PDA

View Full Version : Kyrie, Kobe, and KD. Did they have the “Disease of Me”?

Kblaze8855
09-18-2023, 09:44 PM
Pat Riley wrote a book about 30 years ago, advising organizations inside and outside of sports on how to combat what he called the “Disease of Me” which stems from too much success with the wrong personality types. Some of the symptoms he listed

Chronic feelings of under-appreciation. You do not feel you are getting enough credit or attention for the team’s success.
Paranoia over being cheated out of one’s rightful share. Success has financial rewards. Rather than celebrating team accomplishment, you focused on who is getting what share of the pie.
Resentment against the competence of partners. Rather than celebrating the giftedness of your teammate(s), you grow resentful, jealous, and envious of their skills, talents, abilities, and notoriety.
Personal effort mustered solely to outshine a teammate. Your self-improvement is for the purposes of beating your teammate(s) rather than your rival.
A leadership vacuum resulting from the formation of cliques and rivalries. Organizations suffering from The Disease Of Me are fractured organizations. Rather than a leader or leadership team, the organization has splintered into a series of groups with personal agendas. In these environments, your organization has become a group of internally-competing autonomous zones.
Feelings of frustration even when the team performs successfully. You are not happy for the team’s success unless you get your notoriety, compensation, credit, and additional future opportunities.

The most prominent fitting example would be Kobe and Shaq I would say. Kyrie, breaking up the champion cavs, and KD leaving the Warriors might be other examples. I’ve seen a lot of other players reference it. Charles Barkley talked about it and how even role players on teams that are suddenly successful start walking in talking about their lack of endorsements and how they aren’t getting enough credit.

It’s human nature. Everyone wants to be recognized and feeling you don’t get enough has been the downfall of a lot of great teams.

I don’t imagine I will get too much pushback mentioning the three that I did but if you don’t agree, you’re welcome to explain. Any other recent examples?

The Spurs managed to avoid it pretty well. I think Stephen Jackson(both times) is the only guy who had obvious symptoms while there.

eliteballer
09-18-2023, 09:49 PM
Who says Kobe has the wrong personality type.

Lookup the motivational stuff of his on youtube. It's gold.

There's a reason Jordan cried at his funeral and said Kobe made him feel some type of way, and I'm not saying that because Jordan found a kindred spirit in terms of being an asshole.

In fact that hard driving personality is what many successful people would argue is exactly what's needed to succeed.

highwhey
09-18-2023, 10:02 PM
based on riley's symptom list, i don't think KD qualifies for that disease.

OP, in your inbox you will find a cease and desist letter sent over by the Phoenix Suns legal counsel team to refrain from further criticizing KD.

Kblaze8855
09-18-2023, 10:22 PM

There's a reason Jordan cried at his funeral and said Kobe made him feel some type of way, and I'm not saying that because Jordan found a kindred spirit in terms of being an asshole.

In fact that hard driving personality is what many successful people would argue is exactly what's needed to succeed.

Id say it’s pretty clear he had the wrong personality type to pair with another player of his caliber. Luckily, by the time it got out of hand Shaq only had a couple years of true stardom left so hr only had a few years of mediocrity after forcing him out. if they had made one of those moves Phil talks about considering? Like trading him for Marion and change? He could’ve ****ed up his whole career. Kidd having his domestic violence and legal issues forcing the trade for Marbury? I don’t know if Kobe and Marbury in one back court is something anyone would want to see beyond the no doubt wonderful highlights.

Kobe‘s personality no doubt drove him to be as great as he was so it was obviously useful and good for him but the disease of me is about HAL and entire team has to deal with it. He put himself in a few positions that could have really extended that down part of his career. It obviously worked out but it’s also clear it created some problems along the way.

Kblaze8855
09-18-2023, 10:24 PM
based on riley's symptom list, i don't think KD qualifies for that disease.

OP, in your inbox you will find a cease and desist letter sent over by the Phoenix Suns legal counsel team to refrain from further criticizing KD.

I’d say he had at least three of the symptoms. You don’t have to have every symptom to have the disease do you?

and KD is full mercenary at this point. I feel like he would have team independent counsel to go along with his army of burners to defend himself. He moves around too much to rely on team counsel.

highwhey
09-18-2023, 10:29 PM
I’d say he had at least three of the symptoms. You don’t have to have every symptom to have the disease do you?

and KD is full mercenary at this point. I feel like he would have team independent counsel to go along with his army of burners to defend himself. He moves around too much to rely on team counsel.

:oldlol:

Reggie43
09-19-2023, 04:31 AM
Does Pippen fit the bill? In atleast parts of his career?

Xiao Yao You
09-19-2023, 04:42 AM
The Bum and his former backcourt mate

WhiteKyrie
09-19-2023, 07:09 AM
Kyrie was asked to be traded when he found out LeBron (resentful of the success of a teammate) was trying to have him traded.

Kobe wanted to prove naysayers wrong in the ultimate show of competitiveness by winning championships without Shaq.

KD seems pretty beta and didn’t want the pressure of leadership.

All three of them don’t sound like this description literally whatsoever. In fact many of these traits feel more LeBron esque tbh. Who is for all intents and purposes, is probably by far the most narcissistic athlete I’ve ever seen. In a landslide.

tpols
09-19-2023, 07:32 AM
All GOAT skilled players but the difference between Kobe and Durant / Kyrie is Kobe was a true leader and captain... an engine, not just a side piece heavy cannon on the tank.

Kblaze8855
09-19-2023, 07:54 AM
Does Pippen fit the bill? In atleast parts of his career?

He clearly had about four of these traits justified or not

Kblaze8855
09-19-2023, 07:59 AM
Kyrie was asked to be traded when he found out LeBron (resentful of the success of a teammate) was trying to have him traded.

Kobe wanted to prove naysayers wrong in the ultimate show of competitiveness by winning championships without Shaq.

All three of them don’t sound like this description literally whatsoever. In fact many of these traits feel more LeBron esque tbh. Who is for all intents and purposes, is probably by far the most narcissistic athlete I’ve ever seen. In a landslide.

trying to make your team worse so you get additional credit may be competitive, but it’s obviously the kind of thing referenced in three or four of those symptoms. And you never thought Kevin Durant felt underappreciated? The man defends himself on the Internet with burners. He’s clearly worried about being underappreciated and who gets credit.

WhiteKyrie
09-19-2023, 08:07 AM
All GOAT skilled players but the difference between Kobe and Durant / Kyrie is Kobe was a true leader and captain... an engine, not just a side piece heavy cannon on the tank.

Kyrie is too mercurial, defiant and bipolar to be an engine. Literally basketball Kanye. Brilliant talent but not a leader. KD to be frank doesn’t know how to be a leader. No man raised by a woman would know how to do so …

trying to make your team worse so you get additional credit may be competitive, but it’s obviously the kind of thing referenced in three or four of those symptoms. And you never thought Kevin Durant felt underappreciated? The man defends himself on the Internet with burners. He’s clearly worried about being underappreciated and who gets credit.
He didn’t try to make his team worse. He simply said he wanted to prove himself without Shaq. Whether it was on the Clippers or Bulls or Lakers. Shaq brings back talent in a trade. If he doesn’t like a co worker and it’s a toxic work environment and he has goals to prove his worth as a player, that’s certainly admirable. The player he wanted to get away from makes the team worse by driving wedges between himself and another great player, no?

LeBron destroyed the Cavs. It leaked said he was trying to have Kai traded for a rental of Paul George, when everybody in that franchise knew Bron was going to leave for the Lakers in just one season anyway. He was already building houses out there for a number of years. It was a selfish and cowardly thing to do plus not sticking up for the teammate that helped you win that championship and hit the biggest shot in franchise history? So Kyrie said F this guy, I’m going to take my own future into my own hands. It’s weird how you LeBron Stans see it. Like players are there to serve LeBron.

Wardell Curry
09-19-2023, 08:22 AM
Shifting the convo here a bit... all these guys are a different set of teammates away from 0 rings. Not to take away from them. They're all fantastic players. Even MJ was a different set of teammates away from 0 rings. Duncan who might just actually be the best player ever is a different set of teammates away from 0 rings. And they were definitely better players than Durant, Kobe, Kyrie.

None of you are ranking players based on their 5 on 5 basketball abilities. You're just judging them on the results after the fact when the reality is there are too many moving parts to know such things and yet most of you speak with such extreme confidence that it's quite comical.

Wardell Curry
09-19-2023, 08:23 AM
Imagine a world where MJ never gets Pippen and he ends up with 0 rings. Where does he end up ranked?

Kblaze8855
09-19-2023, 08:32 AM
Everyone to ever play a team sport is a different set of teammates from having different results aren’t they?

Kblaze8855
09-19-2023, 08:40 AM
Kyrie is too mercurial, defiant and bipolar to be an engine. Literally basketball Kanye. Brilliant talent but not a leader. KD to be frank doesn’t know how to be a leader. No man raised by a woman would know how to do so …

He didn’t try to make his team worse. He simply said he wanted to prove himself without Shaq. Whether it was on the Clippers or Bulls or Lakers. Shaq brings back talent in a trade. If he doesn’t like a co worker and it’s a toxic work environment and he has goals to prove his worth as a player, that’s certainly admirable. The player he wanted to get away from makes the team worse by driving wedges between himself and another great player, no?

LeBron destroyed the Cavs. It leaked said he was trying to have Kai traded for a rental of Paul George, when everybody in that franchise knew Bron was going to leave for the Lakers in just one season anyway. He was already building houses out there for a number of years. It was a selfish and cowardly thing to do plus not sticking up for the teammate that helped you win that championship and hit the biggest shot in franchise history? So Kyrie said F this guy, I’m going to take my own future into my own hands. It’s weird how you LeBron Stans see it. Like players are there to serve LeBron.

And why would someone winning again, and again, and again feel a need to play without the guy who got the lions share of the credit? Probably because :

Chronic feelings of under-appreciation. You do not feel you are getting enough credit or attention for the team’s success.

Paranoia over being cheated out of one’s rightful share.

Feelings of frustration even when the team performs successfully.Feels kinda hard to deny.

I don’t know why you think I’d give a shit if you think LeBron has some of the symptoms as well. Some of them obviously make less sense considering he’s never played with anyone who got more credit but you could say some things(like the check my stats shirt) suggest a desire to be appreciated.

tpols
09-19-2023, 09:49 AM
They all do have that going on but it's for good reason.

Kobe got no credit all time wise even when he outperformed Shaq in their greatest run. (2001) So he was pissed and worked 150% instead of 100% after he departed. And always had a chip on his shoulder for it. Led title teams later off the anger at being discounted.

Durant got no credit despite almost winning a title with Westbrook... something Lebron could absolutely never do. And then when KD totally roasted Lebron on a super team to the tune of 35 ppg on 70 TS with dagger clutch shots he still got no credit. Hypocritically as the Heat were expected to win not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6 titles etc. and the media still gave Lebron credit there even though the Heat had a losing Finals record and were a squeak away from going 1/4. (Ray)

And then Kyrie outplayed... totally destroyed really... UMVP Curry and Klay and literally everyone on the Warriors not just production wise, but clutch wise as well and then all the Lebron fans said he sucks 1000 times since. He would've been better off throwing the series given how little credit he got.

So it's all an understandable mindset from them all.

WhiteKyrie
09-19-2023, 10:07 AM

Kobe got no credit all time wise even when he outperformed Shaq in their greatest run. (2001) So he was pissed and worked 150% instead of 100% after he departed. And always had a chip on his shoulder for it. Led title teams later off the anger at being discounted.

Durant got no credit despite almost winning a title with Westbrook... something Lebron could absolutely never do. And then when KD totally roasted Lebron on a super team to the tune of 35 ppg on 70 TS with dagger clutch shots he still got no credit. Hypocritically as the Heat were expected to win not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6 titles etc. and the media still gave Lebron credit there even though the Heat had a losing Finals record and were a squeak away from going 1/4. (Ray)

And then Kyrie outplayed... totally destroyed really... UMVP Curry and Klay and literally everyone on the Warriors not just production wise, but clutch wise as well and then all the Lebron fans said he sucks 1000 times since. He would've been better off throwing the series given how little credit he got.

The only difference between those three for the credit thing, KD was a moron for thinking people would be cool with him joining a team that already won a championship, 73 games and some dominant Kyrie and LeBron performances plus suspect officiating away from going back to back. The same team they were up 3 games to 1 on, where KD played like dookie and lost to then joined them the very next season? That’s cowardly as hell. Can’t sweep that aspect under the rug bro. Why would he get full credit in a scenario like that? At least Kobe and Kyrie played from the start with the team on the rise to the championships. KD joined it rests made and already accomplished. He’d never get the same level of live, admiration or respect.

Kblaze8855
09-19-2023, 10:13 AM

there are certainly justifications we can talk about just like there are for just about all feelings, but Riley wrote from the perspective of an organization. Obviously, an organization is suffering from the disease of me when people within it are so concerned about who gets the credit for success they are willing to do things that bring about less success. Leaving the team when a free agent. Demanding a trade while under contract. Asking to be traded. It’s pretty much the definition of this whole thing. It’s not so much a moral judgement of the individuals as something to watch out for as a company. People who will make you worse or want to leave while the company thrives because they worry about personal credit for that thriving are obviously something to be wary of.

tpols
09-19-2023, 10:14 AM
The only difference between those three for the credit thing, KD was a moron for thinking people would be cool with him joining a team that already won a championship, 73 games and some dominant Kyrie and LeBron performances plus suspect officiating away from going back to back. The same team they were up 3 games to 1 on, where KD played like dookie and lost to then joined them the very next season? That’s cowardly as hell. Can’t sweep that aspect under the rug bro. Why would he get full credit in a scenario like that? At least Kobe and Kyrie played from the start with the team on the rise to the championships. KD joined it rests made and already accomplished. He’d never get the same level of live, admiration or respect.

KD averaged 35 ppg on unbelievably elite efficiency winning multiple FMVPs and got 0 credit.

He didn't tag along with 15-20 ppg or something. He totally dominated. Yes it was a cowardly move to join the warriors... but he still produced like a mega star while winning.

How is that different from Lebron producing even worse in his wins while playing on a supposed Bill Russell level dynasty teaming up with an MVP level Wade and All NBA Bosh in a garbage conference competively?

Overdrive
09-19-2023, 10:29 AM

You're actually making Riley's point. All three felt underappreciated, thus all three sabotaged a working team. Riley isn't talking about reasons, he's talking about what it means for a team's and organization's results when part of it feels underappreciated and instead of brushing it off shows damaging behaviour to gain some sort of recognition.

The Shaq-Kobe-feud is the prime example for the disease of me.

WhiteKyrie
09-19-2023, 10:33 AM
KD averaged 35 ppg on unbelievably elite efficiency winning multiple FMVPs and got 0 credit.

He didn't tag along with 15-20 ppg or something. He totally dominated. Yes it was a cowardly move to join the warriors... but he still produced like a mega star while winning.

How is that different from Lebron producing even worse in his wins while playing on a supposed Bill Russell level dynasty teaming up with an MVP level Wade and All NBA Bosh in a garbage conference competively?

We are talking about Kevin Durant. You don’t think what he pulled was a bitch made move?

LeBron stacking the deck with prime Wade, and Bosh was cowardly as shit. It also was two faced and backstabbing to ditch them when he perceived them to be done just to stack the deck again under the guise of coming home to join an ascending Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. He’s a user.

It is 100% more cowardly for what Kevin Durant did joining as I said a near back to back champion with two time MVP, and recently had won 73 games and beat his team when Kevin should’ve beat them while up three games to one. Played like shit, let Klay style all over them and lost in embarrassing fashion. If they beat the Warriors as they should’ve in the Western Conference Finals that year, beat Cleveland in the Finals, or even if they lost to Cleveland in the Finals, and then he joined the Warriors, it would be perceived accurately a lot different

But he was up on them, choked, then got cucked and Warrior gang banged into joining the team that beat him? :oldlol: that’s the most bust down basketball hoe thing ever.

That is the most cowardly thing I’ve ever seen done free agency wise. It’s literally like the best player in pick up, waiting to get on the court and then not joining the team coming on to try to beat the team that keeps winning, but then joining the team that keeps winning. So bitch made.

It’s cowardly as hell, how are you playing mental gymnastics to deny this? We’re not talking about LeBron’s cowardice. We’re talking about Kevin Durant even more pussified move.

Is that does that Miami Heat team was, there was no proof it was undeniably going to work. The Warriors however were proven and solidified as champs.

Yeah KD played great for them, but they didn’t really need it, that’s why fans were so disenchanted with the sport for all those seasons he was with Golden State. It was perceived as not even being fair competition. A total All Star or Olympic team.

Yes, it took LeBrons coward move, but basically put it on steroids. LeBron ushered in the destruction of the sport with this uncompetitive easy route to rings bull shit, Kevin Durant took it to new levels.

His addition to GS was arbitrary, as I said, they were back to back champions, and won 73 games without him. They won a championship just a few years later without him. If it wasn’t for injuries to Stephen Curry, Klay, they would’ve still been competing for championships, without him.

Kevin Durant made the biggest bitch move ever in free agency in the summer of 2016. Before that it was LeBron, forming the super friends all in their prime at D-Wade’s franchise in Miami.

They’re both the biggest bitches for superstars the sport has ever seen. Raised by bitches, act like bitches. LeBron and Durant. They’re cut from the same cloth. Only difference is LeBron has a level of narcissism where he thinks he’s a good leader. And KD doesn’t even have any aspirations to do that … he is just usually his teams best and most talented scorer / gunner.

tpols
09-19-2023, 10:35 AM
there are certainly justifications we can talk about just like there are for just about all feelings, but Riley wrote from the perspective of an organization. Obviously, an organization is suffering from the disease of me when people within it are so concerned about who gets the credit for success they are willing to do things that bring about less success. Leaving the team when a free agent. Demanding a trade while under contract. Asking to be traded. It’s pretty much the definition of this whole thing. It’s not so much a moral judgement of the individuals as something to watch out for as a company. People who will make you worse or want to leave while the company thrives because they worry about personal credit for that thriving are obviously something to be wary of.

All superstars are about "me". Except maybe Bill Russell, Tim Duncan, and Larry Bird.... it's rare for superstars to not count their individual glory.

Kblaze8855
09-19-2023, 11:11 AM

Just saw this a second ago. Even people who demand trades act like joining the warriors is disgusting

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2309192039240332.jpeg

Wardell Curry
09-19-2023, 11:17 AM
Everyone to ever play a team sport is a different set of teammates from having different results aren’t they?

Oh of course but I'm just simply pointing out that the majority of people are ranking players and all time greats based on the results, not on their abilities. And that the results are almost never because of one guy.

Of course you had the odd ball like Bobby Knight who had Jordan as the GOAT before he ever played in the NBA, but the point remains.

sdot_thadon
09-19-2023, 11:25 AM
This thread immediately brings to mind Horace Grant during the 1st 3peat. I ant recall how much of an issue money was for him but I think impending contracts were at the root of his unhappiness. He played for the Bulls while they were on top of the world. He was upset over his role, his shot attempts etc. Phil also used him as the public whipping boy for the team to take a bunch of criticism without ruffling Mj and I suppose Scottie so much but giving the appearance of coaching the top guys too. He argued with the staff quite a bit. I think he's one of the poster boys.

We are talking about Kevin Durant. You don’t think what he pulled was a bitch made move?

LeBron stacking the deck with prime Wade, and Bosh was cowardly as shit. It also was two faced and backstabbing to ditch them when he perceived them to be done just to stack the deck again under the guise of coming home to join an ascending Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love. He’s a user.

It is 100% more cowardly for what Kevin Durant did joining as I said a near back to back champion with two time MVP, and recently had won 73 games and beat his team when Kevin should’ve beat them while up three games to one. Played like shit, let Klay style all over them and lost in embarrassing fashion. If they beat the Warriors as they should’ve in the Western Conference Finals that year, beat Cleveland in the Finals, or even if they lost to Cleveland in the Finals, and then he joined the Warriors, it would be perceived accurately a lot different

But he was up on them, choked, then got cucked and Warrior gang banged into joining the team that beat him? :oldlol: that’s the most bust down basketball hoe thing ever.

That is the most cowardly thing I’ve ever seen done free agency wise. It’s literally like the best player in pick up, waiting to get on the court and then not joining the team coming on to try to beat the team that keeps winning, but then joining the team that keeps winning. So bitch made.

It’s cowardly as hell, how are you playing mental gymnastics to deny this? We’re not talking about LeBron’s cowardice. We’re talking about Kevin Durant even more pussified move.

Is that does that Miami Heat team was, there was no proof it was undeniably going to work. The Warriors however were proven and solidified as champs.

Yeah KD played great for them, but they didn’t really need it, that’s why fans were so disenchanted with the sport for all those seasons he was with Golden State. It was perceived as not even being fair competition. A total All Star or Olympic team.

Yes, it took LeBrons coward move, but basically put it on steroids. LeBron ushered in the destruction of the sport with this uncompetitive easy route to rings bull shit, Kevin Durant took it to new levels.

His addition to GS was arbitrary, as I said, they were back to back champions, and won 73 games without him. They won a championship just a few years later without him. If it wasn’t for injuries to Stephen Curry, Klay, they would’ve still been competing for championships, without him.

Kevin Durant made the biggest bitch move ever in free agency in the summer of 2016. Before that it was LeBron, forming the super friends all in their prime at D-Wade’s franchise in Miami.

They’re both the biggest bitches for superstars the sport has ever seen. Raised by bitches, act like bitches. LeBron and Durant. They’re cut from the same cloth. Only difference is LeBron has a level of narcissism where he thinks he’s a good leader. And KD doesn’t even have any aspirations to do that … he is just usually his teams best and most talented scorer / gunner.
Only thing I got out of this is you must be SOME tough guy typing the word coward to describe men you wont ever share a room with so many times in so few posts. I didn't care for what Kd did, but I seriously doubt he did it in a fit of terror. These guys play basketball for a living man, lighten up.

Xiao Yao You
09-19-2023, 11:29 AM
Oh of course but I'm just simply pointing out that the majority of people are ranking players and all time greats based on the results, not on their abilities. And that the results are almost never because of one guy.

Of course you had the odd ball like Bobby Knight who had Jordan as the GOAT before he ever played in the NBA, but the point remains.

he's the goat because of results and ability. Hard to imagine him not winning multiple rings with or without Pippen/Jackson

highwhey
09-19-2023, 12:07 PM
Just saw this a second ago. Even people who demand trades act like joining the warriors is disgusting

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2309192039240332.jpeg

bitch move fs. not even gonna defend KD on this one, it's the easy way out.

Kblaze8855
09-19-2023, 12:34 PM
bitch move fs. not even gonna defend KD on this one, it's the easy way out.

Opening press conference:

Durant rejected the suggestion that he had gone looking for an easier path to his first N.B.A. title by signing with the Warriors, the 2015 champion and this year’s runner-up to the Cleveland Cavaliers, rather than stay in Oklahoma City and try to finish what he started.

“Nothing in this league is easy,” Durant said. “There’s no shortcuts. We’ve still got 82 games to play.”

He added, “I think this is the hardest road because I don’t know anybody here, I’ve never lived in this community, never played for this team, and I took a leap.”
Durant said that he had made the decision after exchanging texts with Stephen Curry, who advised him to trust the Warriors’ sales pitch. “It’s hard for me to just trust somebody I just met and just talked to and making this huge change,” Durant said, “but I went with my gut and my instincts and I trusted the situation, and it’s not the easiest situation because I’m out of my comfort zone.”

Norcaliblunt
09-19-2023, 12:35 PM
Kobe was the biggest self hype machine ever. Dude never stopped talking about himself.

WhiteKyrie
09-19-2023, 12:37 PM
Kobe was the biggest self hype machine ever. Dude never stopped talking about himself.

Yeah, he was on Twitter, Instagram and his own produced television show with all his buddies, calling himself the greatest ever, calling himself the king, and patting himself on the back all the time.

tpols
09-19-2023, 12:52 PM
Yeah, he was on Twitter, Instagram and his own produced television show with all his buddies, calling himself the greatest ever, calling himself the king, and patting himself on the back all the time.

Watch your back coach.

Settle down.

Hey Yo
09-19-2023, 01:25 PM

It was cowardly as hell for Kobe to tell Calipari and the Nets not to draft him cause he wouldn't sign with them. Saying he would only sign with the historical Lakers.

If he wanted a shit ton of recognition, then he should've signed with Jersey cause he would've been their starting SG.

tpols
09-19-2023, 01:56 PM
BTW we all have the "disease of me." That's why we have physical bodies, and egos, and all the context surrounding our physical circumstances. You'd have to be a bhuddist monk in pure mediation and total non consumption to branch away but even then a small part of the "me" will still exist. They just fight it off better.

Kblaze8855
09-19-2023, 02:08 PM
I would say professionally I never displayed the disease of me up until Covid when I like many of you was simply annoyed and uncomfortable in a mask but pretended it was something I couldn’t deal with at all, and went on an extended leave which led to me getting a liking for life on the road and quitting entirely.

sdot_thadon
09-19-2023, 02:08 PM
BTW we all have the "disease of me." That's why we have physical bodies, and egos, and all the context surrounding our physical circumstances. You'd have to be a bhuddist monk in pure mediation and total non consumption to branch away but even then a small part of the "me" will still exist. They just fight it off better.

Negative ghost rider, just gotta be a decent human being and have self awareness. It's possible, you can do it. I promise lol.

tpols
09-19-2023, 02:27 PM
I would say professionally I never displayed the disease of me up until Covid when I like many of you was simply annoyed and uncomfortable in a mask but pretended it was something I couldn’t deal with at all, and went on an extended leave which led to me getting a liking for life on the road and quitting entirely.

You escaped The Matrix. That's something we all should aspire to do.

ShawkFactory
09-19-2023, 02:53 PM

I think you’re conflating disease of me and natural self-interest and awareness.

It’s natural to have bacteria in your body. Some of it is even good for you. A bacterial infection is a different story.

The ‘disease’ aspect is the key.

tpols
09-19-2023, 02:57 PM
I think you’re conflating disease of me and natural self-interest and awareness.

It’s natural to have bacteria in your body. Some of it is even good for you. A bacterial infection is a different story.

The ‘disease’ aspect is the key.

It is all about balance but nobody can escape "me" until they exit physical form and return to the light in spiritual form which is non-ego binding, nah mean?

ShawkFactory
09-19-2023, 03:34 PM
It is all about balance but nobody can escape "me" until they exit physical form and return to the light in spiritual form which is non-ego binding, nah mean?

Sure. But again…completely getting rid of “me” isn’t really what’s in question here. An individuals ego can manifest in a million different ways. Some more harmful than others.

Overdrive
09-19-2023, 05:08 PM

It's about being so self centered that the personal outcome is worse than the one taking a back seat.

tpols
09-19-2023, 05:34 PM
It's about being so self centered that the personal outcome is worse than the one taking a back seat.

KD or Kobe or Kyrie taking a backseat wins us nothing.

If Durant is passive we might lose to cleveland given how close it was and some of the daggers he hit. If Kyrie is passive 2016 doesn't exist. If Kobe is passive we don't see 81 or 62 or two titles with Pau and Odom.

You have to take risks to win.

Axe
09-19-2023, 07:10 PM
He thought he can surpass jordan himself but he never did. Great hard worker tho but the consequences on the misses of his excessive shot-jacking took tolls on him too.

WhiteKyrie
09-19-2023, 08:47 PM
KD or Kobe or Kyrie taking a backseat wins us nothing.

If Durant is passive we might lose to cleveland given how close it was and some of the daggers he hit. If Kyrie is passive 2016 doesn't exist. If Kobe is passive we don't see 81 or 62 or two titles with Pau and Odom.

You have to take risks to win.

Or it would’ve allowed Curry to take more shots and spot light, Klay as well. It’s not that cut and dry. They were a few possessions away from winning the title in 2016 then added Durant. Then basically gentleman swept that team the very next year. And some more amazing singular and statistical output from LeBron and Kyrie again. Cavs just didn’t play defense. It wouldn’t been a more fair competition without KD. Stop acting like they needed KD, it’s hyperbole. That’s why everyone unanimously agrees him going there was a bitch move on multiple levels. And if you think Bron was a bitch for what he did in Miami (and he very much was) … he didn’t lose to Wade’s Miami Heat w/ Bosh the playoffs prior after being up on them 3 games to 1. If Bron was a bitch for that, KD is a straight up basketball gender re-assignment surgery for what he pulled. No questions about it. His addition was negligible. Warriors could’ve still won that series without him easily. As they’ve kind of shown since. Curry played very well in the 2017 Finals.

ArbitraryWater
09-20-2023, 05:46 PM

Which of those applies to LeBron?

3ba11
09-20-2023, 06:14 PM
Kyrie and KD have legitimate reasons for feeling underappreciated and misreported because Kyrie is reported to be a loser despite being one of the greatest Finals performers of all-time - he isn't given credit for being a champion and winning the 16' ring - meanwhile, KD's remarkable organic carry-job of Westbrick to the 2012 title was derailed by Lebron's "decision" to put 3 franchise players on 1 team (super-team).