PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts about this 50 points?

Kblaze8855
10-18-2023, 08:05 PM
https://youtu.be/MTQu6NL3KWc?si=XR5VCA1T_y_Vuk0n

no hurry. Watch it before bed. On the toilet. Whatever. Just give me a couple thoughts on what you see happening there.

Full Court
10-18-2023, 09:16 PM
Here are a couple thoughts.

I didn't see him travel a single time.

He has a finesse in finishing that not too many bigs have today. Maybe Jokic and Davis.

He would average 35 ppg in today's league.

Baller234
10-18-2023, 09:47 PM
the critique:

- primitive handle by today's standards. not as fluid, not as quick. no crossover dribble.

the praise:

- protected the ball and used his body to his advantage. looks like he had a go-to hook shot, something today's wings have totally abandoned.

Kblaze8855
10-18-2023, 09:59 PM
the critique:

- primitive handle by today's standards. not as fluid, not as quick. no crossover dribble.

the praise:

- protected the ball and used his body to his advantage. looks like he had a go-to hook shot, something today's wings have totally abandoned.

He had hooks with both hands but he had just about everything going to the basket. His go to was the finger roll though. Here he is washed up with a year left in his career hitting 6 or 7 vs the Bulls in Jordan’s rookie season

https://youtu.be/jVPyiARpyOg?si=Jr7PSEJKbNijJRZq

You can see he barely gets off the ground at that point though he was young by todays standards. Your 30s hit much harder in the 80s.

eliteballer
10-19-2023, 01:33 AM
the critique:

You mean players couldn't travel, palm the ball, and forearm defenders all at the same time like they can now? *shocked*.

dankok8
10-19-2023, 10:17 AM
Amazing hands and just excellent knack for positioning.

Gervin was also quite athletic as well. Not Dr J or Jordan level athletic but dude could jump and also move quite well.

Dbrog
10-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Dude had a nasty touch. He was a bit before my time but I remember going to a Spurs game after he had retired and a group of us got to meet with him after (it was a special thing for teachers/kids). Dude was showing off his fingerroll so we could see what it looked like. If you've ever heard the guy talk to he's got this smoothness about him. So anyway, after a little he asked us if we thought he could do a fingerroll over the backboard (from behind)..we were like nah nah no way and he had this little sly smile on his face. Oldman Gervin hits it first try, silky smooth, nothing but net...nasty man

Kblaze8855
10-19-2023, 12:25 PM
Dude had a nasty touch. He was a bit before my time but I remember going to a Spurs game after he had retired and a group of us got to meet with him after (it was a special thing for teachers/kids). Dude was showing off his fingerroll so we could see what it looked like. If you've ever heard the guy talk to he's got this smoothness about him. So anyway, after a little he asked us if we thought he could do a fingerroll over the backboard (from behind)..we were like nah nah no way and he had this little sly smile on his face. Oldman Gervin hits it first try, silky smooth, nothing but net...nasty man

the two nicest athletes I ever met in my life were George Gervin and BJ Armstrong. George took time with a People and never seemed like he thought he was better than anybody. I had a ball he took a shot with and signed for me and my dad in 1986 still at my grandmas house till they tore it down a few years ago. I forgot it was there.

WhiteKyrie
10-19-2023, 12:38 PM
I’m more concerned to this day that Sleepy Floyd scored 51 … on Magic Johnson … and not in a meaningless throw away back to back game in January. But in the ****ing playoffs

WhiteKyrie
10-19-2023, 12:40 PM
are the two nicest athletes I ever met in my life with George Gervin and BJ Armstrong. George took time with a People and never seemed like he thought he was better than anybody. I had a ball he took a shot with and signed for me and my dad in 1986 still at my grandmas house till they tore it down a few years ago. I forgot it was there.
I can indeed confirm BJ is nice af as well. Wennington was too. But two years ago Horace Grant definitely took the cake. Told me to pull up a seat and sat and had drinks with him and his lady for like 2 hours. James Worthy was a dick bag.

Kblaze8855
10-19-2023, 12:58 PM
I’ve never spoken to Horace but I’ve met most of the 80s and very early 90s bulls, other than him and Jordan. I’ve been close enough to Jordan to speak to him but I believe you’re old enough to remember how it was in those days. You couldn’t just get right up on him. Michael Jordan has heard my voice, but I’ve certainly never had a conversation with him. George stopped what he was doing in the middle of warm-ups and just came over to talk to people.

My young ass thought that was just how athletes were. Boy did I learn a lesson.

Shaq is like that though. Shaq isn’t nice for the cameras. Shaq will stop and talk to a Family and take a bunch of pictures with nobody around just because he sees the kid was excited to see him. Larry Bird seemed more approachable than I expected him to be when I saw him at an All-Star game, but I wasn’t about to go over there and bother him like some people were doing.

Xiao Yao You
10-19-2023, 01:06 PM
I talked to Sloan a couple of times. He was really cool. Much different than you'd expect from his on court demeanor. Jim McMahon was a douche as you might expect. David Benoit and Eric Murdoch were cool but they were only rookies at the time so they may have changed later. Stockton was with his kids and a bit of a douche and cheap skate as well

WhiteKyrie
10-19-2023, 01:06 PM
I would be more reticent to approach Bird for some reason. I still haven’t met Mike. Was face to face with Kobe, was cool. Could feel the glow and intensity. Cousin met him, she’s an entertainment lawyer in LA. Said he’s super nice. Used to talk to his next door neighbor, she said he’s cool and Vanessa is a massive kuhnt. I see that. I’ve heard mixed things about Iverson. Some good, some bad. Heard horrendous things about No Tippin Pippen. Heard mostly good things about Jordan. I obviously dislike LeBron but my sister met him and said he’s super nice. Haven’t met Wade or D-Rose and even though I live in the city they’re from, honestly don’t know anyone that knows either of them or has met them to get a description. One of my best friends is cousins with Evan Turner. Heard mixed things. And I couldn’t handle meeting him because he sounds like a ****ing muppet.

Kblaze8855
10-19-2023, 01:11 PM
Kevin Garnett is one of those people you feel like wouldn’t be approachable but he’s actually not that intense outside of sports situation. I’ve mentioned before that he dated my cousin when he lived in Mauldin and once he sits down you don’t even know he’s in the room. Now you go play ball? Even some casual pass the time shit?

He’s a lot. He’s a lot to be around while playing something competitive. Or at least he was in the 90s.

WhiteKyrie
10-19-2023, 01:20 PM
Kevin Garnett is one of those people you feel like wouldn’t be approachable but he’s actually not that intense outside of sports situation. I’ve mentioned before that he dated my cousin when he lived in Mauldin and once he sits down you don’t even know he’s in the room. Now you go play ball? Even some casual pass the time shit?

He’s a lot. He’s a lot to be around while playing something competitive. Or at least he was in the 90s.

I met KGs fine ass wife in Naperville

Pointguard
10-20-2023, 12:27 AM
Wow, on Moncrief! Runners, floaters, flips, bank shots, a long distance dip, a complete mid range game. Anywhere 24 feet and in. Didn't have a hotspot but didn't need it I see some of Bernard Kings game in there. Amazing that he could score 33ppg and be concerned with a cool style like he did here.

ShawkFactory
10-20-2023, 12:41 AM
Very much flow. Not in the flow of the offense but his movements.

The Q-Tip of basketball players. I've watched much more of him than this of course but every movement he makes seems to be easy and slow but with so much gusto and purpose that it's unstoppable. Nothing herky-jerky. No crazy footwork. No double moves to speak of and no garden variety crossovers. Pretty ugly shot. But he knew exactly what he was good at and his length was difficult given his touch.