PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson on Stephen Curry calling himself the Goat point guard

Lebron23
09-28-2023, 05:45 AM
Magic Johnson on Steph Curry calling himself the GOAT point guard:

“If he’s got more than 5 championships, more than 3 Finals MVPs, 3 league MVPs, #1 assists all time in the Finals then he’s the greatest...

but the last time I checked, he doesn’t.”

Magic speaking facts here

-Twister 🌀

j3lademaster
09-28-2023, 08:05 AM
Curry’s wrong, but he’s also the only guy who can make that claim without sounding too ridiculous.

bdonovan
09-28-2023, 08:14 AM
Except Championships are a team accomplishment not an individual accomplishment.

The game has evolved so far since Magic played. The conditioning, the training, the sheer skill level. Those games from the 80's look like they're played in slow motion by guys with very modest muscle mass.

In Magic's day, only a handful of players could consistently hit teardrop layups that arcs up over a jumping defender. Now it seems everyone in the league, even power forwards can gracefully make that shot.

The trajectory of the NBA is such that whoever comes after Curry 20 years from now, might also be playing the game at a much higher level than Curry did and be a far superior player. That's how progress works.

That's not to take away from the older greats like Magic. Today's players are standing on their shoulders and building off the game they perfected in their day. Just as the future best PG to who have played the game years from now will no doubt have been inspired by Curry.

Kblaze8855
09-28-2023, 10:01 AM
The trajectory of the NBA is such that whoever comes after Curry 20 years from now, might also be playing the game at a much higher level than Curry did and be a far superior player. That's how progress works.

It really doesn’t. It does plateau eventually and the gains come from things like equipment and better resources to find people who previous generations wouldn’t so you get closer and closer to the limit of human potential…but there is one.

Nobody is gonna be hitting 69 foot off hand floaters at 88% no matter how long people play basketball. It won’t happen for 60 thousand years.

A soft limit is hit and what changes is how people play not how good they are on a basic level.

I don’t think the best players have improved a bit in 40 years. What improves is what percentage of potentially good players are found and trained which increases depth. But that’s offset by expansion so it’s hard to say what the final result is teams wise.

Axe
09-28-2023, 10:03 AM
If the gerbil also has three finals MVPs as magic, then his case would be very convincing. Unfortunately for him, reality begs to differ rn.

warriorfan
09-28-2023, 10:10 AM
magic johnson is low key mentally retarded

Da_Realist
09-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Magic Johnson on Steph Curry calling himself the GOAT point guard:

“If he’s got more than 5 championships, more than 3 Finals MVPs, 3 league MVPs, #1 assists all time in the Finals then he’s the greatest...

but the last time I checked, he doesn’t.”

Magic speaking facts here

-Twister ��

5 championships
3 Regular Season MVPs
3 Finals MVPs
1986-87 -- Led the league in assists per game, won both Reg Season MVP and Finals MVP
Led the league in 6 categories during his career (4 offensive, 2 defensive)

Magic has this outsized personality and he's mostly deferential so it's easy to forget how dominant this man was.

Axe
09-28-2023, 10:30 AM
5 championships
3 Regular Season MVPs
3 Finals MVPs
1986-87 -- Led the league in assists per game, won both Reg Season MVP and Finals MVP
Led the league in 6 categories during his career (4 offensive, 2 defensive)

Magic has this outsized personality and he's mostly deferential so it's easy to forget how dominant this man was.
His hiv definitely affected how his career rounded up. He didn't reach 15 seasons in the league and thus, the accumulated stats he had are lower than many guys in the hof. Regardless, he's still had a solid tenure.

Xiao Yao You
09-28-2023, 10:40 AM
His hiv definitely affected how his career rounded up. He didn't reach 15 seasons in the league and thus, the accumulated stats he had are lower than many guys in the hof. Regardless, he's still had a solid tenure.

The bot thinks one of the greats had a solid tenure :lol

Axe
09-28-2023, 10:42 AM
It was a typo. Should have been 'resume' instead, you baguette-obsessed buffoon.

Xiao Yao You
09-28-2023, 11:11 AM
It was a typo. Should have been 'resume' instead, you baguette-obsessed buffoon.

solid was the funny part bot. A lot of people here obsessed with Gobert. Rarely am I the one to bring him up though :roll:

ILLsmak
09-28-2023, 06:24 PM
It really doesn’t. It does plateau eventually and the gains come from things like equipment and better resources to find people who previous generations wouldn’t so you get closer and closer to the limit of human potential…but there is one.

Nobody is gonna be hitting 69 foot off hand floaters at 88% no matter how long people play basketball. It won’t happen for 60 thousand years.

A soft limit is hit and what changes is how people play not how good they are on a basic level.

I don’t think the best players have improved a bit in 40 years. What improves is what percentage of potentially good players are found and trained which increases depth. But that’s offset by expansion so it’s hard to say what the final result is teams wise.

You're not wrong, but the premise is flawed in that 69 foot off hand floaters would ever be a shot people did. Shooting is something people overrate in importance. It's a fast game and you can be the best shooter ever and have an off game. People being able to get better shots is more important. Funny thing is... the ego / boredom of repetition / fan excitement also play into it. People are going to continue to push the limit of what they do, what other people can't, even at the expense of efficiency, just because they can. People can dribble better and shoot better now, and they are more athletic, but I think some of the old NBA stiffs might be more effective in the paint than, say, one of the Morris twins. If that makes sense.

It's like the dunk contest. People are doing wilder dunks, but are they 'better?' To me, the artistic dunks that people were doing before they had to put it under their legs twice or w/e were more interesting. The more you do something on that level, the less chance you have to express it artistically because you HAVE to move your body a certain way. That's prol why a lot of MJs long dunks are so iconic, he got all of that hang time to express. Bouncing it off someone's head, jumping over a car, catching it and going between the legs is more complex, but is it harder to emulate? I wonder. I haven't seen anyone work their body like those old guys, no homo.

It's the same thing with in game. JJ Redick was saying the old meme BOB COUSY COULDN'T DRIBBLE WITH HIS LEFT HAND! I have high confidence ol Bobby would 7-0 Redick almost every time ( lay ups.) He would break his will. People have newer and better tools (cars, heads, between legs) but that doesn't necessarily mean they are able to use them better. I watched old games w/ Oak banging 3s. Mourning could bang 3s. I don't even think that was shorter line, either. Dudes are more groomed for their roles, and roles have changed, but like I said, I think people underestimate those stiffs like Adam Keefe or whoever. I bet old dude would bust ass in the NBA now, even without a new age skill set. He wouldn't be a star, but he'd be a possible starter, as he was.

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
09-28-2023, 06:29 PM
You're not wrong, but the premise is flawed in that 69 foot off hand floaters would ever be a shot people did. Shooting is something people overrate in importance. It's a fast game and you can be the best shooter ever and have an off game. People being able to get better shots is more important. Funny thing is... the ego / boredom of repetition / fan excitement also play into it. People are going to continue to push the limit of what they do, what other people can't, even at the expense of efficiency, just because they can. People can dribble better and shoot better now, and they are more athletic, but I think some of the old NBA stiffs might be more effective in the paint than, say, one of the Morris twins. If that makes sense.

It's like the dunk contest. People are doing wilder dunks, but are they 'better?' To me, the artistic dunks that people were doing before they had to put it under their legs twice or w/e were more interesting. The more you do something on that level, the less chance you have to express it artistically because you HAVE to move your body a certain way. That's prol why a lot of MJs long dunks are so iconic, he got all of that hang time to express. Bouncing it off someone's head, jumping over a car, catching it and going between the legs is more complex, but is it harder to emulate? I wonder. I haven't seen anyone work their body like those old guys, no homo.

It's the same thing with in game. JJ Redick was saying the old meme BOB COUSY COULDN'T DRIBBLE WITH HIS LEFT HAND! I have high confidence ol Bobby would 7-0 Redick almost every time ( lay ups.) He would break his will. People have newer and better tools (cars, heads, between legs) but that doesn't necessarily mean they are able to use them better. I watched old games w/ Oak banging 3s. Mourning could bang 3s. I don't even think that was shorter line, either. Dudes are more groomed for their roles, and roles have changed, but like I said, I think people underestimate those stiffs like Adam Keefe or whoever. I bet old dude would bust ass in the NBA now, even without a new age skill set. He wouldn't be a star, but he'd be a possible starter, as he was.

-Smak

loved Keefe when he was there. Hardly a stiff. Don't remember Oakley and Mourning hitting many 3's but Oakley was a face up shooter. He couldn't do much around the basket

Lebron23
09-28-2023, 07:19 PM

-Smak
Huh? JJ Reddick would destroy Bob Cousy. The talent gap between modern nba players and those who player in the 1950’s to 1960’s is huge.

8Ball
09-28-2023, 07:22 PM
magic johnson is low key mentally retarded

This. Self destructed on the Lakers as the President.

Listed a bunch of "assist" stats but totally ignored the most 3 point shots in playoffs history + more points than magic in the playoffs and finals.

And then used the "rangz" argument as if he didn't have Kareem for 10 years.

fsvr54
09-28-2023, 07:25 PM
Except Championships are a team accomplishment not an individual accomplishment.

The game has evolved so far since Magic played. The conditioning, the training, the sheer skill level. Those games from the 80's look like they're played in slow motion by guys with very modest muscle mass.

In Magic's day, only a handful of players could consistently hit teardrop layups that arcs up over a jumping defender. Now it seems everyone in the league, even power forwards can gracefully make that shot.

That's not to take away from the older greats like Magic. Today's players are standing on their shoulders and building off the game they perfected in their day. Just as the future best PG to who have played the game years from now will no doubt have been inspired by Curry.

A zoomer take that is absolutely brainless and wrong. Maybe you need your brain or eyes checked.

ILLsmak
09-28-2023, 07:28 PM
Huh? JJ Reddick would destroy Bob Cousy. The talent gap between modern nba players and those who player in the 1950’s to 1960’s is huge.

honestly I don't think so. I think you'd be surprised. Cous would be running a lay up drill. JJ might not get shut out, but I doubt he could beat him in 1 on 1, and yea it doesn't really matter who is better at 1 v 1 (because imo cous would be a higher impact player in 5s, too,) but the fact that he would roast him in 1 on 1 with his one handed dribbling is much more embarrassing to JJ. JJ doesn't get it.

Imagine, you get the ball at the top and who is getting to the rim more? Cous. You think JJ is gonna go around him? No. He might rise up and make some shots, but he's gonna get dusted on the other end. Eventually Cous gets ball and it's dun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqn6xlRvEE lol

-Smak

Lebron23
09-28-2023, 08:05 PM
honestly I don't think so. I think you'd be surprised. Cous would be running a lay up drill. JJ might not get shut out, but I doubt he could beat him in 1 on 1, and yea it doesn't really matter who is better at 1 v 1 (because imo cous would be a higher impact player in 5s, too,) but the fact that he would roast him in 1 on 1 with his one handed dribbling is much more embarrassing to JJ. JJ doesn't get it.

Imagine, you get the ball at the top and who is getting to the rim more? Cous. You think JJ is gonna go around him? No. He might rise up and make some shots, but he's gonna get dusted on the other end. Eventually Cous gets ball and it's dun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIqn6xlRvEE lol

-Smak

Sounds like a posts from a guy who never play basketball. I watched highlights of Cousy on YouTube. I can average 42 ppg playing in that league. BC is also a turnover machine. I think he averaged 6-8 turnovers and also an inefficient scorer during that time.

Xiao Yao You
09-28-2023, 08:11 PM
Sounds like a posts from a guy who never play basketball. I watched highlights of Cousy on YouTube. I can average 42 ppg playing in that league. BC is also a turnover machine. I think he averaged 6-8 turnovers and also an inefficient scorer during that time.

:roll:

Axe
09-28-2023, 08:16 PM

Casuals are whining about what happened to today's defense tho. :ohwell:

warriorfan
09-28-2023, 08:33 PM

Bob Cousy is like a full foot taller then you. You would get wrecked.

eliteballer
09-28-2023, 09:59 PM

The rules have made it easier to look skilled by softening the game.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ENZGMvKU4AAqm2x.jpg

https://img.bleacherreport.net/img/images/photos/003/824/304/hi-res-cccb4b0780487ed5481997b9d58a7fcc_crop_exact.jpg?w= 1200&h=1200&q=75

Full Court
09-28-2023, 11:31 PM

I can see how you can make a "typo", miss a keystroke or two, and end up with "tenure" instead of "resume."

What a dodo.

Axe
09-28-2023, 11:38 PM
Not as dumb tho as saying or thinking that grant williams is still with the celtics. Or being unaware that arvydas sabonis wasn't selected for an all-star team bt. :confusedshrug: :oldlol:

Now cue in the autistic meltdown in 3, 2, 1... :lebronamazed:

kawhileonard2
09-28-2023, 11:46 PM

Accumulated stats isn't the reason someone is greater, it is the more accolades and peak/prime

Lebron23
09-29-2023, 12:18 AM
Bob Cousy is like a full foot taller then you. You would get wrecked.

You two are going to get wrecked. You slanted drug addict.

FultzNationRISE
09-29-2023, 12:50 AM
It’s interesting because players today have better nutrition and training and access to every basketball related move or idea that ever came before them.

At the same time, if basketball players are in line with the general population, their testosterone has plummeted compared to the old heads or previous generation, because life has simply gotten easier. Dudes back then were a lot tougher, theres no question. It’s an empirical fact people today have way less test than they did 60 years ago. Hell tobacco even supposedly raises testosterone, and a bunch of the old NBA players actually smoked :oldlol:

If you gave all the old heads modern technique and training but allowed them to keep their same upbringing and toughness, theyd be pretty damn good. That said, the fact the game has grown so much globally does beget a larger total pool of freakish talents.

Anyway, the rules and gameplay are so drastically different, you cant say who the best is without specifying the era youre comparing them in. Today’s players will be better at today’s game, yesterdays players may be better than the current NBA crop at yesterdays game.

Only thing we can say for sure is Lebron is the GOAT of every era.

nayte
09-29-2023, 04:42 AM
It's funny how people say rings are a team accomplishment but not realising stats are also that. They will change depending on your role with a team
In saying that there's a big disconnect between what fans and players consider for goat recognition

WhiteKyrie
09-29-2023, 08:20 AM

Obviously. But given in basketball the best player on the floor is playing on both ends and has the most control over a games outcome. Championships for the best player on the team are parameters and a barometer of how great they are. You can’t just shrug them off like that, that’s why you play the game.

GimmeThat
09-29-2023, 10:00 AM
can I still be qualified as a PG if I can pump fake and/or make set shots

Airupthere
09-29-2023, 11:12 AM

Lol delusional :roll:

dankok8
09-29-2023, 11:16 AM
Cous would destroy Lebron23. Heck a 90 year old Cous is still a better shooter. People underestimate professional players and just how good they are.

Xiao Yao You
09-29-2023, 11:31 AM
Cous would destroy Lebron23. Heck a 90 year old Cous is still a better shooter. People underestimate professional players and just how good they are.

go watch Cousy's last game. He was hitting shots

MrFonzworth
09-29-2023, 11:34 AM

You don't even average 10 in your ymca Filipino league where you're primarily guarded by women

Full Court
09-29-2023, 11:40 AM
But who has the better tenure, oooooops, I mean resume, between Curry and Magic?

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.animalencyclopedia.info%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F03%2Fdodo.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ce555cc21a46569e6c9d0292a0aea2cfcc809ed86ff9af 905721a398deaeb5ea&ipo=images

Xiao Yao You
09-29-2023, 11:45 AM
But who has the better tenure, oooooops, I mean resume, between Curry and Magic?

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.animalencyclopedia.info%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2018%2F03%2Fdodo.jpg&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ce555cc21a46569e6c9d0292a0aea2cfcc809ed86ff9af 905721a398deaeb5ea&ipo=images

assume Curry has been solid as well?

Axe
09-29-2023, 04:25 PM
What I find hilarious is I picked apart why his points were so illogical & retarded, he then responds by proving my point by saying "territority".

:lol
What an absolute dumbass! :yaohappy:

Full Court
09-29-2023, 05:23 PM

Curry has been solid. A very solid tenure.

Can dodos get autism?

Axe
09-29-2023, 05:45 PM
I've heard the gerbil also faced grant williams (who's said to be still with the celtics btw) in the 2022 finals. Is it true, bub?

Full Court
09-29-2023, 07:55 PM
You don't even average 10 in your ymca Filipino league where you're primarily guarded by women

I guess he doesn't have good tenure then.

Axe
09-29-2023, 07:57 PM
Obviously. But given in basketball the best player on the floor is playing on both ends and has the most control over a games outcome. Championships for the best player on the team are parameters and a barometer of how great they are. You can’t just shrug them off like that, that’s why you play the game.
They also play better on their own territority.

Full Court
09-29-2023, 08:36 PM

Very true. Championships are a good measure of tenure, which is why dumb dodos stamp their feet when their heroes don't win one.

Axe
09-29-2023, 08:39 PM
Sga can do that. You know, the pg who led the thunder to somewhere 4th-6th seed last season. A certain dumbass gingie thought so before.

Full Court
09-29-2023, 09:24 PM

Yes. That will help boost your tenure. :lol

Axe
09-29-2023, 10:08 PM
:roll: (https://i.ibb.co/g4tnXnv/IMG-20230626-052542.jpg)

Full Court
09-29-2023, 10:52 PM

https://images2.imgbox.com/46/54/Pqbx6ZNa_o.png

Axe
09-29-2023, 11:39 PM
It's funny how people say rings are a team accomplishment but not realising stats are also that. They will change depending on your role with a team
In saying that there's a big disconnect between what fans and players consider for goat recognition
The bill russell celtics had hof players with similar average stats. Didn't stop them at all from dominating bt but it also meant that only a select few got individual awards, unlike their hollywood rivals. (https://i.ibb.co/JmpGnKz/IMG-20230528-095117.jpg)

Full Court
09-30-2023, 08:39 AM

Yeah, some people on here have trouble comprehending that it's a team sport we're talking about, and everything an individual accomplishes is in context of the team.

ILLsmak
09-30-2023, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a posts from a guy who never play basketball. I watched highlights of Cousy on YouTube. I can average 42 ppg playing in that league.

You kinda played yourself with this haha. Say it out loud.

If you say someone like WB would dominate Cousy because of just being bigger, faster, stronger, I could dig it, but JJ is not that dude. My point is that BC actually has a better skill set than JJ. It's funny because it WAS very long ago, but it's good to note because JJ is acting like him not dribbling with his left hand is a big deal when, as I said, his skill set, years earlier, translates better to the nba than JJ's. haha.

Check out more highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/0jKLwjfkkQw

JJ's nitemare. Dude would have JJ falling all over himself. I kinda wonder if he just said that stuff to get his name in the news because he went at Larry Bird, too.

Edit: I know you have the ability to record. I know that's not *that* hard of a shot, but post a vid of you making that shot haha. Not in the NBA, just in your back yard or whatever. See how many tries it takes you.

-Smak

warriorfan
09-30-2023, 10:58 AM

If you say someone like WB would dominate Cousy because of just being bigger, faster, stronger, I could dig it, but JJ is not that dude. My point is that BC actually has a better skill set than JJ. It's funny because it WAS very long ago, but it's good to note because JJ is acting like him not dribbling with his left hand is a big deal when, as I said, his skill set, years earlier, translates better to the nba than JJ's. haha.

JJ's nitemare. Dude would have JJ falling all over himself. I kinda wonder if he just said that stuff to get his name in the news because he went at Larry Bird, too.

Edit: I know you have the ability to record. I know that's not *that* hard of a shot, but post a vid of you making that shot haha. Not in the NBA, just in your back yard or whatever. See how many tries it takes you.

-Smak

:applause: :roll:

Axe
09-30-2023, 03:26 PM

-Smak
:cheers:

Full Court
09-30-2023, 04:25 PM

You coudln't average 12 ppg at a local U.S. YMCA. Typical delusional Bronie.^

FKAri
09-30-2023, 04:37 PM
"And that right there made me the GOAT PG" - Steph Curry

Axe
09-30-2023, 04:43 PM
At least magic didn't blow a 3-1 lead in the finals with a 70-win team lol

Full Court
09-30-2023, 05:40 PM

:oldlol:

Axe
09-30-2023, 06:08 PM
It’s interesting because players today have better nutrition and training and access to every basketball related move or idea that ever came before them.

At the same time, if basketball players are in line with the general population, their testosterone has plummeted compared to the old heads or previous generation, because life has simply gotten easier. Dudes back then were a lot tougher, theres no question. It’s an empirical fact people today have way less test than they did 60 years ago. Hell tobacco even supposedly raises testosterone, and a bunch of the old NBA players actually smoked :oldlol:

If you gave all the old heads modern technique and training but allowed them to keep their same upbringing and toughness, theyd be pretty damn good. That said, the fact the game has grown so much globally does beget a larger total pool of freakish talents.

Anyway, the rules and gameplay are so drastically different, you cant say who the best is without specifying the era youre comparing them in. Today’s players will be better at today’s game, yesterdays players may be better than the current NBA crop at yesterdays game.

Only thing we can say for sure is Lebron is the GOAT of every era.
I wonder what sf would think about this. (https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQXjsbxHgWKVzGIpCDFUbmq7cu8YziwX xzr6g&usqp=CAU)

Full Court
09-30-2023, 07:54 PM
:applause: :roll:

Axe
09-30-2023, 08:29 PM
This. Self destructed on the Lakers as the President.

Listed a bunch of "assist" stats but totally ignored the most 3 point shots in playoffs history + more points than magic in the playoffs and finals.

And then used the "rangz" argument as if he didn't have Kareem for 10 years.
Interesting to see that he also has been to almost ten finals.

Lebron23
09-30-2023, 09:34 PM
You coudln't average 12 ppg at a local U.S. YMCA. Typical delusional Bronie.^

I actually averaged 20 ppg and 6 apg in my recent basketball league

Full Court
09-30-2023, 10:26 PM
I actually averaged 20 ppg and 6 apg in my recent basketball league

You posted videos of your league. The average American 11 year old could average 25 in that league. At least you're getting exercise though. It's good for you.