PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Spurs vs. 2015 Warriors

dankok8
09-21-2023, 07:11 PM
Who wins a 7-game series?

warriors would have the top 2 players (draymond and curry)

spurs would have the better team

that's one way of looking at it

dankok8
09-22-2023, 09:22 AM
Mods can you merge the two threads? Not sure why it double posted.

sdot_thadon
09-22-2023, 10:42 AM
Spurs. They were just playing an all time level beautiful game of basketball for a stretch. These Warrirors wouldn't even have chipped that year if not for injuries in the finals.

ArbitraryWater
09-22-2023, 10:45 AM
2014 Spurs would rape

2015 GSW werent ready yet, they only won cause of love AND Kyrie injury.

SouBeachTalents
09-22-2023, 12:13 PM
2014 Spurs would rape

2015 GSW werent ready yet, they only won cause of love AND Kyrie injury.
Not to mention they avoided playing their biggest threats in the conference like the Spurs, Thunder & Clippers. The Warriors were much better in 2016, with Curry & Dray both making a big leap from the year before.

ShawkFactory
09-22-2023, 12:41 PM
I think definitely the Spurs. They were so locked in in the playoffs.

Also, during the regular season they still won 62 games with Duncan, Parker, Kawhi, Manu, and Green missing a combined 66 games. And I remember they used to all sit at the same time multiple times. I think if they don't load manage that could have been close to a 70 win team. Maybe wouldn't have been as healthy in the playoffs but they were very very good.

The experience would also win out.

Axe
09-22-2023, 04:55 PM
Not to doubt the spurs but they were taken to 7 games by the 8th seed mavs bt. And i don't think anyone in the lineup was injured in that run either. After that, they did have a smooth sailing progress tho towards their 5th title.

dankok8
09-22-2023, 06:38 PM
I feel like the 14 Spurs stock was elevated quite a bit in the eyes of the public by annihilating Miami in the Finals with a +15.0 rORtg. Going 7 games with Dallas and 6 games with OKC with an injured Ibaka doesn't make them look invincible. If anything they were vulnerable to the young athletic Thunder as evidenced by the 2012 and 2016 encounters. The Clippers in 2015 also gave them fits. When healthy in the regular season they were a historically great team but I think they were vulnerable to athletic teams and in particular quick players like CP3 and Westbrook.

The 15 Warriors avoided both the Spurs and Thunder in the playoffs so they were never quite tested. And without KD, Golden State offenses tended to get worse in the playoffs. Curry himself couldn't quite maintain his GOAT-level regular season impact.

At the end of the day I actually think the Warriors defend the Spurs a bit better than vice versa. None of the Spurs bigs could hang with Curry on the P&R swtiches. Spurs could get hot shooting the ball and win a couple of games but Warriors could get hot too. Klay in particular erupted a lot in the playoffs.

Warriors in 7

tpols
09-22-2023, 07:38 PM
The Spurs almost lost to Monta Ellis and super old Dirk in the first round.

None of their players were in their primes. The Big 3 was way past and kawhi was a 10 ppg role player until the Finals. Almost all of their acclaim came from the historic stomping they put on a Heat team that laid down and quit.

The Dubs would've mopped them. They had no one to guard curry and the hyper paced death lineup they employed would've ran an old San Antonio straight off the court.

tpols
09-22-2023, 07:41 PM
I feel like the 14 Spurs stock was elevated quite a bit in the eyes of the public by annihilating Miami in the Finals with a +15.0 rORtg

1000%. It was the biggest margin of defeat ever in Finals history when they didn't look that dominant at all for the other 95% of the season.

Axe
09-22-2023, 07:50 PM

None of their players were in their primes. The Big 3 was way past and kawhi was a 10 ppg role player until the Finals. Almost all of their acclaim came from the historic stomping they put on a Heat team that laid down and quit.

The Dubs would've mopped them. They had no one to guard curry and the hyper paced death lineup they employed would've ran an old San Antonio straight off the court.
Funny how you think the 2015 dubs would outright defeat them in a series matchup. Yet at the same time, think they're underdogs to the 2015 cavs who happened to be lucky in the finals despite almost winning 70 rs games at the time. :confusedshrug:

Carbine
09-22-2023, 08:03 PM
They blew out the Mavs in game 7, it wasn't even close.

Atlanta pushed the Celtics to 7 but got blown out too.

The Durant Warriors pushed by a injury riddled Rockets team.

Spurs played the best team basketball I've ever seen during that run. They could beat anybody, certainly the 2015 Warriors. An inferior team looked like they were going to give the Durant Warriors all they wanted before Kawhi got hurt.

I don't know who wins. The Spurs handled them the previous year in the regular season it seems.

ShawkFactory
09-22-2023, 08:14 PM

So you think the 13 Spurs were better?

hold this L
09-22-2023, 09:18 PM
They blew out the Mavs in game 7, it wasn't even close.

Atlanta pushed the Celtics to 7 but got blown out too.

The Durant Warriors pushed by a injury riddled Rockets team.

Spurs played the best team basketball I've ever seen during that run. They could beat anybody, certainly the 2015 Warriors. An inferior team looked like they were going to give the Durant Warriors all they wanted before Kawhi got hurt.

I don't know who wins. The Spurs handled them the previous year in the regular season it seems.

That Rockets team is probably the best non-championship team in NBA history.

kawhileonard2
09-22-2023, 11:56 PM
Not to doubt the spurs but they were taken to 7 games by the 8th seed mavs bt. And i don't think anyone in the lineup was injured in that run either. After that, they did have a smooth sailing progress tho towards their 5th title.

Spurs could barely handle the 2013 Warriors.

iamgine
09-23-2023, 12:01 AM
Spurs fared well against the Warriors. Posted a 6-1 record against them in the regular season from '14 & '15 season. Curry didn't do that well against Spurs during those times. Plus it would be 1st season Kerr vs Pop.

I would pick the Spurs.

Lebron23
09-26-2023, 06:11 AM
2016 Cavaliers would beat both of them

WhiteKyrie
09-26-2023, 12:36 PM

This is the right answer. 2011 Mavericks and 2014 Spurs are heinously overrated. What do they have in common?

ShawkFactory
09-26-2023, 12:42 PM
This is the right answer. 2011 Mavericks and 2014 Spurs are heinously overrated. What do they have in common?

They were both, for the most part, dominant in the postseason. Pretty important when talking about how good a basketball team is, yea?

WhiteKyrie
09-26-2023, 12:45 PM
They were both, for the most part, dominant in the postseason. Pretty important when talking about how good a basketball team is, yea?
Not the correct answer, also doesn’t hold up to context

SouBeachTalents
09-26-2023, 12:46 PM
The 2011 Mavs are constantly referred to as one of the weakest teams to ever win a championship, your LeBron hatred is making you delusional.

ShawkFactory
09-26-2023, 12:47 PM
Not the correct answer, also doesn’t hold up to context

Sure it does.

Either way though, as mentioned above me, I don't think anyone really refers to the Mavericks like that.

WhiteKyrie
09-26-2023, 01:55 PM
The 2011 Mavs are constantly referred to as one of the weakest teams to ever win a championship, your LeBron hatred is making you delusional.

What? People overrated that 2011 Dirk Maverick squad and his run all the time on here.

RRR3
09-26-2023, 02:07 PM
Coach ranting and raving about LeBron again, must be a day ending in -y

SouBeachTalents
09-26-2023, 02:31 PM
What? People overrated that 2011 Dirk Maverick squad and his run all the time on here.
If you’re talking about the difficulty of the run, yes, it’s always hyped up as the most difficult one of all time. But you start any weakest championship supporting casts argument, it’s a guarantee the Mavs will be included, along with the ‘94 Rockets & ‘03 Spurs.

For a football analogy, the ‘07 Giants would probably get the nod for most difficult Super Bowl run, but are they ever referred to as one of the greatest teams of all time? Hell no :lol Like the Mavs they easily make the list of worst Super Bowl champions ever.

How difficult the run was and how great the team is are two completely different conversations.

WhiteKyrie
09-26-2023, 02:48 PM
If you’re talking about the difficulty of the run, yes, it’s always hyped up as the most difficult one of all time. But you start any weakest championship supporting casts argument, it’s a guarantee the Mavs will be included, along with the ‘94 Rockets & ‘03 Spurs.

For a football analogy, the ‘07 Giants would probably get the nod for most difficult Super Bowl run, but are they ever referred to as one of the greatest teams of all time? Hell no :lol Like the Mavs they easily make the list of worst Super Bowl champions ever.

How difficult the run was and how great the team is are two completely different conversations.
I agree with that. Heat choked away an easy win. And the Mavericks faced the carcasses of a bunch of different teams.