PDA

View Full Version : Does Wemby project more as AD or KG?

90sgoat
11-09-2023, 11:12 AM
Im Still Ballin (I think) made the good point that Wemby looks like a young AD, but that got me thinking, I actually see more of SF Kevin Garnett.

Skinny Garnett came into the league as a big wing, playing mostly in the open floor and taking jumpers.

It took some years before he grew into the PF/C role.

PP34Deuce
11-09-2023, 11:15 AM
Wemby looks like he will have more dog in him than AD.

Wenby gives me Ralph Sampson jonathan bender ability.

Axe
11-09-2023, 11:18 AM
Im Still Ballin (I think) made the good point that Wemby looks like a young AD, but that got me thinking, I actually see more of SF Kevin Garnett.

Skinny Garnett came into the league as a big wing, playing mostly in the open floor and taking jumpers.

It took some years before he grew into the PF/C role.
If wemby manages to gain more heft, then he can transition into this but apparently at the possible expense of his present agility also. He's a bit too skinny to become a cumbersome big yet but being a whole like that means becoming less versatile too.

90sgoat
11-09-2023, 11:24 AM
If wemby manages to gain more heft, then he can transition into this but apparently at the possible expense of his present agility also. He's a bit too skinny to become a cumbersome big yet but being a whole like that means becoming less versatile too.

Garnett was also really skinny as a rookie, but he did have broad shoulders, which Wemby doesn't seem to have.

90sgoat
11-09-2023, 11:24 AM
Wemby looks like he will have more dog in him than AD.

Wenby gives me Ralph Sampson jonathan bender ability.

I simply have no idea about what Ralph Sampson actually played like, outside a few highlights of hitting 3s.

Jud
11-09-2023, 11:28 AM
taller AD with more range

he has future dpoy written all over him

Axe
11-09-2023, 11:41 AM
Garnett was also really skinny as a rookie, but he did have broad shoulders, which Wemby doesn't seem to have.
Yes but doesn't wemby have an 8 ft. wingspan? Which probably offsets the slim shoulders he has.

Carbine
11-09-2023, 11:46 AM
Just look at these broad shoulders!!! Wow!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfQGBdw6ZKd65ozaMC1XS5jg7M-4qiDF3MCA&usqp=CAU

FultzNationRISE
11-09-2023, 11:55 AM
I dont think there are any 1:1 comparisons to make.

AD and KG are like 6'11. Yama is 7'3 and 1/2. The man's height is really unprecedented for a star in the modern era. Even Porzingis is "only" 7'1.

There's really no telling what exactly his trajectory will be. As someone mentioned, the more weight he adds perhaps the more mobility he loses. Which still may be a worthwhile tradeoff if he starts playing deeper in the post. It all just depends.

But I dont think you can compare him to anyone else right now. He looks poised to become a very good player at the least, but his exact ceiling is too tough to predict due to the unprecedented nature of his physique/skill set. They call him The Alien for a reason!

k0kakw0rld
11-09-2023, 12:02 PM
taller AD with more range

he has future dpoy written all over him
He's massively overrated

Phoenix
11-09-2023, 12:03 PM
His health and mindset will determine what he becomes. Skillwise, somewhere between KD and KG but with the potential shotblocking abilities of a David Robinson or Hakeem but we really need to give this dude a couple years. Maybe an extra 10-15 pounds on him so he isn't pushed off the post.

Speaking to the comment above about Porzingas... I thought he was listed at 7'3?

warriorfan
11-09-2023, 12:41 PM
He's massively overrated

he’s played less than 10 games you weird ******

guys like you are probably rooting for him to get injured so you could be “right” about your emotional lizard brain takes with no substance behind it

**** off

warriorfan
11-09-2023, 12:42 PM
His health and mindset will determine what he becomes. Skillwise, somewhere between KD and KG but with the potential shotblocking abilities of a David Robinson or Hakeem but we really need to give this dude a couple years. Maybe an extra 10-15 pounds on him so he isn't pushed off the post.

Speaking to the comment above about Porzingas... I thought he was listed at 7'3?

I think he was listing bare feet heights rather than the NBA listed

edit i’m not sure if he is because he listed davis at 6 11’ when that’s his nba height. I think Davis is closer to 6’9” than 6’11”.

FireDavidKahn
11-09-2023, 12:48 PM
Neither. He projects to be a player unlike we've ever seen before.

FultzNationRISE
11-09-2023, 01:41 PM
I think he was listing bare feet heights rather than the NBA listed

edit i’m not sure if he is because he listed davis at 6 11’ when that’s his nba height. I think Davis is closer to 6’9” than 6’11”.

Youre probably right, I just went with 6'11 for Davis because I wasnt sure and even a conservative estimate illustrates the height difference between Yama and everyone else.

As far as KP, he's listed himself as 7'1 on his own Twitter, and altho he's obviously very tall he doesnt look as noticeably outrageously tall among other NBA forwards as Yama does. But yeah, NBA teams always list guys taller than they are, I assume primarily to beef up their trade value right from the beginning.

But Yama is a confirmed 7'3.5 and that's way taller than any other player of consequence, basically ever. So there's just no telling how much advantage his height will add, and what sort of drawbacks it will include.