PDA

View Full Version : What's the Greatest NBA rivalry ever?

tpols
09-26-2023, 01:59 PM
Imo Bird vs Magic.

https://youtu.be/1JWQoZNQ-Gs?si=b_vN2-zD3Tspxa13

Imagine getting Larry Bird to cry. Has to be some deep shit.

But open to opinions.

Full Court
09-26-2023, 02:09 PM
Yeah, Bird vs Magic has got to be #1, or maybe #2 behind Wilt and Russell. Other honorable mentions are Jordan/Thomas and Duncan/Shaq.

SouBeachTalents
09-26-2023, 02:11 PM
For players I’d say Wilt vs. Russell, you really couldn’t have had more contrasting personalities than these two had, and unlike Magic & Bird they actually matched up h2h, and did so in high stakes series almost every year.

For teams, nobody will ever agree with me, but I’ll always maintain the fiercest rivalry was Knicks/Heat in the late 90’s. Several fights broke out between the two, and they met 4 years in a row in the playoffs, with all 4 series coming down to the deciding game, with the final 2 series being decided by a single point.

What hurts their argument is neither team ever won a championship, and the style of play was for sure ugly, but these two teams for real HATED each other, and their matchups always came down to the wire.

Kblaze8855
09-26-2023, 02:14 PM
Lakers and Celtics in general but the most hatred was 76ers and Celtics then the Knicks and whoever in the 90s. Bulls. Heat. Pacers. Everyone hated the Knicks. I think the suns hated them too.

tpols
09-26-2023, 02:15 PM
For players I’d say Wilt vs. Russell, you really couldn’t have had more contrasting personalities than these two had, and unlike Magic & Bird they actually matched up h2h, and did so in high stakes series almost every year.

For teams, nobody will ever agree with me, but I’ll always maintain the fiercest rivalry was Knicks/Heat in the late 90’s. Several fights broke out between the two, and they met 4 years in a row in the playoffs, with all 4 series coming down to the deciding game, with the final 2 series being decided by a single point.

What hurts their argument is neither team ever won a championship, and the style of play was for sure ugly, but these two teams for real HATED each other, and their matchups always came down to the wire.

The 90s east was wild with Goon talent. Definitely remember getting my ass kicked playing with street ballers that's snuck into the rutgers campus gym because it wasnt really about basketball, it was just a fight.

bison
09-26-2023, 02:19 PM
Lebron vs Hair Loss

Kblaze8855
09-26-2023, 02:20 PM
Bird fought Doctor J, Barkley, Moses, and Ivaroni and Cedric Maxwell fought Darryl Dawkins and the 76ers crowd. I think the coach got involved once. Philly and Boston had a fight in the preseason once. That’s the hatred the golden age rivalries were build on.

WhiteKyrie
09-26-2023, 02:36 PM
LeCringe vs Respectability

Akeem34TheDream
09-26-2023, 02:57 PM
Shaq vs Kobe

tpols
09-26-2023, 03:14 PM
Bird fought Doctor J, Barkley, Moses, and Ivaroni and Cedric Maxwell fought Darryl Dawkins and the 76ers crowd. I think the coach got involved once. Philly and Boston had a fight in the preseason once. That’s the hatred the golden age rivalries were build on.

It's kinda sad how there's none like that nowadays. Fighting made it more entertaining. I'd be instantly glued to the TV when a fight broke out as was everybody else. Clean up and now you cant touch me basketball is so much more boring.

I want to see a fist fight for once to liven things up.

WhiteKyrie
09-26-2023, 03:20 PM
The 90s east was wild with Goon talent. Definitely remember getting my ass kicked playing with street ballers that's snuck into the rutgers campus gym because it wasnt really about basketball, it was just a fight.

How old are you?

tpols
09-26-2023, 03:28 PM
How old are you?

32 but I watched east basketball growing up going to a bunch of nets games. I haven't been to a live game in like a decade.

WhiteKyrie
09-26-2023, 03:34 PM
32 but I watched east basketball growing up going to a bunch of nets games. I haven't been to a live game in like a decade.
I know, but you made it sound like you were at minimum a teenager or a young man playing 90s street ball as that post insinuated. Just curious. Streetball definitely used to be like that in all major cities, I would say up until the mid 2010s and the post modern Curry / Harden style influence. Now you can’t breathe on somebody without them calling a ***** ass foul.

tpols
09-26-2023, 03:40 PM
I know, but you made it sound like you were at minimum a teenager or a young man playing 90s street ball as that post insinuated. Just curious. Streetball definitely used to be like that in all major cities, I would say up until the mid 2010s and the post modern Curry / Harden style influence. Now you can’t breathe on somebody without them calling a ***** ass foul.

When I was in college in 2010 kids from New Brunswick would sneak / get let into campus gyms to run pick up. It's nowhere near 90s pro ball but it made me realize that it's just a fight playing with guys like that.

Skill doesn't matter as much when you're wrestling all game long and at constant odds to throw hands. There's no refs lol. Pro ballers today have it easier where they can flop and beg for free throws. Calling a foul in street ball is a no go.

Full Court
09-26-2023, 04:30 PM
Lebron vs Hair Loss

That's not a rivarly though. It's a beatdown.

L.Kizzle
09-26-2023, 07:47 PM
Easily Wilt vs Russell. I think they played something like 130+ times (without Google help.) On the other hand Bird and Magic probably faced of less than 30 times.

tpols
09-26-2023, 08:50 PM
Bird is stone cold but in this video you can see what made magic great. His emotional IQ is off the charts. Incredible soul he has.

HoopsNY
09-26-2023, 08:51 PM
90s Heat vs. Knicks was epic.

Xiao Yao You
09-26-2023, 08:55 PM
90s Heat vs. Knicks was epic.

the reason defense isn't allowed today. Was getting closer to football at that point.

kawhileonard2
09-26-2023, 11:04 PM
Jordan vs Magic

Bawkish
09-27-2023, 01:58 AM
Special Mention: Reggie Miller & Spike Lee

Jasper
09-27-2023, 10:13 AM
Bird fought Doctor J, Barkley, Moses, and Ivaroni and Cedric Maxwell fought Darryl Dawkins and the 76ers crowd. I think the coach got involved once. Philly and Boston had a fight in the preseason once. That’s the hatred the golden age rivalries were build on.:milton

Kblaze8855
09-27-2023, 10:30 AM
He wasn’t good enough for me to be googling the proper spelling of his name.

Xiao Yao You
09-27-2023, 10:40 AM
He wasn’t good enough for me to be googling the proper spelling of his name.

good? The guy was awful! Lakers don't win back to back if not for Frank Layden and Mark Ivaroni.

https://youtu.be/7iWweaxB61k?t=500

Wally450
09-27-2023, 10:46 AM
Wilt Russell
Bird Magic
Celtics Lakers
Jordan vs the Pistons

There's not too many good rivalries today.

Axe
09-27-2023, 07:40 PM
Cavs vs. dubs would have been good (if not great) if it weren't for kd.

John8204
09-28-2023, 05:04 AM
The thing with Wilt and Bill is that they were such great friends. I would say Bill/West and Wilt/Kareem were the better rivalries.

For the fans while Lebron/Jordan is a dull toxic affair I think for the high IQ posters those that support John Stockton vs those that support Isiah Thomas as the better all-time PG is the most interesting and passionate debate.

hateraid
09-28-2023, 11:51 AM
Lakers and Celtics in general but the most hatred was 76ers and Celtics then the Knicks and whoever in the 90s. Bulls. Heat. Pacers. Everyone hated the Knicks. I think the suns hated them too.

Yeah we hated the Celtics. Still do, but back then it was visceral.
The whole east was a big rivalry. Sixers, Celtics Pistons, Knicks Pacers.....a little bit of the Bucks and Hawks.

rmt
09-28-2023, 03:22 PM
That I've seen - Magic vs Bird - from college to the NBA.

TheMan
09-28-2023, 03:46 PM
Lebron vs Hair Loss

:lol

Celtics vs Lakers, especially the 80s version.

For me personally, 90s Bulls vs Knicks, it was a war.

Airupthere
09-28-2023, 04:05 PM
Rivalries are gone. It has turned into banana boat/colluding.

Axe
09-28-2023, 05:26 PM
Just a big L for patrick chewing.