PDA

View Full Version : NBA players who don't have their number/jersey retired

L.Kizzle
10-29-2023, 09:08 PM
It's ridiculous how some of these players don't have their jerseys in the rafters.

HALL OF FAMERS
Ray Allen
Walt Bellamy [Wizards]
Artist Gilmore [Bulls or Spurs]
Grant Hill [Pistons]
Bob McAdoo [Clippers]
Tracy McGrady [Magic or Rockets]
Chet Walker [Sixers or Bulls]

[B]FUTURE HALL OF FAMERS AND ALL-STARS
Mark Aguirre [Mavs or Pistons]
Carmelo Anthony [Nuggets or Knicks]
Vince Carter [Raptors or Nets]
Michael Finley [Mavs]
Marc Gasol [Grizzlies]
Joe Johnson [Hawks]
Shawn Marion [Suns]
Jermaine O'Neal [Pacers]
A'Mare Stoudemire [Suns]
Rasheed Wallace [Blazers or Pistons]

Full Court
10-29-2023, 09:14 PM
If I were a team owner, I'd be very stingy about retiring numbers. Not everyone who's a hall of famer should have his number retired.

L.Kizzle
10-29-2023, 09:37 PM
If I were a team owner, I'd be very stingy about retiring numbers. Not everyone who's a hall of famer should have his number retired.
Not sure if serious. Avery Johnson number is hanging up in San Antonio but Hall of Famers with scoring titles (McGrady), MVPs (McAdoo), 2nd All-Time in 3 pointers (Ray Allen) shouldn't have their jersey Retired?

Michael Jordan has his name hanging up in Miami.
The Blazers have like 5 guys no one has heard of (besides Walton and Lucas) from their 77 title team hanging in the rafters.

Full Court
10-29-2023, 10:52 PM
Not sure if serious. Avery Johnson number is hanging up in San Antonio but Hall of Famers with scoring titles (McGrady), MVPs (McAdoo), 2nd All-Time in 3 pointers (Ray Allen) shouldn't have their jersey Retired?

Michael Jordan has his name hanging up in Miami.
The Blazers have like 5 guys no one has heard of (besides Walton and Lucas) from their 77 title team hanging in the rafters.

How did you interpret my post as implying that I was in favor of retiring Avery Johnson's number?

Your examples are just making my point - that teams should be more stingy about retiring numbers.

1987_Lakers
10-29-2023, 10:57 PM

wtf. :oldlol:

Full Court
10-29-2023, 10:59 PM
wtf. :oldlol:

Do you disagree?

Reggie43
10-30-2023, 06:34 AM
Some of those guys just didnt stay long on their teams or won enough to justify their jerseys being retired imo.

Phoenix
10-30-2023, 07:37 AM
I'm guessing Ray Allen's beef with his HOF teammates from that 2008 team is why they haven't retired his jersey.

And not sure what Vince's relationship is with the Raptors, but the manner in which he left may be keeping his jersey out of the rafters as well.

L.Kizzle
10-30-2023, 01:13 PM
Some of those guys just didnt stay long on their teams or won enough to justify their jerseys being retired imo.

I've seen players with as little as 4 years have their jersey Retired. Team success shouldn't matter, that's what championships or division titles are for.
So, Artis Gilmore isn't good enough to have his jersey Retired? Denver and Atlanta retired Dikembe Mutombo's.

Wally450
10-30-2023, 01:15 PM
I'm guessing Ray Allen's beef with his HOF teammates from that 2008 team is why they haven't retired his jersey.

And not sure what Vince's relationship is with the Raptors, but the manner in which he left may be keeping his jersey out of the rafters as well.

That beef was squashed at last year's All Star game when the 75th anniversary team got together.

Ray just wasn't in Boston long enough to warrant getting his jersey retired.

pandiani17
10-30-2023, 01:35 PM

This. Also, it seems different teams follow different criteria to retire the numbers.

L.Kizzle
10-30-2023, 01:43 PM
That beef was squashed at last year's All Star game when the 75th anniversary team got together.

Ray just wasn't in Boston long enough to warrant getting his jersey retired.

But KG was? KG, Six seasons in Boston at 396 games
Ray, five seasons at 358 games.
38 games is the difference between one player having their jersey Retired and the other not?

WhiteKyrie
10-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Some guys bounce to way too many teams to have a jersey retired. Even if a HOF player.