PDA

View Full Version : Let's discuss some rarely mentioned Hall of Famers

L.Kizzle
10-03-2023, 12:00 PM
I've come up with 3-man lineups of G-F-C starting in the 1950s of forgotten Hall of Famers. Some of the later guys are discussed but the guys from the 50s thru the 80s, not so much. And the later guys I feel will be forgotten. Like Tony Parker and Chris Bosh.

1950s
C Clyde Lovellette
F Maurice Stokes
G Bob Davies

1960s
C Zelmo Beaty
F Bailey Howell
G Richie Guerren

1970s
C Bob Lanier
F Chet Walker
G Jo Jo White

1980s
C Jack Sikma
F Alex English
G Sidney Moncrief

1990s
C Alonzo Mourning
F Chris Mullin
G Tim Hardaway

2000s
C Yao Ming
F Chris Bosh
G Tony Parker

warriorfan
10-03-2023, 12:07 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/Fsvjmwy3/IMG-1417.jpg

Bosh has always been low key underrated. He was a beast.

dankok8
10-03-2023, 12:31 PM
Ye Bosh is underrated. I've been looking at some of his stats in Miami.

2011-2014 Regular Seasons - Bosh Stats

Lebron ON: 19.4 pts/75 on 58.3 %TS
Lebron OFF: 23.0 pts/75 on 55.0 %TS

Wade ON: 18.8 pts/75 on 56.3 %TS
Wade OFF: 23.2 pts/75 on 60.1 %TS

2011-2014 Playoffs - Bosh Stats

Lebron ON: 17.3 pts/75 on 55.2 %TS
Lebron OFF: 21.8 pts/75 on 59.6 %TS

Wade ON: 17.6 pts/75 on 55.1 %TS
Wade OFF: 19.3 pts/75 on 60.0 %TS

You can see that when either Lebron or Wade stepped off the court Bosh's scoring rate went up a lot. And surprisingly his efficiency went up in the playoffs when those guys sat which you don't expect.

He sacrificed a ton on offense and became a 3rd option but he never complained and became arguably their main defensive piece.

Kblaze8855
10-03-2023, 12:51 PM
I see my numbers weren’t that far off on Bosh but I obviously had no way of knowing he’d be a third option by then:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2310032219300129.jpeg

ShawkFactory
10-03-2023, 01:10 PM
I see my numbers weren’t that far off on Bosh but I obviously had no way of knowing he’d be a third option by then:

https://www.hostpic.org/images/2310032219300129.jpeg

Damn.

L.Kizzle
10-03-2023, 01:28 PM
Another thing I liked about Bosh, he is hilarious. How he isn't on TNT or ESPN is absurd.

L.Kizzle
10-03-2023, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure how good someone like Zelmo Beaty is. He played center in an NBA that included Russell, Wilt, Reed and Bellamy.
I wonder who is a similar player.

dankok8
10-03-2023, 01:56 PM
Bob Lanier was really really good. Gets totally overlooked in all-time great C discussions.

Sikma was also decent. He got destroyed by both Kareem and Moses at times but he did everything pretty well.

Kblaze8855
10-03-2023, 02:04 PM
Reed and Lanier were both better shooters with better touch than people assume to look at them these days.

Im Still Ballin
10-03-2023, 02:07 PM
Bosh had one of the sickest face-up games ever. He led the league in post-up PPP one year; 2009-2010 I believe. 1.09 PPP. He's got to be right up there for the best ever regarding that specific skill. Garnett was pretty good but didn't have the same quick first step to blow by guys. I suppose Hakeem, D-Rob, Amar'e, and Dirk are the top contenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqqFX4ax-0&ab_channel=ZGL

sdot_thadon
10-03-2023, 02:11 PM
Damn it's been years since I've even read a few of those names. I'm gonna start with someone recent and work backwards. Yao. I got to see him up close here, he was good with potential to be great if he could have been a bit more durable. He was able to hold his own with Prime Shaq at times. But his size was just too much for his bone structure I guess. Soft touch on his jumper to be so big and plodding, kinda Ilguaskas- like in that department but with a much better back to the basket game. He could do no wrong here within the organization and tmac took the brunt of his blame for the teams fortunes and Francis becore him got the boot for not playing as well with Yao as he should have. I was able to see him and Tmac live quite a bit during that era and watching Yao run up the floor made MY feet hurt lol. The most disappointing thing was we were good enough to make the finals during that run but never healthy enough.

Kblaze8855
10-03-2023, 02:14 PM
I’m reading old ass topics and at one point I said I was out on both Bosh and Jermaine O’Neal but I liked Jermaine more. Which is weird because I didn’t really **** with Jermaine at all by the time Bosh was a somebody. I’m trying to remember exactly when I stopped being impressed because I think I briefly was early.

I found an old topic about him where I had a list of 22 people I’d rather have and a bunch of people I’d call a tossup that stretched to 28. I think the 07 playoffs was when I was done with him apparently forever though I don’t remember specifics about it right now. I see he had shit numbers that year but whatever I saw must have turned my stomach.

dankok8
10-03-2023, 02:15 PM
Bosh had one of the sickest face-up games ever. He led the league in post-up PPP one year; 2009-2010 I believe. 1.09 PPP. He's got to be right up there for the best ever regarding that specific skill. Garnett was pretty good but didn't have the same quick first step to blow by guys. I suppose Hakeem, D-Rob, Amar'e, and Dirk are the top contenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrqqFX4ax-0&ab_channel=ZGL

The legendary Chuck Swirsky with his commentaries too. :lol

My favorite was "Get that salami and cheese mama cuz this ball game is over!"

tpols
10-03-2023, 02:17 PM
Ye Bosh is underrated. I've been looking at some of his stats in Miami.

2011-2014 Regular Seasons - Bosh Stats

Lebron ON: 19.4 pts/75 on 58.3 %TS
Lebron OFF: 23.0 pts/75 on 55.0 %TS

Wade ON: 18.8 pts/75 on 56.3 %TS
Wade OFF: 23.2 pts/75 on 60.1 %TS

2011-2014 Playoffs - Bosh Stats

Lebron ON: 17.3 pts/75 on 55.2 %TS
Lebron OFF: 21.8 pts/75 on 59.6 %TS

Wade ON: 17.6 pts/75 on 55.1 %TS
Wade OFF: 19.3 pts/75 on 60.0 %TS

You can see that when either Lebron or Wade stepped off the court Bosh's scoring rate went up a lot. And surprisingly his efficiency went up in the playoffs when those guys sat which you don't expect.

He sacrificed a ton on offense and became a 3rd option but he never complained and became arguably their main defensive piece.

Yea that's not surprising since Bosh was used like a role player to space the floor for Lebron and Wade instead of utilizing his elite face up midrange game.

Im Still Ballin
10-03-2023, 02:19 PM
From what I recall Bosh didn't handle physicality all that well. Not in Toronto or Miami. Dwight averaged like 18 rebounds per game in the 2008 1st round TOR-ORL matchup. Roy Hibbert put up like 23/12 in the 2013 ECF which is saying something.

That 2013 Miami team was one of only four NBA champions to have been outrebounded on average. There was one of the '70s Knicks teams and both '90s Houston teams I believe. However, Miami was by far the worst rebounding team of those four; they were literally the worst rebounding team in the league. Dead last.

Bosh just wasn't a center. More like a PF that had strong SF tendencies.

ShawkFactory
10-03-2023, 02:19 PM
I’m reading old ass topics and at one point I said I was out on both Bosh and Jermaine O’Neal but I liked Jermaine more. Which is weird because I didn’t really **** with Jermaine at all by the time Bosh was a somebody. I’m trying to remember exactly when I stopped being impressed because I think I briefly was early.

I found an old topic about him where I had a list of 22 people I’d rather have and a bunch of people I’d call a tossup that stretched to 28. I think the 07 playoffs was when I was done with him apparently forever though I don’t remember specifics about it right now. I see he had shit numbers that year but whatever I saw must have turned my stomach.

I had a similar feeling about Bosh in that he was what he was and wasn’t ever really going to take the leap. The 08 Olympics changed my mind on him completely. He did a lot of dirty work and didn’t really care about scoring. He was very well fit for a 2nd or 3rd man role. Defense, rebounds, hit open jumpers, clean up inside when needed. He did that well.

dankok8
10-03-2023, 02:26 PM
Yea that's not surprising since Bosh was used like a role player to space the floor for Lebron and Wade instead of utilizing his elite face up midrange game.

Ya another thing is that Lebron and Wade's playing minutes were staggered so the Heat rarely went without both on the floor.

Bosh looks like a 22 ppg scorer as soon as one of them goes to the bench.

ShawkFactory
10-03-2023, 03:21 PM

His game was used as much as it should have been given the situation.

Jasper
10-03-2023, 07:07 PM
Bob Lanier was really really good. Gets totally overlooked in all-time great C discussions.

Sikma was also decent. He got destroyed by both Kareem and Moses at times but he did everything pretty well.

bob was famous for his 22 size foot.

But Bob really wanted to bring a chip to Milwaukee, and just could not get it done. Era of Celtics and Lakers.
He had Sidney Moncrief a do it all guard , who in my Opinion most definitely is a HOF'er.

dankok8
10-04-2023, 09:22 AM
bob was famous for his 22 size foot.

But Bob really wanted to bring a chip to Milwaukee, and just could not get it done. Era of Celtics and Lakers.
He had Sidney Moncrief a do it all guard , who in my Opinion most definitely is a HOF'er.

Yea the 80's were a tough era to pop up and try to win a ring. The Sixers also stopped the Bucks on a few occasions.

But anyways Bob was out of his prime when he came to Milwaukee. I didn't watch many games of him but certainly read about his exploits.

L.Kizzle
10-04-2023, 11:33 AM
Jo Jo White may be one of the least talked about guards from the 70s. He was probably better than Pistol Pete or Earl Monroe.

Jasper
10-04-2023, 11:40 AM
Jo Jo White may be one of the least talked about guards from the 70s. He was probably better than Pistol Pete or Earl Monroe.

JO JO was a consistent guard , but nothing like Pistol Pete or Pearl. (they were head shoulders above him)

John8204
10-04-2023, 11:52 AM

https://www.sporcle.com/games/ec2tc3/nba-yearly-top-10-scorers-1970s

Look at where Pete was on those lists and where JoJo was.

Anyways...Maurice Stokes....likely wouldn't be a HOFer under today's classifications. Tjat was a guy who wasn't on Chamberlain and Russell's level but he could have been. It was a huge loss for the NBA.

Alex English....best player to not make the top 75...timing really hurt him.

L.Kizzle
10-04-2023, 12:54 PM
JO JO was a consistent guard , but nothing like Pistol Pete or Pearl. (they were head shoulders above him)
Jo Jo White had 7 All-Star appearances, more than both Pete and Earl.
Interesting him and Dave Bing have the most All-Star appearances of guards in the 1970s. Over the bigger names like Pete, Monroe and Tiny Archibald. Just an observation.

Axe
10-05-2023, 07:35 AM
Arvydas sabonis should have been a hof. Hell, i even heard that he actually made the all-star team bt.

Xiao Yao You
10-05-2023, 11:24 AM
Arvydas sabonis should have been a hof. Hell, i even heard that he actually made the all-star team bt.

but, but cumbersome big man :facepalm

L.Kizzle
10-05-2023, 11:25 AM
He's in the Hall, for his career outside the NBA.

ShawkFactory
10-05-2023, 01:02 PM
https://www.sporcle.com/games/ec2tc3/nba-yearly-top-10-scorers-1970s

Look at where Pete was on those lists and where JoJo was.

Anyways...Maurice Stokes....likely wouldn't be a HOFer under today's classifications. Tjat was a guy who wasn't on Chamberlain and Russell's level but he could have been. It was a huge loss for the NBA.

Alex English....best player to not make the top 75...timing really hurt him.

I know it's tough to compare eras and all that but was he really a better player than TMac?

L.Kizzle
10-05-2023, 01:40 PM
I know it's tough to compare eras and all that but was he really a better player than TMac?
Nope, but neither was Dame Lillard or Carmelo but they made it.

WhiteKyrie
10-05-2023, 01:41 PM
From what I recall Bosh didn't handle physicality all that well. Not in Toronto or Miami. Dwight averaged like 18 rebounds per game in the 2008 1st round TOR-ORL matchup. Roy Hibbert put up like 23/12 in the 2013 ECF which is saying something.

That 2013 Miami team was one of only four NBA champions to have been outrebounded on average. There was one of the '70s Knicks teams and both '90s Houston teams I believe. However, Miami was by far the worst rebounding team of those four; they were literally the worst rebounding team in the league. Dead last.

Bosh just wasn't a center. More like a PF that had strong SF tendencies.

Correct he was a traditional prototype for the new era stretch four and physicality was his Achilles heel

Axe
10-05-2023, 03:46 PM
but, but cumbersome big man :facepalm
Hello, my loyal bitch. :roll: