PDA

View Full Version : In Season Tournament -- What are your expectations?

elementally morale
11-03-2023, 02:39 PM
So I heard about it many times, sure. But I didn't bother to check the details.

I see today's games are IST games. How does this work? They count as reg. season games too? So basically there are a few games that are both IST and reg season? If so, I think this is exciting because it will add more meaning to otherwise oftentimes boring November games. There will also be win or go home games, single elimination. OK, those are definitely not reg. season games.

Anyway: what do you expect? How much traction will this IST thing gain? At first I didn't like the idea, but I think I was wrong. It's actually interesting. Bragging rights for fans of the team ending up with the Cup at least under the 'real' playoffs.

What's your take on this?

Yes or No
11-03-2023, 02:41 PM
No.

Shaquille O'Neal
11-03-2023, 02:43 PM
My take is it will not be exciting and not mean anything. Like watching stiff-arm steroid guys doing layups. A snoozefest.

elementally morale
11-03-2023, 02:45 PM
My take is it will not be exciting and not mean anything. Like watching stiff-arm steroid guys doing layups. A snoozefest.

That was my first impression. I don't know why it is changing.

But do these games also count as reg. season games? If so, I sort of like the idea. If they don't I hate the idea.

FultzNationRISE
11-03-2023, 02:47 PM
So I heard about it many times, sure. But I didn't bother to check the details.

I see today's games are IST games. How does this work? They count as reg. season games too? So basically there are a few games that are both IST and reg season? If so, I think this is exciting because it will add more meaning to otherwise oftentimes boring November games. There will also be win or go home games, single elimination. OK, those are definitely not reg. season games.

Anyway: what do you expect? How much traction will this IST thing gain? At first I didn't like the idea, but I think I was wrong. It's actually interesting. Bragging rights for fans of the team ending up with the Cup at least under the 'real' playoffs.

What's your take on this?

Assuming it’s all single elimination in the bracket stage, the bragging rights arent worth much. They play best of seven in the playoffs for a reason. Anyone in this league can win a single game against anyone else. Obviously a few teams have no shot at going undefeated throughout a whole bracket, but a lot do.

Teams like Philly, Toronto, Minnesota etc could win the play-in tourney. Everyone knows theyre not winning a title. If those fans brag about winning the play in cup I think theyll just end up laughed at.

dankok8
11-03-2023, 02:53 PM
Assuming it’s all single elimination in the bracket stage, the bragging rights arent worth much. They play best of seven in the playoffs for a reason. Anyone in this league can win a single game against anyone else. Obviously a few teams have no shot at going undefeated throughout a whole bracket, but a lot do.

Teams like Philly, Toronto, Minnesota etc could win the play-in tourney. Everyone knows theyre not winning a title. If those fans brag about winning the play in cup I think theyll just end up laughed at.

Are you saying Lebron is participating in meaningless tournaments? :facepalm

elementally morale
11-03-2023, 02:54 PM

In other sports many of them have single game elimination. Tennis. Football (soccer) European and World Championship after the group stage. Big Soccer League Finals. Olympics in basketball. It works.

Street Hunger
11-03-2023, 05:30 PM
Seems like we're all going to learn what to think of this thing together tonight

Street Hunger
11-03-2023, 05:31 PM
I don't really know what to make of this tournament yet.

I think the courts look really cool for it. The special courts that they designed.

I guess what we're looking for most is to see if they play it with playoff level intensity

red1
11-03-2023, 05:47 PM
expecting it to suck

Duffy Pratt
11-03-2023, 06:05 PM
To the extent that it’s important, all it does is further devalue the regular season. Having said that, it probably doesn’t matter because it’s an awfully tough sell to convince anyone that it’s important. (Unless, of course, if LeBron wins the in season tourney MVP. Then it will really, really matter - to a rather large group of idiots. Let’s face it, Bill Russell never won that MVP.)

TJ44
11-03-2023, 06:09 PM
I think it is a good Idea.
NBA became pretty boring to me in the last Decade.
This could bring a fresh wind to gain attention for the casual viewers like me.

Real Men Wear Green
11-03-2023, 06:20 PM
I'm not strongly for it but some players and fans will take it seriously which means more intensity and better basketball. Although they may load manage it away this is the healthiest the Clippers will be so they should go all out for this.

fourkicks44
11-03-2023, 07:04 PM
That LL and Roots intro is the dopest shit I have heard in a long time.

ImKobe
11-03-2023, 07:11 PM
I expect younger teams/non-contenders to play harder than the best teams since they won't load manage their best players for some of these games. It helps drive some engagement in the early part of the season which is good for the league overall, since people usually don't care about the RS as much pre-ASB.

elementally morale
11-03-2023, 07:43 PM
I expect younger teams/non-contenders to play harder than the best teams since they won't load manage their best players for some of these games. It helps drive some engagement in the early part of the season which is good for the league overall, since people usually don't care about the RS as much pre-ASB.

That's what I think. And 500,000 dollars is actually a lot for most young players.

Intensity is great in the 1st game (Cavs-Pacers).

elementally morale
11-03-2023, 07:58 PM
Intensity is definitely up. Taking a glimpse at Knicks@Bucks now. This is not your typical November reg season game either.

HylianNightmare
11-03-2023, 08:38 PM
So it's literally just for money?

Real Men Wear Green
11-03-2023, 08:54 PM
So it's literally just for money?
No more so than any other games.

Shaquille O'Neal
11-03-2023, 08:56 PM
My real take - it's some half-baked idea to try to garner back viewership. Much of the country was turned off by all the BLM crap & activism on the court during 2020, the bubble playoffs, the 3 pt chuckfest every game. No matter your political views no one wants that crap with their sports, especially when slaves in China are making their NBA jerseys for pennies. Social justice really hasn't helped the league in any way. The 3 pt chuck fest has made its way down to high school and middle school ball - instead of basketball fundamentals all the kids are chucking nowadays.

Bring back actual defense, call traveling when it's 3 steps, get rid of all the palming/carrying, etc. The sport was so great even just 20 years ago, but really 80's and 90's was the best version.

coin24
11-03-2023, 09:06 PM
This in season 3 point comp is great so exciting to watch !!

imdaman99
11-03-2023, 09:13 PM
Intensity is definitely up. Taking a glimpse at Knicks@Bucks now. This is not your typical November reg season game either.

What do you mean? Julius Randle is still trash

ELITEpower23
11-03-2023, 10:31 PM
Are you saying Lebron is participating in meaningless tournaments? :facepalm

LeBron...