When Robinson won his MVP he had clearly surpassed him.

You younger guys won't know this but back in either 1992 or 1993, there were questions about Olajuwon's heart, his commitment to the game. It was due to contract negotiations iirc but even then, some people had questions about Hakeem.

Is Robinson really better than Ewing?

ShawkFactory
09-18-2023, 10:11 AM

Lol no. It probably actually began with Jordan people. The Kobe fans took the mantle. Then Lebrons.

Since I'm not old enough to have been able to pay attention to the zeitgeist around Jordan, Kobe is the one for me. A lot of his fans were so dumb while being so passionate.

RogueBorg
09-18-2023, 10:15 AM

I would take Ewing in his prime over Robinson in his. BUT, taking all things into consideration like the accolades (MVP and All-Defensive selections) and the championships, you'd have to say Robinson had the better overall career.

HoopsNY
09-18-2023, 10:42 AM

This is true.

90sgoat
09-18-2023, 11:20 AM
Lol no. It probably actually began with Jordan people. The Kobe fans took the mantle. Then Lebrons.

Since I'm not old enough to have been able to pay attention to the zeitgeist around Jordan, Kobe is the one for me. A lot of his fans were so dumb while being so passionate.

That's actually true.

The only dumber fans than mid 00s Kobe fans were McGrady fans lol.

I remember when it was Kobe vs McGrady and Lebron was like a niche project.

90sgoat
09-18-2023, 11:21 AM
I would take Ewing in his prime over Robinson in his. BUT, taking all things into consideration like the accolades (MVP and All-Defensive selections) and the championships, you'd have to say Robinson had the better overall career.

I do think Ewing is the more iconic player. He was synonymous with NY basketball for a long time.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
09-18-2023, 11:28 AM
Yea and it was dumb considering Robinson played terribly in the '94 playoffs, before he got eviscerated by Hakeem the following year.

What is this even based on? They never met in the playoffs prior to 1995. And during the regular season, let's take a look.

Hakeem vs. SAS '90-'95: 27 games | 25/12/3/2/4 on 45% FG%

Robinson vs. HOU '90-'95: 27 games | 22/12/3/2/4 on 47% FG%

SAS went 16-11 during that stretch, which isn't saying that much seeing that Robinson had the better casts. The two were close, but how did they fair in the playoffs up until the '95 playoffs?

Robinson PS '90-'94: 24/12/3/1/4 on 51% FG%
Hakeem PS '85-'94: 27/12/3/2/4 on 53% FG%

Hakeem took his team to the finals twice in that stretch, winning a title. Robinson up until '95 hadn't even been past the second round.

Good posts, bud.

While hindsight does play a factor here, DRob definitely had that kinda talk around him.

Before that series in 95, Hakeem established himself as the best center, but again, it was close. Sort of like the Barkley and Malone debate. I'm a big advocate of postseason play, so naturally Hakeem was always better to me. Forget the accolades and championships. Statistically, Hakeem faired better and played the same comp (in the same conference), but also did more with less.

I also like Hakeem's game more. DRob's faceup offense was elite, sure. But Hakeem had that and a GOAT-level postup game, which ultimately made him tougher to stop in the half-court. Probably another reason why Hakeem's numbers were better in the playoffs.

Xiao Yao You
09-18-2023, 12:00 PM

I thought he was. Ewing was more on Daugherty and Mourning's tier to me

WhiteKyrie
09-18-2023, 01:41 PM
David Robinson to this day is one of the actual most underrated players ever. Besides Hakeem getting the better of him in that series, David Robinson was an absolute monster.

More proof, you don’t know what you’re talking about. David Robinson was definitely better than Patrick Ewing, but Ewing on Brad Daugherty and Alonzo Mourning‘s tier? Just shut up already. You 100% don’t know anything.

RogueBorg
09-18-2023, 02:25 PM

Nah, I think Ewing was a step above both of them. Ewing was an absolute beast in 1990. Daugherty and Mourning never got to that level.

Now, Daugherty was the best passing big man of that bunch.

John8204
09-18-2023, 04:16 PM

In 94 no, Ewing was better (and had a much better team), Robinson moved ahead of Ewing at the end of his career when Duncan came along.

Moses - Hakeem - Shaq - Robinson - Ewing - Mutombo - Mourning

90sgoat
09-18-2023, 04:40 PM
Ewing seemed like more of a leader on both ends and he had a jumpshot.