PDA

View Full Version : Young Karl Malone vs Old MVP Karl Malone

iamgine
09-18-2023, 09:51 PM
Did Karl Malone really peaked at 33-35 years old or was his younger self better than his MVP version?

Kblaze8855
09-18-2023, 09:56 PM
I made a video giving people an idea of what each version of him was 11 years ago

https://youtu.be/459NuJnRyxQ?si=scY0J0soD_X2br_f

I believe the Content of that topic probably explained the really aggressive song choice of the first half but I don’t really remember. I feel like it was an abstract Discussion on what ones prime really is.

he was certainly far far more polished in his second form covered on the back end.

SouBeachTalents
09-18-2023, 10:00 PM
His '99 MVP is legitimately the biggest sham in the history of sports. Statistically, that was like the 12h best season of his career :lol

Xiao Yao You
09-18-2023, 10:36 PM
I thought the '88 playoffs was Stockton and Malone at their best as they out ran showtime before Layden and Ivaroni through away the series. Unfortunately Sloan became coach and they became a half court team

dankok8
09-18-2023, 11:20 PM
I made a topic on this a while back.

Young Malone was way more athletic and a better finisher in the paint and thus a high efficiency scorer.

Older Malone was less efficient and he shot more outside shots but also a much better passer and more polished defender.

It can go either way but the consensus is that late 90's Malone was a more effective player even if he put up worse stats. Stockton declined and yet Utah's offenses reached historic heights anchored by the Mailman.

Im Still Ballin
09-18-2023, 11:41 PM
I don't know. Is there a midpoint where he has a little of both? Like Miami LeBron wedged between his first and second stints in Cleveland. The older Karl in the late '90s was probably better. What he lost in athleticism and finishing he added with shooting and passing. Better in the half-court.

Xiao Yao You
09-19-2023, 12:32 AM
I made a topic on this a while back.

Young Malone was way more athletic and a better finisher in the paint and thus a high efficiency scorer.

Older Malone was less efficient and he shot more outside shots but also a much better passer and more polished defender.

It can go either way but the consensus is that late 90's Malone was a more effective player even if he put up worse stats. Stockton declined and yet Utah's offenses reached historic heights anchored by the Mailman.

Stockton didn't really decline though. His minutes were reduced after microfracture surgery

Jasper
09-19-2023, 10:52 AM
I have stated for years , that Mailman was the proto type of PF for era's to come.

Prior to him hitting the weights and training year round, PF's were thin , looked like centers and were pushed around time after time.
Malone's work ethics changed a big part of the game , and to this day I still give him credit for it.

MJ had similar work ethic , and that falls into todays standard.

Xiao Yao You
09-19-2023, 11:32 AM
I have stated for years , that Mailman was the proto type of PF for era's to come.

Prior to him hitting the weights and training year round, PF's were thin , looked like centers and were pushed around time after time.
Malone's work ethics changed a big part of the game , and to this day I still give him credit for it.

MJ had similar work ethic , and that falls into todays standard.

Stockton had the work ethic too. They pushed each. Competed on who would have the lowest body fat % when camp began

L.Kizzle
09-20-2023, 06:59 AM
Younger Malone was definitely better, he was just very great for a long time as evident by his eleven straight All-NBA 1st team selections. His peers just aged out before he did. He was great in 88 as were Drexler and Wilkins and Barkley and Ewing. By his 2nd MVP season in 99, two of those names had retired and the other 2 were on their last legs.