PDA

View Full Version : TRADE: Jrue Holiday to the Celtics for Timelord, Brogdan and 2 firsts.

Kblaze8855
10-01-2023, 12:06 PM
So says Woj.

Kblaze8855
10-01-2023, 12:07 PM
https://www.hostpic.org/images/2310012137100293.jpeg

Kblaze8855
10-01-2023, 12:09 PM
They got timelord two firsts and Brogdon who I bet they trade for more. I had to double check to make sure it was the real Woj when I read all that. Blazers ****ing got it in.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 12:09 PM
Ayton backing up Robert Williams?

Wally450
10-01-2023, 12:14 PM
Wonder what we’re doing for our big man situation.

Kblaze8855
10-01-2023, 12:16 PM
Ayton backing up Robert Williams?

I love the guy but he’s played 24 minutes a game once in his career. Probably best to let him play in bursts for another year or so as he gets healthy.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 12:17 PM

Olynyk is available

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 12:18 PM
I don't like trading Williams at all. I may be alone in this but thinking long term I wouldn't trade him for Holiday one for one. Healthy Brogdon isn't that far behind Holiday just by himself. If Brogdon was still posed then sure. Jim and some firsts. But including Williams? I hope I'm wrong.

Kblaze8855
10-01-2023, 12:20 PM
I don't like trading Williams at all. I may be alone in this but thinking long term I wouldn't trade him for Holiday one for one. Healthy Brogdon isn't that far behind Holiday just by himself. If Brogdon was still posed then sure. Jim and some firsts. But including Williams? I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe Boston is using inside info on his medical situation and the Blazers are willing to take a chance despite their history of taking such chances not working out.

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 12:21 PM
They should give Dwight Howard a shot. He could even start for the sake of preserving Horford.

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 12:22 PM
Maybe Boston is using inside info on his medical situation and the Blazers are willing to take a chance despite their history of taking such chances not working out.

Very possible but right now I don't like it.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 12:23 PM
They should give Dwight Howard a shot. He could even start for the sake of preserving Horford.

Good luck with that. Whiteside is available too! :roll:

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 12:26 PM
Good luck with that. Whiteside is available too! :roll:

You're favorite player is basically an inferior version of Howard in his prime. Howard is no longer in his prime but with the offensive talent the Celtics can bring it a big that can rebound and block shots is all that is required. And Howard is also experienced in the playoffs.

Kblaze8855
10-01-2023, 12:26 PM
Very possible but right now I don't like it.

Id hate giving him up, but they have to be used to not having him by now and you do need a Point guard. You’re also going to need somebody to guard Lillard and Jrue absolutely shut him down a while back in the playoffs. Dame considers him the best man to man defender in the league off that one series. It was some time ago but he kinda destroyed him on both ends.

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 12:29 PM
Id hate giving him up, but they have to be used to not having him by now and you do need a Point guard. You’re also going to need somebody to guard Lillard and Jrue absolutely shut him down a while back in the playoffs. Dame considers him the best man to man defender in the league off that one series. It was some time ago but he kinda destroyed him on both ends.

I do still believe in this team but Robert Williams is going to collect DPoY trophies. Also the Celtics do now need another big.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 12:31 PM
You're favorite player is basically an inferior version of Howard in his prime. Howard is no longer in his prime but with the offensive talent the Celtics can bring it a big that can rebound and block shots is all that is required. And Howard is also experienced in the playoffs.

Howard is playing in Taiwan or Puerto Rico or wherever for good reason.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 12:33 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski: That’s the current tally on Damian Lillard trade, anyway: Portland plans to keep Robert Williams to pair with Deandre Ayton, sources say, but there has certainly been interest in veteran Malcolm Brogdon and expect teams will be calling on him. Blazers are committed to young guards (https://*********.com/social/).
– via Twitter wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn)

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 12:35 PM
Howard is playing in Taiwan or Puerto Rico or wherever for good reason.

He has definitely declined but every player that is capable of playing in the NBA isn't necessarily in the NBA. I know that him being in Asia looks bad but the last time I saw him play he could still rebound and block shots. He's still in great shape and still strong. No harm for the Celtics to give him a look.

highwhey
10-01-2023, 12:37 PM
suns would be unstoppable with brogdon. blazers owe us for bending us over on the ayton deal, but i'm sure they won't give us any favor for that.

Axe
10-01-2023, 12:38 PM
Ugh. :(

highwhey
10-01-2023, 12:39 PM
i guess this solves the "whos going to replace marcus smart defensive role"

celtics>>>bucks. unless tatum chokes again.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 12:40 PM
He has definitely declined but every player that is capable of playing in the NBA isn't necessarily in the NBA. I know that him being in Asia looks bad but the last time I saw him play he could still rebound and block shots. He's still in great shape and still strong. No harm for the Celtics to give him a look.

yeah they could certainly give him a look like GS did. GS ended up with Rudy Gay's corpse and Rodney McGruder they were so impressed with their look

bison
10-01-2023, 12:43 PM
Gotta wonder what embiid thinks of these eastern conference teams making big moves while the sixers continue to sit on harden

highwhey
10-01-2023, 12:48 PM
Gotta wonder what embiid thinks of these eastern conference teams making big moves while the sixers continue to sit on harden

https://a.cdn-hotels.com/gdcs/production81/d305/dd228943-8b28-443d-bfbb-99599e38b471.jpg?impolicy=fcrop&w=800&h=533&q=medium

tpols
10-01-2023, 12:50 PM
That's not a good deal. Brogdan is almost as good as jrue himself but much younger. Never mind throwing in one of the best defensive centers in the league and picks. Big L by Boston.

Axe
10-01-2023, 12:52 PM
That's not a good deal. Brogdan is almost as good as jrue himself but much younger. Never mind throwing in one of the best defensive centers in the league and picks. Big L by Boston.
True. Jrue is a likeable guy but he's getting older and the Cs gave a bit much just to get him.

bison
10-01-2023, 12:56 PM

Who is going to replace Robert Williams? Giannis and embiid are gonna feast on horford and KP.

Also it’s hilarious Holiday ended up on the Celtics because that is the worse case scenario for the bucks. You just gave your conference rival an elite defender. They should have had more control over where holiday went by getting a 4th team involved in the dame trade rather than send him to Portland which was an obvious layover for him

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 01:14 PM
yeah they could certainly give him a look like GS did. GS ended up with Rudy Gay's corpse and Rodney McGruder they were so impressed with their look

If you are signing a free agent in October it's going to be someone that other teams passed on. Who are you expecting to be available? Just because the Warriors didn't think he could help doesn't mean no team can use him.

highwhey
10-01-2023, 01:18 PM
Who is going to replace Robert Williams? Giannis and embiid are gonna feast on horford and KP.

Also it’s hilarious Holiday ended up on the Celtics because that is the worse case scenario for the bucks. You just gave your conference rival an elite defender. They should have had more control over where holiday went by getting a 4th team involved in the dame trade rather than send him to Portland which was an obvious layover for him

if you're the celtics, embiid isn't much of a concern.

and giannis is going to get 45 whistles a game regardless of who's guarding. but he isn't going to beat tthe celtics alone, and dame will have his hands full on both ends bc now he has to contest 3 wings while being guarded by possibly the best guard defender in Jrue. on paper, celtics have them on a tilt.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 01:20 PM
If you are signing a free agent in October it's going to be someone that other teams passed on. Who are you expecting to be available? Just because the Warriors didn't think he could help doesn't mean no team can use him.

Everyone has passed on him for a few years. Must be reasons

FultzNationRISE
10-01-2023, 01:21 PM
Love it for the Blazers, like it for the Celtics.

Porzingis is an elite rim protector, it wouldnt have hurt to play him and TL together but it isnt necessary. If they go Jrue, Brown, Tatum, Horford and Zingis together that is a scary defensive team. And Horford gives you much more spacing. They paid a steep price and thinned out their bench a bit but that team can compete with the Bucks.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 01:23 PM
Love it for the Blazers, like it for the Celtics.

Porzingis is an elite rim protector, it wouldnt have hurt to play him and TL together but it isnt necessary. If they go Jrue, Brown, Tatum, Horford and Zingis together that is a scary defensive team. And Horford gives you much more spacing. They paid a steep price and thinned out their bench a bit but that team can compete with the Bucks.

can you count on Porzingas? Last year was the most games he'd played since his 2nd year in the league

FultzNationRISE
10-01-2023, 01:25 PM
Adrian Wojnarowski: That’s the current tally on Damian Lillard trade, anyway: Portland plans to keep Robert Williams to pair with Deandre Ayton, sources say, but there has certainly been interest in veteran Malcolm Brogdon and expect teams will be calling on him. Blazers are committed to young guards (https://*********.com/social/).
– via Twitter wojespn (https://twitter.com/wojespn)

Scoot Henderson, Anfernee Simons, Deandre Ayton and Time Lord.

I mean these are talented individuals but that is not a long term core IMO. The collective IQ is just not gonna be contender caliber. Thats not intended to be condescending it’s just the analytical reality.

FultzNationRISE
10-01-2023, 01:26 PM
can you count on Porzingas? Last year was the most games he'd played since his 2nd year in the league

Well no, you cant count on him objectively, but theyre taking a chance with him so they might as well take this chance too. Theyre pot committed.

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 01:30 PM
Everyone has passed on him for a few years. Must be reasons

He's not a modern big. This is a known fact. What you are not addressing is which better bigs are available.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 01:32 PM
He's not a modern big. This is a known fact. What you are not addressing is which better bigs are available.

anyone not named Demarcus or Hassan

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 01:34 PM
anyone not named Demarcus or Hassan

Which is who?

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 01:38 PM
Which is who?

https://*********.com/lists/2023-nba-free-agent-top-centers/

guys that rebound and block shots on that list

JohnMax
10-01-2023, 01:48 PM
NBA GMs are deliberately stacking deck for teams (Bucks, Celtics, Suns) they think can stop Lebron from winning a 5th championship.

But they will fail because their opponent is not Lebron but God. God wants Wembenyama to be GOAT. Followed by Lebron. Than in last place is Jordan. There's nothing NBA GMs can do to stop this.

So despite having Tatum avatar, Giannis being my favorite international player all-time. I'm still going to root for Lebron to win his 5th championship this upcoming season.

FultzNationRISE
10-01-2023, 01:57 PM
NBA GMs are deliberately stacking deck for teams (Bucks, Celtics, Suns) they think can stop Lebron from winning a 5th championship.

But they will fail because their opponent is not Lebron but God. God wants Wembenyama to be GOAT. Followed by Lebron. Than in last place is Jordan. There's nothing NBA GMs can do to stop this.

So despite having Tatum avatar, Giannis being my favorite international player all-time. I'm still going to root for Lebron to win his 5th championship this season.

JohnMax you have been on the cutting edge for years at posting with a consistent ambiguity that nobody could discern if you were just an honestly crazy person or an intentional troll.

Please dont lose that discipline.

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 03:18 PM
Worth pointing out: Portland has already laid out a good foundation for the post-Lillaird rebuild. In two years they could be as good as they ever were with him.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 03:19 PM
Worth pointing out: Portland has already laid out a good foundation for the post-Lillaird rebuild. In two years they could be as good as they ever were with him.

Maybe when they flip Ayton assuming they can

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 03:20 PM
Shams Charania: Free agent F/C Wenyen Gabriel is finalizing a deal with the Boston Celtics, (https://*********.com/social/) sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Gabriel, who averaged 5.5 PPG and 4.2 RPG for Lakers last season, will compete for a reserve big man spot in Boston.

– via Twitter ShamsCharania (https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania)

you got your guy and he's not a headcase either!

Im Still Ballin
10-01-2023, 03:54 PM
I tentatively like this trade for Boston. If they can stay healthy, watch out!

Hey Yo
10-01-2023, 04:22 PM

Woj said they signed Wendall Gabriel to a training camp deal.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1708557665083760855?t=7O7tgCNiTDNCmtuW9viJXQ&s=19

.I see Xaio already has covered it.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 04:24 PM
Woj said they signed Wendall Gabriel to a training camp deal.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1708557665083760855?t=7O7tgCNiTDNCmtuW9viJXQ&s=19

did not know that

ILLsmak
10-01-2023, 05:00 PM
Rmwg, the table set to depend completely on porzingis stayin healthy / fitting. Wow.

Their healthy five looks good is about what u can say. I got a bad feeling, but hope they do ok.

-Smak

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 05:00 PM
Blake Griffin is an obvious choice that the Celtics continue to show interest in a return, now with the possibility of a bigger role. For now, the big man remains on the sidelines ahead of training camp as he spends time with family and weighs his future per sources (https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/10/what-surprise-jrue-holiday-trade-means-for-celtics-roster-options.html).
– via Brian Robb @ Booth Newspapers (https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/10/what-surprise-jrue-holiday-trade-means-for-celtics-roster-options.html)

NBAGOAT
10-01-2023, 05:24 PM
I like the deal. Brogdon is nice but he’s a neutral impact guy, jrue with his flaws is an all star and going be a 4th option. They are relying a lot on porzingis but I think they can find a bench big before trade deadline or play kornet more. Timelord is a good piece but was too injury prone for them and the Celtics 3rd big. He wasn’t getting big minutes in playoffs unless porzingis was injuref

HylianNightmare
10-01-2023, 06:08 PM
Love it

FultzNationRISE
10-01-2023, 06:34 PM
Howard’s immature attention wh0re persona doesnt fit this Celtics team’s energy. I‘d pass.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 06:46 PM
Howard’s immature attention wh0re persona doesnt fit this Celtics team’s energy. I‘d pass.

as every franchise in the world outside Taiwan has for a few years

Wally450
10-01-2023, 07:26 PM

When did Tatum choke?

bladefd
10-01-2023, 07:31 PM

What?? Bucks are still a much more complete team and have a slightly better starting 5.

Lopez > Porz
Giannis > Tatum
Middleton = Brown
Beasley < Jrue
Lillard > White

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 07:51 PM
What?? Bucks are still a much more complete team and have a slightly better starting 5.

Lopez > Porz
Giannis > Tatum
Middleton = Brown
Beasley < Jrue
Lillard > White

Porzingis is statistically better than Lopez, who at 35 is a candidate for decline. Middleton was not AllNBA last year. He may have recovered a bit more but we also may have seen the player he will be going forward while last year a still improving JB was as good as he's ever been.

highwhey
10-01-2023, 08:00 PM

Lopez > Porz INCORRECT, Porz is a good defensively and SIGNIFICANTLY better at Offense
Giannis > Tatum CORRECT
Middleton = Brown I'd give the edge to brown
Beasley < Jrue CORRECT
Lillard > White CORRECTT
I count 3 better Celtics starters

They literally made this trade to contain Dame and I think the plan will work now that they have Jrue and Porzingis.

bladefd
10-01-2023, 08:14 PM
Porzingis is statistically better than Lopez, who at 35 is a candidate for decline. Middleton was not AllNBA last year. He may have recovered a bit more but we also may have seen the player he will be going forward while last year a still improving JB was as good as he's ever been.

Porz is always hurt. So is his backup Horford last few years. Lopez rarely gets hurt. Availability is half the game.

Middleton was coming off an injury last year. Both are also very inefficient. Brown averages few more points per game because he shoots few more shots per game. Both are about equal to me even if Brown is a bit better athlete.

Jasper
10-01-2023, 08:41 PM
this was sell the farm to get Holiday ... they have no bench now LMFAO

Proctor
10-01-2023, 08:42 PM
Incredible get for Boston but giving up Williams is surprising to say the least and very much damaging. Brogdon is nothing and anyone who compares him to Holiday is a fool.

Xiao Yao You
10-01-2023, 08:45 PM
Incredible get for Boston but giving up Williams is surprising to say the least and very much damaging. Brogdon is nothing and anyone who compares him to Holiday is a fool.

coming from the guy that thinks Puerto Rican League centers are better than an all NBAer/DPOTY! :lol

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 08:48 PM
Porz is always hurt. So is his backup Horford last few years. Lopez rarely gets hurt. Availability is half the game.

Middleton was coming off an injury last year. Both are also very inefficient. Brown averages few more points per game because he shoots few more shots per game. Both are about equal to me even if Brown is a bit better athlete.

Horford isn't always hurt, he's rested often because he's old. And Lopez is almost as old as he is. Porzingis does miss more games than Lopez but averaging 7 more points has to count for something.

Don't see how you can hold games played against Porzingis and Horford but then ignore that Middleton played in just 33 contests. And saying that Brown is inefficient makes no sense when he's shooting 49% from the field. You can give that label to Middleton but only real flaw with Brown is his dribbling. 26.6 vs. 15.1 is not "a few more points," come on. Yout match up analysis had some severe flaws. And that's not how basketball is played to begin with, they're still be a lot more to a series than a list of guy vs. guy....a list that actually favors the Celtics anyway.

Real Men Wear Green
10-01-2023, 08:55 PM

Brogdon was sixth man of the year and made allstar. He can score at a high level and would possibly be having a great career if he could stay healthy. Holiday is better because of durability and what he does on defense but you calling Brogdon nothing is off.

Proctor
10-01-2023, 09:49 PM
Brogdon was sixth man of the year and made allstar. He can score at a high level and would possibly be having a great career if he could stay healthy. Holiday is better because of durability and what he does on defense but you calling Brogdon nothing is off.
I meant 'nothing' as in his overall value to the Celtics and was saying giving him up in a trade is nothing. He's a solid player, but injury prone and may not have even wanted to play in Boston anyway. He is bench depth while Holiday is a championship level plug-in to just about anywhere.

NBAGOAT
10-01-2023, 11:23 PM
I meant 'nothing' as in his overall value to the Celtics and was saying giving him up in a trade is nothing. He's a solid player, but injury prone and may not have even wanted to play in Boston anyway. He is bench depth while Holiday is a championship level plug-in to just about anywhere.

Actually agreed Celtics did not get noticeably better adding brogdon for nothing and impact metrics have his as a net neutral. Those bench scorers usually put up good numbers but don’t help you win that many more games. Timelord was impactful but he’s injury prone as hell and didn’t really fit mazzulas 5 out scheme. Stevens will find a decent big before trade deadline

Axe
10-01-2023, 11:50 PM
Actually agreed Celtics did not get noticeably better adding brogdon for nothing and impact metrics have his as a net neutral. Those bench scorers usually put up good numbers but don’t help you win that many more games. Timelord was impactful but he’s injury prone as hell and didn’t really fit mazzulas 5 out scheme. Stevens will find a decent big before trade deadline
Maybe ibaka could help? Although he's playing in a different league rn.

bladefd
10-02-2023, 12:12 AM
Horford isn't always hurt, he's rested often because he's old. And Lopez is almost as old as he is. Porzingis does miss more games than Lopez but averaging 7 more points has to count for something.

Don't see how you can hold games played against Porzingis and Horford but then ignore that Middleton played in just 33 contests. And saying that Brown is inefficient makes no sense when he's shooting 49% from the field. You can give that label to Middleton but only real flaw with Brown is his dribbling. 26.6 vs. 15.1 is not "a few more points," come on. Yout match up analysis had some severe flaws. And that's not how basketball is played to begin with, they're still be a lot more to a series than a list of guy vs. guy....a list that actually favors the Celtics anyway.

Horford doesn't give you very much even in less minutes than in past. I think Porz shoots more, but Lopez they don't usually draw up plays for him. You better pray neither get hurt because there is not much depth on your bench.

Middleton was coming off a major injury, but is in latter half prime of his career. He doesn't have a history of injuries. Porzingis does and Horford is falling apart fast physically. It makes recovery difficult.

Both are chuckers afaik. Ofc, I would probably have Jaylen creating than Middleton, but addition of Lillard opens up the court for middleton. They also have Beasley, who always needs someone on him. Brown has to expend energy doing a lot more on offense (he often forces things), while Middleton will be mostly catch and shoot.

You are comparing their scoring the one season that Middleton was coming off a major injury/surgery. Brown was not.

Real Men Wear Green
10-02-2023, 12:37 AM
Horford doesn't give you very much even in less minutes than in past. I think Porz shoots more, but Lopez they don't usually draw up plays for him. You better pray neither get hurt because there is not much depth on your bench.

Middleton was coming off a major injury, but is in latter half prime of his career. He doesn't have a history of injuries. Porzingis does and Horford is falling apart fast physically. It makes recovery difficult.

Both are chuckers afaik. Ofc, I would probably have Jaylen creating than Middleton, but addition of Lillard opens up the court for middleton. They also have Beasley, who always needs someone on him. Brown has to expend energy doing a lot more on offense (he often forces things), while Middleton will be mostly catch and shoot.

You are comparing their scoring the one season that Middleton was coming off a major injury/surgery. Brown was not.

Middleton's career high for ppg is 21. So even that number doesn't stack up. And he's had 29 and 27 game seasons. The 27 game season may have been him just not getting to play as a rookie but the 29 game season was close to his prime years when he was a contributor. How he is not an injury risk while purred Porzingis is just makes no sense. The double standard is apparent and unjustified. And Brown is clearly ahead of Middleton right now.

Horford is not going to play as much as he used to due to age but how is he falling apart 1? What was his last major injury to justify that statement?

GOATbe
10-02-2023, 12:52 AM
:oldlol:Highway robbery by Portland. Looks like Celdicks will need to wait a few more decades to win another title.

GimmeThat
10-02-2023, 01:01 AM
this move counters the Heat really well for the Celtics. and Blazers are looking a lot like the Wolves.

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 04:39 AM

Beasley is very streaky. Doesn't always need someone on him

Dbrog
10-02-2023, 12:59 PM
Feels weird that the Blazers now look like they have the best team they have had since Lillard/Aldridge...kinda the one that Lillard was always asking for. Certain poetic justice to it all. Bright future for them for sure

dankok8
10-02-2023, 01:05 PM
Jrue is better than Brogdon but losing Williams hurts for Boston. This trade is a lateral move at best and a damaging move at worst.

FultzNationRISE
10-02-2023, 01:12 PM
They oughtta try and bring back Daniel Theis honestly, a couple years ago when Williams missed a chunk of time in the playoffs Theis filled the spot admirably and they didnt miss a beat.

FultzNationRISE
10-02-2023, 01:16 PM
Jrue is better than Brogdon but losing Williams hurts for Boston. This trade is a lateral move at best and a damaging move at worst.

The Celtics were lacking some dawg outside of Smart to begin with, then they moved Smart for a long term frontcourt upgrade, which is fair but Zingis also isnt a dawg. They needed a dawg. The move might seem lateral on paper but it’s an upgrade in intangibles. They really oughtta get Theis back on their bench, hes another dawg.

I also think they risk doing this all for naught if they leave Mazzulla in charge and he doesnt show some progress from last year.

tontoz
10-02-2023, 01:19 PM
This deal appears so lopsided in Portland's favor that i feel like ...... what am i missing? Is there some other part of the trade we aren't aware of? :wtf:

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 01:40 PM
Feels weird that the Blazers now look like they have the best team they have had since Lillard/Aldridge...kinda the one that Lillard was always asking for. Certain poetic justice to it all. Bright future for them for sure

unless Simons is ready to carry them they should be one of the worst teams in the league

bladefd
10-02-2023, 01:44 PM
Middleton's career high for ppg is 21. So even that number doesn't stack up. And he's had 29 and 27 game seasons. The 27 game season may have been him just not getting to play as a rookie but the 29 game season was close to his prime years when he was a contributor. How he is not an injury risk while purred Porzingis is just makes no sense. The double standard is apparent and unjustified. And Brown is clearly ahead of Middleton right now.

Horford is not going to play as much as he used to due to age but how is he falling apart 1? What was his last major injury to justify that statement?

Their career numbers are within 1ppg. Brown is probably a better scorer at this point of his career because he is being asked to be one of their top 2 scorers. Hence he shoots more per game and the ball in his hands for significantly longer periods. Even if you give the advantage to brown, it's very close.

Porzingis has a long history of injuries going back to his Knicks days from his very first season in the NBA. He is also being asked to do much more than Middleton or lopez. His backup happens to be old man horford and the undersized wenyen Gabriel. The bucks have bobby portis and Robin lopez as the backups for brook lopez.

Horford is not the same physically. Have you watched him play the last couple years? He has significantly slowed down and has trouble running up and down the court. You are a Celtics fan. How have you not noticed???

bladefd
10-02-2023, 01:45 PM
Beasley is very streaky. Doesn't always need someone on him

True, but teams still guard him closely. Saw it with the Lakers last year. Someone was usually on him.

Dbrog
10-02-2023, 01:58 PM
unless Simons is ready to carry them they should be one of the worst teams in the league

Ehhh they might have a bad season but they actually have talent now w/ the rooks rather than trotting out scrubs like Reddish or stiff Nurkic. I'm a bit higher on Scoot though so I guess we will have to see how it plays out. They look like the makings of Thunder 2.0 with their influx of picks in the coming years.

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 02:05 PM
Ehhh they might have a bad season but they actually have talent now w/ the rooks rather than trotting out scrubs like Reddish or stiff Nurkic. I'm a bit higher on Scoot though so I guess we will have to see how it plays out. They look like the makings of Thunder 2.0 with their influx of picks in the coming years.

there's a reason the Suns wanted Nurk instead of Ayton. Jazz have more picks than both and already have a competitive team

Dbrog
10-02-2023, 02:23 PM
there's a reason the Suns wanted Nurk instead of Ayton. Jazz have more picks than both and already have a competitive team

Well ya, they got an even worse fleece than this by trading Rudy who wasn't even that good anyway. I'm really curious to see if Kessler improves for em this year. I see a lot of potential with him

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 02:32 PM
Well ya, they got an even worse fleece than this by trading Rudy who wasn't even that good anyway. I'm really curious to see if Kessler improves for em this year. I see a lot of potential with him

yeah the multiple time ALL NBAer/DPOTY that carried the franchise for close to a decade wasn't that good! :facepalm

Kessler will certainly improve. Remains to be seen if he'll be able to guard in space.

Real Men Wear Green
10-02-2023, 02:35 PM
Their career numbers are within 1ppg. Brown is probably a better scorer at this point of his career because he is being asked to be one of their top 2 scorers. Hence he shoots more per game and the ball in his hands for significantly longer periods. Even if you give the advantage to brown, it's very close.

Porzingis has a long history of injuries going back to his Knicks days from his very first season in the NBA. He is also being asked to do much more than Middleton or lopez. His backup happens to be old man horford and the undersized wenyen Gabriel. The bucks have bobby portis and Robin lopez as the backups for brook lopez.

Horford is not the same physically. Have you watched him play the last couple years? He has significantly slowed down and has trouble running up and down the court. You are a Celtics fan. How have you not noticed???

You apply every possible excuse to Middleton and he still comes up short vs JB. Then you turn around and say Middleton will hold up better than Porzingis because he's asked to do less. How? Both are the third best scorers in their team. Middleton will likely be tasked with defending the best scoring wing in the opposing team. Being basketball players they are both going to be running back and forth defending and running whatever role in the play on offense. Neither guy is exempt from movement. How does Middleton go out and have a better season than Brown while doing less than Porzingis? It just doesn't make sense.

Asking me about Horford is a stupid question. Yes I have seen him. His per minute production has held steady the last two years as a Celtic. He is obviously not in his prime but you said he was falling apart without any knowledge of the situation. It's called "load management. " the whole league is doing it. I asked you: If he is really falling apart, what was his last major injury?

BurningHammer
10-02-2023, 02:38 PM
Trading away Time Lord is a huge mistake.

bladefd
10-02-2023, 03:20 PM
You apply every possible excuse to Middleton and he still comes up short vs JB. Then you turn around and say Middleton will hold up better than Porzingis because he's asked to do less. How? Both are the third best scorers in their team. Middleton will likely be tasked with defending the best scoring wing in the opposing team. Being basketball players they are both going to be running back and forth defending and running whatever role in the play on offense. Neither guy is exempt from movement. How does Middleton go out and have a better season than Brown while doing less than Porzingis? It just doesn't make sense.

Asking me about Horford is a stupid question. Yes I have seen him. His per minute production has held steady the last two years as a Celtic. He is obviously not in his prime but you said he was falling apart without any knowledge of the situation. It's called "load management. " the whole league is doing it. I asked you: If he is really falling apart, what was his last major injury?

Does Middleton have a long history of injuries like porzingis? No.

Middleton is asked to be their 3rd scorer (mostly catch and shoot) , while brown is the focal point for the Celtics. On both ends of the floor. That is why brown shoots more and handles the ball for long time. And why he averages more ppg.

And no, I didn't say Middleton would have a better season than brown. I said they will be about equal. Giannis and Lillard will be the focal points for the bucks, tatum & brown for the Celtics. It allows Middleton to be the 3rd cog in the wheel with opponents not focusing on him as much. Opponents will be going at brown & game-planning for him more than Middleton on bucks.

I also did not say Middleton would do less than porz. I said porz's history throughout his entire career says he won't stay healthy for long.

Yes, I do think horford is falling apart physically. They have to minutes manage him because he just isn't as impactful as he once was when he is out there. He has been more prone to making mistakes on the defensive end or getting pushed around. I do not think he can give you solid 35mpg if you were to take him off his minutes restriction. He is good backup in stretches, but like I said he is not the same player he used to be. If porz or horford get injured, you guys are in huge trouble. You don't want either guy playing big minutes due to the high injury risk. Lopez doesn't have high injury risk history even if he is getting old. And bucks have decent depth behind lopez.

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 03:49 PM

Middleton is asked to be their 3rd scorer (mostly catch and shoot) , while brown is the focal point for the Celtics. On both ends of the floor. That is why brown shoots more and handles the ball for long time. And why he averages more ppg.

And no, I didn't say Middleton would have a better season than brown. I said they will be about equal. Giannis and Lillard will be the focal points for the bucks, tatum & brown for the Celtics. It allows Middleton to be the 3rd cog in the wheel with opponents not focusing on him as much. Opponents will be going at brown & game-planning for him more than Middleton on bucks.

I also did not say Middleton would do less than porz. I said porz's history throughout his entire career says he won't stay healthy for long.

Yes, I do think horford is falling apart physically. They have to minutes manage him because he just isn't as impactful as he once was when he is out there. He has been more prone to making mistakes on the defensive end or getting pushed around. I do not think he can give you solid 35mpg if you were to take him off his minutes restriction. He is good backup in stretches, but like I said he is not the same player he used to be. If porz or horford get injured, you guys are in huge trouble. You don't want either guy playing big minutes due to the high injury risk. Lopez doesn't have high injury risk history even if he is getting old. And bucks have decent depth behind lopez.

Lopez certainly has more and more risk of injury as he gets older. Everyone's body breaks down eventually

Dbrog
10-02-2023, 04:07 PM
yeah the multiple time ALL NBAer/DPOTY that carried the franchise for close to a decade wasn't that good! :facepalm

Kessler will certainly improve. Remains to be seen if he'll be able to guard in space.

Carried them to what? :lol

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 04:07 PM
Carried them to what? :lol

out of the lottery

Dbrog
10-02-2023, 04:08 PM
out of the lottery

Gross

FultzNationRISE
10-02-2023, 04:10 PM
Trading away Time Lord is a huge mistake.

^ This is called “over dramatizing.”

Real Men Wear Green
10-02-2023, 04:12 PM

Middleton has 6 seasons playing under 70 games and last year played 33. That isn't a history of injury? Por z ing I s had had his struggle but last year he played in 65 games. Both guys have cause for concern.

Brown last year averaged 5 more points than Middleton ever had regardless of his role. And this is with Brown being a guy that improves every year. You are going that Middleton comes back after a major injury to be the same player that he was. You are definitely doing a lot of wishful thinking here.

Your opinion on horford continues to ignore my question: what is his major injury? You say he's had this major defensive decline but just last postseason he defended Embiid well enough for the Celtics to win. He hits jumpers and gets a few rebounds. What more is expected from a guy that is a part time starting big that was and will continue to be load managed all season?

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 04:14 PM
Middleton has 6 seasons playing under 70 games and last year played 33. That isn't a history of injury? Por z ing I s had had his struggle but last year he played in 65 games. Both guys have cause for concern.

Brown last year averaged 5 more points than Middleton ever had regardless of his role. And this is with Brown being a guy that improves every year. You are going that Middleton comes back after a major injury to be the same player that he was. You are definitely doing a lot of wishful thinking here.

Your opinion on horford continues to ignore my question: what is his major injury? You say he's had this major defensive decline but just last postseason he defended Embiid well enough for the Celtics to win. He hits jumpers and gets a few rebounds. What more is expected from a guy that is a part time starting big that was and will continue to be load managed all season?

under 70 games doesn't mean you're injured anymore. 33 certainly does and should be of concern for sure. Porzingas hadn't played that many games since his 2nd year

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 04:14 PM
why is he nicknamed Timelord btw?

Axe
10-02-2023, 04:18 PM
I wonder how holiday would make a cumbersome stiff work. :lebronamazed:

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 04:19 PM
I wonder how holiday would make a cumbersome stiff work. :lebronamazed:

guess you'll find out with Horford and Porzingas

Jud
10-02-2023, 04:22 PM
I'm excited for Jrue but I don't like that we gave up Timelord

Jud
10-02-2023, 04:25 PM
why is he nicknamed Timelord btw?

He got the nickname once he was drafted by missing his flight to Boston, then missing his first press interview, then sleeping through training camp. It was so bad that the FO made him move next door to the practice facility and got him an alarm. All while this happened coach Brad Stevens said that there was no issues with Robert Williams being late to practice or flights so people started calling him Timelord because he can manipulate and control the flow of time

BurningHammer
10-02-2023, 04:30 PM
^ This is called “over dramatizing.”

That is just my opinion, sure. We will see how it goes for Celtics soon enough.

bladefd
10-02-2023, 06:39 PM
Lopez certainly has more and more risk of injury as he gets older. Everyone's body breaks down eventually

Yeah but Porz has been injury-prone since his rookie season. Besides that, Brook has legit backups behind him in Portis and his brother Robin Lopez.

Porz's backups are Horford and some dude named Kornet.

Real Men Wear Green
10-02-2023, 06:40 PM
under 70 games doesn't mean you're injured anymore. 33 certainly does and should be of concern for sure. Porzingas hadn't played that many games since his 2nd year

It does if we are talking about a young player, which Middleton was for a lot of those games. Just not a major injury.

Anyhow the Bucks didn't start load managing him until he got the big injury (I think it was an ACL tear two years ago). And that kind of injury does sometimes derail careers. Tony Allen was still a good player but before he tore his ACL he was a DWade level athlete, could score well, wasn't Wade because he didn't have that kind of handle but he had allstar potential. Jabari Parker and Leon Powe would have had much better careers if they got to be the explosive athletes they were pre-injury. As sports science improves we could and should see better results but it's still very much unknown how close Middleton can get to being the player he was.

bladefd
10-02-2023, 06:58 PM

Porz played over 60 games 3 times out of 7 years (42%). Middleton 8 times out of 11 times (72%). And Porz is younger by 7yrs.

5 more ppg while shooting over 20 shots a game. Middleton has never averaged more than 15.8 shots.

Do you watch the Celtics?? I feel like I have watched Horford more than you have, and I'm not even a Celtics fan. You would have seen Horford's overall athletic ability decline quite a bit over last few years. My point was if Porz goes down, don't expect Horford to suddenly take the starting role and start playing 35mpg. He can't be that guy anymore. At least you admitted he is a part-time big so you agree with me they have depth issues. Bucks don't.

Keep telling yourself you have the better starting 5 and better depth than Bucks. Fact is you don't.

beasted
10-02-2023, 07:16 PM
Yeah, the Cs have a couple holes in the front court after trading RW3 and Grant Williams.

Real Men Wear Green
10-02-2023, 07:25 PM
Porz played over 60 games 3 times out of 7 years (42%). Middleton 8 times out of 11 times (72%). And Porz is younger by 7yrs.

5 more ppg while shooting over 20 shots a game. Middleton has never averaged more than 15.8 shots.

Do you watch the Celtics?? I feel like I have watched Horford more than you have, and I'm not even a Celtics fan. You would have seen Horford's overall athletic ability decline quite a bit over last few years. My point was if Porz goes down, don't expect Horford to suddenly take the starting role and start playing 35mpg. He can't be that guy anymore. At least you admitted he is a part-time big so you agree with me they have depth issues. Bucks don't.

Keep telling yourself you have the better starting 5 and better depth than Bucks. Fact is you don't.

Again with the stupid questions. You don't reply to points like Horford still defending Embiid well and instead say dumb crap like you watch the Celtics more than me. Being stupid is not an argument. If you could point out what major injury Horford had suffered, as you have been repeatedly asked to, that would be an argument. If _______ his injured then ______ won't be able to win. That's true of every team in the league. The Celtics will have possibly the best starting five in the league both offensively as well as defensively.

And no. Middleton is not as good as Jaylen Brown.

bladefd
10-02-2023, 08:11 PM
Again with the stupid questions. You don't reply to points like Horford still defending Embiid well and instead say dumb crap like you watch the Celtics more than me. Being stupid is not an argument. If you could point out what major injury Horford had suffered, as you have been repeatedly asked to, that would be an argument. If _______ his injured then ______ won't be able to win. That's true of every team in the league. The Celtics will have possibly the best starting five in the league both offensively as well as defensively.

And no. Middleton is not as good as Jaylen Brown.

You admitted Horford is a part-time big so you agree with me they have depth issues. We agree there. If Porz gets hurt (which he usually does), Horford is not giving you good 35mpg starting to each game. His minutes have been declining every year. He is not a legit insurance policy for Porzingis. You don't have depth in front-court no matter how you slice it. I don't care if he defended Embiid well for 20 minutes (Williams was playing big minutes too and doing a lot of the defense on Embiid so not like it was Horford taking on Embiid one-on-one most of the game). Can he bang with Embiid, Jokic, Adebayo, Sabonis, Turner, Ayton, Gobert,, etc night in & night out for 35mpg as starter? No, he can't - not for 35+ mpg every game. End of story.

I'd rather have Middleton as 3rd option than Brown as 2nd option if I'm a playoffs team even if I rank Brown over Middleton on top 100 players list. Guy's role will be to stand at 3pt line, wait for giannis/lillard to pass him the rock (both will draw double teams btw so Middleton will get plenty of space), then catch & shoot. He doesn't have to playmake, rebound, create for others, anything. Brown's role will require a lot more, and they need a lot from him due to the lack of depth around him (while drawing double teams).

Xiao Yao You
10-02-2023, 08:29 PM
You admitted Horford is a part-time big so you agree with me they have depth issues. We agree there. If Porz gets hurt (which he usually does), Horford is not giving you good 35mpg starting to each game. His minutes have been declining every year. He is not a legit insurance policy for Porzingis. You don't have depth in front-court no matter how you slice it. I don't care if he defended Embiid well for 20 minutes (Williams was playing big minutes too and doing a lot of the defense on Embiid so not like it was Horford taking on Embiid one-on-one most of the game). Can he bang with Embiid, Jokic, Adebayo, Sabonis, Turner, Ayton, Gobert,, etc night in & night out for 35mpg as starter? No, he can't - not for 35+ mpg every game. End of story.

I'd rather have Middleton as 3rd option than Brown as 2nd option if I'm a playoffs team even if I rank Brown over Middleton on top 100 players list. Guy's role will be to stand at 3pt line, wait for giannis/lillard to pass him the rock (both will draw double teams btw so Middleton will get plenty of space), then catch & shoot. He doesn't have to playmake, rebound, create for others, anything. Brown's role will require a lot more, and they need a lot from him due to the lack of depth around him (while drawing double teams).

you're not going to have everything you want when you're deep in the tax

Real Men Wear Green
10-02-2023, 09:03 PM

If Horford's defense didn't matter the Celtics wouldn't have beat Philly. In the postseason he averaged 30 minutes, not 20, so wherever you got that number from you can put it back. Horford's defensive role has been defending post threats. Always had been always will be. Post defense is something a wily old vet can do. He makes the shot Embiid tough and doesn't make mistakes in the scheme.

No one has infinite great players coming off the bench, but everyone has fans that overrate their players which is what you do when you act like Middleton's injury history doesn't exist and he's just as good as a player that defends as well or better than he does while averaging 10 more points. The last two seasons the Celtics have made the Conference finals and they have made the Conference finals 4 times with Brown as one of their top 2 scorers. It's worked well, and he's still improving.

bladefd
10-02-2023, 11:27 PM
If Horford's defense didn't matter the Celtics wouldn't have beat Philly. In the postseason he averaged 30 minutes, not 20, so wherever you got that number from you can put it back. Horford's defensive role has been defending post threats. Always had been always will be. Post defense is something a wily old vet can do. He makes the shot Embiid tough and doesn't make mistakes in the scheme.

No one has infinite great players coming off the bench, but everyone has fans that overrate their players which is what you do when you act like Middleton's injury history doesn't exist and he's just as good as a player that defends as well or better than he does while averaging 10 more points. The last two seasons the Celtics have made the Conference finals and they have made the Conference finals 4 times with Brown as one of their top 2 scorers. It's worked well, and he's still improving.

Who said it didn't matter? Williams wasn't playing 48mins against Philly. Horford can still give you solid 20mpg off the bench (might have to play gassed if he had to play more). However, he is not a legit full-time replacement for Porz if & when Porz gets injured.

Middleton had 1 injury in his career. Porzingis is injured almost every year. Brown is going to be dealing with double teams while being asked to do a lot. Middleton is not. Do you not get that? I feel like you are trying to convince yourself that it's all great and dandy in Celtics land. Against the bucks, it's going to be hell.

iamgine
10-03-2023, 12:34 AM
Who said it didn't matter? Williams wasn't playing 48mins against Philly. Horford can still give you solid 20mpg off the bench (might have to play gassed if he had to play more). However, he is not a legit full-time replacement for Porz if & when Porz gets injured.

Middleton had 1 injury in his career. Porzingis is injured almost every year. Brown is going to be dealing with double teams while being asked to do a lot. Middleton is not. Do you not get that? I feel like you are trying to convince yourself that it's all great and dandy in Celtics land. Against the bucks, it's going to be hell.

The arrival of Jrue alleviate that. He's much more offensive than Smart.

Every team will get hell against healthy Bucks anyways.

Real Men Wear Green
10-03-2023, 06:20 AM

You continue to make stuff up. Seeing as you watch the Celtics more than me point out all these teams that doubleteam Jaylen Brown. It never happened in the past and now the Celtics will have two more major offensive threats on the floor you thin their second option is getting double? I hope teams do try it.

Bringing up Williams minutes is funny. The 20 minutes per game you put on Horford? That's actually what Williams averaged last playoff. Williams can have a dynamic impact but if you are bringing him up when talking about worries over limited minutes and missing games proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

If Middleton had only had one injury why did he miss 52 games in 16-17?

90sgoat
10-03-2023, 12:36 PM
Celtics have upgraded significantly now with KP and Jrue.

Much more versatile on both ends.

Is it possible that Celtics are gearing up to trade Brown?

Wally450
10-03-2023, 01:05 PM

Why would they trade Brown? They just gave him the biggest contract.

They're pushing the chips all in with these moves. Brad knew Brogdon and Rob couldn't sustain and entire season and be healthy for the postseason (even with the load managing we gave them), so he shipped them out for a defensive minded point guard with more offense than Smart provided.

jayfan
10-03-2023, 01:34 PM

Billups trying to revive a version of Sheed + Ben.

bladefd
10-03-2023, 02:01 PM
You continue to make stuff up. Seeing as you watch the Celtics more than me point out all these teams that doubleteam Jaylen Brown. It never happened in the past and now the Celtics will have two more major offensive threats on the floor you thin their second option is getting double? I hope teams do try it.

Bringing up Williams minutes is funny. The 20 minutes per game you put on Horford? That's actually what Williams averaged last playoff. Williams can have a dynamic impact but if you are bringing him up when talking about worries over limited minutes and missing games proves you have no idea what you're talking about.

If Middleton had only had one injury why did he miss 52 games in 16-17?

Jaylen brown does have jrue in the backcourt now, true. It's also true that Jaylen won't have mostly a catch-and-shoot role, which Middleton will have. I think Middleton will give enough to keep himself as a serious threat that needs to be closely covered. Along with Tatum, Brown is going to be the central crux of the opponents' gameplans. For bucks, it's going to be Giannis and Lillard.

Consistent history says Porzingis is an injury waiting to happen then you will see the issue of lack of depth hit you in the rear. Like I said, Middleton played over 60 games 72% of his career. Porz 42% of his career while being 7 years younger. Vast difference.

jayfan
10-03-2023, 02:17 PM

Brogdon is more than nothing and Holiday is less than incredible.

Real Men Wear Green
10-03-2023, 02:30 PM
Jaylen brown does have jrue in the backcourt now, true. It's also true that Jaylen won't have mostly a catch-and-shoot role, which Middleton will have. I think Middleton will give enough to keep himself as a serious threat that needs to be closely covered. Along with Tatum, Brown is going to be the central crux of the opponents' gameplans. For bucks, it's going to be Giannis and Lillard.

Consistent history says Porzingis is an injury waiting to happen then you will see the issue of lack of depth hit you in the rear. Like I said, Middleton played over 60 games 72% of his career. Porz 42% of his career while being 7 years younger. Vast difference.

So we still don't know why Middleton played 29 games in 16/17 and there's no example of Brown getting doubled. For the record I hope they do double Brown, there's no way a team controls Tatum while doubling Brown and Porzingis, Holiday, Hauser,Pritchard and others can all hit shots.

90sgoat
10-03-2023, 05:04 PM
Wow, Boston have 5 white guys now.

Are you seeing this Real Men Wear Green?

Real Men Wear Green
10-03-2023, 05:10 PM
Wow, Boston have 5 white guys now.

Are you seeing this Real Men Wear Green?

I don't care. You would the racist, not me.

90sgoat
10-05-2023, 05:56 PM
I don't care. You would the racist, not me.

I'm just saying, we're gonna hang out in the Celts game threads this season, my dude.

Real Men Wear Green
10-05-2023, 06:23 PM
I'm just saying, we're gonna hang out in the Celts game threads this season, my dude.

"We?" Whatever. You're an idiot and I'm sure you'll l provide plenty of reasons for banning.

NBAGOAT
10-05-2023, 09:26 PM

Little off topic with this response but agreed bostons depth is a weakness now. However porzingis was healthy last season and stevens will find a a better backup big than kornet before the deadline. Could easily trade for someone like Dorian finney smith too to replace grant Williams, they have a plethora of 2nd rd picks. Mil has a better top 4 because of their top 2 though I won’t go as far to say Middleton>Brown but mil doesn’t have 5th and 6th guys nearly as good as white and horford. Portis is a great backup but not that useful in playoffs. Then it’s guys like Connaughton and crowder, can’t even be sure they’ll play in the playoffs. Beasley could be good but most likely wont be playable in the playoffs either. Also in bostons favor jrue and porzingis were all star lvl last year could argue both will be better than Middleton this season.

FultzNationRISE
10-05-2023, 10:00 PM

I doubt it, altho if I was them I would.

In fact Id call the Blazers and offer him for Brogdon and Rob Williams :yaohappy:

Wardell Curry
06-13-2024, 01:37 PM
Man there are just some really excellent takes in this thread.

Carbine
06-13-2024, 04:11 PM

Wowza

Real Men Wear Green
06-13-2024, 04:25 PM
Wowza
Rob Williams got injured. What's your excuse for this shit? (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?517643-Luka-has-an-argument-in-my-mind-as-best-playoff-offensive-player-ever)

Carbine
06-14-2024, 10:03 PM